• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I had asked the builder who did some work at the house if he knew a good locksmith to fix the one on the security door at the back.
Today a chap came to the door so that he could have a look at it.
When I opened the door he said that he knew me and that he used to own a hardware shop in the next suburb.
It's been closed for years and I probably only ever went there about twice.
I thought what a wonderful memory for faces he must have.
I once walked past a classroom window and recognised a teacher as someone of whom I'd seen a tiny photo in a university prospectus.
We later introduced ourselves and I eventually handed over the paperwork.

He was delighted as he hadn't known he was in it. :)

Also that he wasn't the 'Before!' example. :rollingw:

Slight surprise at the nut under this egg from the supermarket. Found while cooking:
20230304_183827.jpg

Several times recently I've been sitting with my laptop in the early evening and momentarily felt I was back in the living room of the house where I used to live. I've even glanced up when it has happened, half expecting to see that room.
It just happened again. I was doing some work on my laptop and the feeling goes almost before I'm aware of it.
Most peculiar.

An extra key has mysteriously appeared on my personal bunch of keys. This is very strange: as is the case with most people, I certainly know my own keys. And this is a weird interloper.

It looks like a key for a small expensive padlock.

And (despite handling all sorts of keys across my various professional involvements) I have absolutely no idea where it has come from, or how it could've got there.

It just happened again. I was doing some work on my laptop and the feeling goes almost before I'm aware of it.
Most peculiar.
I’ve had that happen to me while I’ve been meditating, or prior to it when I’m in a relaxed state. I’m suddenly either where I was born in the country, in that bedroom, or my mother’s house here in town. Even the light from the windows is sensed and the scents. It’s so real.

The Universe is having fun with me today.

First, I lay down for a late afternoon nap. My doorbell rings. It takes me ages to actually get up and answer it. I get there and there's no one. BUT! But,but,but,but, BUT, a potato had been placed on the floor leaning on my door. The heavy side was up, so when I opened the door, it sort of "walked" into the apartment. Okay, cool, free potato.

Now, I just went over to ask the neighbors who denied knowing anything, so if it wasn't from them, and I don't think it was from two other neighbors (it's an eight unit building and I don't trust several of the units), it's going in the garbage. Here's the thing. As I pulled the apartment door shut to go ask the neighbors, I clearly heard something drop onto the floor. Didn't worry about it, figured I'd check on it when I got back from talking to the neighbors. I get back and can't identify this thing on the ground. I pick it up and...it's a mini-chocolate chip cookie, clearly homemade.

I have no idea where in the hell it possibly could have come from. I've not had any cookies like that...I think ever. It was maybe an inch in diameter. The bottom was burned black, so someone forgot to take it off the sheet pan while it cooled. But that's all I know.

I handled that potato from all sides (trying to determine if it was rotting) so the cookie didn't hitchhike in on that. It wasn't right next to the door, so didn't "fall off" or get knocked off something, somehow. For all I can tell, it just apported.

Several times recently I've been sitting with my laptop in the early evening and momentarily felt I was back in the living room of the house where I used to live. I've even glanced up when it has happened, half expecting to see that room.

I get this too! For me it happens when I'm lying in bed. Sometimes I feel like I'm back in my teenage bedroom, but it's a bit disorientating because the windows and room dimensions are wrong. Akin to deja vu, but not quite the same. I've been putting it down to wiring in the old noggin going slightly askew. :nods:

An extra key has mysteriously appeared on my personal bunch of keys. This is very strange: as is the case with most people, I certainly know my own keys. And this is a weird interloper.

And (despite handling all sorts of keys across my various professional involvements) I have absolutely no idea where it has come from, or how it could've got there.
Come on it's the padlock key to your secret stash of gold bullion. Can't fool us.

I believe that Peggy from Married With Children was from Wanker County, Tennessee.

I think it’s a combination of:

a) Americans genuinely not knowing what some English swear words mean (wanker, bugger), and;

b) Some scriptwriters who did know what they meant, but tried to sneak them past the censors.

maximus otter
That's the answer I'm sure. I see Americans and Canadians on YouTube using the b word in all sorts of contexts.

it's the padlock key to your secret stash
No such luck- but I am investigating an inspired theory as to what the key is intended for.

More will be revealed on that once I'm able to inspect an example of a type of key that I'd never heard of before (until I searched online for pictures of key types based upon verbal descriptions). At that point I'll make some physical comparisons.

If I'm right, it still won't explain how the hell it got there. It's a genuinely weird and slightly-scary situation.

No such luck- but I am investigating an inspired theory as to what the key is intended for.

More will be revealed on that once I'm able to inspect an example of a type of key that I'd never heard of before (until I searched online for pictures of key types based upon verbal descriptions). At that point I'll make some physical comparisons.

If I'm right, it still won't explain how the hell it got there. It's a genuinely weird and slightly-scary situation.
Has someone in your house put the key on your keyring so they'll remember where they put it?

Dunno about knowing your own keys. I have a couple of strugs with mine, doorkeys that I faintly remember being given when asked to water someone's plants or feed their cat when they're away.

As I can't remember whose they are or if I need to give them back or bin them they will be with me forever.
Or until Blue Peter holds another charity key collection. :chuckle:

I'm cleverer now and wouldn't put a key like that with my own. It'd be on a separate clip.

So I reckon you will remember where yours came from. ;)

Similar to PeteS's theory- Family members playing a prank on you?

You can see how this could drive someone insane, especially when done at the level that the Stasi used to do. Moving furniture, taking stuff, leaving stuff etc.

