• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Is Hell Like?

A

Anonymous

Can you describe it?

I think It can be either of these:

1. A place where you live out the worst things of your life, over & over again.

2. A place where you rot in fire and coal, for eternity. Where your enslaved.

3. A place that doesn't exist.

Well, I can't describe any place I haven't been.

It may or may not be like Philadelphia!

I do suggest you check out "The History of Hell" by Alice K. Turner. A great read--chock full of details.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hell+gehenna+metaphor+&btnG=Google+Search

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Hell
... the term. Besides Hades and Gehenna, we find in the New ... the wicked sinking down into
hell (Num., xvi, 31 sqq ... Is this merely a metaphor to illustrate the state ...
http://www.knight.org/advent/cathen/07207a.htm - 51k - Cached - Similar pages

Gil Bailie on: The Fires of Hell
... the later Christian notion of "hell" its most enduring metaphor. The deeper meaning
of this passage surfaces, however, when we learn that gehenna was the Greek ...
http://www.execpc.com/~paulnue/year_b/vu_hell.htm - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

Hell
... and resurrection. Hebrews has no mention of hell and the only other New Testament
references are in James (Gehenna, in a metaphor for the tongue), in 2nd Peter ...
http://www.kwdavids.net/hell.html - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

Life after Death 10
... Gehenna as a vivid description from real life, Jesus made the terrifying prospect
of eternal hell real to those who listened. Regardless of what is a metaphor ...
http://www.evidenceofgod.com/answersdeath/answersdeath5.htm - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

The Use of ?Hell? in the New Testament
... are those who allege that hell will consist in the wicked ... 9:44) ? fire being a
metaphor for ?the extreme penal ... Jesus spoke of Gehenna as a place ?where ...
http://www.christiancourier.com/archives/ntHell.htm - 26k - Cached - Similar pages

Conclusion
... describing the soul's slumber as a "metaphor." As we have seen, Fr Seraphim ... every
good reason not to confuse hell (Gehenna) and hades (abode of the dead ...
http://www.new-ostrog.org/gnostic/conclusion.html - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

index
... of Hinnom (Gehenna in Greek, rendered Hell in English) where rubbish was cast ... way
to dispose of trash. Gehenna became a common metaphor for the destruction of ...
http://www.vision-nz.co.nz/questsite/heavhell.htm - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

All religions that contain the concept of hell agree that it is fundamentally a state of being completely separated from God, which presumably is pretty unpleasant. Add to this the concept of punishment and it gets worse.
No one knows what the afterlife is actually like so any descriptions are symbolic and not literal.

Personally I'm with Jean-Paul Sartre on this one...
'Hell is other people' ;)

hell

I beleive hell is A. Parliment B. British traffic C.C.N.N. D.Dealing with any government department and E. taxes.In short ,how much worse can it get,we are living it now.

The Norse Hell was meant to be cold. I read somewhere that the preoccupation with a fiery hell was a mediterranean interpretation. The med folk have a hot hell cos they know how unpleasant the sun can be when youve forgotten the SPF50.
The Norse knew how nasty it could be without any nice bits of dead animal to snuggle up under, if the sun had gone on holiday, so they thought of hell as like a long scandinavian winter.

the christan hell as a place dose not yet exist (in the eternal dambnation sence) acording to the book of revelations. acording to this book hell will be the lake of fire and brimstone (fire and sulfer, sounds like magma/lava to me) where the souls of all people who acted like gits during their lives will burn away into nothingness. There won't be much time for little demons prodding sinners with tridents unless this happens in the que to the lake.
This thought helps me get over it when ever some ratboy nicks my sterio etc. however I don't know yet if I'll face the same fate as said ratboy if he is unrepentant.:cross eye

however I could be wrong as the book of job basicly says : did you create the universe? do you run the universe? if the answer to these questions is no ,how can you posibly hope to understand the whole universe and the full nature of God?

Didn't the original biblical texts employ the word 'sheol'? It seems to be a more neutral place.:

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=sheol

She·ol Pronunciation Key (shl, sh-l)
n.
The abode of the dead in the Bible.
--------------
[Hebrew ’ôl.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sheol

\She"ol\ (sh[=e]"[=o]l), n. [Heb. sh[e^][=o]l.] The place of departed spirits; Hades; also, the grave.

For thou wilt not leave my soul to sheol. --Ps. xvi. 10. (Rev. Ver.)
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sheol (Heb., "the all-demanding world" = Gr. Hades, "the unknown region"), the invisible world of departed souls. (See HELL.)

-Justin.

Helle?

Wasn't Persephone supposed to have cast the souls of the unworthy into a cauldron (symbolic of the womb and rebirth)?

One of Persephone's alternative names was Helle, so I guess those unworthy souls were indeed "going to Helle".

If these unfortunates weren't worthy of entering heaven, and were sent to Helle for rebirth (or reincarnation) doesn't it rather suggest that the Earth is the place where these souls were sent?

Is Hell life on Earth?

Hell's Origin

The English word "Hell" has its conceptual origin in Judaism's word for it which is "Gehinnom." Other words for Hell in the original Hebrew Torah describe different aspects of it.

