• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
One thing you need to know is that you'll be turning off the fast moving A38 onto a a tiny stone bridge that looks like something out of Postman Pat just to warn you. It's tiny so use your indicator in loads of time to pull the possibly dangerous turning off safely (I had to learn to drive there). Vehicles are cranking 70 behind you up to here ..

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.742675,-1.72661,11.06h,-10.06p,1z,Lt8gJk_uJ0JVWEKNyYIiug

Then you're on Wychnor Lane. There's no shops or pubs there, the church is down the road to the left which I've just been told is going to be decommissioned due to lack of attendance. After that, it's a long straight narrow road that will eventually lead you to Wychnor Hall on the left. I expect they've got a bar or snacks or a lunch menu these days. There's not much else to see other than that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wychnor

When I was a teen living there, a much older couple loaned my Dad a historical collection they'd built on deeper bits of Wychnor's history including brief mentions to the witch naming connection (nothing 'juicy' as I remember it sadly). I asked him what he'd done with that scrapbook when we left Wychnor, I think he passed it on to a neighbour I'm still friends with so I can ask my dad if you're interested? .. he usually makes back ups, I don't know if he did with that but I know the bloke who might have the 'master copies' with any luck.

edit: I've just emailed my Dad. He knows where those records are now and hopefully we can find out more later.
That sounds right up my street , if you'll excuse the terrible pun. I don't drive so may have to get a mate to drive me as it sounds like Staffordshire's fading public transport system may not deliver me there. This and white ladies priory are definite goals this year.

MrsF's old boyfriend had that surname. He was from Shavington (near Crewe).
That's interesting. My cousin lives near Crewe . Apparently it a Shropshire based name from way back. I am related to the playwright William Wycherley whose family stole vast swathes of land and property in Shropshire and when it was eventually taken back they were very aggrieved and had become all Knights Templar-y !!

That's interesting. My cousin lives near Crewe . Apparently it a Shropshire based name from way back. I am related to the playwright William Wycherley whose family stole vast swathes of land and property in Shropshire and when it was eventually taken back they were very aggrieved and had become all Knights Templar-y !!
But my cousin's name wasn't Wycherley , he was one of my beloved uncle David's sons , his mom was my mom's sister.

But my cousin's name wasn't Wycherley , he was one of my beloved uncle David's sons , his mom was my mom's sister.
But talking of strange places , but this was quite benevolent , in Hodnet near crudgington (near Shrewsbury) was a place my friends and I called The Caves , a vast plot of then undeveloped land that had caves , forests , an obelisk ( the one I stupidly crawled round the unguarded top ledge in another post ) and it was quite magical. Once , we bounded up the stone spiral staircase ( I was young , thin and hadn't started smoking yet ) to reach the top to take in the view and on the top stair sat a forlorn youth wrapped in a cape and holding a staff. Alright, mate ? We ventured and all he said was , I'm waiting for the grand wizard to release me , so we thought it best not to interfere , really. And made our excuses and left. Probably a good thing as it no doubt prevented me from crawling round the toppermost edging outside again , of which there were two exits....the entrance back to the staircase OR a plummet of at least 80 feet through the forest trees far below to certain death . And as you will have read , my track record wasn't exactly spotless regarding trying to provoke the Grim Reaper ( even if I COULD wave relevant blue Oyster cult albums in his face ) There were rumours of Druids frequenting the place , especially the caves and occasionally you might find strange discarded rags within but it was a magical place. We all left Shropshire soon after and now they have long developed it , to attract tourists which is a shame as it was other worldly and just had an air about it , especially when the sun started to dip .... Obviously some other people went there too but it was kind of Our Secret

But talking of strange places , but this was quite benevolent , in Hodnet near crudgington (near Shrewsbury) was a place my friends and I called The Caves , a vast plot of then undeveloped land that had caves , forests , an obelisk ( the one I stupidly crawled round the unguarded top ledge in another post ) and it was quite magical. Once , we bounded up the stone spiral staircase ( I was young , thin and hadn't started smoking yet ) to reach the top to take in the view and on the top stair sat a forlorn youth wrapped in a cape and holding a staff. Alright, mate ? We ventured and all he said was , I'm waiting for the grand wizard to release me , so we thought it best not to interfere , really. And made our excuses and left. Probably a good thing as it no doubt prevented me from crawling round the toppermost edging outside again , of which there were two exits....the entrance back to the staircase OR a plummet of at least 80 feet through the forest trees far below to certain death . And as you will have read , my track record wasn't exactly spotless regarding trying to provoke the Grim Reaper ( even if I COULD wave relevant blue Oyster cult albums in his face ) There were rumours of Druids frequenting the place , especially the caves and occasionally you might find strange discarded rags within but it was a magical place. We all left Shropshire soon after and now they have long developed it , to attract tourists which is a shame as it was other worldly and just had an air about it , especially when the sun started to dip .... Obviously some other people went there too but it was kind of Our Secret
And Hodnet had / has a great pub nearby called The Bear....

