• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forgotten History

He's probably a Saxon hiding in a forest, waiting for the fuss to die down.
Wasn't there some sort of "incident" at William's coronation? A shout from the crowd in the abbey that was thought to be some sort of protest and William looking decidedly nervous? Soldiers then set fire to some houses and started looting.
The pictures at the bottom are interesting, a cart full of bodies/limbs and two dogs fighting over a bone. If they were on the original they would have had some meaning.

Wasn't there some sort of "incident" at William's coronation? A shout from the crowd in the abbey that was thought to be some sort of protest and William looking decidedly nervous? Soldiers then set fire to some houses and started looting.

“The ceremony began with Geoffrey asking the Norman nobles in French whether they accepted the new king "by your free choice", which was repeated in English by Ealdred to the Anglo-Saxon nobles. The resulting acclamation was mistaken by the Norman soldiers outside for a riot, to which they responded by setting fire to nearby houses; in the chaos, some soldiers began to fight the fire, others went looting.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronations_of_William_the_Conqueror_and_Matilda#Service

maximus otter

“The ceremony began with Geoffrey asking the Norman nobles in French whether they accepted the new king "by your free choice", which was repeated in English by Ealdred to the Anglo-Saxon nobles. The resulting acclamation was mistaken by the Norman soldiers outside for a riot, to which they responded by setting fire to nearby houses; in the chaos, some soldiers began to fight the fire, others went looting.”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronations_of_William_the_Conqueror_and_Matilda#Service

maximus otter
As I thought; hushed up in the tapestry.

maximus otter

It makes me wonder about the exact manner of the acclamation that made people think it was a riot.

Everyone in the room (or building) has to yell "Aye!" or somesuch. More people, more disorganised yelling.

Without getting political. It seems to be an argument over who should sort it out the devolved Welsh Parliament or Westminster.

To me it sounds like. I’m a big kid I can stand in my own two feet I don’t need you... Dad I need help.
Dad replies 'When I sent you to work up all those chimneys for fourpence a week, you had ample time to put something away for the future.'

Just been reading about the Ringtheatre fire in Vienna on 8th December 1881.

"it was featuring the second night of Jacques Offenbach’s opera Les Contes d’Hoffman, which was proving popular with both the wealthy and middle class of Vienna. According to the custom of the time, the wealthy theater patrons who sat up front near the stage did not arrive until the last minute so the two balconies at the Ring filled up first. It was about 6:45 p.m. when a stagehand took a long-arm igniter to light the row of gas lights above the stage. He inadvertently also lit some prop clouds that were hanging over the stage....."

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/theater-fire-kills-hundreds-in-vienna

I have read estimates of those who died ranging from 385 to 620. Many casualties were due to crowd crushing, particularly from people fleeing the balconies, Also the fire curtain appeared not to have been lowered or water hoses activated.

A monument was built to remember those who died, but that was destroyed in World War 2.

Last edited:
A scene I think that @Sogna might recognise.
The old tramline in Heliopolis Cairo.

Most of it has been taken up now to make way for wider roads, but it was used mainly by the poorer people and was a place where they would often be seen having a picnic by the tracks.
No noise or shouting, just quitely passing the time with their families, trying to find some shade.

If I walked past they would have invited me without hesitation to sit down and share their food.

I don't know if I'm getting too analytical, but I wonder if it was, as with the railways - for someone with very little income and certainly no car - a way of dreaming of a better place in the distance (philosophically, not geographically).

Or maybe they simply just liked to picnic next to it.

I hope they don't do what we do in the UK and allow them to be built on, so that in the future they may be re-instated.

Heli1.jpg
Heli2.jpg

An intriguing quote:

For instance, Edgar Zilsel, a historian of science, documented how even the ‘heroes’ of the so-called Scientific Revolution, such as Galileo Galilei, learned more in clandestine workshops, hidden libraries, and nomadic classrooms than at universities.29

Wetenschappen, 2007, xiii. 29 Edgar Zilsel, The Social Origins of Modern Science, History of Philosophy of Science, Dordrecht: Springer, 2002, 5.

