• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Horror TV

Is that true? A few peeps whose opinions I respect say the same. I've always assumed it's teen consumerist pap.
Nope. I was definitely not a teen when it came out. I watched it before it was known. I thought Buffy the Vampire Slayer (movie) was hilarious and so started with the series when it first came out. Humorous, serious, everything. My favourite characters were Spike and Drucilla - nasties.

A new TV series based on Friday the 13th has been announced that, as far as I understand, deals with Pamela Vorhee's back story.

Crystal Lake

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15219326/

acrystallake001.jpg

Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin: This has a new storyline to the previous Pretty Little Liars shows. But it does concern high school teens )five girls are the main protagonists), a slasher. bullying, the whole thing seems to be linked back to the death of a schoolmate of their mothers back in 1999. There are flashbacks to 1999 but most of the action takes place in the present. While this is a well worn trope in this show the script, direction and acting prove above average and make it well worth watching. There are many twists to the plot, with a corrupt and abusive sheriff, suicides, killings, red herrings and secrets the girls keep even from each other just as their mothers did and still do. Yeah, there is violence and gore, very much adult level horror. Created by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Lindsay Calhoon Bring. 8/10.

Watched it on BBC, should be on iPlayer now.

Chambers: This is a 2019 Netflix show but I only just watched it and I am annoyed that they cancelled it after one season. Sasha Yazzie (Sivan Alyra Rose) is a teen Amerindian girl who suffers a heart attack and is in the right place at the right time to get the heart of a girl, Becky (Lilliya Reid) who died in an accident. The deceased girl's family are wealthy and want to become part of Sasha's life, giving her a scholarship to an exclusive school which Becky attended, Uma Thurman plays Becky's mother, . Sasha's uncle (and guardian) Frank (Marcus Lavol) is upset at this and borrows from a loan shark to show that he can provide for Sasha's needs, the inevitable ensues. There is some other soapish stuff about romance and bullying but it is all at an adult level. As is the horror: soon Becky seems to be appearing in Sasha;s mind, guiding her thoughts, even actions. Sasha's other Amerindian relatives (Frank is estranged from them) see evil spirits at work. Mostly a dark brooding atmosphere and the strange tangled lives of Becky's family contribute to the psychological horror which builds as the narrative unfolds. As does the actions of a cult, there are many plot twists and red herrings before we reach the resolution of this tale. Of course you also get some violent deaths and gore and flashbacks provide necessary back story. Created and co-written by Leah Rachel. Ten episodes on Netflix. 8/10.

I liked October Faction and half way through when I was just getting into it, discovered that it had been cancelled.

Anyone watching Red Rose? It's just arrived on Netflix, It's really grim and i don't just mean the horror APP, which is effective. It's the grinding poverty and hard lives of some of the characters. It's as if Ken Loach is directing/writing it. I'll stick with it and report back.

An original horror series exploring the relationship between teenagers and their online lives. Set and filmed in Bolton, `Red Rose' follows a group of friends in the summer after taking their GCSEs as their phones get slowly taken over by an app that threatens them with dangerous consequences if they do not meet its demands. A sense of danger looms over the protagonists, and whether real or imagined, the dark web or something supernatural, with a story of friendship that emerges through the convention of classic horror.

Anyone watching Red Rose? It's just arrived on Netflix, It's really grim and i don't just mean the horror APP, which is effective. It's the grinding poverty and hard lives of some of the characters. It's as if Ken Loach is directing/writing it. I'll stick with it and report back.

An original horror series exploring the relationship between teenagers and their online lives. Set and filmed in Bolton, `Red Rose' follows a group of friends in the summer after taking their GCSEs as their phones get slowly taken over by an app that threatens them with dangerous consequences if they do not meet its demands. A sense of danger looms over the protagonists, and whether real or imagined, the dark web or something supernatural, with a story of friendship that emerges through the convention of classic horror.
Watched on the IPlayer, really enjoyed it. Worth sticking with it.

Started watching Korean apocalyptic horror Sweet Home on Netflix.
What starts off as just vaguely creepy, soon descends into insanely OTT body horror, with some social commentary thrown in.
Think it will be worth staying the course for all 10 episodes (with a promise of more to come).
If you've got to the end of Alice in Borderland and are looking for something in a somewhat similar vein, give Sweet Home a try.

Started watching Korean apocalyptic horror Sweet Home on Netflix.
What starts off as just vaguely creepy, soon descends into insanely OTT body horror, with some social commentary thrown in.
Think it will be worth staying the course for all 10 episodes (with a promise of more to come).
If you've got to the end of Alice in Borderland and are looking for something in a somewhat similar vein, give Sweet Home a try.
Oh looking forward to that then. I really enjoyed Alice in Borderland.

Oh looking forward to that then. I really enjoyed Alice in Borderland.
But be warned that Sweet Home, whilst sharing with AiB the mystery, apocalyptic vibe of baffled people thrown together and trying to make sense of life become nightmare, is significantly nastier and does ramp up the Grand Guignol horror!

Just started watching this. Impressed with the accents considering many of the cast aren’t from Bolton. It’s an interesting concept and excited to see where it goes.

Just started watching this. Impressed with the accents considering many of the cast aren’t from Bolton. It’s an interesting concept and excited to see where it goes.

I've finished it, was really impressed at the way the plot developed. Some good scenes of horror but it's mostly psychological. The Killer APP is a well worn trope but Red Rose takes a fresh approach, always surprising in it's twists and turns. Definitely a strong 8/10.