Christianity innovated many attributes to Hell which have no basis in Judaism's original meaning and definition. Here is a short 101 on "Hell" from Judaism.

After the soul departs it hovers over the dead body for 3 days. If that soul had lived a perfectly righteous life (very rare indeed) it goes straight to Heaven and bypasses Hell.

Hell lasts for 11 months for the newly entered soul. The purpose of Hell is to cleanse the soul not just punish it. For certain the soul suffers in Hell but not because God wants to wallop it. The suffering cleanses and after 11 months (having been purified of all sin) the soul gets into Heaven.

The ratio between Hell and life on Earth as well as Heaven and life on Earth is 60:1. What does that mean? Fire is 60 times greater in Hell than on Earth. Likewise Bliss and Reward is 60 times greater in Heaven than on Earth.

All reality in the universe and beyond is within God...including Hell.

One of the worst theological-terrorist innovations attributable to the founders of Christianity is the concept of "eternal damnation in Hell." Such a misportrayal of Hell has no basis whatsoever in Judaism. The Church used this tactic to control people and add to their coffers especially with the selling of "indulgences" by various Popes.

Rabbi Moshe Yess

Yes...8 years and counting (as foretold in Kaballah) and the only Redeemer this planet will ever have.

Why do you doubt 4 million hits? This site was listed on Art Bell's website when I was interviewed by Ian Punnit last summer.

Rabbi Moshe Yess

Nice to see a Rabbi on the board: shalom! I studied Zorastrianism at Uni, and was informed that the hebraic tradition of hell stems from Zardusht's vision of walking through a cleanisng lake of fire, which strips the body of sin. Difference being that all must pass through it on the way to the after life, only sinners will feel the fire as like burning iron the pure as though it was a lake of milk.

I envision hell as a place where one is forced to relive the 'sinful' moments of ones life until you make the 'right' choices of your own volition (a la Groundhog day :) ).

Then again I've got an overactive imagination!

Quote "walking through a cleansing lake of fire, which strips the body of sin" this appears in many pagan rituals, in the form of leaping across the bonfire to cleanse ones body. In earlier times in Kernow farmers drove their cattle across the embers of the ritual fire to cleanse them of disease. This must have a connection with purgeing the soul in order to be able to enter "heaven."

probably a good method of getting rid of 'Foot and Mouth' disease also - hey maybe that's where this comes from! Perhaps firewalking is an old method of killing verucas....

Re: Hell's Origin

Rabbi M. Yess said:
After the soul departs it hovers over the dead body for 3 days. If that soul had lived a perfectly righteous life (very rare indeed) it goes straight to Heaven and bypasses Hell.

Hell lasts for 11 months for the newly entered soul. Rabbi Moshe Yess

As a Christian the concept of hell has always intreged me. I have read most of the 'old testament (torah,history,knolage,profets etc) and all of what christians call the new testament and would be very interested to know from what books in the old testament (or other books that may not be included in it and where to get them) This discription of hell comes from, I'd quite enjoy looking it up to compare it to the hell of the revalation of st Jhon (which is probably more similar in discription to the jewish concept than the popular concept of laughing demons proding sinners up the arse with tridents).
I would alsolike to hear from any Muslims out there on what the Muslim concept of hell is as I haven't read any of their holy books yet (I will once I finish my complete reading of the bible but that may take me a few years yet :) )

Hell is where people like Jimi Hendrix and Mick Jagger will go. Heaven will contain Cliff Pilchard and Joan Bakewell.

Hope i'm headed down to the party!!

Beat me to it! It's grooooooovy baby. Jimi on lead, Bonzo on drums, Morrison not reading his poems, Lennon on vocals...........

Hell - ask a depressive

Isolation from all around you even in the middle of a crowd
A wall through which you can see the world but not shout or scream can penetrate it
A wall so dense that no sound or light can penetrate
Self condemnation so harsh you wish to tear it out of yourself
Paralysis of the will
Insignificance

Wonder if the now late Jon Entwistle will be there?
Gone but not forgotten!!

Hell for me, would be to die in guilt or regret... That is more scary for me personally. :(

intaglio said:
Hell - ask a depressive...
Amen to that! I've had days when I've thought that this life is Hell, and there's no escape.

Changing tack slightly, Christianity considers suicide a sin: what is the Muslim opinion? (I'm thinking about the 'popularity' of suicidal Islamic terrorists, of course.)

Big Mike said:
Can you describe it?

I think It can be either of these:

1. A place where you live out the worst things of your life, over & over again.

2. A place where you rot in fire and coal, for eternity. Where your enslaved.

3. A place that doesn't exist.

None of the above - it's a place populated by religious extremists.

Wait, that sounds like...

bulldog said:
Hell is where people like Jimi Hendrix and Mick Jagger will go. Heaven will contain Cliff Pilchard and Joan Bakewell.

Hope i'm headed down to the party!!

Not a fan of Mr. Gillan, by any chance?

Spooky angel said:
My own personal hell would be dying full of regret for all the things I wished I'd done. :(
I'm living full of regret for all the things I wished I'd done.

(Now I'm too old, feeble, and poor to do them.)

Back