The end of the Cybersyn project is exemplary of the twisted fate of the politics of self-organisation. Cybersyn was a communication network for the management of the Chilean economy. It was contemporaneous with Arpanet (the progenitor of the internet funded by the US Department of Defense), yet less advanced. Arpanet featured a decentralised network based on packet-switching
communication, while Cybersyn remained a centralised web of teletypes linked to a single mainframe computer. Arpanet was based on the idea that a decentralised communications network could survive an enemy attack, as the brain’s neural networks reorganise themselves in case of injury. The US Army co-opted this idea of network plasticity before anyone else. The Cybersyn project was terminated when a CIA-backed coup d’état brought Salvador Allende’s life (and Chilean democracy) to an end.38

I don't know if I'm getting too analytical, but I wonder if it was, as with the railways - for someone with very little income and certainly no car - a way of dreaming of a better place in the distance (philosophically, not geographically).
On slower stretches of the the Trans Mongolian Railway we'd see people leaning on fences and gateways, even level crossing barriers, watching the train go by. This gave me the exact same vibes. :nods:

Christine Granville: The Polish aristocrat who was Churchill's favourite spy​

Christine Granville sitting in a deck chair

Britain's longest-serving World War Two spy, Christine Granville, risked her life countless times carrying out missions across Europe, yet today her contribution is barely known. Who was she and why does the nation owe her such a great debt?

On 15 June 1952, Granville returned to the west London hotel she called home, her flight to Belgium having been cancelled due to engine failure.

After making her way to her usual room on the first floor, she heard a man in the lobby shouting her name and demanding the return of some letters. Downstairs, she found herself faced by her former lover who suddenly thrust a commando knife into her chest, fatally wounding her.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67298675

How could she have been forgotten?

Over the following years, the Polish exile became the stuff of legend in the intelligence community. "She was this countess who had all of these connections to varying people in the know," Mulley explains. ...

In 1944, she climbed up to a German garrison based on a strategic pass in the Alps. Using a loudhailer, she convinced a group of 63 Polish officers forced into the German army to sabotage the military installations and desert, causing the garrison's commander to surrender. ...

Yet in spite of her heroism, come the end of the war, in Britain Granville would find the country for which she had repeatedly risked her life had seemingly abandoned her.

"The last entry in the British files that relates to her, and this is just a quote from it, it says 'she is no longer wanted'," explains Mulley. ...

Even though Granville was unable to return to communist-controlled Poland because of the likelihood of her being targeted by the Soviet secret services, her temporary UK papers were not renewed and she had to leave Britain.

Granville would return to the UK to refuse to accept a George Medal and OBE awarded to her for her war efforts, thereby shaming the government into finally offering her citizenship. She ended up accepting the awards. ...

Mulley, who has been working to have Granville's achievements more widely recognised, successfully organised in 2020 for a blue plaque to be placed on Number 1 Lexham Gardens, which was once the Shelbourne Hotel and is still a hotel today. Mulley was also behind the creation of a Granville Suite at the luxury hotel The OWO, which opened in September in what was once the Old War Office in Whitehall.

"She's fallen between the lines and I think that's what's happened to her story as well," Mulley says. "So I'm out there, solo championing her."

Claire Mulley's latest book Agent Zo tells the tale of Polish World War Two resistance fighter Elżbieta Zawacka and will be published in May.

Men's sartorial choices have widened quite considerably over the past few decades, at least in America and Western Europe. Men can (without ridicule) wear a wider variety of colours now than in the recent past. The wearing of shorts has become commonplace - and is even allowable in some work places in the summer months. Gender bending rock and pop stars and climate change have played their part. Harry Styles, for example, has been pictured wearing a dress.

But who has anticipated this trend the most? Was it the `hippies` of the nineteeen sixties? The various New Wave fashionistas of the Eighties such as `The new Romantics`?

If you're anything like me, you'll surprised to learn that there was an organisation in the interwar years in Britain pressing for just such changes. They called themselves The Men's Dress Reform Party and were set up in 1929 and lasted until 1940.

They argued that since, at least, the First World War men's dress had become too stuffy , mass produced and unaesthetic. They favoured loose clothing using coloured materials and advocated (and practiced) the wearing of shorts (remember this was a time when even male tennis players were expected to be donned in long trousers!) Some even proposed the wearing of dresses for men - well, kilts at least. They talked much of `male beauty` in a way that would put Jim Morrison, for example, to shame.

These people were not fringe fruitcakes either. The pressure group was composed of middle-class professionals, such as doctors and psychologists, eminent in their field. They held well attended meetings and events and were well covered (if not always positively) by the national press.

it seems to have been the interruption of the Second World War that finished them off (as an organised group) - alongside, no doubt, much else besides.
Read all about it:

https://www.cost-ofliving.net/fashion-male-beauty-and-the-mens-dress-reform-party/

How could she have been forgotten?

Over the following years, the Polish exile became the stuff of legend in the intelligence community. "She was this countess who had all of these connections to varying people in the know," Mulley explains. ...

In 1944, she climbed up to a German garrison based on a strategic pass in the Alps. Using a loudhailer, she convinced a group of 63 Polish officers forced into the German army to sabotage the military installations and desert, causing the garrison's commander to surrender. ...

