• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Acts Of Stupidity

I bet they get a commission for every ticket issued.
IIRC it is illegal to have a system whereby the warden receives a bonus or commission for tickets issued, but also IIRC they do have targets to have to achieve and are penalised in some way should they not reach the targets. So a bit carrot/stick.
Tell us you've had a ticket without telling us you've had a ticket. :evillaugh:
I can only recall only ever getting a parking ticket just the one time, when I wasn't even parked on the road but in a residents parking bay which belonged to the person whose house I was working at and who had given me permission to park there. The ticket was contested/appealed but I still had to pay, even though the resident had also written to them.
Oh sorry, without telling you etc....

I can only recall only ever getting a parking ticket just the one time, when I wasn't even parked on the road but in a residents parking bay which belonged to the person whose house I was working at and who had given me permission to park there. The ticket was contested/appealed but I still had to pay, even though the resident had also written to them.
Oh sorry, without telling you etc....
That's ridiculous!

I used to get a few in London but the company I was working for paid them so I didn't care.

I'm expecting a ticket after noticing that I'd accidentally bought one for two minutes instead of two hours. :rolleyes:

If one does arrive I will contest it on the grounds that a. it's obvious that nobody would pay for two minutes so the app shouldn't accept it and b. I'd anyway just left a funeral (and here's the proof) so I didn't notice that your shitty app had offered me minutes instead of hours.

I'm expecting a ticket after noticing that I'd accidentally bought one for two minutes instead of two hours. :rolleyes:

If one does arrive I will contest it on the grounds that a. it's obvious that nobody would pay for two minutes so the app shouldn't accept it and b. I'd anyway just left a funeral (and here's the proof) so I didn't notice that your shitty app had offered me minutes instead of hours.
At one time if you'd bought a ticket for say two hours, but you were only there for one, you could pass it on to a fellow parker (or I did on occasions anyway).

I see nothing wrong with this because as far as I'm concerned, you've paid for that space for the alloted time so it should be of no concern as to who parks in it.
You could have eight cars use it for fifteen minutes each over the two hours imo.

Of course, the authorities soon got wise to this.

At one time if you'd bought a ticket for say two hours, but you were only there for one, you could pass it on to a fellow parker (or I did on occasions anyway).

I see nothing wrong with this because as far as I'm concerned, you've paid for that space for the alloted time so it should be of no concern as to who parks in it.
You could have eight cars use it for fifteen minutes each over the two hours imo.

Of course, the authorities soon got wise to this.
Yup, you used to be able to leave a ticket with unused time stuck to the ticket machine for the next person. :)

Can remember being handed one through my car window by a kind lady who said 'If anyone asks, I was giving you a cigarette!' ;)

This non-smoker would have happily perjured herself over that. :evillaugh:

Man drowns trying to retrieve phone from water

A man drowned in a puddle near Roermond this evening when he jumped after a cell phone. He was still being resuscitated, but to no avail.
The 41-year-old man was on a boat with several family members and acquaintances on De Weerd, one of the Maasplassen near Roermond. At one point, a cell phone belonging to one of those on board fell into the water. The man jumped after it, but did not resurface.
The fire department was alerted, which began a search with boats and divers. Eventually, the man was found about a hundred meters from shore. The man had been in the water for about 25 minutes, according to the fire department.
Police are investigating the cause, but according to the fire department, everything points to a fatal accident.
https://nos.nl/artikel/2476734-man-verdrinkt-bij-poging-om-telefoon-uit-het-water-te-halen

Joker prank jumps the barrier at the Grand Canyon and nearly slides off the cliff

LINK REMOVED PENDING INVESTIGATION OF REPORTS

A daredevil prankster jumped a barrier at the Grand Canyon and nearly slid off a cliff in a shocking video posted to Reddit Wednesday afternoon.

The clip shows an unidentified man running and jumping over the guardrail before landing on his feet and sliding down a steep slope just inches from the edge.

idiot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saying, that website has a virus attached to it.
Yes it does. I got rid of it with Malwerebytes.

Do not click on the 'I am not a robot' thing.

edit: Now the website is saying I need to download the latest version of Adobe. I went on the Adobe website and no, I have the latest version. Please avoid this website.

I am in no doubt that the OP of that link didn't do that deliberately anything like like it. It's just a dodgy website. There are so many of them around on the net.

Last edited:
Just saying, that website has a virus attached to it.

edit: Now the website is saying I need to download the latest version of Adobe. I went on the Adobe website and no, I have the latest version. Please avoid this website.

I am in no doubt that the OP of that link didn't do that deliberately anything like like it. It's just a dodgy website. There are so many of them around on the net.

I've removed the link from the post as a precaution, but two moderators have now checked the site on mobile and desktop browsers and have failed to detect a problem.

We suspect the issue is with outdated browsers/settings/anti-virus software on your behalf, but that is speculation and not accusation.