HOWEVER , by far the strangest place I've ever had to be in was in the peaks. It was probably the mid 90s , maybe as early as 92 or 93 and being one of those student types with short pockets I needed a job in the holidays. Upon visiting the Job Centre , (you know when you could actually go inside and LOOK FOR JOBS and someone would help you follow up there and then) I spotted a live in bartending job in Ashbourne, Derbyshire and was told they are DESPERATE (thanks) and it would last for the two weeks holiday period at least. They phoned the place and I was accepted and urged to rush home and pack and I seem to recall somebody actually gave me a lift to Ashbourne , it was bloody miles away , the employer I think . So much later I arrive at the hotel in Ashbourne and it turns out it wasn't there ,it was even further away , a place called Hadfield. Yes. But years before it was ,ahem , FAMOUS.... So after waiting about for another two hours or more I was driven to Hadfield and delivered to this pub ,the name escapes me. I was told to put my bags in the workers sleeping quarters and come behind the bar to start. Ok. I kid you not , the sleeping quarters was LITERALLY a large old barn/stable with no lock on the door (this was on one of the streets of a small market town)and stairs that you went up to be greeted by a few beds and that was it. Despite being a tad disconcerted, I dumped my bags on a bed and went back to the pub. The owner was quite stand offish ,not demonstrably cheery at my presence apparently despite my filling some "desperate need" but took me behind the bar and showed me the basics for now. I don't recall another barperson , there was me and he was here and there and the kitchen was open. It was a Friday evening.About half 6 I think. Not particularly busy. But it was early doors as they say. I can't put my finger on it but it was just.... I dunno. Most pub or restaurant places have some kind of atmosphere , staff dynamics , people wanting to know a little about you , banter , a sense of THIS IS US THIS IS OUR LITTLE PLACE but in a good way . But this place was just flat and soulless. I served a few people I think , some locals and this young couple who came in that were obviously out of towners...I can't remember if it was before or after they came in that the owner sidled up to me and announced "You do know you're not being paid for tonight ??!! You don't start until tomorrow..." and I just kind of shrugged and accepted the brazen cheek of it all !! The out of town couple didn't stay too long and left . I was then told by the owner to have a half an hour break , it was probably about half 7 , so I told him I needed to get something out of my luggage and I went to the barn bit and I'd already decided before I reached it that I wasn't hanging around here for a moment longer. I'm no snowflake ,I'm not one of these overly sensitive types but this place was creeping me out big time. The great escape was on. I grabbed my two large bulky holdalls (to this day I am stupidly incapable of traveling light ) that mainly contained my boombox and about a million heavy metal cassettes so they weighed a bloody ton. And I hurried into the street and headed towards the main road . I even saw that couple walking around, probably headed to their car to get the hell out too and they looked at me walking to the main road laden down and they had this look of "Didn't we.....?? Didn't he ....?? Wasn't he...??!!" on their faces. I almost called out to try and beg a lift but I think their expressions kind of put me off , so I smiled and carried on to hitchhike home... Which took bloody hours but eventually I made it back for about midnight ish. Maybe before.
But anyway , years later I thought I heard that the league of gentlemen filmed there but I was a little unsure and thought I was possibly trying to fit my weird narrative into it. But turns out it was true. They filmed the bulk of it in Hadfield and I can't remember if they had strange memories of the place too but it was by far the creepiest place I've been to and I don't regret my hasty retreat one bit . Then again, I wasn't LOCAL

