• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
If one of your children had been shot & killed at school, you were portrayed as a ‘crisis actor’ then been on the receiving end of abuse & threats for the best part of a decade as a result, you might consider it a bit more than ‘hurtyfeelz'.

He’s banged on about it for years & supporters of his poison have increased traffic to his site & income from selling ‘health products’ & so forth has also increased.

There will be appeals & 1 billion may be unrealistic but he should be hit hard financially & I hope he is.
I agree that they have felt much pain and they should be awarded something.
However, some of those settlements are beyond anything I've seen before. I guess there has been no upper limit set. There can be no realistic way that Jones will be able to pay that.

This is, allegedly, a list of the Top 20 wrongful death settlements in the USA for 2020. The highest figure is $13.5M.

The plaintiffs in the Jones case have been awarded an average of $64M for having hurtful things said about them.

Jones has been banned from every mass media platform - Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube etc.

Job done.

maximus otter

I agree that the figure is absurd (to the extent that it seems to bear no relationship to anything other than the opprobium in which Jones is held by many people), but this is a bad take:

'Hurtyfeels' trumps everything else.

There are plenty of 'emotional damage' suits that materialise out of the oversensitivity or avarice of the plaintives, but this isn't one. What happened to the victims here was extreme and life altering—I can't begin to imagine the anguish it put them through.

His reaction to the judgment

Alex Jones Mocks Grieving Sandy Hook Families As He Livestreams $1B Verdict: “Do These People Really Think They’re Getting Any Of This Money?”​

By Tom Tapp

Tom Tapp

Deputy Managing Editor

Alex Jones was not in a Connecticut courtroom today as a nearly $1 billion judgement was read against him in the defamation case brought by families of children murdered in the Sandy Hook School Shooting, whom he has repeatedly and erroneously accused of being so-called crisis actors. But Jones did find the time to do a simulcast mocking the judgement — and by extension the families — as it was read.
“$50 million! $80 million! Blah, Blah. You get a million! You get a $100 million! You get $50 million!” he shouted as anguished family members cried on screen even as the settlements were awarded them.​

https://deadline.com/2022/10/alex-j...-theyre-getting-any-of-this-money-1235143242/

I agree that the figure is absurd (to the extent that it seems to bear no relationship to anything other than the opprobium in which Jones is held by many people)...

I wonder if the jurors have gone astronomical because they know that it's not uncommon for damages to be reduced further along the legal path. Jones and his legal representatives are likely to have appealed any award, whatever the amount - so it makes total sense to bid high in the first instance. Also, some states cap punitive damages (there's a difference between compensatory and punitive damages - I'm not sure if one or the other is easier to appeal), which means excessive awards are often effectively symbolic in nature.

Although punitive damages in defamation cases are generally on a much more modest scale, I can find one example in the US (Gibson’s Bakery v. Oberlin College) which reached 43 million dollars. (There's some confusion about the figure online - but I wonder if this may be down to people not taking into account both compensatory and punitive awards.)

Also worth noting that whatever the figures were in 2020 - wrongful death settlements can go mind bogglingly higher than those listed for that year. See here.

Sorry. I am the king of 'bad take', I guess.

e03bfcfd1ae7e8150bd9fcbd746acff6.gif

We still love you.

He won't pay it.
But any money he makes from now on will be earmarked and tainted. His house and property and valuables could be foreclosed. What he will do is likely the following: Continue to engage in fundraising that will keep him personally afloat by hiding the money so it can't be touched - not a great way to live the rest of his life. Or he'll commit suicide as a martyr to free speech or attempt to fake his death. I'm guessing he'll try that latter option but fail because that fantasy fiction doesn't work in today's society.

There is no winning when he still retains the obsessed, maniacal, and warped following as he has.

He won't pay it.
But any money he makes from now on will be earmarked and tainted. His house and property and valuables could be foreclosed. What he will do is likely the following: Continue to engage in fundraising that will keep him personally afloat by hiding the money so it can't be touched - not a great way to live the rest of his life. Or he'll commit suicide as a martyr to free speech or attempt to fake his death. I'm guessing he'll try that latter option but fail because that fantasy fiction doesn't work in today's society.

There is no winning when he still retains the obsessed, maniacal, and warped following as he has.

Sounds so much like someone else!

First and foremost - this week's verdict doesn't represent the end of the legal battles.

The $965,000,000 verdict was for compensatory damages. The issue of punitive damages is still to be decided. The possible scale of a punitive damages levy might be as great or greater than the compensatory damages verdict, in part because there's an open issue concerning whether he violated Connecticut law regarding deceptive marketing practices.

This week's verdict was a partial outcome of the second lawsuit filed against Jones. A third lawsuit in Texas will go to trial in the coming months.

The eventual final outcome of the current proceedings will almost certainly be appealed. This could easily drag on for years.

