• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

I read a lot of Home Decorating magazines and get unreasonably inflamed when there are lots of pictures of a house and stories of what was done and how they renovated, and then the people involved say 'we bought this house as a project.' A project? They mean they bought the house to do up a bit and then make money on, because they could afford it. What's wrong with buying a house as a home? I can't bear the whole idea of 'flipping' houses. Let the people who want to live in them do the work!
That’s what annoys me about Homes Under the Hammer. It’s not homes it’s prop-er-ties. They are 99% of the time they are buying it to do up and sell on. When houses stopped being homes and started to be properties is when the prices started become ridiculous.

Even if you're not doing it up to sell, I think it's a very 'British' thing to be continually arsing about with your house.

I went through a stage of it myself for a short while, looking for jobs to do, if you like, but I've known people who have to constantly be decorating or buying new furniture/carpets or spending thousands in the garden etc.

For what? You'll be 6' foot under in a relatively short time and another family will come in and probably rip out everything you've spent all that time, money and effort on anyway.

Do other nations do this I wonder?
The amount of perfectly usable white bathroom sets you see being ripped out that were probably only just put in months ago. Just bloody clean it and put a new loo seat on. Such a waste.

Edit - Usable not unusable.

Last edited:
I suppose it's a matter of getting a second opinion and not taking the sellers word for it.
Unless conditions change, the buyers and sellers surveys should remain the same.
I wonder if there's a market in 'selling' the survey you had done on a prospective purchase, at cost so you don't make a loss?

Mods, please note: My conscience reminds me that we've strayed from 'minor strangeness' to 'housing market oddities'. Perhaps someone could split the thread, placing this in chat somewhere? :)
Isn't it Scotland where the seller prepares a 'package' for prospective buyers, including survey results? So the survey is done at the seller's expense, just the once.

Isn't it Scotland where the seller prepares a 'package' for prospective buyers, including survey results? So the survey is done at the seller's expense, just the once.
Here, the survey, if asked by the prospective buyer, is paid for by the seller. I have one for my home. It may be the original one. It is a condition that can be placed on the offer to buy.

Even if you're not doing it up to sell, I think it's a very 'British' thing to be continually arsing about with your house.

I went through a stage of it myself for a short while, looking for jobs to do, if you like, but I've known people who have to constantly be decorating or buying new furniture/carpets or spending thousands in the garden etc.

For what? You'll be 6' foot under in a relatively short time and another family will come in and probably rip out everything you've spent all that time, money and effort on anyway.

Do other nations do this I wonder?
Here they fix up to sell and move down South!

Yes it most assuredly is. And the Minor Strangeness perspective to this: I had just blithely-presumed that during the many years this logic has been in place in Scotland, that (of course) it had become standard everywhere else.

Because if one part of an interconnected world uses automatic washing machines: surely nobody is left using twin-tubs?

The emergent reality of differing situations (once uncovered) rapidly-demolishes these shallow suppositions of irreducible & universal equity.

Yes it most assuredly is. And the Minor Strangeness perspective to this: I had just blithely-presumed that during the many years this logic has been in place in Scotland, that (of course) it had become standard everywhere else.

Because if one part of an interconnected world uses automatic washing machines: surely nobody is left using twin-tubs?

The emergent reality of differing situations (once uncovered) rapidly-demolishes these shallow suppositions of irreducible & universal equity.
And if two (or more) people use the same surveyor, I can't see that they would go out and survey the house again, but as far as I know they will still charge the client the same rate as if they had done.

Does anyone else on here take their recycling rubbish out under the cover of darkness, to stop the neighbours eyeing up the amount of empty beer cans there are in them.

I had seven to put out at the end of the drive the other day. Three bags in one hand and four in the other – all full bloody beers cans.
The trick is to crush beer cans first. ;)

The trick is to crush beer cans first. ;)
I do Scargs, but there are so many of them…………….

Last night I went out at 10.30pm to drop the recycling bags off thinking that there would be nobody around, only to find my neighbour Albie was doing the same thing. He had more beer cans in his recycling bags than me. Never knew he was a booze hound – I think I’ve found a new best friend lol

I do Scargs, but there are so many of them…………….

Last night I went out at 10.30pm to drop the recycling bags off thinking that there would be nobody around, only to find my neighbour Albie was doing the same thing. He had more beer cans in his recycling bags than me. Never knew he was a booze hound – I think I’ve found a new best friend lol
:omg::chuckle:

Had a bit of a strange experience today. I was driving to the Post Office this afternoon, which takes me along a country road that I travel along very frequently. It is wooded on the right hand side, behind which some distance from the road is an ex country house, which became an ex hotel and is now a selection of private flats and, on the left, hedgerow and fields sloping away. There is no pavement or footpath on either side.

