• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The You That Might Have Been

I was reading something recently about people needing to embrace their average-ness, to not expect or need to be wildly successful or rich to be happy. To feel that they could have a fulfilling life without constantly striving for more. Which is a nice idea but don’t we all need a little bit of desire for more, or we just wouldn’t get out of bed in the morning? Anyway i don’t know that you can say you have messed up your life as there isn’t a perfect life that you were heading for that you didn’t get to.

Day-dreaming about my future life when young, I hoped for a wife, a house, a mortgage, 2.4 kids, a dog and a couple of small ulcers. But it seemed the more I strove for a 'normal' quiet existence that so many took for granted, the further it got away from me. In my teens I was given some invaluable insight - where you find yourself in life is largely governed by your personality rather than by circumstances. Thus I have been at several life-changing crossroads (do I go left or right ?) but in hindsight both roads seemed to have ended up more-or-less at the same spot via different scenery. Now that I have made my bed I intend to lie in it.

As an aside, I once Googled my name and found a match in a younger man on 'Friends beyond the Wall' (a pen-pal site for romance-seeking inmates of a Californian Penitentiary). Most poignant part of his profile was the small note at the bottom. Parole date : unknown.

I am in a good place, me and the Mrs. retired, nice family, but I was always disappointed how hard it was to get to this state.

It seems some people just easily slide through life like “ Teflon “.

I actually thought I wanted to be a teacher, but that didn’t happened.

Actually today, being a teacher seems to be a thankless job and in the U.S. poorly paid because county systems don’t have the money.

I learned a good lesson from my American Depression Era parents, never, never give up.

My father actually sleep in a bathtub when he was a youngster in his house.

My mother said her family always worried about food and fuel for the car.

Last edited:
Years ago I read Ozzy Osbourne's biog. When he was 17 he was sent to prison for a while and when he came out he had no idea what to do, so his Mother got him a job in the Lucas car factory.

He was in a room with a conveyor belt that continually fed him car horns. His job was to pick a horn up, press a button to make it work, adjust with a screwdriver if necessary, put it into a container and then press a clicker - for 8 hours.
One day the older guy who he was working with in the room had a big grin on his face. ''What are you so happy about?'' Ozzy asked him. The guy replied ''I get my gold watch next month''. Ozzy asked what this meant and he said it was because he'd worked there for 25 years. ''You've worked at this factory for 25 years?'' Ozzy asked in disbelief. The man said ''Yes, I've worked in this room doing this job for 25 years''.

My point is, that because we're all so different in what we like/dislike enjoy/don't enjoy, isn't it very likely that many of us won't end up how (we think) we'd have liked to? Mathematically impossible for most of us I would say.
That guy for example, was perfectly happy doing that job for 25 years. I'd have walked after half a day, max.

Then of course there is chance/fate whatever you want to call it. Going back to old Ozzy- if the music shop hadn't simply forgotten to take down his advert asking for a band/gig from their window - (as he'd told them to do months before) then the other guys wouldn't have seen it and gone knocking on his door. Of course, you could argue that what happened was always going to happen...............

Ever since I was a teen I've had a 'vision' of another version of myself. I'm always sitting on a window seat looking out. I somehow know I'm living alone in a stone cottage with feet thick walls and I'm content and happy. This vision of myself ages at the same rate I do.

Years ago I read Ozzy Osbourne's biog. When he was 17 he was sent to prison for a while and when he came out he had no idea what to do, so his Mother got him a job in the Lucas car factory.

He was in a room with a conveyor belt that continually fed him car horns. His job was to pick a horn up, press a button to make it work, adjust with a screwdriver if necessary, put it into a container and then press a clicker - for 8 hours.
One day the older guy who he was working with in the room had a big grin on his face. ''What are you so happy about?'' Ozzy asked him. The guy replied ''I get my gold watch next month''. Ozzy asked what this meant and he said it was because he'd worked there for 25 years. ''You've worked at this factory for 25 years?'' Ozzy asked in disbelief. The man said ''Yes, I've worked in this room doing this job for 25 years''.

My point is, that because we're all so different in what we like/dislike enjoy/don't enjoy, isn't it very likely that many of us won't end up how (we think) we'd have liked to? Mathematically impossible for most of us I would say.
That guy for example, was perfectly happy doing that job for 25 years. I'd have walked after half a day, max.