HOWEVER , by far the strangest place I've ever had to be in was in the peaks. It was probably the mid 90s , maybe as early as 92 or 93 and being one of those student types with short pockets I needed a job in the holidays. Upon visiting the Job Centre , (you know when you could actually go inside and LOOK FOR JOBS and someone would help you follow up there and then) I spotted a live in bartending job in Ashbourne, Derbyshire and was told they are DESPERATE (thanks) and it would last for the two weeks holiday period at least. They phoned the place and I was accepted and urged to rush home and pack and I seem to recall somebody actually gave me a lift to Ashbourne , it was bloody miles away , the employer I think . So much later I arrive at the hotel in Ashbourne and it turns out it wasn't there ,it was even further away , a place called Hadfield. Yes. But years before it was ,ahem , FAMOUS.... So after waiting about for another two hours or more I was driven to Hadfield and delivered to this pub ,the name escapes me. I was told to put my bags in the workers sleeping quarters and come behind the bar to start. Ok. I kid you not , the sleeping quarters was LITERALLY a large old barn/stable with no lock on the door (this was on one of the streets of a small market town)and stairs that you went up to be greeted by a few beds and that was it. Despite being a tad disconcerted, I dumped my bags on a bed and went back to the pub. The owner was quite stand offish ,not demonstrably cheery at my presence apparently despite my filling some "desperate need" but took me behind the bar and showed me the basics for now. I don't recall another barperson , there was me and he was here and there and the kitchen was open. It was a Friday evening.About half 6 I think. Not particularly busy. But it was early doors as they say. I can't put my finger on it but it was just.... I dunno. Most pub or restaurant places have some kind of atmosphere , staff dynamics , people wanting to know a little about you , banter , a sense of THIS IS US THIS IS OUR LITTLE PLACE but in a good way . But this place was just flat and soulless. I served a few people I think , some locals and this young couple who came in that were obviously out of towners...I can't remember if it was before or after they came in that the owner sidled up to me and announced "You do know you're not being paid for tonight ??!! You don't start until tomorrow..." and I just kind of shrugged and accepted the brazen cheek of it all !! The out of town couple didn't stay too long and left . I was then told by the owner to have a half an hour break , it was probably about half 7 , so I told him I needed to get something out of my luggage and I went to the barn bit and I'd already decided before I reached it that I wasn't hanging around here for a moment longer. I'm no snowflake ,I'm not one of these overly sensitive types but this place was creeping me out big time. The great escape was on. I grabbed my two large bulky holdalls (to this day I am stupidly incapable of traveling light ) that mainly contained my boombox and about a million heavy metal cassettes so they weighed a bloody ton. And I hurried into the street and headed towards the main road . I even saw that couple walking around, probably headed to their car to get the hell out too and they looked at me walking to the main road laden down and they had this look of "Didn't we.....?? Didn't he ....?? Wasn't he...??!!" on their faces. I almost called out to try and beg a lift but I think their expressions kind of put me off , so I smiled and carried on to hitchhike home... Which took bloody hours but eventually I made it back for about midnight ish. Maybe before.
But anyway , years later I thought I heard that the league of gentlemen filmed there but I was a little unsure and thought I was possibly trying to fit my weird narrative into it. But turns out it was true. They filmed the bulk of it in Hadfield and I can't remember if they had strange memories of the place too but it was by far the creepiest place I've been to and I don't regret my hasty retreat one bit . Then again, I wasn't LOCAL
Love it...!

Not on the same scale as your experience but I can appreciate your situation as once had to do a similar bunk from a horrible live-in restaurant manager job I had just started. The hostile local waiting staff had deliberately sabotaged a wedding reception I was in charge of and the bride, groom and family were not happy. Thankfully had a car but still had to sneak up to my room during my dinner break, pack my bags, exit down an external fire escape and then make it out of the staff car park without being rumbled before a 260 mile drive home in the early hours

Last edited:
Love it...!

Not on the same scale as your experience but I can appreciate your situation as once had to do a similar bunk from a horrible live-in restaurant manager job I had just started. The hostile local waiting staff had deliberately sabotaged a wedding reception I was in charge of and the bride, groom and family were not happy. Thankfully had a car but still had to sneak up to my room during my dinner break, pack my bags, exit down an external fire escape and then make it out of the staff car park without being rumbled before a 260 mile drive home in the early hours
Wow. What made them deliberately ruin a wedding reception?
That seems... odd.

Wow. What made them deliberately ruin a wedding reception?
That seems... odd.
I had already been there for a week or so and they had never given me a chance. There was one ringleader who was a right *** but happened to be in a relationship with the chef and played on that; It was subtle but calculated. After initially threatening to down tools because "nothing was organised" they would serve half a table and then start another, so food is going cold and guests getting annoyed. No help with topping up wine etc. The bride, groom and family were also not impressed by their grumpy and frumpy demeanours and being overheard slagging me off...!

