• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hollywood's Pointless Remakes, Reboots, Prequels & Sequels

l thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was nice to watch a film made by people who evidently remembered that l wanted to be entertained; not harangued, reproved, lectured or converted.

maximus otter
I wasn't going to even consider watching it (having been brought up on the original) but I may have to re-think my stance on it now.

The histrionics at the Oscars rather back up your views
The inability of the 'privileged' Hollyweird crowd to behave is annoying and silly, to say the least.
A year later and we are still hearing about it - as if anyone cares! :)

Frankly, I'm so unimpressed with films of the last 10-or so years that I've got into watching old movies on You Tube.
There were so many that may not have been well-known but the actual plots and acting are still worth watching.
The Break, Cone of Silence, When 8 Bells Toll, and Girl in The Headlines immediately spring to mind. Sure some of the situations and humour might be dated but old comedy films like Double Bunk or Ladies Who Do appeal to me far more than any so-called comedies of recent airing.

Frankly, I'm so unimpressed with films of the last 10-or so years that I've got into watching old movies on You Tube.
There were so many that may not have been well-known but the actual plots and acting are still worth watching.
The Break, Cone of Silence, When 8 Bells Toll, and Girl in The Headlines immediately spring to mind. Sure some of the situations and humour might be dated but old comedy films like Double Bunk or Ladies Who Do appeal to me far more than any so-called comedies of recent airing.
There are tons of old British mysteries and thrillers on youtube, that I really enjoy!

My personal favourite channels are "Flick Vault" and "Pizza Fix".

It's hard to find anything decent out there be it films, hundreds of TV channels and numerous subscription channelsnad just of the whole thing put can still watch Ricky Gervais putting the boot in at his last one hosting.
If only Will Smith had slapped Ricky Gervais.....

Disney is now moving ahead with a live action remake of Moana, which came out all of 6 years ago.
At this rate the live action remakes will soon come before the actual cartoons.

Dear Lord, I thought this was a joke. It's worse: it's a series.
Wait for Terry and Steve, the remake of Thelma and Louise .. it's going to be awesome because, and get this ......... it's going to defy all gender stereo typing by casting two 'whacky' men as the lead characters instead this time!! .. brilliant!!

To be fair, there's been a few buddy movies as that described by Swifty ( ;) )
"What a Carve Up!" (Sid James and Kenneth Connor), "Dumb and Dumber", any of the "Road to ..." series with Crosby and Hope, to be going on with. They are a natural by-product of decades of male comedy duos of the funnyman-straightman format.
Thelma and Louise was outstanding for a start as it portrayed women as capable of spontaneous action and independent desires.

Though, I understand what Swifty is getting at: nearly all remakes/reboots/re-hashes are feature-swapped, not to suit an agenda perhaps but to try to put a new spin on an old story.

Perhaps it's cheaper to re-hash a story you already own, rather than actually risk an original story?

They are going to have to computer animate the cats, that ain't cheap. The Aristocats isn't one of the more popular/iconic Disney cartoons so built in audience isn't what it would be for the remakes of The Lion King, The Little Mermaid etc So I'm not quite sure what the appeal is here, possibly cross promoting the original?

I recall listening to a podcast around the time the abomination that is The Lion King remake came out and one of the presenters said they knew someone working in the section of Disney that handled the remakes and there was already mild panic as they didn't have too many of the more popular/bankable Disney movies left.

That The Lion King remake was truly an astounding technical achievement and simultaneously The Death of Art. I cannot get over how lifeless, pointless and inert it was. The point of animation is you can anthropomorphise and stylise animals in cartoony ways and get them to be appealing and doing things actual animal wouldn't. Photorealistic lions which all the look the same, with expressionless faces doing mostly typically things does not work in a fucking children's musical. Not to mention the uncanny valley nature of it all.

It made $1.6B and that alone proves humanity must end. They have a planned photoreal/"live action" prequel about Simba's dad, my guess is that this makes a quarter what the previous one made and they don't do it again. If you think I'm being hyperbolic, the second live action Alice movie did just over a quarter of the first.

