• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Just Disappear (Go Missing)

There is an active Youtube subculture researching the fate of the "witches", followers, (girlfriends?, bed partners?) of Carlos Castaneda.
These are good, and not obviously exploitative. Also very unique landscapes.
(I wonder if modern folk still know about Castaneda. I was totally knocked of my feet reading him in the 1980's. By now I've also read the debunking books, and these are nice too.)

I’ve mentioned before about the brother of a friend of mine just going missing for weeks. No activity on his bank account, etc.
His brother knew of no reason he would just vanish and they were pretty close.

His body was found weeks later in a field of wheat, next to his bike. He liked biking out around the villages and it was supposed that he went through the field gate on his bike, possibly just to rest or have a drink of water and was still on the bike when it must have hit a stone or a clod of earth. His neck was broken and the wheat just carried on growing and hid him.
I remember being horrified when his brother told me. It seemed such a stupid, pointless accident to happen to someone just out for a bike ride. And it shows how easy it is for the land (or in this case the growing crop) to conceal a body. A lot of the crop fields have open gateways that you can just ride or walk into, I’ve done it myself. Some have footpaths around the edges. I can imagine someone just biking in, not even going fast, ready to pull up and rest and then that :(
Your first post about this set me off sternly warning Techy not to cycle off the road and into fields when nature calls. :dsist:
(Prostate issues have this effect.)

Was reading last night about the long traffic queues in north Wales that were common until the A55 was built. I know the area well and remember seeing the new road under construction in the 1970s.

A story one heard now and then was that desperate male drivers in the slow-moving queue would occasionally leave their car and jump over a wall to pee, not realising there was a steep drop behind it.
Several were killed this way, including one whose accident was described by an eyewitness as happening in foggy conditions.
One assumes the victim was a stranger or tourist.

@escargot I remember long traffic queues in North Wales too, as we often went there when I was young and my dad remarking later that it was much better after the A55 was completed..
I never heard that about poor men jumping over the wall and down to their deaths! Strangers or tourists, definitely!
Your first post about this set me off sternly warning Techy not to cycle off the road and into fields when nature calls.
Better to be on the safe side and get off the bike and amble into the field, yes.
I always think how senseless and unlucky, which it was, but you just can never know.

@escargot I remember long traffic queues in North Wales too, as we often went there when I was young and my dad remarking later that it was much better after the A55 was completed..
I never heard that about poor men jumping over the wall and down to their deaths! Strangers or tourists, definitely!

Better to be on the safe side and get off the bike and amble into the field, yes.
I always think how senseless and unlucky, which it was, but you just can never know.
Yup, Techy says he never rides off the road and into a field. Dunno if that's because of the nagging or his natural common sense.

Nah, it'll be the nagging.

Yup, Techy says he never rides off the road and into a field. Dunno if that's because of the nagging or his natural common sense.

I once jumped over a low wall in Chesterfield one night, to find that there was actually a 12' drop on the other side.
No injuries luckily.
I suspect that that was because I was very, very drunk at the time.

once jumped over a low wall in Chesterfield one night, to find that there was actually a 12' drop on the other side.
No injuries luckily.
I suspect that that was because I was very, very drunk at the time.
I once did the same, sober, at the local Asda. Luckily the drop was only about four feet and a trolley broke my fall.

I once did the same, sober, at the local Asda. Luckily the drop was only about four feet and a trolley broke my fall.
Actually, just to get back on track, I've stepped into boggy/marshy areas on a couple of occasions and I think it was only due to my size and (relative strength) that enabled me to get out.
I wonder how many people have vanished this way over the years?

Actually, just to get back on track, I've stepped into boggy/marshy areas on a couple of occasions and I think it was only due to my size and (relative strength) that enabled me to get out.
I wonder how many people have vanished this way over the years?
We kids of the '60s were raised on the fear of death by swamp.
Every other fillum on TV had a scene with some hapless victim sinking into what my Dad called the 'Cold Porridge'.

Or perhaps The Hound of the Baskervilles was repeated a lot. :thought:

Every other fillum on TV had a scene with some hapless victim sinking into what my Dad called the 'Cold Porridge'.

Or perhaps The Hound of the Baskervilles was repeated a lot. :thought:
It's only since I became old(er) I've come to realise how you are not, in fact, invincible.

The first time I was with the dog and she just walked off, and the second time MrsF and the dog were both there.
Apparently, walking a mile home with soaking wet and muddy (on the inside) wellies, is hilarious to some people.

It's only since I became old(er) I've come to realise how you are not, in fact, invincible.

The first time I was with the dog and she just walked off, and the second time MrsF and the dog were both there.
Apparently, walking a mile home with soaking wet and muddy (on the inside) wellies, is hilarious to some people.
There's a belief that people don't actually believe in their own mortality until a certain age, usually in their mid-20s.

Before that, it's hard to get it through to them that they could die.
Even knowing young people who have died from whatever cause doesn't help it sink in: that was them, not me.

It's probably healthy not to dwell on it too much.

Haha Yes. Or quicksand. When we were on holiday in Pembrokeshire my nan related speaking to a lady in a cafe whose nephew had died at Freshwater West by encountering quicksand. I also read that there was quicksand there in the old AA Book of the Seaside (which I still have!) We were at Freshwater East which was lovely but when we visited Freshwater West I point blank refused to get out of the car and was in a very nervous state as if I might set one foot outside the car and get swallowed up.
(Apparently it’s a good surfing beach so people obviously aren’t in that much danger, but when you’re small these things assume gigantic proportions).