For the record, this was relief hotel management whilst the actual restaurant manager was taking an extended holiday in his home country for family reasons and this was the last wedding of the season. They wanted me gone and were prepared to go to those lengths and the cowardly general manager wouldn't support me because he was afraid of upsetting them. What hurt was that I had been organising weddings for about two decades at that time and did know what I was doing, it was simply ridiculous but trust me it happened and I actually drove up the long lane away from the place with my headlights off, so desperate was I to avoid detection :)

Shame, as some of the other relief assignments were enjoyable and took me to places in Britain I hadn't previously visited.

Last edited:
I had already been there for a week or so and they had never given me a chance. There was one ringleader who was a right *** but happened to be in a relationship with the chef and played on that; It was subtle but calculated. After initially threatening to down tools because "nothing was organised" they would serve half a table and then start another, so food is going cold and guests getting annoyed. No help with topping up wine etc. The bride, groom and family were also not impressed by their grumpy and frumpy demeanours and being overheard slagging me off...!

For the record, this was relief hotel management whilst the actual restaurant manager was taking an extended holiday in his home country for family reasons and this was the last wedding of the season. They wanted me gone and were prepared to go to those lengths and the cowardly general manager wouldn't support me because he was afraid of upsetting them. What hurt was that I had been organising weddings for about two decades at that time and did know what I was doing, it was simply ridiculous but trust me it happened and I actually drove up the long lane away from the place with my headlights off, so desperate was I to avoid detection :)

Shame, as some of the other relief assignments were enjoyable and took me to places in Britain I hadn't previously visited.
I would have done exactly the same as you. Sometimes, you just have to walk away and let what will be simply happen.

Not exactly 'wrong feeling' or creepy, but recently went to Ostia Lido on the Mediterranean coast.
Very out of season, it was gusting high winds, and the sea was dark grey and very choppy. The town itself felt almost deserted, with the private hotel beaches all boarded up and fenced off, one or two workmen being spotted adding a lick of paint to buildings, and two childrens amusement parks we passed almost looking sinister.
We know that it was very 'out of season' but just wandering from the train station to the beach and back really felt forlorn and disused. One or two nice cafes were open, and the convenience stores of course - after all, people still live there year round.

Paul Exeter I was wondering if you got paid and were able to state your case to the right people?
Yeas, the one good thing the manager did was send me a cheque in the post (this was early-2000s). I went back to the place in 2016, it really is in a beautiful location on a river and about 45 mins from a famous University city. The elderly owner had passed away and it had changed hands and all the old staff had gone. I won't name names as many of the people involved are still alive but if anyone wants to pm I will divulge.

My next assignment came about a month later after I had placed another advert in the Caterer magazine. It was for a famous old hotel in Shropshire and I got about five months lucrative work out of that one. Despite the above experience it was a happy time in my life, I rented a small cottage in the Devon hills and my car was nearly new and so long journey up country were a pleasure (mostly). Sadly, my overheads of car + cottage were too high for the sometimes irregular work but I have fond memories of heading back down the A11/M4/M5 etc with big cheque in my pocket and some downtime in Devon, my first stop always being the Fisherman's Cott pub at Bickleigh Bridge for a pint by the river :)

Anyway, back to time-slips...

I did a quick Google, and once I got past reading about the Wycherley Murders (honestly, I'm so easily distracted...), got this:

from Wycherley Hall in Stanwardine in the Wood (Shrops) which is recorded as Wycherley in 1396. The place-name derives from an uncertain first element (perhaps a derivative of Old English wice 'wych elm') + Old English lēah 'wood woodland clearing'.
Nothing to do with 'wick' from 'vicus', given the Roman presence?

Yeas, the one good thing the manager did was send me a cheque in the post (this was early-2000s). I went back to the place in 2016, it really is in a beautiful location on a river and about 45 mins from a famous University city. The elderly owner had passed away and it had changed hands and all the old staff had gone. I won't name names as many of the people involved are still alive but if anyone wants to pm I will divulge.

My next assignment came about a month later after I had placed another advert in the Caterer magazine. It was for a famous old hotel in Shropshire and I got about five months lucrative work out of that one. Despite the above experience it was a happy time in my life, I rented a small cottage in the Devon hills and my car was nearly new and so long journey up country were a pleasure (mostly). Sadly, my overheads of car + cottage were too high for the sometimes irregular work but I have fond memories of heading back down the A11/M4/M5 etc with big cheque in my pocket and some downtime in Devon, my first stop always being the Fisherman's Cott pub at Bickleigh Bridge for a pint by the river :)

Anyway, back to time-slips...
My mum and dad used to love the Fisherman's Cott and Bickleigh Mill - they spent many a happy weekend driving out there for something to eat and a general nice drive out along the lanes.