So, I don't know whether you'd call this minor strangeness, or simple bad luck, but I seem to have a curse when it comes to cars.

At the tail end of 2021 I inherited a 10yr old Volvo from my father who'd decided to stop driving due to age and ill-health.

The very first trip I took in it, the engine completely cut out whilst on the M1 which was... interesting...
2 weeks after that was resolved, I was once again on a motorway when the front drivers side tyre overtook the the rest of the car...

After 4 new wheels & tyres, it was back on the road, only for an engine warning light to flash at me.
The issue with that caused the light was never seemingly resolved.

In the further six months that I owned that car, there were three, yes *three* more tyre blowouts, and despite the best efforts of various garages (I had the the new wheels checked by a second garage, just to check there wasn't an issue with the work of the first) no underlying issues were discovered.

I came to the conclusion that the car was trying to kill itself, or me...

Anyway, when it came for it's MOT and the repairs which would have cost almost double the value of the car, I chose to cut my losses, and put the Volvo out of its misery.

I then bought a 3yr old, low mileage Infiniti.
Given it's a Mercedes engine, in a Japanese engineered chassis you'd think reliability...

Within 3 days of the car being delivered there was both an engine warning light (which engaged limp mode), and warning on the pressure of one of the tyres.

This meant the car going back to the seller (a well known brand. Rhymes with Wazoo. I do not recommend) for an extended period, during which time I had a courtesy car, which a few days after I had picked up, was ran into the back of whilst I was stood at some red lights...

I received my car back, only to have the rear brakes need replacing a further 300 miles later, and that pesky tyre pressure still not be resolved...

The brakes, though not the tyre, were sorted, and then came an issue with the central locking, which again meant back to the garage...

Anyhoo, for the past month, all has been quiet on the car front until yesterday morning when I went for a walk in a local park.
On returning to my parked car I found a very worried looking older gent, his bent Tesla, and my very dented car…

All of this has happened within the space of about 16 months.

Now, I'm sure you're thinking (assuming you've had the patience to read this far), are the mechanical issues related to my driving style...?
Well, to try and ensure low insurance, given all my other automotive costs, I have a black box fitted, so it's really not in my interests to speed, or drive aggressively.

So, the only conclusion I can come to is that I have somehow incurred the wrath of the motoring Gods.

Buying used cars usually just means you're inheriting somebody else's problems, which was why they got rid of it in the first place.
I expect to have issues with any car I buy, it's just a matter of whether or not I find those issues resolvable.

You can see how this could drive someone insane, especially when done at the level that the Stasi used to do. Moving furniture, taking stuff, leaving stuff etc.
This is just how being a married woman is. Husbands do all that and then deny they had anything to do with it.
The daily struggle.
*sigh*

Buying used cars usually just means you're inheriting somebody else's problems, which was why they got rid of it in the first place.
I expect to have issues with any car I buy, it's just a matter of whether or not I find those issues resolvable.
Yup, my current car was suspiciously dirty when I went to view it.
The male/wallet present dismissed my girly suspicions of rust and light denting. :rolleyes:

Turned out, I got off lightly.
The previous owner had been one of those key-freaks who love to gather up as many little penis symbols keys as possible to put on his keyring, making him look hugely important and masculine, and scratching the paint around the door handle when he opened it.

An artistic dusting of mud disguised the damage, as I'd guessed.

Yup, my current car was suspiciously dirty when I went to view it.
The male/wallet present dismissed my girly suspicions of rust and light denting. :rolleyes:

Turned out, I got off lightly.
The previous owner had been one of those key-freaks who love to gather up as many little penis symbols keys as possible to put on his keyring, making him look hugely important and masculine, and scratching the paint around the door handle when he opened it.

An artistic dusting of mud disguised the damage, as I'd guessed.
I once took an old Sierra for an mot in Crewe and they guy said that due to all the rust and 'sharp edges' around the bottom of the door, he'd have to fail it. But, he said if I were to go away and cover it in duct tape so there were no sharp edges, it would be fine and he's pass it.

I once took an old Sierra for an mot in Crewe and they guy said that due to all the rust and 'sharp edges' around the bottom of the door, he'd have to fail it. But, he said if I were to go away and cover it in duct tape so there were no sharp edges, it would be fine and he's pass it.

He was just being honest! I understand that MOT testers aren't authorised to remove anything stuck to a car, even duct tape. I'd like to think that if the rust had been structural, he wouldn't have given you the same advice.

I get this too! For me it happens when I'm lying in bed. Sometimes I feel like I'm back in my teenage bedroom, but it's a bit disorientating because the windows and room dimensions are wrong. Akin to deja vu, but not quite the same. I've been putting it down to wiring in the old noggin going slightly askew. :nods:
Interesting. There are thoughts that time is happening at once and I wonder if you could catch sight of a different time (although yours is different place). Mainly because our house has so many puzzles. I’d like to pop back for a nose. My problem is every time I try to meditate I relax too much and fall asleep.

Interesting. There are thoughts that time is happening at once and I wonder if you could catch sight of a different time (although yours is different place). Mainly because our house has so many puzzles. I’d like to pop back for a nose. My problem is every time I try to meditate I relax too much and fall asleep.

When I get that feeling it's always been in the early evening.
I wondered whether the people living in that house now ever catch a glimpse of a shadowy something when it happens.

He was just being honest! I understand that MOT testers aren't authorised to remove anything stuck to a car, even duct tape. I'd like to think that if the rust had been structural, he wouldn't have given you the same advice.
Back then, some mot stations would have passed a vehicle with no floor if you made it worth their while.

Back