• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD): Compendium Thread

I like to go out early, if it isn't raining, and watch the sunrise and see whether there are any interesting birds over the sea. There are usually some dog walkers and joggers who exchange pleasantries and may stop to chat briefly. I find that is quite enough human contact to last me until the next time I'm out at dawn.

I've often said that my form of relaxation is to go for a pint or two in the local pub. I sit in a corner and read my book.
The locals are used to me now and I'm confident enough to chat briefly, sometimes being asked for an opinion, interaction and so on. I'm also the substitute quiz master for the regular pub quiz! I've worked in retail for decades, dealing with customers, and I've played table-top role playing games, as well as organised public events. I've been a Lion club member and a town Councillor.
I'm able to overcome my dislike of attention, interact with the public - even act or make a speech. But I need a 'run up' to it and it has to be on my terms. Strangers tend to look offended when they 'come up on my blind-side!' :)

I could've guessed what the response would be to this reader's letter. :(

'I’ve fallen out with all my friends and colleagues – why?

Yesterday I paused to take stock of my life and counted all the people, both in my professional life and personal life, who I haven’t got along with. I have a list of 45 names. I start out fine and then somewhere along the way things turn bitter.

Why have all these professional and personal relationships soured? At some point these people stop looking me in the eye, stop talking to me, ignore me, stop calling me, start excluding me, start forming cliques around me, start isolating me. I am 40 years old and I do not have a single friend or a colleague with whom I have not had a bad relationship. I have just left another job, because I fell out with all my team.'

Columnnist's reply:

'Try reading The Autistic Brain by Temple Grandin. No one can know if you are on the autistic spectrum from one email, but this book can be useful for anyone who may not have a natural instinct on how to get along with other people.'

Yuck.

Last edited:
I could've guessed what the response would be to this reader's letter. :(

'I’ve fallen out with all my friends and colleagues – why?

Yesterday I paused to take stock of my life and counted all the people, both in my professional life and personal life, who I haven’t got along with. I have a list of 45 names. I start out fine and then somewhere along the way things turn bitter.

Why have all these professional and personal relationships soured? At some point these people stop looking me in the eye, stop talking to me, ignore me, stop calling me, start excluding me, start forming cliques around me, start isolating me. I am 40 years old and I do not have a single friend or a colleague with whom I have not had a bad relationship. I have just left another job, because I fell out with all my team.'

Columnnist's reply:

'Try reading The Autistic Brain by Temple Grandin. No one can know if you are on the autistic spectrum from one email, but this book can be useful for anyone who may not have a natural instinct on how to get along with other people.'

Yuck.
I knew someone exactly like that. Friends and colleagues would "fall out with her" as did neighbours to the extent that she had to look around when she went out to avoid meeting her "enemies". Had to change jobs and husbands frequently, but never modified her behaviour and had zero perception of the affect of her behaviour. I come across her every few years and she has not changed one iota. I have sympathy to some extent but most people learn to modify their behaviour, but not her. Weird.

I don't get lonely, either. During lockdown I had a great time doing my own thing, hardly ever being disturbed. Everyone else has been talking about mental health issues ever since.
For those who need people around them, are very social orientated etc it must have been hellish. Ms P is in an exempt job and therefore had plenty of contact with others. I am content with my own company usually but found it difficult and didn't comply strictly with the rules. (don't tell anyone though).

My wife always jokes "You were bloody autistic before it was invented!"
Of course, I was always with the condition but my childhood background meant that autism was only something that was shown at its most non-responsive. My parents thought me hyperactive and 'bright' (as if it was unusual). But it never occurred to me that people didn't see the world as I do. I grew up with coping mechanisms that I didn't realise were coping mechanisms. I just considered what I had to do to get through life.
It was only when I met t'missus and gained a step-son with Aspergers, I realised I could see the world how he saw it. I acted as a translator or guide to his perception for her. It was then my wife pointed out how many autistic traits I had. Yup - I'm self-diagnosed (as yucky as I find that) but, after all these decades, I don't really need an official diagnosis. At least I recognise when I need to formulate coping mechanisms and see issues that might come my way.
Must have been a great comfort to your wife and stepson to come across someone who is understanding.

Columnnist's reply:

This quote sounds like an insult when the response was actually much longer and more nuanced.

It's a Guardian column -
I’ve fallen out with all my friends and colleagues – why?

Why have all these professional and personal relationships soured? At some point these people stop looking me in the eye, stop talking to me, ignore me, stop calling me, start excluding me, start forming cliques around me, start isolating me. I am 40 years old and I do not have a single friend or a colleague with whom I have not had a bad relationship. I have just left another job, because I fell out with all my team. I have a new job lined up, but what’s to stop this happening again?

I have occasional clashes with my family, nonetheless they are there for me and support me. Besides this, I have not been able to forge a single lasting relationship.

I wouldn't like to say why this person rubs everyone up the wrong way but as they've noticed, it's certainly something they're doing.

For a start, they remember by name 45 people they've not got along with. That's weapons-grade grudge-holding: most of us might vaguely think back to that time some wanker laughed about reaching over us and grabbing the last pie in the canteen so we had to make do with a sausage. :dunno:

Are they like the woman @PeteS knew, who was always falling out with people? She sounds more like a drama queen.

