• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Feel Wrong

I had an odd encounter a few weeks ago with a couple of people which highly unnerved me. I was sat reading in a coffee shop when 2 people asked if they could take the seats opposite me. One was a man in his 50s, the other an older teenager - maybe about 16? I said they could of course and continued reading. The older man asked me if I was famous as I looked familiar (I'm certainly not!). I said I wasn't, and he kind if shrugged and said he was sure he'd seen me about. I resumed reading but the older man wasn't having it and kept asking if I knew certain nearby towns where he lived. The son just continued playibg sone kibd of handheld console. Eventually resigning myself to some kind of unwanted but hopefully quick conveesation, the man started telling me about his life, how he had come from Bulgaria in the 90s and lived here ever since. There was a vaguely racist sexist undertone too his comments about people passing by outside.
It was about at this point that some kind of warning signal got triggered in me. Im not usually one to get gut instincts about people but this time it was overwhelingly strong.
The older man introducedme to the teenager and said he was his son, and said that he was a genius with numbers and that if I gave him a date from the last 2000 years he could tell me what day of the week it was in seconds. He asked for my birthday and I immexiately got the feeling it was a bad idea to do so. I gave him a random date, and the son shut his eyes, gave me a day of the week. I looked it andsure sure enough he ways write. He asked for another date. I gadate date in the 1300d. The son closed his eyes, gave aday of the week. I looked its up and he was right again.
Eventually they left andI havenever felt so relieved. The son seemed possibly neurodivergent and seemednice enoug butI didnt like the older man at all. There seemed something... aggressive about him.
Both were dressed slightly oddly - baseball caps, bright colours -like the cliche of an American tourist. 'Bright' is the right word somehow - they bothsermed too 'bright' - like caryoon characters from a dream - and entirely unconvincing, like people pretending to be human and somehow getting it wrong. The whole feeling I had after the encounter was as ifIhad just met some slightly malevolent trickster spirits or something. I keep being reminded of that bit in one of the Castaneda books where he meets some people asking for help unexpectedly that Don Juan(probably getting all the namesand details wrong but its been decafes since I read it). Never seen them since. For sych a brief encounter I've never had warning signals go offso strongly before.
Maybe they were just friendly but slightly odd strangers who wanted a coffee.. but that feelingof wrongness is always best to pay attention to.
Possibly scammers, especially asking for your birthdate. Identity fraudsters look for personal info.

I had an odd encounter a few weeks ago with a couple of people which highly unnerved me. I was sat reading in a coffee shop when 2 people asked if they could take the seats opposite me. One was a man in his 50s, the other an older teenager - maybe about 16? I said they could of course and continued reading. The older man asked me if I was famous as I looked familiar (I'm certainly not!). I said I wasn't, and he kind if shrugged and said he was sure he'd seen me about. I resumed reading but the older man wasn't having it and kept asking if I knew certain nearby towns where he lived. The son just continued playibg sone kibd of handheld console. Eventually resigning myself to some kind of unwanted but hopefully quick conveesation, the man started telling me about his life, how he had come from Bulgaria in the 90s and lived here ever since. There was a vaguely racist sexist undertone too his comments about people passing by outside.
It was about at this point that some kind of warning signal got triggered in me. Im not usually one to get gut instincts about people but this time it was overwhelingly strong.
The older man introducedme to the teenager and said he was his son, and said that he was a genius with numbers and that if I gave him a date from the last 2000 years he could tell me what day of the week it was in seconds. He asked for my birthday and I immexiately got the feeling it was a bad idea to do so. I gave him a random date, and the son shut his eyes, gave me a day of the week. I looked it andsure sure enough he ways write. He asked for another date. I gadate date in the 1300d. The son closed his eyes, gave aday of the week. I looked its up and he was right again.
Eventually they left andI havenever felt so relieved. The son seemed possibly neurodivergent and seemednice enoug butI didnt like the older man at all. There seemed something... aggressive about him.
Both were dressed slightly oddly - baseball caps, bright colours -like the cliche of an American tourist. 'Bright' is the right word somehow - they bothsermed too 'bright' - like caryoon characters from a dream - and entirely unconvincing, like people pretending to be human and somehow getting it wrong. The whole feeling I had after the encounter was as ifIhad just met some slightly malevolent trickster spirits or something. I keep being reminded of that bit in one of the Castaneda books where he meets some people asking for help unexpectedly that Don Juan(probably getting all the namesand details wrong but its been decafes since I read it). Never seen them since. For sych a brief encounter I've never had warning signals go offso strongly before.
Maybe they were just friendly but slightly odd strangers who wanted a coffee.. but that feelingof wrongness is always best to pay attention to.
As humans we are programmed to react and be social. It can take some willpower to overcome that conditioning!