Then of course there is chance/fate whatever you want to call it. Going back to old Ozzy- if the music shop hadn't simply forgotten to take down his advert asking for a band/gig from their window - (as he'd told them to do months before) then the other guys wouldn't have seen it and gone knocking on his door. Of course, you could argue that what happened was always going to happen...............
An in-law just retired after 30+ years in the same company/site. I simply can't imagine ever being able to do that anywhere. Even the occasionally irksome necessity to suck some crap up to keep the roof over the familiy's head doesn't last that long. But then I guess it works for them (I hope).

I was born in Canada, then left as a baby. I'd never been back but always felt some part of me as Canadian (I'm not sure if that makes sense, but whatever nationality you are, whether you are patriotic or not, there's something inside). I went back, however, for my 50th birthday. I was reeling when I was there. I thought that my personality would be fundamentally 'me', no matter what. But everything I found screamed at me that I would be an entirely different person to who I am if we had stayed and I grew up there. It was a very strange experience.

I was pondering this question only the other day. I failed maths O Level and then GCSE four times. No maths meant I was ineligible for SO MANY jobs, teaching, farm management, etc that I may otherwise have gone into. My total inability to draw AT ALL meant that I couldn't apply for my other choices of career, which were garden design or archaeology.

If I had managed to squeak a C in my maths O Level, my entire life would have been vastly different, but, saying that, my adult life has been pretty delightful up until now, and right now I am practically living the dream. I've had three different careers, all really enjoyable jobs, and now I have my dream job as an author. But if I'd passed my maths O level I probably would have gone to university, become a teacher and everything would be so different right now.

My only big regret is not getting any art and musical training as a youth.
From an early age I was drawn strongly to the visual arts and music. But my parents actively discouraged it. ESP Dad, and Mom did what Dad said. They wouldn’t buy me an instrument or take any lessons, or even take band or art in school. Dad wanted an athlete and a scientist or engineer, not some kinda “artsy” kid. So my requests were regularly ignored, ridiculed, and if it cost any time or money, outright denied. Always plenty of time and money for sports or outdoor pursuits, and a whoopin if I didn’t make straight As. So that’s what I did, go figure. Except becoming a scientist or engineer that is. My teenage rebellion yrs and the consequences of that pretty much squelched Pops ambition for me in that regard. I did manage an economics degree and a career in finance eventually but that’s another story.
So art and music became something I pursued only in my spare time. I was probably a better artist when I was in elementary than now, drawing was a passion back then. I taught myself to become a half ass decent self taught musician over a lifetime, beginning as a young adult when I could 1st afford a guitar with my own money.

I honestly believe if I had been given the encouragement and training beginning as a small child I could have made a professional career out of art or music, or both.
Dad eventually came around to understand me but by then I was a grown man and on my own.
But the past is past, can’t change it. Otherwise I got no real complaints or regrets.

I was pondering this question only the other day. I failed maths O Level and then GCSE four times. No maths meant I was ineligible for SO MANY jobs, teaching, farm management, etc that I may otherwise have gone into. My total inability to draw AT ALL meant that I couldn't apply for my other choices of career, which were garden design or archaeology.

If I had managed to squeak a C in my maths O Level, my entire life would have been vastly different, but, saying that, my adult life has been pretty delightful up until now, and right now I am practically living the dream. I've had three different careers, all really enjoyable jobs, and now I have my dream job as an author. But if I'd passed my maths O level I probably would have gone to university, become a teacher and everything would be so different right now.
That puts me in mind of a Somerset Maugham (or someone of that ilk) short story, about the owner of a thriving chain of newsagent/tobacconist shops. When his bank manager finds out our man is illiterate, he exclaims "just imagine what you could be doing if you could read and write!" Our hero replies - I paraphrase - "No need to imagine, I'd be the verger at St Martin's." I'll leave the chain of events as an exercise for the reader.

An Anecdote...

A young country fella, not too skilled, and illiterate, went for a job - it was as a sanitation technician (read toilet cleaner).

When he arrived for the interview, he was handed a questionnaire and told to fill it out. Embarrassed, he explained that he couldn't write or read. The other fella handling the interview explained that the applicant needed to be able to read and write due to weekly written reports required.

The young fella walked away from the interview, totally pissed off. As he walked down a back alley, he saw a large wooden box, which he promptly kicked to pieces, which relieved some of the frustration he was feeling.

