• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Did You Dream Of Last Night?

Last night I had a cyberpunk detective dream, in which everyone was a cyborg with lots of gearwheels and pistons and suchlike. I don't remember the plot at all, but there was one person who had no cybernetic prosthetics who stood out from everyone else. I can't even remember the detective character, just that there was one.

I found my notebook beside my bed in a different place, so I obviously dreamt something, scribbled it down, and forgot. It would have been either last night or the night before. The following is compiled from my deciphered scribbles, with a few very vague memories that came through as I read the notes:

There was a zombie apocalypse, I was escaping with some others through the multi-storey car-park attached to a shopping centre (yeah, I know, very George A. Romero), and found a kind of maintenance hatch in the basement that opened into an alternate universe, free of zombie infection. I helped people through then came through last, but remembered that I hadn't closed the hatch behind me (doh!), so went back to close it, however an infected animal got through (maybe a dog?) and started the zombie apocalypse all over again in the alternate universe. People were actually deliberately spreading the plague. The final note I have no memory of at all. I tried to help save a group of people in a hospital but "a bad person intervened".

I had strange dreams.

The first, I dreamt that I am myself and was in love with a 16 year old. He too was convinced that he loved me. I was trying to explain why it would not work, him being waaaay younger than I. I did believe that he and I cared for each other, but I knew it would not be fair to him in any way to let him think that it would be a balanced relationship.

The other was of 4 friends in their 20's. I was one, but not myself. The person who I was, was in love with a stuffed frog, which was called Freddy.

I was coming out to my 3 friends (2 guys and a girl). I was very afraid of whether or not my friendships would survive my disclosure.

It was very difficult to explain how it was that I loved this inanimate object. I did manage to show them part of what my connection felt like when a beautiful lit float (a dragon, I think) with iridescent colours showed up. The beauty of this float elicited emotional reactions in two of my friends because of the beauty of it all - the craftsmanship, the colours, the joy that people felt from seeing it.

The frog did have a sense of humour, which, of course, I understood and tried to explain to my friends so that they could appreciate it. At one point, I placed the frog's foot on one of my friends' hand to show that Freddy was happy to meet them.

To be clear, during the whole dream, it remained a stuffed frog, so nothing like a magical talking nor moving object, just a stuffed frog.

After seeing the beautiful float, two of my friends did accept that I loved the frog because they could kind of relate to the emotions they felt when seeing the float. They did not understand, but they cared about me.

The third friend, one of the guys, did not have an emotional reaction to the float and so remained aloof. I was very worried that our friendship wouldn't survive. He could not find a common reference of experience for something that remained very foreign to him.

Finally, he did express to me that he would never understand my love of the frog, but that he would support me as we were friends.

I was so happy that my friends cared enough for me that they were still good friends after my revelation.

Below the actual dream experience, I realized that I may have gained some understanding (though a very foreign concept to me) of how some people do have emotional attachments to things other than people. It was the image of the beautiful float and the emotional reaction that I had to it that kind of gave me a small understanding.

It is odd that I had two dreams involving different concepts of love.

Me: Bathroom visit, back to bed.
Techy: Scargy, you OK? I've heard you get up about four times!
Me: Nah, only the once.
Techy: Oh right, I must've been dreaming.
pause
There was a dinosaur.
Me: Goodnight.

I’d paid a visit to the south coast, and needed to get home. For some reason, l found myself stuck in Leatherhead (a place to which I’ve never been) without transport. lnitially l didn’t realise where l was, and assumed that l’d simply be able to get a Tube to London. Chatting to a couple of people disabused me of that notion.

I spoke to a girl sitting in a plunge pool who looked rather like a young Björk, but she couldn’t assist. I saw several buses arriving and waiting at a nearby location and walked over. It was beginning to grow dark, and none of the vehicles’ destination boards listed anywhere l’d heard of, much less “London.”

On approaching one bus hopefully, it proved to be an open-topped tour bus with a crew of Maoris in full costume!

l can actually account for a couple of ingredients there: The tour bus was from our recent weekend trip to the York Christmas market; the Maoris from the tattooed Kiwi off World’s Strongest Man 2023.

maximus otter

Dreamed I was served a meal which included spicy means or lentils that I sometimes buy in sachets. There may have been a vegan 'sausage' roll or two.
I was impressed by how colourful the food looked and asked whoever'd brought it where they'd had it from, shrewdly guessing that it was all from Heron where I'm planning to go today.