The son was higher end of the spectrum autistic I'll bet. I used to care for an autistic boy who could to the exact same thing with dates .. ask him any past date and he'd be able to tell you what day of the week it was. This was just before the internet was easily available so me and his teacher had a reference book to check his accuracy. He was always right.

The son was higher end of the spectrum autistic I'll bet. I used to care for an autistic boy who could to the exact same thing with dates .. ask him any past date and he'd be able to tell you what day of the week it was. This was just before the internet was easily available so me and his teacher had a reference book to check his accuracy. He was always right.
It was pretty damn impressive and literally only took seconds. I cant imagine what it would be like to have that kind if relationship to numbers and time.

My first paying job was in a huge institution where people with various learning difficulties were housed. There I met men like the one you describe.
The trick is to ask them for the date of a British local or general election because it's always a Thursday. They don't know why you chose that date of course. :cool:

I used to look up Election dates and take a list along to work. My savants were always right.
Some would also calculate the exact time elapsed between two events or how many minutes you'll have lived on your next birthday.
Astounding really.

I've got a woman trying to harass me occasionally in the building I live in. I'm not the only bloke she's full on with either.
She sounds like a very troubled individual who avoids taking responsibility for dealing with her psychological issues by bullying other people and acting out on them.
Very poor boundaries. I recommend you get a deadbolt for your door. Easier than moving the solid wood bedside cabinet all the time!

I suspect that the father may also have been on the spectrum. The odd questions and strange dialogue remind me very much of some people on the spectrum trying to make conversation without really understanding what is appropriate to ask and when someone else is giving you 'fuck off' vibes.
She sounds like a very troubled individual who avoids taking responsibility for dealing with her psychological issues by bullying other people and acting out on them.
Very poor boundaries. I recommend you get a deadbolt for your door. Easier than moving the solid wood bedside cabinet all the time!
And I suspect that this is a woman with extremely low self esteem who gets her self confidence from knowing that she could have any man at any time and how many men she has 'had'.

I used to work with a guy, around 1992-93. He was probably early twenties, same as me and most of my co-workers. Typically there was lots of banter and piss taking but they were a friendly and basically kind bunch of guys. Once this chap, who was named Paul, I recall, had been there a few weeks the banter started to be aimed at him, in a good natured and inclusive way. However this was all met with a non plussed expression, as if he didn’t know what any of it meant.
Physically he was small and slight, and he had a blank look in his eyes if you spoke to him. He didn’t converse much but he seemed to have a slightly superior air about him, as if he was intellectually far superior. He had no knowledge of any popular culture whatsoever. Being a bunch of young-ish lads the chat was full of references to music, TV, football. Paul seemed confused and completely unaware of anything we talked about. The term ‘living under a rock’ used to spring to mind as he really didn’t seem to have a clue about anything that was happening in the world.
One day, and what freaked me out, was when I was paired up with him for a work task and he started talking about the town where we lived. But he was talking about shops that had closed many years before as if they were still trading. He said he’d been to school at the old school house that hadn’t actually functioned as a school for around eighty years at that point. And then one day he didn’t come back. It may all have just been a giant elaborate piss take on his part, but there was something that didn’t feel right about Paul.

