• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Rosslyn Chapel

KeyserXSoze

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Rosslyn Chapel: Say Your Prayers

Story is here.

The Rosslyn Chapel, founded around 1446 just outside Edinburgh, said pn Monday it set up the "e-prayer" service for worshippers to leave prayer requests.

"The idea was inspired by some churches who do this in the United States, but we believe we are the first in Scotland to jump into the Internet age in this way," said a spokesman for the Scottish Episcopal Church.

"The response has already been very good...We believe its impersonality can be a strength because people can make prayer requests anonymously from their own home," he said.

After the prayers are received they are printed off and offered to God in the chapel by a member of the congregation.

Any word on the search / X Ray of Rossalyn Chapel??

I read the story of the Templars giving the OK to X Ray / search the church. Does anyone know any new info on this??

Not bad for an organisation disbanded in the early fourteenth century.

Well met James......the reach of the Templars surely does streach far.

Well, it is the proclaimed Knights Templars themselves who are to conduct the survey. Any templarologists on this board will shudder at the thought of a phony organisation digging up our treasure. Its as much ours as it is theirs.

second problem is....they are only conducting this techno survey outside the grounds of the chapel. It seems that they are still not allowed to survey the interior. Anyone can make a non-invasive survey outside the chapel. They will not be able to use the equipment to detect what is below and then swing it to the side to see what is underneath the Chapel.

Which is Ironic because...........

(Annoyingly continued on the Knights Templar Thread..hehehe:D )

Rosslyn Visit

Photos from my recent trip to Rosslyn Chapel...

http://taras.gp32.org/show.php?rosslyn

I don't know much about templars/masons so the commentary is shaky to say the least, maybe someone here who knows about that kind of thing could comment? (Pity St Clair's gone, actually!)

Bump! Three Rosslyn threads merged.

(It has also been discussed on various other threads.)

Nice set of photo's Taras, I'm afraid a lot of my last set came out too dark :( Is all the scaffolding still there surrounding the roof etc?

Still got some incredible photo's myself :) I especially like a lot of the symbols in there which is very incongrous to christian beliefs,

Kudos Taras!

Excellent pictures and a nice resource to have for those of us not yet lucky enough!

LD

Good set of photos, Taras

I was there at Easter, but didn't get any exterior photos as it was tipping down with rain.

I like the fallen angel,
Got one of the green men too:

I visited Rosslyn Chapel, or, rather, St Andrew's Episcopelean Church, a few weeks ago. The curators of the chapel certainly embrace the Henry Lincolnesque/Graham Hancock allure of the place, but most incongruously of all is the stations-of-the-cross style arrangement of photographs various visits to the chapel

Rosslyn was one of the places I visited post UnCon last year. I'm not a Templar afficiando or a DaVinci Code reader, but I was impressed nevertheless. Very odd place. Very cool. Hope their renovations (?) get done eventually, be nice to visit again someday without all the scaffolding.

Ah, but when the scaffolding's gone you won't be able to see the roof :)

Ah, I believe the Scotsman also did those on a free DVD last week, but I missed it. Bit annoyed about that now.

Team cracks chapel's music 'code'

A father and son team from Edinburgh think they have found a secret piece of music hidden in carvings at a famous medieval chapel in Midlothian.
Stuart Mitchell, 41 and his father Tommy, 75, said they had deciphered a musical code locked in the stones of Rosslyn Chapel for more than 500 years.

They will perform the music in May at a concert in the 15th Century chapel.

Visitor numbers to the chapel have increased rapidly since it featured in Dan Brown's novel The Da Vinci Code.

Stuart Mitchell discovered a series of figures which he calls an "orchestra of angels" at the base of eleaborate arches round the altar, each angel holding a musical instrument.

He worked with his father to decipher the patterns on cubes which jut out from the arches.

Tommy Mitchell said the markings concealed a tune which they were determined to crack.

He said: "We were convinced from the position at the top of the pillar's of the angels and they are all directly under the arches where the cubes occur that there was music there.