He realised that he'd made a mess so he started to tidy up the kindling that was left, and stack it on the side of the alley. As he was doing this, the owner of a pizza place walked past, and seeing the kindling, asked if he wanted to sell it as his business could do with the wood - which was difficult to find in the city.

The Pizza fella asked if he could supply regularly to him for his wood fired pizza oven...which got the young fella thinking. The young Fella said yes, and then asked how much. As the owner of the pizza place had 8 pizza places that were all wood fired, the total was a nice little earner.

The young Fella started buying his wood straight from the saw mill and supplying his Pizza mate...who had friends in other cities that needed wood to fire their wood fired ovens.

Pretty soon that young Fella bought the saw mill, and he then started employing contracting teams to source the timber for the saw mill and all the pizziera's that he was supplying.

After twenty years or so, this young fella was middle aged, and owned all saw mills on the eastern side of Australia, which supplied rough and dressed timber to many, many outlets.

He realised that he was capable of buying out every saw mill in the country and so, set up a meeting with the various owners of saw mills, hardware outlets, and joinery shops.

At the meeting, he was handed the various prospectus of the companies involved and was asked to peruse them for his benefit - which he promptly handed on to his Wallah to do.

The others though that this was quite sensible, and praised him for it, to which he told them the truth, which was he couldn't read - this prompted one corporate boss to wonder out loud what he would've become if he'd been able to read. To which that Middle Aged Fella said...A toilet cleaner.

Story Ends.

An Anecdote...

A young country fella, not too skilled, and illiterate, went for a job - it was as a sanitation technician (read toilet cleaner).

When he arrived for the interview, he was handed a questionnaire and told to fill it out. Embarrassed, he explained that he couldn't write or read. The other fella handling the interview explained that the applicant needed to be able to read and write due to weekly written reports required.

The young fella walked away from the interview, totally pissed off. As he walked down a back alley, he saw a large wooden box, which he promptly kicked to pieces, which relieved some of the frustration he was feeling.

He realised that he'd made a mess so he started to tidy up the kindling that was left, and stack it on the side of the alley. As he was doing this, the owner of a pizza place walked past, and seeing the kindling, asked if he wanted to sell it as his business could do with the wood - which was difficult to find in the city.

The Pizza fella asked if he could supply regularly to him for his wood fired pizza oven...which got the young fella thinking. The young Fella said yes, and then asked how much. As the owner of the pizza place had 8 pizza places that were all wood fired, the total was a nice little earner.

The young Fella started buying his wood straight from the saw mill and supplying his Pizza mate...who had friends in other cities that needed wood to fire their wood fired ovens.

Pretty soon that young Fella bought the saw mill, and he then started employing contracting teams to source the timber for the saw mill and all the pizziera's that he was supplying.

After twenty years or so, this young fella was middle aged, and owned all saw mills on the eastern side of Australia, which supplied rough and dressed timber to many, many outlets.

He realised that he was capable of buying out every saw mill in the country and so, set up a meeting with the various owners of saw mills, hardware outlets, and joinery shops.

At the meeting, he was handed the various prospectus of the companies involved and was asked to peruse them for his benefit - which he promptly handed on to his Wallah to do.

The others though that this was quite sensible, and praised him for it, to which he told them the truth, which was he couldn't read - this prompted one corporate boss to wonder out loud what he would've become if he'd been able to read. To which that Middle Aged Fella said...A toilet cleaner.

Story Ends.
I think this should also act as a cautionary tale. If the pizza man had contacted the saw mills direct, HE could now be super rich and running the entire Australian pizza market.

I think this should also act as a cautionary tale. If the pizza man had contacted the saw mills direct, HE could now be super rich and running the entire Australian pizza market.
Or, does the literate person with that kind of mindset just do even better? Or does the illiterate business owner find he suddenly signed away his majority share...and so on and so forth.

I dislike the kind of (*cough* Branson) anecdote that suggests you can just strike out without educuation and it'll be fine because it worked out for them. This generally overlooks a number of things, like (a) luck (b) possibly rather more of a hand up that they admit to (it's worth looking a little harder at these 'self made' tycoon stories, they often have a string of fails and someone paid for those) and (c) it hinders attempts to improve the educational standards for the vast majority who need literacy and numeracy to make a living.

Or, does the literate person with that kind of mindset just do even better? Or does the illiterate business owner find he suddenly signed away his majority share...and so on and so forth.