I used to work with a guy, around 1992-93. He was probably early twenties, same as me and most of my co-workers. Typically there was lots of banter and piss taking but they were a friendly and basically kind bunch of guys. Once this chap, who was named Paul, I recall, had been there a few weeks the banter started to be aimed at him, in a good natured and inclusive way. However this was all met with a non plussed expression, as if he didn’t know what any of it meant.
Physically he was small and slight, and he had a blank look in his eyes if you spoke to him. He didn’t converse much but he seemed to have a slightly superior air about him, as if he was intellectually far superior. He had no knowledge of any popular culture whatsoever. Being a bunch of young-ish lads the chat was full of references to music, TV, football. Paul seemed confused and completely unaware of anything we talked about. The term ‘living under a rock’ used to spring to mind as he really didn’t seem to have a clue about anything that was happening in the world.
One day, and what freaked me out, was when I was paired up with him for a work task and he started talking about the town where we lived. But he was talking about shops that had closed many years before as if they were still trading. He said he’d been to school at the old school house that hadn’t actually functioned as a school for around eighty years at that point. And then one day he didn’t come back. It may all have just been a giant elaborate piss take on his part, but there was something that didn’t feel right about Paul.
Whoooa! He may have been autistic or brought up by much older than average parents, getting their lives confused with his through some mental disability. Makes me think of the beginning of a great short spooky story.

He was obviously coming to work from the past through a wormhole (good idea to work in the future - higher wages), I reckon he must have taken the wrong wormhole one day and got eaten by a dinosaur.

Whoooa! He may have been autistic or brought up by much older than average parents, getting their lives confused with his through some mental disability. Makes me think of the beginning of a great short spooky story.
He was obviously coming to work from the past through a wormhole (good idea to work in the future - higher wages), I reckon he must have taken the wrong wormhole one day and got eaten by a dinosaur
He was obviously coming to work from the past through a wormhole (good idea to work in the future - higher wages), I reckon he must have taken the wrong wormhole one day and got eaten by a dinosaur.
Yep probably something like that.

This woman has been suspended for, among other irritations, openly threatening to kill a colleague. :omg:
The police are involved.

Curiously, she's never bothered me much. I'd get the start of a boring monologue, break wind and wander off to do my next job.
You never know who you are working with. 40 years ago I worked with a 20 something in a small office. He was very friendly and approachable, but proved to be dodgy as anything (nothing really terrible) and didn't last long. He went on to write some very well regarded works on historical events, which he had expressed absolutely no interest in when I knew him. Sadly died in his 50's and there were apparently hundreds at his wake. I would have guessed when I knew him that he would have come to a sticky end and not a celebrated author in his field.

You never know who you are working with. 40 years ago I worked with a 20 something in a small office. He was very friendly and approachable, but proved to be dodgy as anything (nothing really terrible) and didn't last long. He went on to write some very well regarded works on historical events, which he had expressed absolutely no interest in when I knew him. Sadly died in his 50's and there were apparently hundreds at his wake. I would have guessed when I knew him that he would have come to a sticky end and not a celebrated author in his field.
Dad used to work with this guy and he was always a womaniser and generally not very reliable. Saw him in the papers the other week for pedo offences!

Reminds me of a person who didn't feel at all wrong.

One of my favourite ever kids I taught. Would be in his early 30s now. He was fiercely intelligent but I taught him in a really disadvantaged (OK, dog rough) school and his mum was a bit of a crim.

For some reason, he formed a bond with me - think maybe because I found ways to make him behave that none of my predecessors (or apparently, those who taught him after me) did. He was loud and cheeky but good natured and I was always telling him that with his brains he could do anything in life, one day. My colleagues were cynical about this and said he'd end up a master criminal.

Out of curiosity one day I put his name into Google - wondering if he'd distinguished himself in any way, in adult life. He was up there as one of the most intelligent kids I ever taught. Bound to be a surgeon or a journalist or something, with that fierce intelligence. I wanted to feel my old job hadn't been an utter waste of time and of all the kids I taught, surely he'd have done something to distinguish himself.

