• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jones lawyer’s license is suspended for releasing sensitive records

Norman Pattis cannot practice in Connecticut after releasing medical records of Sandy Hook families during Infowars host’s trial

In a court order that she issued on Thursday, Connecticut judge Barbara Bellis suspended New Haven-based Norman Pattis from practicing law in the state for six months.

Bellis, who decried Pattis’s actions as “inexcusable” and an “abject failure”, wrote: “We cannot expect our system of justice or our attorneys to be perfect, but we can expect fundamental fairness and decency.”
Pattis had sent out medical records pertaining to some of the families of those killed during the Sandy Hook attack, along with other information that was considered confidential, Bellis’s ruling showed.

Despite Pattis’s claim that the release of the records was an “inadvertent mistake”, Bellis “flatly rejects” the claim. In her court order, she wrote that “there was no fairness or decency” in how Pattis handled “sensitive and personal information” at the center of a lawsuit in which the families of Sandy Hook victims accused Jones of using the shooting that killed 26 at the school to build his audience and make millions of dollars through his false claims that the tragedy was a hoax aimed at forcing the US to accept gun reform.

“At a basic level, attorneys must competently and appropriately handle the discovery of sensitive materials in civil cases. Otherwise, our civil system, in which discovery of sensitive information is customary and routine, would simply collapse,” Bellis continued.

Jones lawyer’s license is suspended for releasing sensitive records

Norman Pattis cannot practice in Connecticut after releasing medical records of Sandy Hook families during Infowars host’s trial

In a court order that she issued on Thursday, Connecticut judge Barbara Bellis suspended New Haven-based Norman Pattis from practicing law in the state for six months.

Bellis, who decried Pattis’s actions as “inexcusable” and an “abject failure”, wrote: “We cannot expect our system of justice or our attorneys to be perfect, but we can expect fundamental fairness and decency.”
Why is it I had the strangest mental image when I read the words Sensitive Records?

ab67616d0000b27358b66149fe19a99ea5436f91.jpeg

I've heard Piers being accused of a lot of things but mind control ...

Infowars conspiracy theorist Alex Jones accused British broadcaster Piers Morgan of engaging in "mind control" during a contentious interview that ended abruptly.

Following a roughly 30-minute argument, Morgan called Jones "utterly contemptible" before ending their discussion in an interview released on Thursday. Jones accused Morgan of attempting to "put things into [his] mouth" during the exchange, urging viewers to visit his website for "the truth" before protesting that he was not allowed to discuss topics such as "the new world order" and "the global government."

"Don't let Piers mind-control you," Jones said as Morgan admonished him for promoting falsehoods that harmed the families of Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre victims.

https://www.newsweek.com/alex-jones-accuses-piers-morgan-mind-control-contentious-interview-1773466

As much as I dislike Morgan, if even he calls out Jones for the nasty piece of work that he is, then Jones should be de-platformed.

Alex Jones Wants This Comedian Arrested Over A Prank Call
Comic Chris James, who tricked Alex Jones with an AI Tucker Carlson voice, tells Rolling Stone the joke was just for laughs
When Alex Jones picked up a call from Tucker Carlson’s number on Wednesday night, the conspiracy theorist and Infowars founder had what he would later call “one of the most bizarre” events of his life. “I was thinking we could do a show together where we’re topless and we suck each others’ nipples and sort of play with them a bit,” Carlson’s voice said. “It would be a comment on gender roles, sort of a funny parody thing.” While the conservative host has said some pretty wild things on his show before he was unceremoniously ousted from Fox, it wasn’t Carlson on the other end of the line. It was an AI spoof call. Comedian Chris James, the brain behind the prank call, tells Rolling Stone he came up with the idea while sitting on the toilet.
https://www.rollingstone.com/cultur...fowars-comedian-arrest-prank-call-1234731291/

The Alex Jones case proves the power of Social Media to act in a way that well for want of a better phrase is anything but social

We've always had cranks and assorted nutjobs but prior to the Social Media age they were restricted to roaming around town with a sandwich board, or having an obscure newsletter (circulation 15) and no one would listen to them, most decent folk would cross over the road rather than get in a conversation with them, but it seems that causing outrage and offence has now become a money maker, my solution is to make all Social Media platforms publishers it's the only way we are going to stop this harmful nonsense, make them responsible for everything that is published on their sites they would soon put a stop to it, of course it would cost them but they are making huge profits anyway

Could this be the real Elon Musk? And could this happen?

1702147242185.png

Elon's lost interest with Twitter/X.
He's knackered it, blaming everyone else apart from him, and is looking at the company failure as a write-off.
Generate publicity, grab the Alex Jones worshippers, hit headlines ... then dump.
Well... he paid $44 billion too much, then tanked the advertising. All his own fault.