I dislike the kind of (*cough* Branson) anecdote that suggests you can just strike out without educuation and it'll be fine because it worked out for them. This generally overlooks a number of things, like (a) luck (b) possibly rather more of a hand up that they admit to (it's worth looking a little harder at these 'self made' tycoon stories, they often have a string of fails and someone paid for those) and (c) it hinders attempts to improve the educational standards for the vast majority who need literacy and numeracy to make a living.
Yes, agreed. A nice story about a 'helping hand' here though;

Rick Wakeman (keyboard player in YES and all round damn fine chap) was in a taxi and when he got to where he was going he went to pay the driver. ''That's alright Mr Wakeman, this one's on me'' said the taxi driver. Thank's very much, can I ask why? ''Your Father died recently didn't he?'' Rick said yes, that was true. The taxi driver told him that many years ago he'd worked for Rick's Father in a factory and one day he was called into his office. His Father said to him that it looked like there were a few problems down on such and such floor, to which the guy admitted there were. ''You can't read or write can you?'' Rick's Father asked. The guy told him no, he couldn't. Rick's Father said that if he was prepared to stay behind after work for an hour each day, he'd teach him to read and write. The guy agreed and kept his word to stay after work and, learnt to read and write. That's how he was then able to get 'the knowledge' to be a London cabbie.

In one factory my dad worked in there was an older chap who had worked there for 40 years . He was one of those who worked on extra for nothing and always boasted of how well thought of by the company he was and when he came to retire he was fully expecting a big 'do' as a send off. When it came to his last day he was presented with a cheapo carriage clock on the shop floor by a junior manager of about 25. My dad always said after this that all he ever owed an employer was two weeks notice:)

I too have been pondering this very topic recently. I am currently at a crossroads in my life (not work related) so the subject feels quite pertinent.

I had been brought up to make my own choices, although strongly encouraged to write. I had this idea that I might want to become a journalist, travelling the world, lots of adventure, never remaining anywhere long enough to settle - that thought terrified me, for some reason, so I vowed never to buy a house. I also toyed with the idea of becoming a sailor/pig farmer/theatre actress. Mmmm...
In truth, my choices were perhaps largely down to incredible parental support and privilege, for which I am ever thankful, yet wonder whether it allowed me to stay 'floaty' as opposed to becoming more grounded - being ferried everywhere, I didn't even bother to learn to drive until later in life...I simply took it for granted that my path would unfold. Alternatively, my sibling was the exact opposite, choosing the more sensible route (car, study, career, homeownership).

I drifted into the arts in my late teens, still writing but not quite dedicated enough to pursue it academically beyond A-level. I decided to study photography and signed up for a foundational course with a view to leaping onto a Degree. However, it was during this phase of study that I happened to walk through the fine art foundation studios one afternoon and (since they were empty for lunch) had a good mooch around.
That was it, for me. Something of a defining moment - a kind of folding 'outwards' of myself into the future; it felt like having come to the edge of the abyss and jumping into eternity. As if the universe had opened up in front of me. From that moment I have never wavered or been tempted to, and from that moment I also knew that there would be a lot that I had to give up in the process of embarking on this particular path.

I switched courses a few weeks later and continued study into my mid to late twenties, when I met my long term ex partner - another artist in a different field. There was a fork in the road here, where I had the option to fulfil another long held ambition: to move far away. I chose, instead, to remain within at least 70 miles of home so that we could be together. And I do regret that. It is my one, single regret, although I can't say that it has presented me with any real issues.

I never did buy a house, with a focus on savings as opposed to more material assets. My artist's income has been somewhat...generously fluid with rather wild forays in each direction, and whilst the living is essentially modest, I have led a comfortable life devoting myself primarily to what I adore.
I create illustration and design (commercially) which supports and compliments my personal work (painting), the shifting of which moves at a much slower pace, yet still retains a decent market. Whether one can make a full time living as an artist is largely down to luck (or perhaps the ability to remain open/flexible to new ideas), so there is always this sense of 'not knowing' which you have to get used to, I think.

I wonder what I might have become if my parents had been more strict, if I had been pushed to conform to a certain type. My peer group when young all fulfilled the middle class prescription laid out before them, and many of them are doing extremely well. My future remains something of an open book, which terrifies me, but still feels strangely exciting. We are all warned of the pitfalls of 'making our own way', but I have managed to get to my late 40's intact. This would not have been possible if my parents hadn't (wiped my arse) supported me throughout, so I certainly can't claim that I have worked against the odds. The odds, in fact, are now ahead of me.