Also when we used to stay at Borth there is Cors Fochno which is a raised peat bog and that same AA book did warn not to stray off the paths or risk plunging into ‘semi-liquid peat up to 20 feet deep.’ But as we were staying in Upper Borth I assumed we were safe

not-nagging-couple-card-104.jpg
MrsMrBucket.jpg

Haha Yes. Or quicksand. When we were on holiday in Pembrokeshire my nan related speaking to a lady in a cafe whose nephew had died at Freshwater West by encountering quicksand. I also read that there was quicksand there in the old AA Book of the Seaside (which I still have!) We were at Freshwater East which was lovely but when we visited Freshwater West I point blank refused to get out of the car and was in a very nervous state as if I might set one foot outside the car and get swallowed up.
(Apparently it’s a good surfing beach so people obviously aren’t in that much danger, but when you’re small these things assume gigantic proportions).

Also when we used to stay at Borth there is Cors Fochno which is a raised peat bog and that same AA book did warn not to stray off the paths or risk plunging into ‘semi-liquid peat up to 20 feet deep.’ But as we were staying in Upper Borth I assumed we were safe
The AA Guide to Britains Coast (a different tome, I suspect) is the best book on the subject.

Here's an item from the UK tabloid the Daily Mirror. Crass and sensationalised of course.
(The photo of the reconstructed image of the found boy's face is called '0_PAY-Newsflash-InterpolDeadBoy-02'. Not exactly sensitive.)

Ben's family eventually accepted that he died in an accident soon after he went missing so one assumes they don't hold out much hope here.

EXCLUSIVE: Ben Needham: Police investigating if body found in German river could be missing toddler

Ben Needham’s mum Kerry has been searching for her 21-month son ever since he vanished from the Greek island Kos in 1991, and says she has alerted South Yorkshire Police to a fresh Interpol appeal

British police are investigating whether the body of a boy found in a German river is missing tot Ben Needham.

Kerry, 51, alerted South Yorkshire Police to a fresh Interpol appeal to identify a young child’s body found dumped in the River Danube over a year ago.

Now Interpol DNA tracking experts have been called in and do not believe the boy is German. South Yorkshire Police told the Mirror it will look into whether the body found could be Ben. The boy, believed to be aged five to six, was found last May in Grossmehring, Bavaria.

Interpol said it was not clear how long the body had been in the water and the Mirror has approached German police to see if his death could be historic. Kerry told the Mirror: “I’m pleased they are looking into it. Every possibility has to be investigated and ruled out.

Was reading last night about the long traffic queues in north Wales that were common until the A55 was built. I know the area well and remember seeing the new road under construction in the 1970s.

A story one heard now and then was that desperate male drivers in the slow-moving queue would occasionally leave their car and jump over a wall to pee, not realising there was a steep drop behind it.
Several were killed this way, including one whose accident was described by an eyewitness as happening in foggy conditions.

One assumes the victim was a stranger or tourist.
Here's a coincidence: last week at work I chatted with a bloke who told me this exact story. He seemed to be describing the same accident, which had briefly been thought to be suicide by people who didn't know about the circumstances.

Does this mean with the new 20 mph limit in some areas the valleys will be
littered with dead blokes with there fly's down?
:dunno:

Here's a coincidence: last week at work I chatted with a bloke who told me this exact story. He seemed to be describing the same accident, which had briefly been thought to be suicide by people who didn't know about the circumstances.
I found myself questioning why someone would bother jumping over a wall if the conditions were foggy.

But round here blokes will just stop and whip it out in any likely layby.

I found myself questioning why someone would bother jumping over a wall if the conditions were foggy.
They were stuck in a traffic queue so there'd be other vehicles and their occupants nearby, close enough to see what they were doing.
Urinating in public is an offence.

I am sure it's true, but it does have the faint whiff of an urban legend (ducks and hides under the desk) :popc:

Last year I was going up the A1 when the necessity to have a piss became more & more apparent. No services for miles & I was debating just stopping on the hard shoulder & fuck it as to who sees.

A turn off near Knebworth suddenly appeared so I turned off on a small road & did the deed by a bush. Dunno how long it went on for but it was the longest piss I've ever had. Relief!

They were stuck in a traffic queue so there'd be other vehicles and their occupants nearby, close enough to see what they were doing.
Urinating in public is an offence.
So it wasn't that foggy? (We get fogs round here where you can barely see the next car to you on the road - it's a mixture of low lying wet land and haar off the coast).

So it wasn't that foggy? (We get fogs round here where you can barely see the next car to you on the road - it's a mixture of low lying wet land and haar off the coast).
I dunno. However, we're talking about a low wall with a drop towards the sea on one side. In fog, a stranger to the area might assume they were next to a field.
Before the A55 came into use there were stretches of road where queues would build up next to the sea wall.

My takeaway from this is that more people should learn to piss under cover of an opened car door.

I doubt there'd be any prosecutions as long as you'd taken steps to not flaunt what nature gave you.

My takeaway from this is that more people should learn to piss under cover of an opened car door.

I doubt there'd be any prosecutions as long as you'd taken steps to not flaunt what nature gave you.
It's the actual urination that's the offence, not whether the person's genitals can be seen. That's why a law-abiding gent might feel the need to do it out of sight.

It's the actual urination that's the offence, not whether the person's genitals can be seen. That's why a law-abiding gent might feel the need to do it out of sight.
I'll have to tell the millions of delivery blokes, cyclists, lorry drivers and motorbikers that do it round here then! I suppose it's because we're rural and they think they won't be seen - that and the fact that there aren't any public toilets for MILES.

Back