• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Quotations

Which employers require this? Or is dumping them general government advice?
Every employer I have worked for, private and public sector, has had some idiotic requirements. Some of these requirements originated from within the organization; some were governmental (Federal, state, city) requirements for "cover your ass" reporting.

Every employer I have worked for, private and public sector, has had some idiotic requirements. Some of these requirements originated from within the organization; some were governmental (Federal, state, city) requirements for "cover your ass" reporting
I get that. Crossed wires, thought you meant the specific advice to ignore the requirements came directly from the government.
Individually covering one's ass is always good though. :wink2:

From the end of the film The Beach- which was not as good as the novel, a line spoken by Leonardo DiCaprio's character;

''And me? I still believe in paradise. But now at least I know it's not some place you can look for. Because it's not where you go. It's how you feel for a moment in your life when you're part of something. And if you find that moment, it lasts forever''.

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”

“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”

- Nikola Tesla

Sometimes employees are required to do tasks which make no sense, don't contribute to the organization, or are actually counter-productive. Tasks which only satisfy some idiotic requirement put into place by someone not familiar with the work or the organization. These tasks should only get the minimum effort; while putting effort into tasks which made a difference.

“There is nothing so useless as doing efficiently that which should not be done at all.”

~ Peter Drucker

maximus otter

There is a good interview with James Hunt from the mid 70's when at the height of his fame, where the interviewer (a bit of a prat) asks whether he is proud of what he's achieved. Hunt replies that, ''No, not really because it just happens that I am naturally good at driving a racing car. I am only proud when I achieve something that I find difficult''.
For part of his life Hunt was a big drinker, smoker and substance user, and very much enjoyed the company of women.
The hardest thing he ever did, I reckon, was give up his dangerous habits and settle down. He was a good father to his two sons.

Hunt died in his sleep from just one huge heart attack at 45, not much older than my own kids are now.
Today he'd only be in his mid-70s. What a loss.

Today he'd only be in his mid-70s. What a loss.
Well that's true, but if everyone lead a 'normal' life where would we be without the Hunts/Morrisons/Kerouacs/Bonhams/Moons/Wildes/Hendrix's/McQueens/TrevParkers/Jones/Joplins/Byrons/Coleridges/Huxleys/Presleys/Enwistles/Pigpens/Wilsons/Garcias...... et al?

Well that's true, but if everyone lead a 'normal' life where would we be without the Hunts/Morrisons/Kerouacs/Bonhams/Moons/Wildes/Hendrix's/McQueens/TrevParkers/Jones/Joplins/Byrons/Coleridges/Huxleys/Presleys/Enwistles/Pigpens/Wilsons/Garcias...... et al?
Where would we be? Where we are now, maybe with a little less tabloid rubbish to read. Sobriety is sooo boring.

Well, without the 'normal lives' doing the actual sh1t that keep society functioning and available for creatives to skate over while pretending they're above all that...they'd have to get regular work like everyone else I guess.

Well, without the 'normal lives' doing the actual sh1t that keep society functioning and available for creatives to skate over while pretending they're above all that...they'd have to get regular work like everyone else I guess.
I know who I'd rather be.

Given the recent discussions about Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl and others who have fallen foul of the serial offence-takers, this superb quotation of national treasure Stephen Fry springs to mind;

"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what?"

Given the recent discussions about Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl and others who have fallen foul of the serial offence-takers, this superb quotation of national treasure Stephen Fry springs to mind;

"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what?"
"Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right." Ricky Gervais

Two favourites, both of which I first came across in the Horniman Museum in London:

What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the winter time. It is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset. (Dying words of Chief Crowfoot, Blackfoot Nation)

To be honest, I find maxims designed to illustrate how small we are compared to the bigness of everything else, and how fleeting our existence is, kind of ten a penny. What sets this one aside for me is the sheer evocative power of the final image.

Also, from the Tuareg poet, Hawad:

And when we are tired of pinching and rubbing against the nerves of our horizons, we know it's time to seek the desert...

Sends a shiver down my spine.

One of Stanley Green's original placards - photographed in the Museum of London:

No sitting.jpg

That's proper uplift and enlightenment, that is. Especially the bit about sitting.

One of Stanley Green's original placards - photographed in the Museum of London:

View attachment 63984

That's proper uplift and enlightenment, that is. Especially the bit about sitting.

I’d never knowingly heard of Stanley Green until seeing this.

I was amused to see that, despite all of his advocacy for vegetarianism and “just sitting”, he died at the (UK average age of) 78.

maximus otter

“Really, you can only know someone as much as they want you to know them; and in turn, only as much as you want to know them, too”

My Mum.

My grandad.

As previously reported on the Martial Arts Nonsense thread:

My grandad's zen masterly advice, when I started doing the boxing training:

"If you can't talk your way out of a fight - walk away. If you can't walk away - run away. If you can't run away - punch the buggers so hard that their mother feels it."

The Aussie/British comedian Steve Hughes says something along the lines of ''Be offended then! Nothing happens. People don't say 'I went to see a comedian and he made a joke about our Lord and I was offended and I woke up the next morning and I had leprosy' ''.

I remember this one from a toilet wall at work:
Do not lead for I may not follow,
Do not follow for I may not lead,
Do not walk beside me for we may have different destinations,
Actually... just fuck off and leave me alone.
It didn't say underneath; 'Dave woz 'ere' perchance?

Back