Every now and then, there is another version of myself like @Wombat68 in her cottage; a sort of vision of a 'me' cosseted by thick walls, an open fire, muddy boots at the door and masses of books, stones, twigs, ephemera surrounding me. And I see myself sat there (probably scrolling forteana.org) dressed like a fisherman's daughter with my hair wild about my shoulders and a jackdaw chattering nonsense in my ear. Alone, with nature and very content, like a heroine from a Leonora Carrington story or Townsend Warner's Lolly Willowes.
I have lived in a few lovely cottages which might match the description but the one in my mind seems different somehow, as if I may have known it all along (or before...) yet it remians forever out of reach. Perhaps there are so many potential versions of ourselves that the very question could only tie us in knots. I believe that we are perpetually unfolding, evolving, learning. If only life was long enough to fit all of it in!
I would be tempted to put in a few more orders from life, can I have some parallel lives, please? So that I can remain an artist in one, a geologist in the other, and possibly a detective or philosopher in yet another.

If I envision myself having gone into a reliable profession, I can definitely perceive success (I might have purchased property in Southern France/Italy...), although I may have longed to break away from that more lucrative life to circle right back to ....where I am now...and on we go. There is also a very strong possibility that I am simply a very steadfast, dream-addled idiot :D..

Last edited:
Fascinating thread. A cautionary tale froma friend of mine. He is a very talented model maker with a real talent for painting model soldiers/figures. Some years ago he was asked if he would paint about 150 or so for someone. A price and time for completion were agreed. He completed them and the client was well pleased. However my friend did not enjoy the job, it stopped being a passtime and something that reaxed him because he had to complete it and do a good job and have it done in time. He could have made more money than at his actual job had he taken this up but it would have destroyed his interest in his hobby.

The stories above also reminded me of the Python Ken Shabby sketch.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:11c98aae,vid:Bq22AX_LHts

Fascinating thread. A cautionary tale froma friend of mine. He is a very talented model maker with a real talent for painting model soldiers/figures. Some years ago he was asked if he would paint about 150 or so for someone. A price and time for completion were agreed. He completed them and the client was well pleased. However my friend did not enjoy the job, it stopped being a passtime and something that reaxed him because he had to complete it and do a good job and have it done in time. He could have made more money than at his actual job had he taken this up but it would have destroyed his interest in his hobby.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:11c98aae,vid:Bq22AX_LHts

There is a lot of truth to this.
My mother owned cafe's, restaurants and catering businesses when I was young, so I grew up around the food industry. I always enjoyed cooking and am a good cook.
Until my wife and I bought a cafe' some years back. It destroyed my enjoyment of cooking and cooking for others almost immediately.
Only now, some 11 years after selling it, have I started buying and reading cook books again.

I can't create something that exists only in another person's head, so can relate to this. I have to work in my own time, to my own pace, then the business comes after. I once created a piece of work for a lady in Australia (or the US) who had a pet groundhog. She wanted me to picture it floating up into the sky in a pretty, floral air balloon. That would have been around £600 for a few hrs work. Terribly funny though, and quite lucrative if you can drum up the interest. Thankfully she loved it... but never again!

So so many people want to become authors because they 'love writing'. I'm an author. Two books a year, and it's not all swanning about and doing 'research trips' and signing books and all that. It's hard bloody graft, bum on seat, keyboard open and no such thing as 'writer's block' because if you don't deliver you don't get paid. It's a job. Which takes a lot of the fun out of it.

But it's what I always knew I'd do. Somehow. I knew I'd be a writer and live in my little cottage with my pets (well, one awful dog, but she'll do) in the countryside. There were times when my life could have gone other ways but something always intervened to steer me to where I am now.

Well, all the international alligator-wrestling jobs were taken, anyway.

So so many people want to become authors because they 'love writing'. I'm an author. Two books a year, and it's not all swanning about and doing 'research trips' and signing books and all that. It's hard bloody graft, bum on seat, keyboard open and no such thing as 'writer's block' because if you don't deliver you don't get paid. It's a job. Which takes a lot of the fun out of it.

But it's what I always knew I'd do. Somehow. I knew I'd be a writer and live in my little cottage with my pets (well, one awful dog, but she'll do) in the countryside. There were times when my life could have gone other ways but something always intervened to steer me to where I am now.

