Horror TV

FunkyTT

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Bram Stokers Dracula film is on the horror channel right now,,!, One of my fave films .
I've been watching American Horror Stories online, it's a new series with stand alone episodes . Some episodes are better than others, I recommend the Ba'al episode, the "naughty list" , the cursed film one and " feral" .

The American Horror Story proper is also back ! Double Feature. I watched the first 2 episodes online last night and it's excellent so far. .... Which is good because some of the later seasons (Roanake and 1984 in particular) have been flops compared to the early seasons.

With Double Feature it is looking to be back on form! I won't write any spoilers, just watch it!

FunkyTT

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Crimson Rivers Season 2 showing on More4 Fridays at 9 pm and will end up on All4. "Muti" murders; Relics stolen, priest crucified upside down. Good stuff.

I will deffo be checking that out, sounds right up my street.,

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Midnight Mass: Catholic Guilt, alcoholism, mass killing of feral cats, new priest arrives on an island after the old priest goes on a pilgrimage to Israel/Palestine. Three episodes in it's spooky and weird. Hypocrisy and manipulation in a small community also figure. As do a clash of faiths. In episode 3 there's a reveal which you may have guessed at. Get your teeth into this one! Created, Directed and (mostly) Written by Mike Flanagan. On Netflix. 8/10.

Mike Flanagan Explores His Private Horrors in ‘Midnight Mass’
In the new Netflix series, the acclaimed adapter of works by Shirley Jackson and Stephen King tells a more personal story.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/24/arts/television/midnight-mass-mike-flanagan.html

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Essay/Review of Midnight Mass which also looks at the wider trope of Religious Horror.

Warning: Here Be Spoilers!

Of all the subgenres of horror, religious horror tends to be my favorite.

When it’s good, you get all-time classics like Rosemary’s Baby, Hereditary, and The Exorcist. When it’s over-the-top, you get operatic shit like The Omen, Hellraiser, or, for my money, Constantine. And when it commits to being goofy as hell, you get… The Conjuring series. Even the bad examples of the genre will provide decent exorcism scenes or fun Satanic cults. And religious horror has inspired fantastic comedy like Good Omens, SNL’s Exorcist II, and some of the funniest scenes in This is the End.

This essay is going to dive into Midnight Mass’ place in the tradition of religious horror, and the Catholic iconography used—and it’s going to spoil everything, so if you want a light spoiler review you can head over here, but otherwise this essay assumes you’ve watched the whole show.

In most of these movies, religion is used in one of two ways: Catholicism is a creepy backdrop that is only vaguely understood by the protagonists, and adds to the horror; Catholicism is a series of rituals that are used to ward off the horror element—spiritual caulk plugging a crack in a wall. (And yes, it’s almost always Catholicism.

I think Catholicism is just more visual. Where Protestantism lends itself to stark meditations on faith and doubt like First Reformed and most of Ingmar Bergman’s oeuvre, Catholicism is colorful and ancient. Exorcisms just sound better in Latin.)

Rosemary is a lapsed Catholic who doesn’t think about religion much, and thus is vulnerable to the Devil and her shitty, shitty husband. Chris MacNeil is actively atheist, and thus can’t protect her daughter Regan from Captain Howdy. The elite family of The Omen are Catholic, but don’t seem to practice… until it’s too late. (muahahaha.) Ed and Lorraine Warren use rosaries like dowsing rods to locate demonic entities, then yell rote prayers at increasing volume until the demons get fed up and leave… FOR NOW. (muahahaha.)

But, until recently, you didn’t get conversations about what demons are, what evil is, what it would mean to live in a universe where this stuff was all real. (Plenty of people live in a universe where this stuff is all real, and plenty of people don’t, and it’s the same universe, and the cultural ramifications of this fact will never stop being interesting to me.) Suddenly, I live in a universe where I can rewatch the two perfect seasons of The Exorcist TV spinoff. I can watchEvil. And now, I can watch Midnight Mass. ...

https://www.tor.com/2021/10/01/religious-horror-and-horrific-religion-in-midnight-mass/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Post Mortem: No One Dies in Skarnes: Horror, (sort of) Nordic Noir and Black Comedy merge in this tale of small town Norwegian life. A woman is found dead in a field but comes back to life on the autopsy table. Soon she has strange thirsts, yes, she's a vampire. Some in the town know whats really going on, a mystery that dates back to her mother's death decades ago. There's also the family undertaker business which is going under as not enough corpses are going underground. A gritty dark thriller leavened y gallows humour and the keystone antics of the local cops. Directed by Harald Zwart and Petter Holmsen, written by Holmsen, Sofia Lersol Lund and Øyvind Rune Stålen. On Netflix. 8/10.