Jones' media holding company - Free Speech Systems - filed for bankruptcy back in April. I think a personal bankruptcy action is sure to follow. Jones' financial affairs were already shrouded in secrecy, and the holding company's bankruptcy case makes it even more difficult to evaluate his assets and net worth. There have been persistent accusations that he's been hiding his assets for years.

This mess is nowhere near closure.

He won't pay it.

Every public rebuke or loss is a good thing. Incremental victories.....

I have added this person to my "Fuck 'em" list of infamy. Everyone needs to have this type of list.

I wonder what the legal fees were.
How much did the vultures SORRY, attorneys make out of the case?
Gi-flippin'-gantic, I should think.
I'm guessing that those fees might be getting close to how much Jones is worth. So they'll get paid, and I'm thinking there will be no money left over after that.

I wonder what the legal fees were.
How much did the vultures SORRY, attorneys make out of the case?

One of Jones employees is on record as stating that Jones made $810,000 in sales of product on a single day in 2020. I doubt any legal representatives are on a daily rate anywhere near that.

The calculation which provided the baseline for the initial compensatory damage claim (according to Bloomberg Law) was set by claiming roughly one US dollar for every impression made on Jones social media accounts in the six years after Sandy Hook. That baseline was $550 million.

The villains here are not oversensitive (for pity's sake) parents or their legal representatives - the villain is absolutely, unequivocally, without the merest shadow of a doubt, Alex fucking Jones. Not one single solitary individual would be earning a cent out of this if Alex Jones hadn't made millions out of a mass murder. Fuck him all the way to hell - and pay the lawyers to do it.

First and foremost - this week's verdict doesn't represent the end of the legal battles.

The $965,000,000 verdict was for compensatory damages. The issue of punitive damages is still to be decided. The possible scale of a punitive damages levy might be as great or greater than the compensatory damages verdict, in part because there's an open issue concerning whether he violated Connecticut law regarding deceptive marketing practices.

This week's verdict was a partial outcome of the second lawsuit filed against Jones. A third lawsuit in Texas will go to trial in the coming months.

The eventual final outcome of the current proceedings will almost certainly be appealed. This could easily drag on for years.

Jones' media holding company - Free Speech Systems - filed for bankruptcy back in April. I think a personal bankruptcy action is sure to follow. Jones' financial affairs were already shrouded in secrecy, and the holding company's bankruptcy case makes it even more difficult to evaluate his assets and net worth. There have been persistent accusations that he's been hiding his assets for years.

This mess is nowhere near closure.
The bankruptcy may or may not be approved by a judge. It's not clear that the corporation is - you know - actually insolvent. This is going to be one of those situations where the plaintiffs just don't quit and the usual dodges, that work because no one wants to prolong a legal battle, won't be of any use. He's going to spend the rest of his life in depositions and court. These are Connecticut courts and Eastern circuit federal judges -one non-profit in NY was denied the protection of bankruptcy earlier this year, and one foundation was shut down (and the deductibility of contributions to it was denied) last year. If you hang on and are willing to do the work the courts will come through.

One of Jones employees is on record as stating that Jones made $810,000 in sales of product on a single day in 2020. I doubt any legal representatives are on a daily rate anywhere near that.

The calculation which provided the baseline for the initial compensatory damage claim (according to Bloomberg Law) was set by claiming roughly one US dollar for every impression made on Jones social media accounts in the six years after Sandy Hook. That baseline was $550 million.

This second fact I did not know—I stand corrected, though the correlation between website hits and damage to the families affected is pretty scattershot.

As to the first fact, this single day—I have read—was likely remarked upon as it was... remarkable and not a typical daily gross. One of the articles upthread notes that Infowars's income varied wildly according to the political cycle and the changing weather of current events.

This second fact I did not know—I stand corrected, though the correlation between website hits and damage to the families affected is pretty scattershot.

As to the first fact, this single day—I have read—was likely remarked upon as it was... remarkable and not a typical daily gross. One of the articles upthread notes that Infowars's income varied wildly according to the political cycle and the changing weather of current events.

Oh, yes - the $810,000 is clearly the top end of the sample; it's an indication of potential, rather than of central tendency.

There's a suggestion that sales spike in relation to the particular material being covered in his shows, and the way that material is covered - the more shouty, frenzied and outrageous in nature, the more sales. Figures for financial damages settlements are notoriously difficult to set, and often apparently arbitrary in nature, but it kind of makes sense to me that if each social media interaction reflects a potential point of revenue, and that those points increase in response to the material at the heart of the case, then this might be a place to start. It also helps ameliorate the fact that Jones will, and does, actively wring every ounce of publicity he can out of these court cases to fire up his base - you can't prevent that, but you can turn it around on him, by making every extra hit the base unit for punishment. Yes, he's getting the oxygen of publicity - but this puts a drop of cyanide in each breath.