Well, all the international alligator-wrestling jobs were taken, anyway.
Be adventurous; wrestle a crocodile.

I too have been pondering this very topic recently. I am currently at a crossroads in my life (not work related) so the subject feels quite pertinent.

I had been brought up to make my own choices, although strongly encouraged to write. I had this idea that I might want to become a journalist, travelling the world, lots of adventure, never remaining anywhere long enough to settle - that thought terrified me, for some reason, so I vowed never to buy a house. I also toyed with the idea of becoming a sailor/pig farmer/theatre actress. Mmmm...
In truth, my choices were perhaps largely down to incredible parental support and privilege, for which I am ever thankful, yet wonder whether it allowed me to stay 'floaty' as opposed to becoming more grounded - being ferried everywhere, I didn't even bother to learn to drive until later in life...I simply took it for granted that my path would unfold. Alternatively, my sibling was the exact opposite, choosing the more sensible route (car, study, career, homeownership).

I drifted into the arts in my late teens, still writing but not quite dedicated enough to pursue it academically beyond A-level. I decided to study photography and signed up for a foundational course with a view to leaping onto a Degree. However, it was during this phase of study that I happened to walk through the fine art foundation studios one afternoon and (since they were empty for lunch) had a good mooch around.
That was it, for me. Something of a defining moment - a kind of folding 'outwards' of myself into the future; it felt like having come to the edge of the abyss and jumping into eternity. As if the universe had opened up in front of me. From that moment I have never wavered or been tempted to, and from that moment I also knew that there would be a lot that I had to give up in the process of embarking on this particular path.

I switched courses a few weeks later and continued study into my mid to late twenties, when I met my long term ex partner - another artist in a different field. There was a fork in the road here, where I had the option to fulfil another long held ambition: to move far away. I chose, instead, to remain within at least 70 miles of home so that we could be together. And I do regret that. It is my one, single regret, although I can't say that it has presented me with any real issues.

I never did buy a house, with a focus on savings as opposed to more material assets. My artist's income has been somewhat...generously fluid with rather wild forays in each direction, and whilst the living is essentially modest, I have led a comfortable life devoting myself primarily to what I adore.
I create illustration and design (commercially) which supports and compliments my personal work (painting), the shifting of which moves at a much slower pace, yet still retains a decent market. Whether one can make a full time living as an artist is largely down to luck (or perhaps the ability to remain open/flexible to new ideas), so there is always this sense of 'not knowing' which you have to get used to, I think.

I wonder what I might have become if my parents had been more strict, if I had been pushed to conform to a certain type. My peer group when young all fulfilled the middle class prescription laid out before them, and many of them are doing extremely well. My future remains something of an open book, which terrifies me, but still feels strangely exciting. We are all warned of the pitfalls of 'making our own way', but I have managed to get to my late 40's intact. This would not have been possible if my parents hadn't (wiped my arse) supported me throughout, so I certainly can't claim that I have worked against the odds. The odds, in fact, are now ahead of me.

Every now and then, there is another version of myself like @Wombat68 in her cottage; a sort of vision of a 'me' cosseted by thick walls, an open fire, muddy boots at the door and masses of books, stones, twigs, ephemera surrounding me. And I see myself sat there (probably scrolling forteana.org) dressed like a fisherman's daughter with my hair wild about my shoulders and a jackdaw chattering nonsense in my ear. Alone, with nature and very content, like a heroine from a Leonora Carrington story or Townsend Warner's Lolly Willowes.
I have lived in a few lovely cottages which might match the description but the one in my mind seems different somehow, as if I may have known it all along (or before...) yet it remians forever out of reach. Perhaps there are so many potential versions of ourselves that the very question could only tie us in knots. I believe that we are perpetually unfolding, evolving, learning. If only life was long enough to fit all of it in!
I would be tempted to put in a few more orders from life, can I have some parallel lives, please? So that I can remain an artist in one, a geologist in the other, and possibly a detective or philosopher in yet another.

If I envision myself having gone into a reliable profession, I can definitely perceive success (I might have purchased property in Southern France/Italy...), although I may have longed to break away from that more lucrative life to circle right back to ....where I am now...and on we go. There is also a very strong possibility that I am simply a very steadfast, dream-addled idiot :D..