Hi.:)

Do you mean that I perhaps misunderstood? Sadly that would not be unusual for me.

Thank you. :) I really should think before writing though.

This places enjoys the discussions which happen, just as Mme Snail says. Don't let the urge to be perfect stop the inclination to continue being excellent!

Anyway, that anyone is recommending Temple Grandin for a beginner is concerning :(

I knew someone exactly like that. Friends and colleagues would "fall out with her" as did neighbours to the extent that she had to look around when she went out to avoid meeting her "enemies". Had to change jobs and husbands frequently, but never modified her behaviour and had zero perception of the affect of her behaviour. I come across her every few years and she has not changed one iota. I have sympathy to some extent but most people learn to modify their behaviour, but not her. Weird.
We have a poster (can't remember which) who described how a gobby bloke collected a battering in a pub car park for mouthing off to the wrong person. It happens. :chuckle:

This is rather embarrassing to admit, not least because I'm unsure if it's related to Autism or not*: I've an absolute, irrational terror of reasonably high bridges. Not merely a standard 'fear of heights' thing, but more strange and paralysing. For example, there's a completely ordinary 30/40-feet-high concrete bridge near my home, upon which I dare not cross despite it surely being perfectly safe for walking. Along with the frightening - to me - fact that it isn't straight-forward (but, rather, it has a curved section), there's also my bizarre fear that something (an invisible force of some kind?) will swiftly grab at me & pull me to or over the side. Seeing as I've never had suicidal thoughts, even the usual 'subconscious desire' explanation doesn't fit. Is any of this familiar to anybody here? Can anyone proffer a possible explanation, please?

*On searching the 'net, most of the specifically relevant results relate to autistic children only.

it isn't straight-forward (but, rather, it has a curved section)

AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!!!!!!!

Have a look at vestibular and propriosensory senses and their different expressions? Something like your bridge would get me to the point of not being sure where my body was in relation to both itself and the outside world.

This can give the feeling that external forces are misbehaving and acting on the body in incorrect ways. Sorry, don't know how to phrase that. In my case (again) this can lead to me clinging to the pavement trying not to fall off it - like the old jokes about being drunk?

If every sense (more than 5 :) ) is telling you that something is dragging you to one side then your body and yout automatic responses are going to go all lizard-brain on you and take evasive action regardless of what your monkey-brain is trying to assert. While this sort of thing is happeneing to you the bad stuff is TRUE. End of. Afterwards you can take a reasoned and reasonable attitude as you have done above, but in the moment? Excuse me I just need to lie on the floor and hold on to the carpet for a while...

As to if it's an autistic thing? No, I don't think it is. But I believe (but it's been 10+ years since I studied his aspect) that the sensory differences, distortions, devaitions and dislocations which are very often associated with autism happen in all senses not just the five we all learn about in infants school. So it's a co-morbid / co-occurring thing rather than a core thing.

Very common. And it explains some of the behaviours NTs find so perplexing and disturbing, especially where someone's communication issues mean they can't explain in a way the observer finds satisfactory.

TL;DR Yeah the freakiness is real ;)

Thank you very much for that absolutely fantastic explanation! :)

The curved section buts-out, and brings it home to me that I'm effectively standing in mid-air...with a 30-foot-plus drop beneath me. Hence the terrible sudden fear.
*cries*

Still can't understand the whole 'invisible force' thing. It's not even as if I believe the bridge is haunted. Oh well.

Still can't understand the whole 'invisible force' thing. It's not even as if I believe the bridge is haunted. Oh well.

well, this is the fortean board. I don't want to upset you but in here there is a small but measureable chance that your lizard brain is right, there will be an invisible force. :(

This is rather embarrassing to admit, not least because I'm unsure if it's related to Autism or not*: I've an absolute, irrational terror of reasonably high bridges. Not merely a standard 'fear of heights' thing, but more strange and paralysing. For example, there's a completely ordinary 30/40-feet-high concrete bridge near my home, upon which I dare not cross despite it surely being perfectly safe for walking. Along with the frightening - to me - fact that it isn't straight-forward (but, rather, it has a curved section), there's also my bizarre fear that something (an invisible force of some kind?) will swiftly grab at me & pull me to or over the side. Seeing as I've never had suicidal thoughts, even the usual 'subconscious desire' explanation doesn't fit. Is any of this familiar to anybody here? Can anyone proffer a possible explanation, please?

*On searching the 'net, most of the specifically relevant results relate to autistic children only.
No need to be embarrassed - the fear of bridges is more common than you think and has been discussed before on this forum. Strangely I like bridges and going over them. Gives Ms Me the heebeejeebies though.

My missus too. She doesn't mind the sea - and she can swim - but she doesn't like walking over bridges or piers where she can't see to the bottom. Moreso with still bodies of water such as calm rivers, canals or reservoirs.

Leaving aside the possibly-inexplcable 'force' thing I mentioned, I suspect that my fear is basically a longstanding angst over mortality - I was extremely late to truly understand/accept that we're all mortal, and this was devastating.

Back