Why wouldn't it be the real Elon?
Because it feels like bad for business, but maybe it's not ... maybe more controversy attracts more views. But it won't bring back the advertisers I think. And Nassim Taleb supports the move:

1702148953846.png

Just because it's bad for business doesn't mean it's not Musk. Look at everything he's done to the platform since he was forced to buy it.
Regardless of his wealth, background or business acumen (or lack of it), Musk has always behaved like a spoilt brat. He was forced to go through the purchase of Twitter and, after pulling it about a bit he's lost interest. The platform needs advertisers. He drives them away, blaming them for the losses, not his own behaviour. So now, he's appealing to the more outrageous and outré groups in the hope they'll bring their supporters and, by extension, paying advertisers.
I think he's behaving predictably.
Imagine he's a spoiled child demanding an expensive toy. The parents hold out, he tantrums and behaves badly. The parents give up and gives him his demanded toy. The child plays with it a bit then finds he doesn't like it anymore and starts smashing it up in frustration.

Let's not forget that, while Musk is the majority shareholder, there are quite a few others and the platform still has huge amounts of debt to service.

This is an interesting analysis of the sorry affair -

I'm all for free speech, but there is also a responsibility. Alex Jones has shown he is not willing to exercise that responsibility.
Ergo, he should not be silenced, but he also does not deserve a platform.
X/Twitter is still, despite the efforts of Elmo Musk, a considerable platform.
Jones does not deserve it, nor is it healthy to give him the oxygen.
It's funny the way that Musk agonises only over those who are abhorrent and yet share much of his exhibited world views.

What Musk has done with Twitter/X is remove the blatant censorship that banned anything except the official state sponsored narrative especially with regards to covid and the vaccines.

Unfortunately, freedom of speech means Alex Jones gets a platform to air his views as well.

X/Twitter has become the 'go to' place to find what's going on in the world as the media in terms of the truth has become a total joke.

...X/Twitter has become the 'go to' place to find what's going on in the world as the media in terms of the truth has become a total joke.

Personally, I think it's a case of 'and', rather than 'either/or'.

As in, for many, it's just another place to tell lies. Different lies, maybe; but still - lots and lots of lies.

Personally, I think it's a case of 'and', rather than 'either/or'.

As in, for many, it's just another place to tell lies. Different lies, maybe; but still - lots and lots of lies.
There is that - plenty of lies. There's also a lot of genuine and truthful people on there as well. It takes discrimination which is something there is a shortage of in today's society.

The news media has also become a place of lots and lots of lies except with the news media, most seem to think they basically always tell the truth.

What Musk has done with Twitter/X is remove the blatant censorship that banned anything except the official state sponsored narrative especially with regards to covid and the vaccines.

Unfortunately, freedom of speech means Alex Jones gets a platform to air his views as well.

X/Twitter has become the 'go to' place to find what's going on in the world as the media in terms of the truth has become a total joke.
I would disagree.
The only ones he has championed are those for whom he as already shown some level of sympathy in outlook, if not direct support.
He doesn't seem interested in platforming those with whom he does not share an outlook.

He definitely wasn't up for the freedom of expression of the guy who reported on the movements of his private jet, despite all information being in the public domain. That's hardly the actions of a free speech 'absolutist'.

I would disagree.
The only ones he has championed are those for whom he as already shown some level of sympathy in outlook, if not direct support.
He doesn't seem interested in platforming those with whom he does not share an outlook.

He definitely wasn't up for the freedom of expression of the guy who reported on the movements of his private jet, despite all information being in the public domain. That's hardly the actions of a free speech 'absolutist'.
With regards his jet, I seem to remember it was the difference between the information being available if one looks for it and it being publicised in a very high profile way.

Has Musk actually championed anyone? On X/Twitter there seems to be all types of view points but the poster has to abide by the rules of no hate speech, racism, etc.

With regards his jet, I seem to remember it was the difference between the information being available if one looks for it and it being publicised in a very high profile way.

Has Musk actually championed anyone? On X/Twitter there seems to be all types of view points but the poster has to abide by the rules of no hate speech, racism, etc.
Indeed, this is supposed to be the case, but those who seem to get the benefit of the doubt are the w=ones with whom he appears to share sentiment.

Indeed, this is supposed to be the case, but those who seem to get the benefit of the doubt are the w=ones with whom he appears to share sentiment.
I'm struggling with what you mean exactly. What sentiment or sentiments do you mean? Thanks.

The question is who decides what is racism, hate speech etc.?

Back