This was a very interesting read for me - from what you've written I can definitely see some of myself in you, or perhaps, who I might become in years to come! (which I find quite funny due to our black car avatars)

I can identify one of the nodes where my life changed, for the worse in this instance as I ended up in prison for several months after I violently assaulted someone. I’m a very different person these days to the guy who dealt drugs and beat people up.

I’m very aware that not everyone can make those changes in their life or their conditions. I certainly didn’t change because of some superior moral or intellectual values. The guy I shared a cell with in prison was a big, tough, frightening ex-gang member from Glasgow. He told me about his life and asked me if I wanted to live mine like he had lived his, the answer was an unequivocal no.

These days I’m happily married for 30 plus years, have a job which I really enjoy and which is relatively well paid.

If there are parallel universes which are inhabited by us on a slightly different path I sometimes wonder what is happening to the Mouldy who carried on his life of violent crime

A fascinating thread and one I can really relate to, with one exception. Most of the examples of life changes relate to choices made. I think the life changes brought about by pure fate much more thought provoking.
Back in the late 60's I passed my 11+ and a form duly arrived to choose the school I wanted to go to. You had to list 3 in order of preference. I only really had one school I wanted to go to, my local grammar school. Most of my friends had passed the 11+ as well and they were all going there, it was within walking distance, and covered all the subjects I wanted (I had in my mind that I wanted to be an Archaeologist!). Anyway, my Mum filled out the form with my second choice being another grammar school a little further away and the 3rd a Technical school a bus ride away (Im useless at anything practical so this was just added to fill up the 3 choices). Feeling nicely smug and looking forward to my move up to the Big school we went on holiday for a fortnight. When we returned we noticed the envelope containing the form was still sitting on the table. We quickly got it posted. When the reply came back from the local education authority I had been allocated a place at the Technical school! Apparently, all the Grammar school places had been snapped up and this was all that was left unless I wanted to go to the Secondary Modern Hellhole.
I spent 5 years of hell doing subjects I had absolutely no aptitude for (Metalwork, Woodwork, Motor Engineering, Technical Drawing,etc). And absolutely no chance of any Archaeology! With the school being so far away from where I lived I never really struck up any lasting friendships and it was an all boys school which I think left me with a gaping hole in my education!
I am sure my life would have been totally different but for the simple act of posting the form off promptly. Would it have been better? Who can tell? But I have always wondered what might have been.
As a footnote, I am now retired and am Vice Chairman of a local Archaeology group, so I got there eventually!

Technical School sounds awesome.

I had no choice, go to the Village Comprehensive like everybody else.

Technical School sounds awesome.

I had no choice, go to the Village Comprehensive like everybody else.
Believe it or not we went a whole year without a teacher in Motoring Engineering. We just turned up in the workshop and no teacher turned up! And I am sure I am still carrying scars from many of the following: flying sparks in Metalwork, protractor stabs in Technical Drawing, splinters in woodwork and clay being thrown (literally!) in Pottery. Nightmare....

That puts me in mind of a Somerset Maugham (or someone of that ilk) short story, about the owner of a thriving chain of newsagent/tobacconist shops. When his bank manager finds out our man is illiterate, he exclaims "just imagine what you could be doing if you could read and write!" Our hero replies - I paraphrase - "No need to imagine, I'd be the verger at St Martin's." I'll leave the chain of events as an exercise for the reader.
Reminds me of a Tales of the Unexpected episode, except the shops are picturesque cafes.

To Ulalume's original question:
I have several alternative lifes which I think I could have had. I don't know that they would have been better or more enjoyable than the actual one I lived. I suspect that I, like most people, tend to focus on how much better another life would have been - and to ignore the real-life challenges that would have happened.

My real-life childhood was unusually difficult and violent. These occurrences are rarely brought up here on the FMB as first-hand experiences, and it is a challenge to describe what such early life experiences do to a person. Surviving that, learning how to overcome my fears, learning how to succeed, learning how to help others, learning how to enjoy life: these are the accomplishments which make any life I live satisfying because these are the goals I chose for myself as a child. I am fucking astonished that I accomplished what I set out to do! I was both very lucky and tenacious.

My favorite fantasy other-life is being a wife of a cattle rancher in the American West. It has been the one my mind turned to since I was a child. Even now, I feel a sense of homecoming and rightness when I visit a ranch. However, I don't spend much time thinking about this. When I was a young adult, and before I learned how to manage my life successfully, my daydreams often were of the ranching life which would be so easy.

Back