Red Rose: Another Killer APP, is a well worn trope but Red Rose takes a fresh approach, always surprising in its twists and turns. I was really impressed at the way the plot developed. Some good scenes of horror but it's mostly psychological. A group of teen friends in a grim northern UK town, Bolton, finish school and await their exam results. It's really grim and I don't just mean the Horror APP, which is effective. It's the grinding poverty and hard lives of some of the characters. It's as if Ken Loach is directing/writing it.There are the usual teen traumas, some bullying, heartbreak over romances, family problems, but this feeds into the narrative rather than providing a sideshow, We;ve already seen a girl die due to the APP Red Rose, and now it turns up on the phone of one of the teens. Strange events follow, there is apparent communication with dead people, phones send disturbing/troublemaking messages seemingly at will. Red Rose knows what everyone is doing, where they are. The death toll mounts as the series veers between Fantasy and Science Fiction (but always Horror) as the APP manipulates more people. Great acting from an ensemble cast. Created and written by Michael and Paul Clarkson. Eight episodes on Netflix. 8/10.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19788500/

Red Rose: Another Killer APP, is a well worn trope but Red Rose takes a fresh approach, always surprising in its twists and turns. I was really impressed at the way the plot developed. Some good scenes of horror but it's mostly psychological. A group of teen friends in a grim northern UK town, Bolton, finish school and await their exam results. It's really grim and I don't just mean the Horror APP, which is effective. It's the grinding poverty and hard lives of some of the characters. It's as if Ken Loach is directing/writing it.There are the usual teen traumas, some bullying, heartbreak over romances, family problems, but this feeds into the narrative rather than providing a sideshow, We;ve already seen a girl die due to the APP Red Rose, and now it turns up on the phone of one of the teens. Strange events follow, there is apparent communication with dead people, phones send disturbing/troublemaking messages seemingly at will. Red Rose knows what everyone is doing, where they are. The death toll mounts as the series veers between Fantasy and Science Fiction (but always Horror) as the APP manipulates more people. Great acting from an ensemble cast. Created and written by Michael and Paul Clarkson. Eight episodes on Netflix. 8/10.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt19788500/
Just finished it. Superb TV. I just now need to get my wife to watch it. But she says I have to watch Narcos first.

You still watching "Sweet Home"?

I'm 3 episodes in now and wonder if I may have divined the twist.
I haven’t watched it the past few days because I was working afternoons and extra hours. I think I am on episode 3. I didn’t quite pay attention to the first episode because it seemed to monsterish to me, but now think I have to go back and rewatch it to see the set up of the whole story. Yes it is getting interesting. My take on it is that it is not necessarily chronological. I know the first episode doesn’t start at the beginning, but I’m wondering if the rest of the story is not chronological either. I do watch it subtitled because I hate dubbed anything, so sometimes I miss nuances because I am busy reading.

I've just finished Lockwood & Co. Absolutely loved it.

Joe Cornish really knocked it out if the park adapting this.

STEPHEN!!!!
I'm just watching this now. Loving it - the whole 'alternative world', the old cars and lack of technology as though everything is stuck in 1980, and The Problem and all that. It's wonderful stuff!

Room 104: An American television anthology series created by Mark Duplass and Jay Duplass, four seasons of 12 episodes. I'm just nearing the end of Season 2 and it might best be compared to the original Twilight Zone. A mixture of Horror SciFi,, Psychological Drama Comedy and Fantasy. All of the actin takes place in Room 104 of a motel. We get ghosts in walls, Cult rituals played out, Mormons losing their faith but miracles occur, an extremist is planning to bomb a convention. We get an episode which is related through interpretative dance, a maid in her 40s reconnects with her younger call girl self. Another story narrated through songs as a man pieces together how he ended up in Room !04. both of these are poignant pieces with good performances. The Ghost/woman in the wall episode is disturbing, nay horrifying, as is a tale where two men meet up to engage in mutual cannibalism. Quality varies but all are at lest worth watching. So far I give it 7.5/10. On Sky sci-fi.

The Glory: South Korean revenge thriller series which strays into the horror zone. Like many SK TV series' this has 16, hour long episodes which can prove a bit daunting even when the early episodes are quiet good. In this case it was split into two parts. The first i gave 9/10, the second 7/10. Truly disturbing school bullying involving physical abuse and bought off/indifferent teachers and police. It doesn't help that bullying victim Moon Dong-eun (Song Hye-kyo) has an alcoholic mother who is also easily bribed. The gang of bullies is led by Park Yeon-jin (Lim Ji-yeon) whose wealthy mother pays to cover her misdeeds even when she is responsible for the death of another student. The adult Dong-eun sets out to take revenge on the gang of bullies, confronting them, inserting herself into their lives. Naturally they fight back. A lot of psychological horror but there are some really disturbing scenes of violence. Shamanism also features with some impressive scenes of possession. A bit melodramatic at times, it could have been completed in less episodes but it is a convincing narrative with a good ensemble cast. Written by Kim Eun-sook and Directed by Ahn Gil-ho. Sixteen episodes on Netflix. 8/10.

@blessmycottonsocks, have you finished Sweet Home? I liked the theme of what makes a monster.

Watched the 10th episode last night.
I quite enjoyed it for the most part, but felt it lost momentum by around episode 3 and a lot of dialog-heavy scenes and the main players' back-stories did drag a bit.
When the action did occur, it was amazing though.
The series finale did go out with a bit of a whimper though and I'm not sure when series 2 will be available.
Overall I'd probably rate it as a 7/10.

Back