• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Everlasting Mystery Of Teaspoons

TWO spoons rescued today from beneath a field near the village of Stoke Lyne (Oxon) - anyone recognise them ? Can't read the electro-plating marks on the handle yet - P & M S something. None get left behind.

Spoons_730a.jpg

TWO spoons rescued today from beneath a field near the village of Stoke Lyne (Oxon) - anyone recognise them ? Can't read the electro-plating marks on the handle yet - P & M S something. None get left behind.

View attachment 69945
There's something about that top one that shouts 'school dinners' to me.

Years ago a new boy (my age) joined the Lab group and was quizzed about his star sign by the horoscope-wielding girls at Coffee. His reply of 'Derry & Toms' was lost on everyone except me, as I was of an age that had read Monty Python's Papperbok - found a friend.

Years ago a new boy (my age) joined the Lab group and was quizzed about his star sign by the horoscope-wielding girls at Coffee. His reply of 'Derry & Toms' was lost on everyone except me, as I was of an age that had read Monty Python's Papperbok - found a friend.
I thought Derry & Toms made ice cream.

In our house, we occasionally acquire more teaspoons by some strange law of attraction! I now have another, Mr J having been given one by a customer, along with a potted dessert she made for him :)

If you've wondered where the teaspoons go I refer you to my previous explanations on this thread and my not-yet-disproved Grand Unified Theory of TSBK [ Teaspoons, Socks, Biros, Keys]:

I used to tell people about my pet theory: there's a creature that lives under the bath, behind the panel, that emerges at night and its diet consists of teaspoons, biros and single socks and the odd house key. The detritus that is found when one removes a bath panel is in fact the creature's excreta after eating said stuff.

I forgot to inform you of one regular habitat of errant spoons: any compost bin/heap. They migrate there readily, seeking to commune with the discarded tea bags of yesteryear.

I find at least one every time I delve into a well-matured compost pile.

I think the compst heap spoons are running away from the theorised under-bath creature described above and instinctively head for the old tea leaves outside.

Last edited:
In our house, we occasionally acquire more teaspoons by some strange law of attraction! I now have another, Mr J having been given one by a customer, along with a potted dessert she made for him :)

If you've wondered where the teaspoons go I refer you to my previous explanations on this thread and my not-yet-disproved Grand Unified Theory of BSTK [biros, socks, teaspoons, keys]:

I think the compst heap spoons are running away from the theorised under-bath creature described above and instinctively head for the old tea leaves outside.
There's one species of teaspoon that once it escapes it burrows into the soil to avoid capture.

This whole matter has made me look up Derry & Toms, and I found that they closed in 1973! (It was a quite up-market department store in London). My mother also used to name drop the Army and Navy Stores and Fortnum and Mason.

I remember an advert for 'Derry & Toms' being emblazoned on the side of a red London bus - in the way 'Rumblelows' never was.

Serving dinner to my younger son and his partner today, I notice that I seem to have acquired another teaspoon of random pattern and design that does not match any of the others. Now all my teaspoons live in a mug on top of the microwave and I've stopped counting them, but there seem to be more than I remember. I think I may now have a breeding population.

Serving dinner to my younger son and his partner today, I notice that I seem to have acquired another teaspoon of random pattern and design that does not match any of the others. Now all my teaspoons live in a mug on top of the microwave and I've stopped counting them, but there seem to be more than I remember. I think I may now have a breeding population.
To stop them breeding simply leave a packet of condoms next to the mug.

At work recently I spotted a small teaspoon, or possibly a coffee spoon, with some bits of junk that were being thrown out.
I thought of you lot and immediately pocketed it.
Spoon was eventually taken home, washed and slung in the drawer with all the others. I confidently expect it to appear in @catseye's teaspoon mug within the week.

Teaspoon count only up one from last audit, but we have gained a rather cheap looking knife.

The extra spoon seems to be one of those from a set designed to look "fancy" lots of twiddly scrolly things on handle, but feels worryingly light and a bit rough around the edges.

Did something else of yours disappear?
I think I was waxing nostalgic over disappearing red double decker London buses, which I once hoped I could ride on that wonderful day when I finally made it to London. That and untold acres of wild land converted into luxury housing and resorts. Stuff like that.

View attachment 69945
Bungle, if you ever do a 'Detectorists' style talk in a village hall about Spoons Through History, I'm in the front row.

Teaspoon count only up one from last audit, but we have gained a rather cheap looking knife.

The extra spoon seems to be one of those from a set designed to look "fancy" lots of twiddly scrolly things on handle, but feels worryingly light and a bit rough around the edges.
I, too, have some of those 'flimsy, cheap' feeling teaspoons. I don't use them and always pass them over in favour of the solid, heavier spoons. So perhaps my flimsy spoons are making their way to your house because they feel hard done by.

When I was a kid, I used to steal teaspoons from places such as Schooner Inns, Berni Inns and Little Chef restaurants. I seem to remember nicking one from a pub up north with 'Whitegate Taverns' embossed into it. I've no idea where they went. All I've got now are a couple of Rolex teaspoons, but I bought them from a charity shop about 15 years ago.

When I was a kid, I used to steal teaspoons from places such as Schooner Inns, Berni Inns and Little Chef restaurants. I seem to remember nicking one from a pub up north with 'Whitegate Taverns' embossed into it. I've no idea where they went. All I've got now are a couple of Rolex teaspoons, but I bought them from a charity shop about 15 years ago.
Rolex teaspoons?
Do tell!

Back