I was riding home on my scooter and realised I was wearing my beanie hat instead of a helmet - then noticing a police car in the traffic behind me. As everyone knows, ony plain-clothed officers are allowed to ride without a helmet, but I couldn't remember if I was one.
Plan was to slip away and park up and put a helmet on before I got spotted. Problem was there was nowhere to stop and the police car was catching up. The faster I went, the more my eyesight deteriorated - I couldn't tell on the bends if the speedo showed 50 or 70 and with the throttle fully open I could no longer see the contours of the road (or anything else). Stopped in a field before I hit something and the police car was immediately behind me. There was another biker beside me (companion ?) and the PC and WPC approached her first, asking about her medication and why she hadn't taken them. Meanwhile I was discretely checking and rechecking my top-box and under the seat but couldn't find my helmet. Then my turn, I was addressed by my first name (although I hadn't offered any ID) and just as they were about to be ask me questions I didn't have legitimate answers to ... the alarm clock went off. Phew.

I was on a trip to a large convention of some kind, travelling with friends. However, once the bus stopped, I got off and went wandering alone across a space that seemed like a university campus (the last few conventions and conferences I've been to have been held on campuses,so that might be why). For some reason I was wearing very high heels, which were making me walk in a very odd way. I tottered along thinking how proud I was that I could walk in these shoes and how I felt I looked great (?! I never, well, only very very rarely, wear high heels of any kind).
On the other side of the campus was a shop which seemed to be selling music and band merchandise; posters T shirts and the like were dotted around the tiny shop, so I went in. There were other people in there, but I didn't know any of them. I caught sight of a poster which was half rolled around itself, and I could only see the word 'Strangle.' I thought it might be a poster of the Stranglers, so I unrolled it, but it was a picture of a girl band, with a couple of men off to the left that I thought I recognised and who might have been two of the Stranglers. I walked to the front of the shop, but there was nobody serving. Then I heard a toilet flush and realised that the shopkeeper was in the toilet and might be embarrassed at not serving people, so I walked out without buying anything.

I finally really woke up at 11: 30 with a stinking headache , I thought I had been up most of the night (very windy and rainy here) making a grey velvet jacket. So convinced was I that I checked the sewing room and emptied my secret fabric stash. No sign of any velvet jacket, scraps or even fluff.

I wonder what red roses mean in dream language?
I couldn't begin to imagine...

The-Bachelor-Red-Rose-Petals_2048x.progressive.jpg

Dreamed the company I work for rang to ask me to drive a minibus instead of doing my usual shift. I can do that so I collected the vehicle, which was parked at the local bus station, and set off in it.

The rest of the dream was a quick test-drive round town during which I noticed I that was still in my pajamas.
Dunno what all that's about.

If someone could parse this, I'd be grateful.

Dreamt I had a tree growing up from behind the top corner of my bed. This alarmed me, as it seemed to be covered in spiders. Leapt out of bed and realised I had another tree growing up my back- which seemed to rooted... er... "in a delicate place". Panicked, reached over my shoulder to pull tree out of bum, and felt the roots being pulled out from where they were attached deeply inside.

Managed to pull it out, looked in a mirror, only to realise I was 1984 'Do They Mean Us?' TV presenter Derek Jameson.

Woke up alarmed to say the least.
Just now I was rereading your post on this thread while looking for something.

Before that I'd been chatting in a work WhatsApp group about who's doing which shifts this week, and I'd asked 'Do you mean me?' which brought Derek to mind.

So I was mentally repeating 'Do you mean me?' in Derek's voice when I read your post.

No trees though.

Dreamed the company I work for rang to ask me to drive a minibus instead of doing my usual shift. I can do that so I collected the vehicle, which was parked at the local bus station, and set off in it.

The rest of the dream was a quick test-drive round town during which I noticed I that was still in my pajamas.
Dunno what all that's about.
Might I say how stylish you look in pyjamas?

71WrZdpXa0L._AC_SX679_.jpg

As a new year treat, I took Mrs DT for a new year’s weakened away to an ancient inn, in rural Suffolk. I tried to book the Crown inn, in Bildeston, which is a well-known haunted pub, but they were fully booked, so we booked into a 15th Century inn a few miles away. I googled the inns name and history, and no ghostly tales were to be found, I thought okay never mind (well not every ancient inn has to have ghosts do they :).)

However, at the hotel and right outside our room, I noticed a small glass display cabinet. The cabinet was empty save for a curios looking thing sitting on the middle shelf. I opened the cabinet and took the object out and discovered it was a small set of binoculars. On looking through them I discovered they were infra-red. It was quite spooky looking up into a darkened hallway in a very old building with those infra-red glasses on. I assumed they were for guests who were caught short during the night and had to nip out to use the bathroom (no ensuite bathrooms you see).