Turned out he was all over the papers - had been done for armed robbery. But got a slightly lighter sentence than his colleagues - for being polite to the person emptying the till. I felt a weird pride in him.

He totally never felt wrong to me. Although he did to everyone else.

Last edited:
Reminds me of a person who didn't feel at all wrong.

One of my favourite ever kids I taught. Would be in his early 30s now. He was fiercely intelligent but I taught him in a really disadvantaged (OK, dog rough) school and his mum was a bit of a crim.

For some reason, he formed a bond with me - think maybe because I found ways to make him behave that none of my predecessors (or apparently, those who taught him after me) did. He was loud and cheeky but good natured and I was always telling him that with his brains he could do anything in life, one day. My colleagues were cynical about this and said he'd end up a master criminal.

Out of curiosity one day I put his name into Google - wondering if he'd distinguished himself in any way, in adult life. He was up there as one of the most intelligent kids I ever taught. Bound to be a surgeon or a journalist or something, with that fierce intelligence. I wanted to feel my old job hadn't been an utter waste of time and of all the kids I taught, surely he'd have done something to distinguish himself.

Turned out he was all over the papers - had been done for armed robbery. But got a slightly lighter sentence than his colleagues - for being polite to the person emptying the till. I felt a weird pride in him.

Such a waste really, but possibly not unexpected given his background. I know a couple who teach in a special school and some of the pupils are very intelligent despite their other significant challenges. Some of these parents don't give a toss about their kids and it becomes apparent that they will achieve very little in their lives despite the attention they receive at the school and even go down the route of your former pupil. So sad really.

I don't think he was "wrong", he just never really stood much chance. You did all you could to encourage him but if no-one else did then his chances wouldn't have been great. I am sure he still remembers that one teacher who was good to him in school.

In the reverse, there was a boy at my school who was an inveterate bully. He wasn't physically tough but he was good at manipulation and spiteful practical jokes - such as sprinkling washing powder into your washed hair so that it took ages to get out and so on. He made the last two years of school hell for me.
When I went to a school reunion, I discovered that he was now a yoga and meditation teacher.
Two of the worst bullies in my year at school, already dead as is the class bully's "henchman" from my high school form. First I knew about one of them was seeing his gravestone as I walked the dog in my old village. Coincidentally, some time later I saw what I'd guess were his wife and grown up daughter putting flowers there (I didn't recognise the wife as anyone I'd been at school with, but you never know...) And I was so tempted to go up to her and say I'd been at school with her husband. But I thought better of it and just kept on with my mutt walking as she'd have reacted in a way that probably would have prompted me to say more and there was nothing I could say apart from the fact he was one of the worst bullies in the year above me. I managed to avoid him for my entire time at primary and secondary school but others were less lucky. So odd to see people mourning over a person you only ever knew as a shit.

I tried to tell myself, we were only kids and maybe he grew into an amazing adult. But it's hard to feel convinced that that leopard would change its spots.

I only speak to one person I was at high school with, on FB. He was my friend at school but we kept it low key as in those days boys weren't meant to be friends with girls. And he is the one who still is in contact with everyone else and passes intel on to me.

The lad who was in himself not so bad but acted like a henchman to our class bully - worst bully in my very large year intake, for context - my friend told me he became a copper. He died in his thirties, apparently, of cancer. And the girl who was the worst female bully, she died a couple years back - my mate was at the funeral. When he told me I said I can't lie, I was mercilessly bullied by her for over a year (friend had no memory of this but that first year at school we weren't yet mates). Then one day, I overheard her saying to her henchwoman she was stopping bullying me because she'd found out my mother was dead. She was nothing but nice to me for the remaining years at high school but I never trusted or liked her. I went to FB stalk her to see what sort of an adult she'd turned into. She was my polar opposite, in every way, and I wasn't surprised.