I had the windows down on both sides and was going maybe 30mph or so when I felt a sudden and strong blast of air from my right window. I was quite startled as it moved my head sideways a little from the force of the blast and it felt like quite a concentrated force of wind passing through the windows from right to left. There was no loud bang or noise apart from quite a weird and very brief turbine like noise, a bit like the noise the Tardis makes when it takes off but really only the briefest noise.

I suppose the whole thing was only a second or less but quite unsettling. Driving back later I slowed down to take a look at the spot but the wood/hedge is pretty dense.

Funnily enough, I read an account some years ago somewhere (may have been the local paper) of a man driving along the same road, quite late at night after picking his girlfriend up from her job as a barmaid, back in the 1980s, and witnessing a large 'green man' at the side of the same road.

…I felt a sudden and strong blast of air from my right window. I was quite startled as it moved my head sideways a little from the force of the blast and it felt like quite a concentrated force of wind passing through the windows from right to left. There was no loud bang or noise apart from quite a weird and very brief turbine like noise, a bit like the noise the Tardis makes when it takes off but really only the briefest noise.

A drone passing low overhead?

maximus otter

Had a bit of a strange experience today. I was driving to the Post Office this afternoon, which takes me along a country road that I travel along very frequently. It is wooded on the right hand side, behind which some distance from the road is an ex country house, which became an ex hotel and is now a selection of private flats and, on the left, hedgerow and fields sloping away. There is no pavement or footpath on either side.

I had the windows down on both sides and was going maybe 30mph or so when I felt a sudden and strong blast of air from my right window. I was quite startled as it moved my head sideways a little from the force of the blast and it felt like quite a concentrated force of wind passing through the windows from right to left. There was no loud bang or noise apart from quite a weird and very brief turbine like noise, a bit like the noise the Tardis makes when it takes off but really only the briefest noise.

I suppose the whole thing was only a second or less but quite unsettling. Driving back later I slowed down to take a look at the spot but the wood/hedge is pretty dense.

Funnily enough, I read an account some years ago somewhere (may have been the local paper) of a man driving along the same road, quite late at night after picking his girlfriend up from her job as a barmaid, back in the 1980s, and witnessing a large 'green man' at the side of the same road.
We definitely need to get Paul on this case.
@Paul_Exeter

Wouldn't have thought it'd be a drone. Surely, the actual air pressure would be directed down, and the only possible 'wash' horizontal would be quite weak.
Might it have been a sudden gust of wind?
I did think that but it was a hot, still day yesterday, and with quite a thick copse of trees and bushes to the right. There was nothing coming the other way either as I know you sometimes get a kind of suction or blast off wind if a van or lorry passes close by in the opposite direction. Also the gust moved my head sideways a bit, plus the sound, which was very brief but def there, it wasn't a sound that seemed to fade away but sudden and gone. I did wonder if it was one of those mini cyclone things but it did feel like a concentrated blast of wind passing through the car from right to left.
Trouble is with nothing visible, and driving along , by the time it happened I was already past it.
Baffling really. At least if you see something unusual you have a few moments to take it in but when it comes at you sideways, and with no visual warning, it's been and gone before you can try and compute it.

I did think that but it was a hot, still day yesterday, and with quite a thick copse of trees and bushes to the right. There was nothing coming the other way either as I know you sometimes get a kind of suction or blast off wind if a van or lorry passes close by in the opposite direction. Also the gust moved my head sideways a bit, plus the sound, which was very brief but def there, it wasn't a sound that seemed to fade away but sudden and gone. I did wonder if it was one of those mini cyclone things but it did feel like a concentrated blast of wind passing through the car from right to left.
Trouble is with nothing visible, and driving along , by the time it happened I was already past it.
Baffling really. At least if you see something unusual you have a few moments to take it in but when it comes at you sideways, and with no visual warning, it's been and gone before you can try and compute it.
No disused bridges that the wind could have been funneled through as you passed?

https://strangebritain.co.uk/ghosts-hauntings-supernatural/the-green-man-of-hughenden

I found the account of the green man sighting on the same stretch of road.
So we're talking of somewhere along here;
four ashes.png

1694086186738.png
This is the birdbath that I had wondered who had put it together.
Apparently it was the gardener who occasionally comes.
I didn't think it would have been him because he only gets a little done and I'd asked him to pull out the wandering jew.

Back