My mum and dad used to love the Fisherman's Cott and Bickleigh Mill - they spent many a happy weekend driving out there for something to eat and a general nice drive out along the lanes.
I lived in the tiny village (hamlet almost) of Poughill:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poughill,_Devon

Poughill lies 600ft above sea level, you drive up the steep hill above the castle from Bickleigh and then a right turn at Cadbury and past Cheriton Fitzpaine and beyond. Fantastic views around there, and a nice view of Dartmoor from my bathroom window. Nearest pub was a scenic two mile walk to the historic 16th century Cruwys Arms pub at Cruwys Morchard

Places of Fortean interest:

THE CADBURY DRAGON

An ancient legend says that a dragon guards a treasure on Cadbury Hill. The Cadbury Dragon is said to fly between Cadbury and Dolbury Hill at Killerton. It also is said to defend the Fursdon family of nearby Fursdon House, and protect the family in times of need.

https://www.britainexpress.com/counties/devon/ancient/cadbury.htm

"Sir Alexander's ghost in full armour, head under his arm, is said to ride a charger across Bickleigh Bridge at midnight once a year on mid-summer's day" (the usual "date unknown""

https://www.devonperspectives.co.uk/bickleigh.html

There was also a local legend concerning the historic 13th century church tower at Cruwys Morchard time-slipping in-and-out of existence:

"Those ghost houses are particular favourite of mine and there are some decent cases out there with reputable witnesses. We had a variant of this close to where I was growing up and involving a church set back some distance and amongst trees from the winding main road to Tiverton. The local legend was that sometimes you could see the church as you approached from the Tiverton direction and sometimes you couldn't. Given the church was defiantly solid and in our time. it would seem something else - a tree? - was appearing and disappearing in front of it. I witnessed this myself whilst driving but was never 100% sure it just wasn't a trick of the light and surroundings."

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/time-or-dimensional-slips.13755/page-84#post-2283978

Pretty sure the Cruwys Arms was reputedly haunted. too.

Not exactly 'wrong feeling' or creepy, but recently went to Ostia Lido on the Mediterranean coast.
Very out of season, it was gusting high winds, and the sea was dark grey and very choppy. The town itself felt almost deserted, with the private hotel beaches all boarded up and fenced off, one or two workmen being spotted adding a lick of paint to buildings, and two childrens amusement parks we passed almost looking sinister.
We know that it was very 'out of season' but just wandering from the train station to the beach and back really felt forlorn and disused. One or two nice cafes were open, and the convenience stores of course - after all, people still live there year round.
I have had melancholic feelings when in countries in winter (that are very hot in summer) even though it's still pleasantly warm for me (certainly in the daytime) and that are less crowded ie more enjoyable. Or should be.

It could just be a reflection of the locals behaviour/demeanour I suppose - ie any drop below 20c makes them miserable - but there is definitely a depressing atmosphere.

In the early 80s we were students then unemployed for ages so had no money but were time-rich. Couldn't afford an actual holiday so we decided to take our bikes and roam The Malverns and surrounding for a while, with just our push bikes and a small tent - as it was a local train ride up to Malvern from where we lived and we had free local trains and buses using a pass we had. We'd ask farmers if we could camp in a field for the night, and usually managed to get somewhere free to pitch a tent.

One night we found ourselves in Much Marcle. I'm from up North so had never heard of it (or any of the places we had cycled to, apart from Great Malvern). I had no expectations and we'd done this free farmer camping thing before so I wasn't feeling particularly nervous or creeped out by camping in some total stranger's field in the middle of nowhere. This may have been any time between 1982-4, I'm not sure.

Of all the places we ever went - and we cycled and camped everywhere as well as did re-enactments so had travelled all over the UK even by that stage, and camped many weird places - that was (almost) the weirdest. (Sedgefield, Co. Durham was weird as owt, as well but at least we were there with a huge group of mates so not so spooky).

Remember we went in a pub and the creepy atmosphere was palpable. Hostile as well, in a way I only remember ever experiencing again and around the same time, in Sedgefield. People just staring at us "strangers". I started to feel scared because we were literally in a field and nobody back home knew precisely where we were. If we'd disappeared, nobody would even have known where we were to go look for us, just "somewhere in the Malverns". And any of these creepy people staring us out all evening (or for as long as we could stand it) could have easily followed us out when we left that awful pub and seen where we were camping.