Almost no-one I knew at high school "felt right" now I think of it lol - teachers or kids - but now I'm older and wiser wonder if that's not my undiagnosed autistic tendencies that are to blame for me thinking everyone around me (apart from this friend and one or two others) were dicks. So I don't trust my judgement about people, FWIW. Pal is also startled when we chat how unhappy I was, and how much I disliked everyone as he remembers school with fondness whereas I still have nightmares and sometimes it's like we weren't even in the same room as eachother for 5 years! My perception is so wildly different, it makes me distrust my ability to read people.

Probably for the best I didn't speak to the women laying flowers at the grave of the bully from the year above, though because I tend to say what I think, and couldn't have varnished it, that he was a nightmare who everyone avoided/loathed.

ETA: FB tells me the worst bully in my year at school is now a company director...

Last edited:
There's an older woman who's started working in our local shop who gives me the hebegebees (or however that's spelled). Maybe she's just nervous because she's new to her team but she's got this weird fixed smile that never moves and her eyes dart around too much for my liking. It's hard to explain and she's done nothing wrong, she just creeps me out on a gut instinct level and I can't put my finger on exactly why. Perhaps she's just got problems going on in her own life?. She's probably dead nice but I can't wait to get out of the shop after she's served me. I get a ticking time bomb vibe off of her. She's spooky in the same way that actress was in The Haunting was who said "Nobody comes here .. in the dark .. in the night." Exactly like this except she's blonde instead ..

Saw a woman on the tube yesterday, she was young, I'd guess early thirties. She had the hood of a hoodie pulled up, long- presumably fake eyelashes and so much make up- seemingly very thick foundation plus eyeliner etc that when I sat down and momentarily "clocked" her face I honest saw it as the face of a mannequin. I did a double take, same effect, then she blinked and the illusion was shattered. It was very unnerving, I did another "quick peak" a minute or two later and had the same illusion for a split second until she blinked or moved her face in some way.

She was sat opposite and diagonal by a few seats and I think she was aware of me looking the second time and I didn't want to be rude or make her feel uncomfortable, so didn't look again. She was otherwise "normal", she may have had unusual facial features too or it might simply have been a product of the make up - which certainly gave her skin and unnatural looking shade and it seemed oddly "smooth" as well. I've seen women with large amounts of foundation and sometimes it looks "lumpy" like it is unevenly distributed, not the case here at all. She looked likely to have been Eastern European going on facial features but it was hard to tell.

I served a bloke yesterday who really gave me the creeps. It hasn't happened to me before. He was with a gentleman with learning difficulties and I assume that he was working.

There was nothing particularly odd about him, but he communicated as little as he had to and his face never changed expression. He never smiled. I feel that when dealing with someone you look for confirmation or a reaction that your interactions are on the right track. Strangely though, I got a sense of menace from him.

I served a bloke yesterday who really gave me the creeps. It hasn't happened to me before. He was with a gentleman with learning difficulties and I assume that he was working.

There was nothing particularly odd about him, but he communicated as little as he had to and his face never changed expression. He never smiled. I feel that when dealing with someone you look for confirmation or a reaction that your interactions are on the right track. Strangely though, I got a sense of menace from him.
I get that.

Thankfully it is very rare and has only happened a few times in my life. However, when it happens it is very real - you want to create much distance between you and them.

The opposite is also the case. On a handful of occasions I've experienced a huge sense of goodness radiating from a person - enough to produce a deep emotional response.

He might have just been on medication, I don't know but 'flat' emotional interaction can happen because of that.

This morning I was repotting a few plants and waiting for the gardener to arrive.
A car pulled up 2 doors down and a girl got out and started throwing things on the nature strip, opened the boot and threw some more.
A rather burly looking chap got out and started throwing things back in and they got gradually louder.
He suddenly noticed me standing there and asked if I was all right.
I told him I was fine and waiting for the gardener. He got back in the car and they drove off.
That house sometimes rents out rooms and I thought maybe he was moving in at first. I just thought it was a bit odd and glad he didn't come over.

Back