• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. M

Tech Help (Beyond This Forum)

You can pay by phone at 0333 202 9524.
  2. M

Daytime Flying Triangle Over London, Late 1970s

This is a very interesting thought. It is perhaps the most plausible possibility. If it was a model aircraft then it would have been flying at perhaps a few hundred feet, maybe up to about 1000 feet (I'd guesstimate, after all this time). It is plausible that such a model plane could have been...
  3. M

No, definitely not. It's urban London, and not a place you'd generally expect to see hang gliders (or microlights, for that matter) flying. Indeed. I'd guess it might be just about possible to launch off Parliament Hill in windy weather but I can't believe that a hang glider launched from...
  4. M

Do you have a link to your sighting? I'd like to read it. Note that I have not attempted to firmly estimate the height of the object we saw. Read carefully what I wrote in the various messages in this thread. I was never sure at the time of the sighting how large the object was, so I could...
  5. M

I'd certainly be very interested indeed to read about Chris Gibson's 'Aurora' sighting.
  6. M

I'm afraid I can't place much faith in such generalisations. ;-) However, once again see my original post where I wrote: However, I fully understand that these kinds of estimates are very subjective since I did not know the real size of the object. I can only say that the shading of the object...
  7. M

As you will see if you read my original post, I actually suggested to my parents at the time of the sighting that it could have been a hang glider. As I said in the original post in this thread: At the time I remember suggesting that it could be a hang glider as the shape matched that of a...
  8. M

Ah, it's just that you asked a question that I had addressed in my original post. (a) I did in fact point out that positive identification was impossible at the time. Due to its lack of movement and its shape, the object we saw did not match anything that we could recognise. It was certainly...
  9. M

I can only say that would not have matched our sighting. It was definitely not noticeably moving in any horizontal vector (although, as stated, it could have been moving very slowly), whereas a normal aircraft directly overhead that was ascending or descending would have been clearly seen to...
  10. M

The Yowie

I detect cynicism. ;-) But seriously, it surely would help. More is always better when it comes to resolution and low light capability in cameras. And if the result is to show more bears or men in suits, then that is for me a desirable outcome in that those are valid answers.
  11. M

Yes, this sort of thing is very frustrating. Excluding errors of observation for the sake of simplicity, it seems to me that there could be at least five main plausible explanations. These are just my personal and subjective favourites and I make no claim that they explain anything: Natural...
  12. M

To give you a literal answer to your question, the difference between "not moving" and "moving very slowly" is that one is not moving and the other is in fact moving, but is doing so slowly. But I'm sure that's not what you really meant to ask. ;-) Did you mean to ask why I could not tell...
  13. M

Yes, certainly. Did you read the original post?
  14. M

I have already replied about Concorde above. Concorde was not a match for what we saw in a number of respects. Concorde's shape (when seen at either high altitude or low altitude) was far more slender than what we saw and Concorde is also very noticeably not quite a pure delta/triangle shape...
  15. M

Indeed it could, but it most certainly wasn't a Draken. Nor a Mirage. No. Not right for that. I was very familiar with Concorde. It is also worth pointing out that the object we saw was either not moving or was moving very slowly. Annoyingly I do not recall us waiting to see what happened to it.
  16. M

Robot Round-Up

More than one scifi author has mooted a technology backlash (e.g. Asimov, Frank Herbert). In my own (non-scifi) thoughts, it seems to me that a tachnology backlash, possibly catalysed by robots (especially humanoid robots) but not limited to robots, is almost a certainty at some point, taking...
  17. M

The Yowie

Wouldn't help (as things stand). There's already dashcam footage of bigfoots. But it's often still unclear what is really being observed. Bear, bigfoot, or man in suit? Who can be sure? Same issue with trailcam footage. We need much higher resolution dashcams with much better low light...
  18. M

Kchoo Experience

Indeed, it is a problem. But I feel sure things will be resolved one day. The greater humans' general technological development and the greater the integration of ubiquitous technology into people's everyday lives, the greater the chances of the right phenomena, the right technology and the...
  19. M

Kchoo Experience

This is true. But note for the avoidance of doubt that I am not saying or assuming that aliens would be "so alien we wouldn't understand them". I am simply saying that (a) we have no evidence to assume otherwise at present, and (b) we have inadequate evidence at present to make any assumption...
  20. M

Some intriguing artwork on the linked page. For the future avoidance of doubt, my sighting was nothing like the painting above. ;-)
  21. M

For what it is worth... The object I saw was somewhat similar to this triangle recently seen "near Amsterdam in Wormeveer, Netherlands". N.B. I can't get the video to play so I can only see a still image. According to my memory, what I saw was not as bright and slightly more isosceles than the...
  22. M

Fortean Headlines

Bizarre. I wonder if it was put there in a customer return. A friend of mine once worked in a Blockbuster store. One day she found a very small crucible wedged inside a VHS tape, presumably by a customer. Yes, by "crucible" here I mean a ceramic container for heating objects to high...
  23. M

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

Steady on, old chap.
  24. M

That's the key (hah, see what I did there) thing. If it doesn't activate at all, get your money back from the vendor. Any UK or EU vendor will almost certainly give you your money back without question. This is where PayPal is useful, as is buying from eBay (using PayPal). Very easy to get your...
  25. M