"We got clues from other books as well. Over the years this became more of an obsession than anything else and we decided we had to find out what was going on."

"If these patterns and cubes had not contained music anything we turned up would have been purely random and would not have sounded hauntily beautiful."

Stuart Mitchell said the tunes could have been hidden because knowledge of harmonics may have been seen as dangerous, even heretical, by 15th Century church authorities.

He said: "What we have here is a recorded piece of music, it is almost like a compact disc from the 15th Century."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edi ... 605767.stm
I predict that when the music is played in the chapel, a resonance will be set up that tears the fabric of space-time. The chapel and surrounding countryside, including half of Edinburgh, will instantaneously be transported to Mars..... :D

I've just heard an item about this on R4's Today. Sounds outrageously convincing. :D

rynner said:
I predict that when the music is played in the chapel, a resonance will be set up that tears the fabric of space-time. The chapel and surrounding countryside, including half of Edinburgh, will instantaneously be transported to Mars..... :D
No, no. I have a strange sense of deja vu, a premonition that a gigantic, dæmon-like, space alien, with a vast, though spatially warped, flying saucer hidden underneath a nearby burial mound, will be awakened, to signal for the return of his waiting space fleet, to claim the Earth and its inhabitants, for their own.

:shock:

Yep the music was recorded in Rosslyn last July

and the cd was available shortly after

Gordon

Rosslyn Chapel discovery is causing a buzz
Melanie Reid

The ancient Rosslyn Chapel, beloved as the key to mysteries surrounding The Da Vinci Code, the Holy Grail and the Knights Templar, has thrown up another unfathomable puzzle: what lies behind the secret of the bees?

Builders renovating the 600-year-old chapel have discovered two beehives carved within the stonework high on the pinnacles of the roof. They are thought to be the first man-made stone hives ever found.

It appears the hives were carved into the roof when the chapel was built, with the entrance for the bees formed, appropriately, through the centre of an intricately carved stone flower. The hives were found when builders were dismantling and rebuilding the pinnacles for the first time in centuries.

Malcolm Mitchell, from Page Park, the architects on the £7 million restoration, said it appeared the chapel had been a haven for the insects as long ago as the 15th century.

“From the research that we have done, this is a unique situation in Europe. We haven’t found any precedent of this type of hive before. We were quite taken aback. It’s very unusual.

“In Scotland, hives are so often made of baskets which can be lifted and moved around. It was particularly a surprise because the hives themselves are the ideal size for bees to inhabit — hollowed out to the size of a gas cylinder — but they were constructed purely as a haven for the bees. They weren’t built to harvest honey,” he added.

“It was just out of kindness and respect to the sacredness of these insects. Reverence to bees insects goes back historically to Egyptian times.”

Although human beings have collected honey from wild bee colonies since time immemorial, at some point they began to domesticate wild bees in artificial hives, made from hollow logs, pottery, or woven straw baskets. The Egyptians kept bees in cylindrical hives, and pictures in temples show workers blowing smoke into the hives, and removing honeycombs. Sealed pots of honey were found in Tutankhamun’s tomb.

Bronze Age hives made of straw and unbaked clay have been dug up near Jerusalem. They were found in orderly rows, three high, each one accommodating around 100 hives. The Greeks also developed bee-keeping as an art, and celebrated it on gold rings and ornaments.

Honeycombs were found abandoned inside the hive in the north pinnacle, but, equally strangely, the hive on the south pinnacle did not have an entry hole for bees and therefore had not been occupied.

Mr Mitchell said: “It’s just another of Rosslyn’s mysteries. The north pinnacle was full of honeycombs which had been abandoned for some considerable years. The honey had all dried up.”

The experts believe the interior of the hives were lined with a coating to prevent the wild bees from gnawing away at the stonework.

Allan Gilmour, from Hunter & Clark stonemasons, the main contractors on the chapel, said: “I’ve never heard of man-made stone beehives. What I have seen is bees creating hives in stone. When we restored the Irvine Town House we found that bees had burrowed into the sandstone and created honeycombs. They had weakened the stone.