We lived to tell the tale and moved on quickly the next day. Never to return.

A decade later, Fred West was arrested - and although at the time we'd been there he wasn't in Much Marcle any more, he'd been born there and I've since read he is thought to have returned to the countryside and buried bodies in fields round there long after he moved away. Only two of which were recovered. I could look up those fields but have no memory of the name of the farm where we camped, after all this time, and even seeing it again wouldn't ring any bells. Nor do I have any memory of where our tent was, whether it was near a farm/barn/stackyard or not as we travelled round and camped randomly quite a lot, at that time. The only specific I remember is what I was reading (one of my uni set texts) when we were camped there but no details of the actual place.

I lived in the tiny village (hamlet almost) of Poughill:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poughill,_Devon

Poughill lies 600ft above sea level, you drive up the steep hill above the castle from Bickleigh and then a right turn at Cadbury and past Cheriton Fitzpaine and beyond. Fantastic views around there, and a nice view of Dartmoor from my bathroom window. Nearest pub was a scenic two mile walk to the historic 16th century Cruwys Arms pub at Cruwys Morchard

Places of Fortean interest:

THE CADBURY DRAGON

An ancient legend says that a dragon guards a treasure on Cadbury Hill. The Cadbury Dragon is said to fly between Cadbury and Dolbury Hill at Killerton. It also is said to defend the Fursdon family of nearby Fursdon House, and protect the family in times of need.

https://www.britainexpress.com/counties/devon/ancient/cadbury.htm

"Sir Alexander's ghost in full armour, head under his arm, is said to ride a charger across Bickleigh Bridge at midnight once a year on mid-summer's day" (the usual "date unknown""

https://www.devonperspectives.co.uk/bickleigh.html

There was also a local legend concerning the historic 13th century church tower at Cruwys Morchard time-slipping in-and-out of existence:

"Those ghost houses are particular favourite of mine and there are some decent cases out there with reputable witnesses. We had a variant of this close to where I was growing up and involving a church set back some distance and amongst trees from the winding main road to Tiverton. The local legend was that sometimes you could see the church as you approached from the Tiverton direction and sometimes you couldn't. Given the church was defiantly solid and in our time. it would seem something else - a tree? - was appearing and disappearing in front of it. I witnessed this myself whilst driving but was never 100% sure it just wasn't a trick of the light and surroundings."

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/time-or-dimensional-slips.13755/page-84#post-2283978

Pretty sure the Cruwys Arms was reputedly haunted. too.
I'm sure Killerton House is haunted. We used to spend a lot of time in Killerton Gardens (and my dad's ashes are spread in the orchard there). Haven't been back there for years - next time I'm down I must go for another nose around. I think there's a Bronze Age site on the hill in the gardens?

Went for a walk on Saturday and ended up in the (fantastically named) Norton-juxta-Twycross.

It's just down the road from me so I don't find it creepy as such, but it's one of those villages where you never seem to see anybody out and about - no joggers, dog walkers or weekend gardeners. I don't think the feel of the place is much helped by an enormous church which seems to dominate half the village.

On a hike at the very end of last December, I was walking from Olney to Northampton on a blustery day. This walk took me through Piddington, Northamptonshire, on a Saturday afternoon. It was deserted. The place had a weird atmosphere. As I walked into the village, a vagrant or a drunk shuffled past, opening the wheelie bins looking for food or booze, probably booze. Walking down the high street a tuneful whistle seemed to echo everywhere, quite eerie. I never saw the whistler but assumed there was a workman out of sight somewhere. It seemed to follow me through the village and finally faded as I headed towards the churchyard. Piddington was the first village I hiked through after crossing into Northants, and it seemed an unfriendly place.

On a hike at the very end of last December, I was walking from Olney to Northampton on a blustery day. This walk took me through Piddington, Northamptonshire, on a Saturday afternoon. It was deserted. The place had a weird atmosphere. As I walked into the village, a vagrant or a drunk shuffled past, opening the wheelie bins looking for food or booze, probably booze. Walking down the high street a tuneful whistle seemed to echo everywhere, quite eerie. I never saw the whistler but assumed there was a workman out of sight somewhere. It seemed to follow me through the village and finally faded as I headed towards the churchyard. Piddington was the first village I hiked through after crossing into Northants, and it seemed an unfriendly place.
Saw this in a window. I can't quite make out what it fully says, but it seems ominous!;
pd.png

Love it...!

Actually that sounds very familiar, if not worse !! Glad you got away too !

Back