Couple of hours later, I’m sitting at the bar chatting to the barmaid and I’m asking her about the history of the place, and jokingly asked her that as the building was so old, was it haunted..? - all I got in return was a smile and the words “no comment”.

Later that evening, we went off to do a bit of exploring on the upper floor of the pub. We came across a door in a secluded part of a corridor. It couldn’t be a bedroom as the door had no number on it, so I assumed it was a bathroom or toilet, I tried the door handle and it opened and discovered that behind the doorway a set of stairs leading up to the pub’s attic, although it didn’t look as if it ever used. There was no light switch, so I shone my mobile phone up the stairs, but couldn’t see much, so closed the door again, but from what we could see stairwell was undecorated – it must be used for storage I thought.

The next morning the barmaid who has served us the previous afternoon was serving breakfast, and I asked her about the door. Her eyes widened and she asked me to stay away from that part of the pub. I told her that I had opened the door as it was unlocked, and she looked worried. Did you go up the stairs she then asked me, no was my reply as it was too dark, and we couldn’t see a light switch anywhere. She looked relieved when I said that. I’ll tell the caretaker to lock it right now she said. Served us our food and rushed off to obviously to speak to someone about getting that door locked.

Wonder what they were hiding up there…?

In any case as the hotel was in Suffolk, it reminded me very much of the short MR James story “Rats”
I had a dream very much influenced by @Dick Turpin 's post on another thread. I was staying the night in a very, very old pub, very atmospheric. In the room was a TV, and video recorder. There was some sort of script somewhere, and guests were encouraged to act out the script and record it, am dram, and we (not sure who I was with, a small group I think) played back the videos to watch everyone else's versions of acting out the same play in the room.

There was another dream, but I remember thinking "that's very obvious, don't need to write it down", I think I might have written a one or two word prompt in my notebook - I'll check later. At the moment, I remember nothing!

There was another dream, but I remember thinking "that's very obvious, don't need to write it down", I think I might have written a one or two word prompt in my notebook - I'll check later. At the moment, I remember nothing!
I just read my scribble, "I was winetasting in Spain". Last year I did go winetasting in Spain, and I bought a very nice bottle, which I opened for new year, obviously provoking the dream, of which I only have a very vague memory, and only after reading my scribble.

Last edited:
Had a lucid dream last night. Dreamed I was wandering around my childhood home and suddenly there was a toilet right in front of me - the type and colour (why, yes, avocado it was) that we had in that house.

I stared at it for a moment, said 'Oh I get it, it's a dream!' and then started banging my head against the wall (all I could think of to do) which was soft with some 'give' in it. I didn't even try to affect my surroundings, just banged my head, so I wasn't as completely lucid as normal.

Hmmm.
I dreamed I was seriously ill - I knew that I was going to die from a heart attack soon! For some reason, I was explaining this to my (years) deceased dad. Bizarre - he was wearing a bushy beard, which I'd never seen him in EVER! I started to gasp and was trying to hide it from my other relations present ... then I woke up.
One explanation is that my ol' Jack Russel is going to die soon. He has an irreversible heart condition and won't last long. :( One of his symptoms is that he has long bouts of coughing ... sometimes in the night which usually wakes me up.

Hmmm.
I dreamed I was seriously ill - I knew that I was going to die from a heart attack soon! For some reason, I was explaining this to my (years) deceased dad. Bizarre - he was wearing a bushy beard, which I'd never seen him in EVER! I started to gasp and was trying to hide it from my other relations present ... then I woke up.
One explanation is that my ol' Jack Russel is going to die soon. He has an irreversible heart condition and won't last long. :( One of his symptoms is that he has long bouts of coughing ... sometimes in the night which usually wakes me up.
I'm sorry about your terrier, @Stormkhan.

Hmmm.
I'm sorry to hear this about the dog. They do grab your heart, don't they. :(

Brian Murphy made a charming cameo appearance in The Bill as a costumed Christmas elf.
His character was locked up for public drunkenness and when he sobered up he begged to be released because The Boss was swinging by to collect him for work.

He was eventually bailed and staggered off across a snowy car park, where his footprints stopped halfway to the gate... :thought:
Cue puzzled bobbies, theme music. :chuckle:

Here's the IMBD page on it -
When the Snow Lay Round About

And gawd bless 'im, Brian Murphy is still with us aged 91.
He's married to Hi-de-hi actress Linda Regan.
The comedy anecdotes those two can chat about must be legendary!

murphy.png

Back