“Maybe at Rosslyn the monks had the same problem in the past and created the hive as a sanctuary.”

There is anecdotal evidence that visitors to the chapel, which dates back to 1446, used to be disturbed by bees. Mr Mitchell said some of the staff at the Rosslyn Trust were aware some years ago that there had been bees going into the cavity. The hives have now been reinstated within the rebuilt pinnacles on the roof of the chapel.

Rosslyn Chapel was built on the orders of William St Clair, Prince of Orkney. Begun in 1446. work ceased in 1484 when William died, so that the building was then in the form it remains in today.

Members of the Scottish Beekeepers’ Association said yesterday they had not heard of beehives created from stone. Mrs Una Robertson, the organisation’s historian, said: “I’m not an architect, but it’s the sort of thing that might have come my way. Bees do go into roof spaces and set up home, and can stay there a long time, but it’s unusual to want to attract bees into a building.

“Traditonally, bees were kept in a skep — made out of straw or dried grass. Skeps have been around for centuries. Wooden hives only came in since the 17th century. Bees have been kept in all sorts of containers , but I have never heard of stone.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 080735.ece

Chapel panel stolen from Great Tapestry

Fife Cultural Trust (FCT) has called for the public to help track down one of the panels from the Great Tapestry of Scotland that was stolen from Kirkcaldy Galleries on the morning of Thursday September 10th. The panel illustrating the story of Rosslyn Chapel was removed from display at around 10am.

The Great Tapestry is one of the biggest community projects in the world, with 160 individual panels, lovingly stitched by more than 1,000 volunteers. The Tapestry has been on display at Kirkcaldy Galleries since 20 June and in that time over 50,000 people have been amazed and delighted by the scale, quality and exuberance of the design and fantastic detail of the stitching.

Fife Cultural Trust is working closely with the police to review CCTV footage. Laurie Piper, Head of External Relations for Fife Cultural Trust said; ‘We are proud and delighted to be able to have the Great Tapestry here on loan, and to give the people of Fife the opportunity to experience this amazing artwork at first hand. The Tapestry has been exhibited all over the country and has been seen by over 300,000 people since it first started touring. The people of Fife have taken the Tapestry to their hearts and we are now hoping that they will help us to bring it back where it belongs – alongside its 159 companions.’

The panel was designed by artist Andrew Crummy and lovingly stitched by volunteers in Midlothian. The panel took hundreds of hours to create and has now been stolen from the people of Scotland.

Alexander McCall Smith, co-chair of The Great Tapestry of Scotland, said ‘This is a terrible blow for a project that has brought so much joy to so many people. I appeal to those who have taken this panel to return it. Words cannot express how shocked I am that somebody should damage in this way what is now widely seen as a great national treasure.’

Ian Gardner, Director of Rosslyn Chapel Trust, said ‘It is shocking news that the Rosslyn Chapel panel has been stolen from the Great Tapestry of Scotland. Many of the Chapel’s most famous features including the Apprentice Pillar, Green Man and angel carvings appear in the panel, which took 450 hours of stitching, by seven skilled embroiderers, to complete. We would appeal to anyone who has information about this theft to contact Police Scotland.’

Members of the public who may have information regarding the whereabouts of the Rosslyn Chapel panel are urged to get in touch with the local police on 101 or Fife Cultural Trust on 01592 583204.

http://www.rosslynchapel.com/news/chapel-panel-stolen-from-great-tapestry/

Ex-Syfy Channel Fringe Historian Claims to Find Oldest Viking Map of America Under Rosslyn Chapel
6/14/2016

27 Comments

The headline was tantalizing—claiming that a historian found a shocking medieval carving that would rewrite the history of the New World. The article in the Sun was sensational—a Viking map of Vinland found under Rosslyn Chapel. The claim was supported by two experts—TV historian Ashley Cowie and a university professor. And yet everything in the story seems to be wishful thinking by Sinclair family super-fans—and recycled wishful thinking to boot!

