• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Great Acts Of Stupidity

The payment system of You Tube also encourages content farms like 5 Minute Crafts to 'recommend' really dangerous 'life hacks'.
That's why I stick to cheesy movie reviews (think Dark Corners or Brandon Tenold) or exploring abandoned places (think The Proper People)...

The payment system of You Tube also encourages content farms like 5 Minute Crafts to 'recommend' really dangerous 'life hacks'.
Yes, there's so much fake :bs: on that channel.

Other stuff (on other channels) I've seen that is clearly fake:
  • People digging up treasure (it also seems obvious that it was buried earlier).
  • People doing a restoration job on something that they'd probably buried/aged/rusted to look old.
  • Asian people building underground palaces or houses in a forest somewhere. Once they've built it, you never see how fast it falls apart. It looks like they're doing it all by hand and by themselves, but they probably aren't.

And another in the series ...
Pulling on heartstrings as an animal is 'rescued' i.e. a dog is 'rescued' from a hot car, or a tortoise has 'trash' removed from their shell.

And another in the series ...
Pulling on heartstrings as an animal is 'rescued' i.e. a dog is 'rescued' from a hot car, or a tortoise has 'trash' removed from their shell.
Yes - I forgot about that.
You do wonder if the animal was put in harm's way to set up the 'rescue'. If so, despicable.

This has turned out to be the case.
In one it's a clip of a really nervous and tatty dog - looks like a labrador-Alsatian cross - with wet towels draped over it. The poster claiming it 'rescued' from a hot car in the (UK Town) area. The speaker sounded English. Cue the sympathy, calls for vigilante action etc.
Right up until another poster showed exactly the same clip, with the dialogue now in American speaking of it in the (US Town) area.. Then another, in Spanish etc. etc.
All clickbait.

Yup, didn't some TV actor maim themselves by trying a hack about converting wine bottles into drinking glasses?

Thing was, the You Tuber didn't know what he was doing.
He'd just seen bottles being 'cut' by lighting a peice of string then putting in cold water. It didn't occur to him to wear heavy gloves in case the bottle shattered.
Another channel started the 'craft' of using a microwave oven's transformer to scorch wood into 'lightning patterns'. No mention, however, how the 'crafter' had to be incredibly careful to avoid a lethal jolt of electricity!
Example:

Thing was, the You Tuber didn't know what he was doing.
He'd just seen bottles being 'cut' by lighting a peice of string then putting in cold water. It didn't occur to him to wear heavy gloves in case the bottle shattered.
Another channel started the 'craft' of using a microwave oven's transformer to scorch wood into 'lightning patterns'. No mention, however, how the 'crafter' had to be incredibly careful to avoid a lethal jolt of electricity!
Example:
That looks about as dangerous a fad as I can imagine. :chuckle:

Not sure if this fits - certainly a great act of inconsideration though;

Hawaii fires: 'Tourists swim in the waters we died in' - Maui resident​

At least 93 people have died in the wildfires that razed the historic town of Lahaina, making it the most deadly fire in the US for a century.
When the wildfire tore through the town last week, many people jumped into the sea to escape the flames.

One Maui resident told the BBC's Sophie Long that she was upset some tourists on the island have been carrying on with their holidays as normal.

"The same waters that our people just died in three days ago are the same waters the very next day these visitors - tourists - were swimming in."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-66491326

A Russian soldier, reportedly in Kazan, “entertains” kids by throwing what is variously described as either a grenade or a stun grenade (AKA “flash bang”).

The woman in the foreground is - er - unimpressed, and much сука and блять ensues:

maximus otter

A Russian soldier, reportedly in Kazan, “entertains” kids by throwing what is variously described as either a grenade or a stun grenade (AKA “flash bang”).

The woman in the foreground is - er - unimpressed, and much сука and блять ensues:

maximus otter
He's either drunk, bored, or very badly trained. Probably all three.
It's not exactly a good look for the Russian army. If he's typical then the civilians won't be impressed.

From 9gag:

killed_kenny
@astroneger had a female colleague a decade or so back who lost half her scalp cus her hair got stuck to a spinning machine doing 4k+ RPM, there were very strict rules regarding safety, and hair being in a hairnet at all times while operating the machinery was one of them, which ofc the female staff disregarded most of the time, because "it messed up their hair!" .

colleague a decade or so back who lost half her scalp

She was lucky! I have seen a video of a Chinese woman, working a machine in a factory, who was dragged into the mechanism by her hair.

The machine was stopped and colleagues rushed to attend her with towels: the machinery had torn off all the skin of her head.