Disney is now moving ahead with a live action remake of Moana, which came out all of 6 years ago.
At this rate the live action remakes will soon come before the actual cartoons.

I presume the only reason that they haven't announced a Frozen remake is that they are working on a third animated one and don't want brand confusion while the cartoon franchise is still extant/profitable.

Would it be easier to make/sell 'cartoon' characters than real life actors, for toys?
Yeah, I know - real-life action figures are collectable by adults who have the disposable income, but cartoon toys can sell in tie-ins to fast-food joints, etc. Also, wouldn't the actual design/carving be far simpler (cheaper) than trying for reaslism?

Would it be easier to make/sell 'cartoon' characters than real life actors, for toys?
Yeah, I know - real-life action figures are collectable by adults who have the disposable income, but cartoon toys can sell in tie-ins to fast-food joints, etc. Also, wouldn't the actual design/carving be far simpler (cheaper) than trying for reaslism?

I assume so, I imagine the tie-ins for the live action remakes are somewhat stylised and not totally "realisitc".

Hardly a dilemma.

iu

So ... same as Mulan and all the rest which feature female protagonists.
Though, in fairness, that's the theme of nearly all Disney productions. I suppose the real message is "You should believe in yourself ... as long as you take guidance from a multimillion dollar soulless corporation!"

So ... same as Mulan and all the rest which feature female protagonists.
Though, in fairness, that's the theme of nearly all Disney productions. I suppose the real message is "You should believe in yourself ... as long as you take guidance from a multimillion dollar soulless corporation!"

Not just ones with female protagonists and not just Disney films, Hollywood has been selling the myth of self belief automatically equating to exceptional success for decades.

It's almost like it's a religion...

Self-belief in itself is a good thing, but it can develop into delusion or narcissism.
Sometimes you can fail no matter how hard you try or believe in yourself. Sometimes you can't do things. Sometimes it's good to walk away from failure, analyise what you did wrong and fix it.

Self-belief in itself is a good thing, but it can develop into delusion or narcissism.
Sometimes you can fail no matter how hard you try or believe in yourself. Sometimes you can't do things. Sometimes it's good to walk away from failure, analyise what you did wrong and fix it.

Absolutely, having faith in yourself is good but we are not all going to be filmstars, international sports people, millionaires etc or anything anywhere near that.

Absolutely, having faith in yourself is good but we are not all going to be filmstars, international sports people, millionaires etc or anything anywhere near that.
I often have more respect for someone who has tried and failed -sometimes failed terribly- than the ones who are a 'success' (whatever that really means).
The guy who starts a business that fails, or suffers hardship on an attempt to live half-way around the world for eg - especially when they haven't had the 'head start' that the next guy may have done.

While they're very admirable jobs, being a Doctor or Lawyer (the two most often cited as 'successful' jobs that we must strive for) along with filmstars/sportstars/CEOs's..... they're not the be all and end all of life. Or shouldn't be considered to be.

I often have more respect for someone who has tried and failed -sometimes failed terribly- than the ones who are a 'success' (whatever that really means).
The guy who starts a business that fails, or suffers hardship on an attempt to live half-way around the world for eg - especially when they haven't had the 'head start' that the next guy may have done.

While they're very admirable jobs, being a Doctor or Lawyer (the two most often cited as 'successful' jobs that we must strive for) along with filmstars/sportstars/CEOs's..... they're not the be all and end all of life. Or shouldn't be considered to be.

I agree, I don't think many people necessarily realise this though, they just see a successful person and presume hard work, when, in actuality the greatest predictor of your earnings is your parents' earnings.

I agree, I don't think many people necessarily realise this though, they just see a successful person and presume hard work, when, in actuality the greatest predictor of your earnings is your parents' earnings.
Yes. Certainly in most cases anyway. I know there's always the case of the guy from the slums of Glasgow who became a multi millionaire, but it very rarely happens that way- although.... a great story here from @Mungoman that you may like!;

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/the-you-that-might-have-been.61406/page-4#post-2176236

Back