(a) It is viable. (b) It might or might not be legitimate. By "legitimate" here I mean a legally resaleable licence key. (c) It will probably activate a W7 installation. (d) If it's not legitimate, it (activation I mean) could stop working at any time. But my view is that this would not matter...
  26. M

You could give it a try. Just do a full backup first so you can get back to where you were if it all goes wrong. :-)
  27. M

Kchoo Experience

Absolutely, one cannot rationally deny the whole thing. There are undoubtedly UAP phenomena. But the question to my mind is: What are UAPs that people see? Even things that appear to be physical craft of some sort might not be. E.g. I think it likely that plasma phenomena have a lot to answer...
  28. M

I get a 404 error here. Are they selling cheap W7 licenses? You can get similar licences on eBay as well. Bear in mind that such Windows licences most certainly can be and might well be legal and legitimate, but it cannot be guaranteed. So keep in mind that the licence key you paid for might...
  29. M

Volumes and volumes... One of the useful results of the GDPR legislation is that Microsoft finally published details of the server endpoints of their various spywaremonitoring/reporting/diagnostic features. This means that it's much easier to block communications you don't want to allow.
  30. M

Kchoo Experience

Yes, it would settle a great deal to have some kind of objective evidence that they were here. I suspect (but cannot prove) that such objective evidence does exist but that those who possess it do not wish to share it. Also the 'Prime Directive' hypothesis seems plausible but, again, there is...
  31. M

Yup. A lot of this is to do with Microsoft's poor testing/QC in recent times. Despite this, W10 is genuinely very good (despite the in-built spyware). I think so.
  32. M

Kchoo Experience

Yup, call me Mark. :-) I suspect it's better to keep the political stuff off a generally good-natured forum like this one. The problems with strict moderation are that it is hard work for the moderators and it would be very difficult for them to always be seen as unbiased. Better just to keep...
  33. M

Oh well, if you're happy with XP far be it from me to try and change your mind. ;-) It is endless. But it's not just Windows. The same issues seem to apply to Linux. As things progress, compatibility is lost at the tail end of the chain. To be fair, Microsoft makes more effort to maintain...
  34. M

Odd People: Cranks, Eccentrics & Nutters

Is that a more politically correct name for "pleb herding"?
  35. M

Kchoo Experience

Maybe for the same reasons that the USA did not just take the mineral wealth of Afghanistan: It wasn't morally acceptable[1] (at least not without some kind of legally defensible cover). As discussed in other contexts, aliens are likely to be, if anything, alien. So it's difficult for us to...
  36. M

Yeah but.... ;) For a very small outlay you can have a legal 7, 8 or 10 licence and you can always re-load and install if it crashes (which is very rare of course). And Windows 7 and onwards have been, in my experience, as bullet proof as XP was. Also, why avoid NTFS? I have never seen any...
  37. M

No, completely unrelated. The call was just a meaningless phone scam. What browser do you use? If it's IE then it will be an old version, which might well explain your download problems. May I suggest you move off XP? :) Being on XP is increasingly going to limit your software choices...
  38. M

Kchoo Experience

I just don't think we can safely make such an assumption. Only time will tell.
  39. M

Kchoo Experience

But why not? Aliens are surely alien. They need not conform to our ideas of rational behaviour.
  40. M

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Indeed. What I find so remarkable is how this can happen in the UK. It's such a compact place and it often seems to me that there is not a square foot of it where humans do not tread frequently. And yet it would seem that even in fairly built up places there are locations where people hardly...
  41. M

Kchoo Experience

Let's just say that I take a more positive view of things in general than you. :-)
  42. M

Kchoo Experience

See the duck blind in Star Trek Insurrection.
  43. M

Kchoo Experience

Yes, this would be very effective at galvanising humans into consolidated action but it could also be very dangerous. Once galvanised, it seems to me that we humans often don't stop easily. An approach like that could result in blowback for the aliens. It could potentially be a way of duping...
  44. M

Kchoo Experience

I get the sense that you are a tad cynical. ;-) If I may play devil's advocate for a moment, aliens are, if nothing else, alien, so what makes sense to them might well seem bizarrely nosensical to us. It's a bit cliché but perhaps they (if we assume that they exist, for the sake of argument)...
  45. M

'Oumuamua: Interstellar Object: Rendezvous With Rama?

It seems to me that scientific articles/interviews in non-scientific publications always end up somewhat confused. All other things being equal, I'd tend to blame the journo/editing first.
  46. M

Kchoo Experience

If they are really as benevolent as that (and I'd very much like them to be so, assuming that 'they' really exist in the here and now), it seems that they would do better to just land in every capital city in the world simultaneously and come out saying "we come in peace". They'd surely get...
  47. M

Well, immoral though Google may well be, it's their service and they can offer it on any terms they want. This is certainly little to do with security and more to do with maximising revenue. This is why I recommend DuckDuckGo. I just checked and I can download the desktop version of Google...
  48. M

I believe that this message appears when they see lots of different computers/people connecting from the same IP address, as happens with a VPN. They claim that this could be due to some kind of malicious action (e.g. bots trying to game their advertising in some way) which sort of makes sense...
Back