• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forgotten History

It’s to stop iPhone zombies from falling in while taking selfies. Unfortunately.

maximus otter
The grate looks pretty well embedded into the mortar though, and the padlock seems to be just going through only one bar (as opposed to locking it to another bar underneath.
?

There are 2 bars one on top of the other, the top bar is slotted into the stone
on either side and the two locked together.

It’s been more like a tradition since the 30s

I'm from Wearside and I've never heard of The Victoria Hall disaster. Now it may just be because I'm a relatively new father but that story actually brought tears to my eyes.
I am also from Wearside,it’s not something I was even aware of,quite sad,those poor kids.

This sounds like an interesting book. But I'll have to resist, having tons of unread books already:

https://www.versobooks.com/en-gb/products/2778-bad-gays

Bad Gays:
A Homosexual History
by Huw Lemmey and Ben Miller

Part-revisionist history, part-historical biography and based on the hugely popular podcast series, Bad Gays subverts the notion of gay icons and queer heroes and asks what we can learn about LGBTQ history, sexuality and identity through its villains and baddies. From the Emperor Hadrian to notorious gangster Ronnie Kray, the authors excavate the buried history of queer lives. This includes fascist thugs, famous artists, austere puritans and debauched bon viveurs, Imperialists, G-men and architects.
LIke this I suppose:

This Youtube video could go in many threads, I suppose. It is certainly historical and forgotten, so I'll go with this one.

The A. C. Gilbert Atomic Energy Kit for kids!

Sold for around $50 in 1949-50, this educational toy has a wonderfully authentic look to its laboratory-inspired designs. They look like the real thing - because they were the real thing! The kit included four radio-active ores and a geiger-counter. The main reason not to mess with the seals on your ore samples was because increasing the background radiation of your playroom might interfere with your readings!

Kids of the day were evidently expected to have a Marie Curie level of commitment to science! :loveu:

Last edited:
Investigation into remains of bishop murdered 1,300 years ago

Forensic researchers from the University of Liège are to investigate the remains of Saint Lambert, the last bishop of Maastricht.

The reliquary, a box containing the bones of Lambert of Maastricht, was opened last week. The bones were in four glass jars in a red box. Also in the box were documents with descriptions of previous times when it was opened. This happened in 1896, 1938 and 1985, among others, reports the Diocese of Liège.

Medical examination for the first time
The bishop's remains have never before been medically examined. Researchers hope to learn more about his life this way. The examination focuses mainly on the skull cap, which is in bad shape, according to the coroner.

In fact, the skull was found to be encased in material normally used to seal jam jars. This caused the skull to become deformed, but the scientists are hopeful that they can still draw sufficient conclusions from their examination.

Murdered with sword
Lambert was the last bishop of the diocese of Maastricht. The seat was moved to Liège at the beginning of the eighth century, writes 1Limburg.

Bishop Lambert was probably murdered with a sword around the year 705. Why exactly, is not certain. It probably had to do with his dislike of a servant's extramarital affair. He is therefore still revered by the church as a martyr.

In the Kempen region of Brabant and northern Limburg, many churches are named after him.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2495570-onde...-bisschop-die-1300-jaar-geleden-werd-vermoord

1698421283398.png

Saint Vitalis of Gaza

A monk of Gaza, Vitalis travelled to the city of Alexandria at the age of sixty. His legend states that after obtaining the name and address of every prostitute in the city, he hired himself out as a day laborer, and took his wage to one of these women at the end of the day. He would hire the woman for the night and, according to legend, spend the night praying for her or preaching to her.[1][2]

This practice was condoned by the Church, and many prostitutes in the city abandoned their profession and became wives and mothers

Germany also had a colonial past.

Germany has handed back the human remains of indigenous people killed during a genocide in colonial Namibia more than 100 years ago.

A Namibian government delegation received the skulls at a church service in the capital, Berlin.

The bones had been sent to Germany for now-discredited research to prove the racial superiority of white Europeans.