I didn't see any of that when I looked at that link.

This is a Daily Mail link to the story.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-barrier-Grand-Canyon-prank-slides-cliff.html

We suspect the issue is with outdated browsers/settings/anti-virus software on your behalf, but that is speculation and not accusation.
My Norton Internet Security is up to date.
My Chrome is up to date.

I don't know which is stupider, sharing classified military information with your buddies on Discord, or giving immature young dudes access to classified military information as part of their (junior status) IT job:

New York Times: FBI arrests Jack Teixeira
"The arrest raised questions about why such a junior enlisted airman had access to such an array of potentially damaging secrets, why adequate safeguards had not been put in place after earlier leaks and why a young man would risk his freedom to share intelligence about the war in Ukraine with a group of friends he knew from a video game social media site."

Sauce for the goose ...

The Massachusetts Air National Guardsman who is accused of posting a trove of classified documents to social media asked a judge to reconsider his detention on Monday, pointing out that he is charged with the same federal counts as former President Donald Trump and that prosecutors did not oppose Trump’s release.

In May, a Massachusetts judge ruled that 21-year-old Jack Teixeira would be held in jail while he awaits trial for charges under the Espionage Act after prosecutors argued he callously mishandled highly sensitive national security information during his short tenure in the National Guard. The magistrate judge, David Hennessy, said that Teixeira posed a continued threat to national security.

Teixeira’s lawyers argued in a new filing on Monday that a judge should reverse a decision to keep Teixeira detained, pointing to several other criminal defendants who were released while awaiting trial, including Trump and his co-defendant Walt Nauta.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/07/17/politics/jack-teixeira-out-of-jail-classified-trump/index.html

Base jumper seriously injured after jumping from windmill in Zeewolde

A base jumper in Zeewolde was seriously injured after jumping from a windmill. According to police, the victim's parachute did not open.

The victim had climbed into the windmill together with someone else around 8pm this evening to base jump, a police spokesperson told Omroep Flevoland. As the parachute did not open, he plunged 70 to 75 metres down.

Multiple emergency services were called and a trauma helicopter also landed. The victim was taken to a hospital. What went wrong during the jump from the windmill is under investigation.

Extreme sport
Base jumping is an extreme sport in which participants jump off buildings or bridges, for example, with a collapsed parachute, which they only unfold at the last moment. They hardly ever have a reserve parachute behind them.

Because base jumping involves jumping much closer to the ground than jumping from a plane, the sport is also a lot more dangerous than a regular parachute jump.

Base jumping is not banned in the Netherlands, but it is illegal to climb or enter buildings without permission.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2467619-basejumper-zwaargewond-na-sprong-van-windmolen-in-zeewolde

Utrecht man arrested after fall of base jumper from windmill Zeewolde

Police have arrested a 46-year-old man from Utrecht in connection with the fall of a parachutist after a jump from a windmill last night. It is still unclear what the Utrecht man is suspected of.

The accident happened around 8pm on the Gruttoweg near Zeewolde. The victim, a 43-year-old man from Hilversum, had climbed into the windmill with someone else to base jump, a police spokesman told Omroep Flevoland. As his parachute most likely did not open, the man fell down from a height of about 75 metres. He was seriously injured.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2467718-utrechter-aangehouden-na-val-basejumper-van-windmolen-zeewolde

These people deserve what they get IMO.
The only time I would put on a parachute is if the plane I'm in is crashing.

How did that go, BTW?

The ticket, not the funeral....

How did that go, BTW?

The ticket, not the funeral....
How kind of you to ask.:hoff:

No ticket arrived so perhaps I was mistaken and had indeed bought hours and not minutes.
(You'd think a parking app wouldn't accept a time in single figures but hey ho.)

The funeral, in case you'd like to know - it went well. :)
I asked the Celebrant to invite mourners to approach the coffin and most did, and people patted it and said their own little goodbyes.
It was informal and sweet.

Worker narrowly escapes being bitten by 600-pound alligator named Elvis during feeding time​

https://nypost.com/2023/07/29/color...scapes-being-bitten-by-alligator-named-elvis/

A Colorado man narrowly escaped being bitten by a 12-foot, 600-pound alligator named Elvis as he attempted to feed a raw turkey to the massive reptile.

The close call happened at Colorado Gator Farm in Mosca, when an employee known only as Chad can be seen stepping into the water to feed Elvis a raw turkey.

This is the effect of 'flex' on social media i.e. the number of responses, 'likes', whatever. F'r instance, thanks to You Tube algorithms, any interaction with the post - good or bad - raises it's ranking and, therefore, potential income for the creator. So any form of drama or shock increases the income. This 'earning' has encouraged the 'look at me' response by people, even if they won't get any money from it.
In effect, the internet has encouraged people to do stupid things in order to be famous for doing stupid things.

Back