It was quite a popular sight on LiveLeak, a few years back but I doubt if Health & Safety was driving the traffic. :popc:

1700837734313.png

From 9gag:

killed_kenny
@astroneger had a female colleague a decade or so back who lost half her scalp cus her hair got stuck to a spinning machine doing 4k+ RPM, there were very strict rules regarding safety, and hair being in a hairnet at all times while operating the machinery was one of them, which ofc the female staff disregarded most of the time, because "it messed up their hair!" .
I used to work in a factory where women had to wear their hair tied up in issued blue triangular cotton scarves. We were taught how to do it by other workers.
My hair was very long at the time and I did as I was told, partly because of the risk from machinery and also the whole place stank of bletch.
Didn't want that to be washing that out every night.

I used to work in a factory where women had to wear their hair tied up in issued blue triangular cotton scarves. We were taught how to do it by other workers.
My hair was very long at the time and I did as I was told, partly because of the risk from machinery and also the whole place stank of bletch.
Didn't want that to be washing that out every night.
yeah, granny used to do that any time she was cooking or cleaning just to keep her hair clean.

Is this car stuck in the middle of new concrete or is that a flood surrounding it?
In England when they want to resurface a street, people are usually notified a few days before so they can move their cars.
There's often one idiot who doesn't (like in the photo) and so they end up asphalting (concrete isn't used much here) around it and then come back later to finish the bit where the vehicle was.

So, from the beginning, you've got a patched up bit of road that looks terrible.

I suspect that in the States they'd do the correct thing and just tow the vehicle(s) away and then charge the owner a large sum to get it back. ?

In England when they want to resurface a street, people are usually notified a few days before so they can move their cars.
There's often one idiot who doesn't (like in the photo) and so they end up asphalting (concrete isn't used much here) around it and then come back later to finish the bit where the vehicle was.

So, from the beginning, you've got a patched up bit of road that looks terrible.

I suspect that in the States they'd do the correct thing and just tow the vehicle(s) away and then charge the owner a large sum to get it back. ?
You'd think the towing/charging would be routine.

You'd think the towing/charging would be routine.
I watched a recovery vehicle taking, or attempting to take, an untaxed vehicle last year.
First he has to block the street by parking next to the said vehicle as it's too narrow not to.

Then he has to move the crane and get four straps and attach them to each of the four wheels.
This takes a while.

Meanwhile the guy comes out of his house and remonstrates with Mr. recovery bod for ten minutes.

Eventually, a payment is made and recovery guy then takes the four straps back off, sorts out all the paperwork and eventually leaves, having caused major congestion.

I'm sure that some sort of fork-lift set-up with the forks coming out of the side of the truck would be far better. Pull up, get the offending vehicle on the truck and do one.
You could then move from the narrow street and pull over down the road somewhere to do all the strapping up, without causing a traffic jam.

Yes, of course it gets towed, because it's such a good business opportunity to tow it and then charge a zillion dollars to give the vehicle back again. Free enterprise and all that.
Plus, our streets are not narrow because they're made for cars instead of for human beings.

I'm sure that some sort of fork-lift set-up with the forks coming out of the side of the truck would be far better. Pull up, get the offending vehicle on the truck and do one.
You could then move from the narrow street and pull over down the road somewhere to do all the strapping up, without causing a traffic jam.
Tricky design issue there.
There has to be a counterbalance weight to the load on the forks. Look at the current designs - the batteries/fuel tanks are always set as a counterbalance over the front wheels, that act as a pivot. Even on the smaller 'side-lift'* trucks, most of the body mass is directly opposite the forks, past the fork wheels.
Firstly, if you've the weight of a car then you have to have an equal or greater counterbalance weight. Also, most cars have hard points on the chassis, for lifting. The forklift should lift by these hardpoints, otherwise the bodywork might be damaged.
I worked at a place where we used forklifts to move abandoned/seized cars around a storage area - it was fairly tricky not to cause damage.

* Side-lift trucks are misleading. They're called that because the operator sits side-on to the forks. This allows the whole truck to be narrower than the standard. You usually see them on the back of big cargo truck trailers, like a shuttle craft.

Tricky design issue there.
There has to be a counterbalance weight to the load on the forks. Look at the current designs - the batteries/fuel tanks are always set as a counterbalance over the front wheels, that act as a pivot. Even on the smaller 'side-lift'* trucks, most of the body mass is directly opposite the forks, past the fork wheels.
Firstly, if you've the weight of a car then you have to have an equal or greater counterbalance weight. Also, most cars have hard points on the chassis, for lifting. The forklift should lift by these hardpoints, otherwise the bodywork might be damaged.
I worked at a place where we used forklifts to move abandoned/seized cars around a storage area - it was fairly tricky not to cause damage.

* Side-lift trucks are misleading. They're called that because the operator sits side-on to the forks. This allows the whole truck to be narrower than the standard. You usually see them on the back of big cargo truck trailers, like a shuttle craft.
Maybe those 'legs' that you see on small cranes etc could be employed?

Back