• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Quotations

The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.”

Jack Kerouac.
'On the Road' 1957.

1677080970243.png

1677081008575.png

Actually, having a look Schopenhauer has a few crackers...

"The greatest of follies is to sacrifice health for any other kind of happiness."

"Compassion is the basis of morality."

"Each day is a little life: every waking and rising a little birth, every fresh morning a little youth, every going to rest and sleep a little death."

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world"

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others"

"There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Think of it - always."

The great Mahatma Gandhi

I think I have a new favourite engineering quote:
"Science can amuse and fascinate us all, but it is engineering that changes the world.” - Isaac Asimov

It will now sit at the right hand of:
“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

A now sadly neglected poet - Edna St. Vincent Millay. Her book A Few Figs from Thistles is more than pleasing.

My candle burns at both ends
It will not last the night
But ah, my foes! and oh, my friends!
It gives a lovely light!

Ever since I heard it, I've liked "if a thing is worth doing, it's worth doing badly."
Homer was, as usual, paradoxically right. A thing that's worth doing might need practice so it's certainly worth doing badly at first.
Very few people can, say, ride a bike or play a musical instrument intuitively. They need to repeatedly fall off or make a cacophony first.

Homer was, as usual, paradoxically right. A thing that's worth doing might need practice so it's certainly worth doing badly at first.
Very few people can, say, ride a bike or play a musical instrument intuitively. They need to repeatedly fall off or make a cacophony first.
There is a good interview with James Hunt from the mid 70's when at the height of his fame, where the interviewer (a bit of a prat) asks whether he is proud of what he's achieved. Hunt replies that, ''No, not really because it just happens that I am naturally good at driving a racing car. I am only proud when I achieve something that I find difficult''.

I think the big mistake in schools is trying to teach children anything, and by using fear as the basic motivation. Fear of getting failing grades, fear of not staying with your class, etc. Interest can produce learning on a scale compared to fear as a nuclear explosion to a firecracker.

Stanley Kubrick

There is a good interview with James Hunt from the mid 70's when at the height of his fame, where the interviewer (a bit of a prat) asks whether he is proud of what he's achieved. Hunt replies that, ''No, not really because it just happens that I am naturally good at driving a racing car. I am only proud when I achieve something that I find difficult''.
Good old Hunt the Shunt. ;)

Hunt was so extraordinarily talented, he felt able to take actions on the track for which others might be called 'reckless'.
On the basis of this quality his name became immortalised in rhyming slang.

A truly great Brit. :bthumbup:

Good old Hunt the Shunt. ;)

Hunt was so extraordinarily talented, he felt able to take actions on the track for which others might be called 'reckless'.
On the basis of this quality his name became immortalised in rhyming slang.

A truly great Brit. :bthumbup:
And as the marshal (who he had just punched) sank to his knees, he did apologise to him. Old school.

All that's true, yes. But I also take from it the encouragement that, for example, while we won't all become Ginger Rogers, we can still enjoy dancing.

"If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There’s no point in being a damn fool about it." Attributed to W.C. Fields but probably not original.

Sometimes employees are required to do tasks which make no sense, don't contribute to the organization, or are actually counter-productive. Tasks which only satisfy some idiotic requirement put into place by someone not familiar with the work or the organization. These tasks should only get the minimum effort; while putting effort into tasks which made a difference.

Sometimes employees are required to do tasks which make no sense, don't contribute to the organization, or are actually counter-productive. Tasks which only satisfy some idiotic requirement put into place by someone not familiar with the work or the organization. These tasks should only get the minimum effort; while putting effort into tasks which made a difference.
Which employers require this? Or is dumping them general government advice?

Back