Tens of thousands of Herero and Nama people were murdered in response to an anti-colonial uprising.

It is thought that 75% of the Herero population and half of the Nama population died.

The skulls of some of the victims were sent to Germany where racial anthropologists studied them as part of an attempt to justify a theory about the superiority of Europeans.

There are thought to be hundreds of Namibian skulls in Germany and on Wednesday more than 25 remains were handed back.

Skulls from Germany's other African colonies, including modern day Cameroon, Tanzania, Rwanda and Togo, were also used in the discredited studies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-45342586

The search for human remains goes on.

Isaria Anael Meli has been looking for his grandfather's remains for more than six decades.

He believes the skull ended up in a Berlin museum after his grandfather, Mangi Meli, along with 18 other chiefs and advisers, was hanged by a German colonial force 123 years ago.

After all this time, a German minister has told the BBC the country is prepared to apologise for the executions in what is now northern Tanzania.

Other descendants have also been searching for the remains and recently, in an unprecedented use of DNA research, two of the skulls of those killed have been identified among a museum collection of thousands.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-67209935

Remembering Russell.

George Russell enthusiasts have gathered in Dublin for the launch of an appreciation society dedicated to his memory.

The event was held in the United Arts Club, which he helped found in 1907.

More commonly known as AE Russell, the poet, writer and painter was highly regarded in Irish society before his death in 1935. Russell was born in Lurgan, County Armagh, in 1867 but spent most of his life in Dublin.

AE Russell

AE was the first to publish James Joyce

Considered one of Ireland's foremost writers, AE was also known for promoting new literary talent. He was the first to publish James Joyce and PL Travers - the author of Mary Poppins - and was a longtime friend and collaborator of WB Yeats. Russell founded the Irish National Theatre Society, now known as the Abbey Theatre, and wrote its first play.

He also served as secretary of the Irish Agricultural Organisation Society, edited various journals, and was a founder of the Dublin Metropolitan Art Gallery.

When he died, in Bournemouth, AE was honoured with an aerial flypast as his body was returned to Ireland, and a funeral procession led by Taoiseach (Irish prime minister) Eamon De Valera.

A group of people in Russell's hometown, Lurgan, have been trying to raise awareness of his legacy. They have been running an annual festival for a number of years and were joined by American enthusiasts for a convention in County Donegal earlier this year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4n5le5jx58o

George Russell enthusiasts have gathered in Dublin for the launch of an appreciation society dedicated to his memory.

He looks interesting. - like many mystics!

A decent essay topic - Compare and contrast WB Yeats and AE Russell, with particular attention to their legacy :rollingw:

In the last quarter of the seventeenth century, the following joke circulated in the Dutch Republic:

A very fat nobleman married a lady-in-waiting of the Princess of Orange. Because of his big belly, he was afraid that he would not be able to manage intercourse with her. However, she knew how to remedy this with some cushions and body movements. Surprised, he asked her where she had learned this. She answered, "Ho, ho, don't you know that you can learn anything at court."

This joke suggests that the court was regarded as an isolated society with its own rules and norms, and one where sexual liberty reigned. In other countries, royal and princely courts often had the same reputation.

Sexuality, Elites, and Court Life in the Late Seventeenth Century: The Diaries of Constantijn Huygens, Jr. Rudolf M. Dekker

Note:
I found this when researching the historical urban legend (probably not true) that maidservants would satisfy young elite sons manually. I don't believe that.

On a lighter note, I did not know until today, that there were so many willy depictions in the Bayeux Tapestry.
F9r5F3KXwAAy5sc

F9r5F3MXkAAcXi-

I must say those are poor shots.

When you see good pics of the tapestry you marvel at how nice it is.

I have a good book (cant recall title nor lay hands on it, sadly)

I found this when researching the historical urban legend (probably not true) that maidservants would satisfy young elite sons manually. I don't believe that.
I do. Where there are men in a position of power over young women, the women will be exploited.

Back