As @Sharon Hill has already stated. He's not going to pay the amounts being spoken about just now, but he will effectively being paying something out of every dollar he earns for the rest of his life. Think of it as an Asshole Tax.

Oh, yes - the $810,000 is clearly the top end of the sample; it's an indication of potential, rather than of central tendency.

There's a suggestion that sales spike in relation to the particular material being covered in his shows, and the way that material is covered - the more shouty, frenzied and outrageous in nature, the more sales. Figures for financial damages settlements are notoriously difficult to set, and often apparently arbitrary in nature, but it kind of makes sense to me that if each social media interaction reflects a potential point of revenue, and that those points increase in response to the material at the heart of the case, then this might be a place to start. It also helps ameliorate the fact that Jones will, and does, actively wring every ounce of publicity he can out of these court cases to fire up his base - you can't prevent that, but you can turn it around on him, by making every extra hit the base unit for punishment. Yes, he's getting the oxygen of publicity - but this puts a drop of cyanide in each breath.

As @Sharon Hill has already stated. He's not going to pay the amounts being spoken about just now, but he will effectively being paying something out of every dollar he earns for the rest of his life. Think of it as an Asshole Tax.
" Think of it as an Asshole Tax." I love it.

In effect, such a huge amount makes Jones a pariah when it comes to earnings potential. Who would financially back or fund such a black hole? Hardly a good investment.
It must be noted that the lawyers for the families asked for half a billion; the final sum was awarded by the jury. Factors include Connecticut doesn't have a cap on compensatory damages (different from remedial damages), Sandy Hook is a community in that state and might feel more sympathetic towards the victims than a poison-filled ball of spite.
The You Tube channel "Blackbelt Barrister" recently posted up an interesting and knowledgeable commentary on it -
On a personal note, I'd rather scum like Jones is handed down a truly punishing sentence - one that he won't finish paying up to the end of his days - than a sum that sounds big but is, essentially, small change to the criminal. Look at the paltry fines racked up by big corporations.
As an example, I used to work for a major firm in London that contracted out their store cleaning. The firm they paid used undocumented, illegal migrants. The Immigration services regularly raided the firm and deported their employees, getting a fine for each individual. The fines they received was far less than the income they got from their contracts.

Latest! Alex is now being sued for 2.75 trillion dollars!

Jones files for bankruptcy after being found liable for $1,440,000,000 in damages to Sandy Hook families

In Texas, a court ordered Jones to pay $49million in damages.

In Connecticut, a jury awarded the families $965million in compensatory damages. The judge in the case later tacked on an additional $473million in punitive damages, bringing the total to about $1.44billion.
‘I’m officially out of money, personally,’ Jones said on the air. He pleaded for his viewers to purchase merchandise from his website’s online store to help raise funds for his legal defense.

Jones’s company, Free Speech Systems, was also found liable for damages in a separate trial and is also seeking bankruptcy protections.

‘Like every other cowardly move Alex Jones has made, this bankruptcy will not work,’ plaintiff’s attorney Chris Mattei stated. ‘The bankruptcy system does not protect anyone who engages in intentional and egregious attacks on others, as Mr. Jones did.’

Jones files for bankruptcy after being found liable for $1,440,000,000 in damages to Sandy Hook families

In Texas, a court ordered Jones to pay $49million in damages.

In Connecticut, a jury awarded the families $965million in compensatory damages. The judge in the case later tacked on an additional $473million in punitive damages, bringing the total to about $1.44billion.
Isn't this fairly standard procedure for anyone facing truly enormous fines? They file for bankruptcy, claim to have no means of paying said fines, but manage to exist on a day to day level very nicely while the courts fight to determine where any monies previously earned have gone?

Isn't this fairly standard procedure for anyone facing truly enormous fines? They file for bankruptcy, claim to have no means of paying said fines, but manage to exist on a day to day level very nicely while the courts fight to determine where any monies previously earned have gone?

Yes. It's all part of the legal waltz. As I and other's have said, Jones is never going to pay anything like the sums demanded - but he will spend the rest of his miserable life not being able to earn money in the way he has been used to.

Yes. It's all part of the legal waltz. As I and other's have said, Jones is never going to pay anything like the sums demanded - but he will spend the rest of his miserable life not being able to earn money in the way he has been used to.
I very strongly suspect he will find a way around that. Setting up companies in other people's names seems to be the way to do it. There are loads of 'bankrupt' celebrities around who still seem to be living the high life.

I very strongly suspect he will find a way around that. Setting up companies in other people's names seems to be the way to do it. There are loads of 'bankrupt' celebrities around who still seem to be living the high life.

I think you're very probably right. But it will never again be quite as easy as it was, and his card will always be marked.

Back