• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Local & Dialect Words

I got asked once in Blackhall “Dist tha knar ma mate johnty?”…….Do you know my friend John?
A teacher at my school (Derbyshire) told us that years before when they had built a new woodwork/metalwork (as it was then) block, Princess Margaret came to 'open' it.

While walking around, she picked on the worst possible kid (according to the teacher) to speak to and said ''I say, that's a lovely chair you're making'' to which he replied ''It tisna a chair missus, it's a stoo-el'' (stool).

*Edited to get his pronunciation of 'stool' correct.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that in Durham a stottie is a flat cake with lots of currants in it - oh, and it bounces...which is what Stot means. This was through the fifties so, it might have changed over the last fifty years or so.

I'm pretty sure that in Durham a stottie is a flat cake with lots of currants in it - oh, and it bounces...which is what Stot means. This was through the fifties so, it might have changed over the last fifty years or so.
Currants?

The nearest dentist we could get treatment at was at Redcar ... from Filey (Scarborough).

Went past Redcar Beacon today on the bus. I wonder what it is supposed to be.
3447281_3cdda0dc.jpg

Oi! My Grandad came from there!
It was just after the war Mytho, there was the The Claggy ( a clay pit half full of water where mattresses went to die), and the Beck - strangely called the Lustrum Beck to play on, and the slag heaps on the way to Portrack...and if you could afford it Billingham baths once a week (get in early before those of us that had no tin bath hanging on the wall did.

It was a bit...bleak.

Then we emigrated to Australia. Nuff said eh.

It was just after the war Mytho, there was the The Claggy ( a clay pit half full of water where mattresses went to die), and the Beck - strangely called the Lustrum Beck to play on, and the slag heaps on the way to Portrack...and if you could afford it Billingham baths once a week (get in early before those of us that had no tin bath hanging on the wall did.

It was a bit...bleak.

Thanks to no jobs in Stockton, my Grandad moved to Newcastle, where he met my Grandma. Then the Great Depression hit, so they moved down to London. Down his street, he was the only one with a job (because he worked in the oil industry). Then WWII happened.
He didn't get called up because he was already in a dangerous reserved occupation.
Stockton today looks quite nice, probably because all the industry has vanished.

It was a bit...bleak.

Lustrum Beck sounds Roman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lustrum

Back