The claim comes to us from Cowie, who started off as a photographer and antiquarian before becoming a Knights Templar and Sinclair (a.k.a. St. Clair or De Santo Claro) conspiracy theorist in the mid-2000s. On the strength of his Templar conspiracy theories and his appearance in the History Channel special Holy Grail in America with Scott Wolter, the Syfy Channel tapped him to helm Legend Quest, their attempt to mirror the success ofAncient Aliens, in 2011. Cowie presents himself as a historian on the strength of Legend Quest and his previous gig as the staff historian for a Scottish TV channel, STV. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/e...st-viking-map-of-america-under-rosslyn-chapel

Fascinating: and not nearly as lurid reporting from the Sun newspaper as might've been expected, on this topic
2016-06-19 17.29.15.png
b
The diagrammatic / expanded version of the gravure 'pylon map' at Rosslyn....

The putative Ptolomaic / proto- Cartesian intercept points, by comparison.
2016-06-19 17.31.41.png

Much less well-known than Rosslyn: St. Edmund's Masonic Church in Rochdale!

"The church was opened on May 7, 1873, with various Masonic ceremonies held. The cost of its construction is known to have been at least £28,000, whereas the cost of a “normal church” in those days was roughly £4000. No wonder therefore that Sir Nikolaus Pevsner catalogues the church as “Rochdale’s temple to Freemasonry, a total concept as exotic as Roslin Chapel in Scotland.”

Additional photographs here.

I confess to having known nothing of this curious church until today. Sadly, it is now shut as a place of worship and in need of repair as a Grade 2* Listed Building. :(

*Edit: Wikipedia says its status has been raised to Grade 1.

Last edited:
Ex-Syfy Channel Fringe Historian Claims to Find Oldest Viking Map of America Under Rosslyn Chapel
6/14/2016

27 Comments

The headline was tantalizing—claiming that a historian found a shocking medieval carving that would rewrite the history of the New World. The article in the Sun was sensational—a Viking map of Vinland found under Rosslyn Chapel. The claim was supported by two experts—TV historian Ashley Cowie and a university professor. And yet everything in the story seems to be wishful thinking by Sinclair family super-fans—and recycled wishful thinking to boot!

The claim comes to us from Cowie, who started off as a photographer and antiquarian before becoming a Knights Templar and Sinclair (a.k.a. St. Clair or De Santo Claro) conspiracy theorist in the mid-2000s. On the strength of his Templar conspiracy theories and his appearance in the History Channel special Holy Grail in America with Scott Wolter, the Syfy Channel tapped him to helm Legend Quest, their attempt to mirror the success ofAncient Aliens, in 2011. Cowie presents himself as a historian on the strength of Legend Quest and his previous gig as the staff historian for a Scottish TV channel, STV. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/e...st-viking-map-of-america-under-rosslyn-chapel

Scott Wolter is back, this time about the Sinclair journals. Jason Colavito writes:

I don’t want to beat a dead horse by continuing to examine the case of the so-called Sinclair journals, but I am rather perplexed by some of the claims that Scott Wolter is making for them, and I shudder with dread at the upcoming discussion of more Templar “secrets” Wolter promises for “the coming days.” On his blog, Wolter replied to questions from the regular reader of this blog who posts under the name “An Anonymous Nerd” with some baffling claims revolving around the question of the Templar interest in Jerusalem vs. their supposed centuries of secret missions to the middle of America:

Of course they went there for a reason, it is clearly stated in the journals which you obviously have not read yet. It is also obvious Earl Henry wrote his entries as it was his obligation that becomes apparent upon reading them. Fugitive Templars that survived after 1307 and fled to Scotland were protected by the dominant clans after serving in Bannockburn. However, since they had been outlawed the order began to evolve into something different. For example, celibacy demanded by the Church was no longer necessary and to continue they had to procreate. ...

http://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/m...us-freemasons-and-templar-worship-of-baphomet

Back