Yet in spite of her heroism, come the end of the war, in Britain Granville would find the country for which she had repeatedly risked her life had seemingly abandoned her.

"The last entry in the British files that relates to her, and this is just a quote from it, it says 'she is no longer wanted'," explains Mulley. ...

Even though Granville was unable to return to communist-controlled Poland because of the likelihood of her being targeted by the Soviet secret services, her temporary UK papers were not renewed and she had to leave Britain.

Granville would return to the UK to refuse to accept a George Medal and OBE awarded to her for her war efforts, thereby shaming the government into finally offering her citizenship. She ended up accepting the awards. ...

Mulley, who has been working to have Granville's achievements more widely recognised, successfully organised in 2020 for a blue plaque to be placed on Number 1 Lexham Gardens, which was once the Shelbourne Hotel and is still a hotel today. Mulley was also behind the creation of a Granville Suite at the luxury hotel The OWO, which opened in September in what was once the Old War Office in Whitehall.

"She's fallen between the lines and I think that's what's happened to her story as well," Mulley says. "So I'm out there, solo championing her."

Claire Mulley's latest book Agent Zo tells the tale of Polish World War Two resistance fighter Elżbieta Zawacka and will be published in May.

A lot of achievements by women seem to be ‘lost’ in history.

Men's sartorial choices have widened quite considerably over the past few decades, at least in America and Western Europe. Men can (without ridicule) wear a wider variety of colours now than in the recent past. The wearing of shorts has become commonplace - and is even allowable in some work places in the summer months. Gender bending rock and pop stars and climate change have played their part. Harry Styles, for example, has been pictured wearing a dress.

But who has anticipated this trend the most? Was it the `hippies` of the nineteeen sixties? The various New Wave fashionistas of the Eighties such as `The new Romantics`?

If you're anything like me, you'll surprised to learn that there was an organisation in the interwar years in Britain pressing for just such changes. They called themselves The Men's Dress Reform Party and were set up in 1929 and lasted until 1940.

They argued that since, at least, the First World War men's dress had become too stuffy , mass produced and unaesthetic. They favoured loose clothing using coloured materials and advocated (and practiced) the wearing of shorts (remember this was a time when even male tennis players were expected to be donned in long trousers!) Some even proposed the wearing of dresses for men - well, kilts at least. They talked much of `male beauty` in a way that would put Jim Morrison, for example, to shame.

These people were not fringe fruitcakes either. The pressure group was composed of middle-class professionals, such as doctors and psychologists, eminent in their field. They held well attended meetings and events and were well covered (if not always positively) by the national press.

it seems to have been the interruption of the Second World War that finished them off (as an organised group) - alongside, no doubt, much else besides.
Read all about it:

https://www.cost-ofliving.net/fashion-male-beauty-and-the-mens-dress-reform-party/
I do say that when it comes to clothes women have much more freedom than men. Women have been wearing trousers for a least 100 years now. But if men wanted to wear a skirt they’d be laughed at.

I do say that when it comes to clothes women have much more freedom than men. Women have been wearing trousers for a least 100 years now. But if men wanted to wear a skirt they’d be laughed at.
Generally speaking, this goes back a long way into history. During lengthy periods when there was no war, men were more free to wear whatever they wanted (pretty much). But whenever there was a war, they'd have to shave their heads, forget about personal hygiene and wear practical, warlike clothing. Then we had the industrial revolution, which meant that men had to wear practical clothing at all times.

Read all about it:

And look what happened;
JH.jpg

I'm guessing that it's a riff on Bond imagery. James Hunt as James Bond, replete with faux-awestruck, available woman but minus the phallic silencer. :D

And still, we have no female F1 drivers in the main event. Not much progress there; as in the first photograph, women are still deemed to be mere ornaments.
Well, there have been female F1 drivers, none of them lasted long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_Formula_One_drivers

But , like other non-sports, (e.g. darts) i don't see why women can't compete on a level basis - maybe it's because far fewer girls than boys start taking part in things like karting early enough?

What's the point there? That a F1 driver needs to pose with a nude model to make him look masculine? :chuckle:
I suppose it was really. It was either women, beer or a cigarette.
It was just the done thing then.

I have to admit though, that I do miss the pit babes too.

I suppose it was really. It was either women, beer or a cigarette.
It was just the done thing then.

I have to admit though, that I do miss the pit babes too.
I can 100% guarantee that they don't miss YOU! :chuckle:
I'm guessing that it's a riff on Bond imagery. James Hunt as James Bond, replete with faux-awestruck, available woman but minus the phallic silencer. :D
:nods: Just his, er, helmet.

Back