• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I was watching Hue & Cry earlier - the very first Ealing Comedy, released 1947, which I’d not seen before in which a bunch of kids foil a fur coat robbery scheme in London. Jack Warner plays the head villain, not his usual kindly policeman. Some great shots of London post war - bomb sites, derelict damaged buildings, Covent Garden.

Anyway, the minor strangeness - the kids comic which plays a major part in the story is called The Trump. In a warehouse scene in Covent Garden one of the boxes is marked BoToX.
Lavender Hill mob is my favourite Ealing comedy bar none, and I’d go so far to say one of my favourite films ever.

Sir Alec Guinness, Stanley Holloway, Alfie Bass, and a very young Sidney James.

Pure class.

You might like this Dick- some good 'then & now' shots. (Perhaps better to view on a desktop for clarity).
https://www.reelstreets.com/films/lavender-hill-mob-the/
Excellent Floyd. Just seen the pics, really good so thank you for that.

I first saw that film when I was 9 or 10 years of age and fell in love with it. Couldn’t see my own kids ever sitting down to enjoy a black and white film though, which is a shame.

For a light-hearted fortean black & white film there is “the Ghost of St Michaels” with Will Hay, and which also starred a very very young Charles Hawtrey.

Will Hay was a bit of an inventor apparently. One book I read on him speculated that he may have achieved motorised flight over the Yorkshire dales, before the Wright brothers achieved motorised flight over North Carolina..

Lavender Hill mob is my favourite Ealing comedy bar none, and I’d go so far to say one of my favourite films ever.

Sir Alec Guinness, Stanley Holloway, Alfie Bass, and a very young Sidney James.

Pure class.
A very young Sid James stars in the Titfield Thunderbolt, driving a steamroller. Great film. Vicar drives train sing "Morning has broken" we had an outdoor showing it in the woods by the old railway a few years ag. Very atmospheric, kids loved it.

Excellent Floyd. Just seen the pics, really good so thank you for that.

I first saw that film when I was 9 or 10 years of age and fell in love with it. Couldn’t see my own kids ever sitting down to enjoy a black and white film though, which is a shame.

For a light-hearted fortean black & white film there is “the Ghost of St Michaels” with Will Hay, and which also starred a very very young Charles Hawtrey.

Will Hay was a bit of an inventor apparently. One book I read on him speculated that he may have achieved motorised flight over the Yorkshire dales, before the Wright brothers achieved motorised flight over North Carolina..
No problem D. - Yes, I loved the old Will Hay films. They used to show them a lot when I was younger (along with Harold Lloyd). I've not heard that about the flight though. Very interesting.

... Will Hay was a bit of an inventor apparently. One book I read on him speculated that he may have achieved motorised flight over the Yorkshire dales, before the Wright brothers achieved motorised flight over North Carolina..

Hay was an avid aviator, but not quite as early as the Wrights. Hay was born in December 1888, meaning he was just turning 15 when the Wrights first powered flight happened.

The earliest documented Hay flying experience I can find concerns flying gliders after the Wrights' 1903 powered flight:
Will built and flew his own glider as far back as 1910, and was one of the first private plane owners in Britain. Later he performed dare-devil acrobatic stunts in bi-planes and impressed friend Amy Johnson with his piloting skills.
SOURCE: https://laughterlog.com/2009/05/19/will-hay/

Hay was an avid aviator, but not quite as early as the Wrights. Hay was born in December 1888, meaning he was just turning 15 when the Wrights first powered flight happened.

The earliest documented Hay flying experience I can find concerns flying gliders after the Wrights' 1903 powered flight:

SOURCE: https://laughterlog.com/2009/05/19/will-hay/
Thanks for that EG. I haven't got the book I read that Will Hay was the world's first motorised aviator, anymore, as I gifted it to a friend some years ago, but I'm sure it was called " I never knew that about England".

Where the author got that piece of info from about Will Hay, I'll never know.

I discovered (what appears to be) a 'blob' of smeared jam on the back of my wheeled chair at my desk, as though I have moved the chair away whilst eating a jam sandwich and one of my fingers was covered in goo which it deposited on the faux leatherette of the chair back.
The problem with this is that there is no jam in this house, and hasn't been for several years at least, or anything that could be mistaken for jam.
And I live alone and have had no jam-bearing visitors recently (or ever).
Had you been for a walk and got some kind of sap on your jacket, that got transferred to the chair when you sat down?

Had you been for a walk and got some kind of sap on your jacket, that got transferred to the chair when you sat down?
No.
Anyways, my jacket goes on a hook near the door as soon as I come in.
The blob was/is on the 'outside' back of the chair, not the 'inside' back, which is why I didn't notice it until I was behind it.
And it isn't a big smear, it's more of a blob that has been squashed by having my hand come into contact with it, as though my hand deposited it there.

No.
Anyways, my jacket goes on a hook near the door as soon as I come in.
The blob was/is on the 'outside' back of the chair, not the 'inside' back, which is why I didn't notice it until I was behind it.
And it isn't a big smear, it's more of a blob that has been squashed by having my hand come into contact with it, as though my hand deposited it there.

And so it begins.....
Screenshot_20220326-094304_Google.jpg

Reminds me of when I was schoolkid and I used to take packed lunches and there was this one boy who always used to bring a bottle of Malt Vinegar and drink it, and everyone thought he was an oddball.
It wasn't until years later that I realised that maybe that was just the bottle he used for his drink. Maybe apple juice or summit.

A few weeks ago my friends's daughter invited us to her 40th birthday party. We cant go so sorted out a suitable birthday card to send. Yesterday I looked through all my old photos for a picture I had taken holding her when she was 6 months old, I thought it would be nice to put it in the card. Despite a long search I couldn't find it anywhere.
This morning I had a text from her and included with the text was the very photo I had been searching for! She had been looking through her photos at the same time as me and thought I would like to see it!
Psychic resonance at play?

Another coincidence, my husband comes from Hackney and we were there yesterday. We went past one of the parks and he was telling me about how he and his friends would meet at the bandstand. I’m reading a book about Harold Pinter and last night I read one of his poems which mentions exactly the same bandstand

My mates brand new Tesla has been doing some unexpected things.
He has owned it since about August and in these few months it has decided not to let him get in on a number of occasions.
One morning it had decided to do a 'cabin warm up' without being told to, and way too hot.
He also had the window wipers deciding to not work on a few occasions.
The main touch screen can be reluctant to work properly if he has cold hands, for some reason.
They're really only minor things though, mostly he doesn't stop enthusing about how good it is.
I have had to remind him that he is lucky that his workplace has fast chargers installed and he is one of only 3 people there with an electric car.
His charger at home takes all night to give him a decent charge up, and that's if he can actually get parked outside his own house. I reckon he would get rid of it if he had to change jobs cos he lives out in the sticks a bit.

Back