• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. I

Any ideas?

Are the stars right, Mummy?
  2. I

Any ideas?

That's sort of what I thought - dead frog all swelled up from rotting?
  3. I

Any ideas?

A friend found this in her driveway. Any idea what it is? It's about the size of a baked potato. http://caffeine-fairy.livejournal.com/p ... g/643/7707
  4. I

Animal Collectors & Hoarders

In response to the original question... Or possibly just proving that you can find medical evidence to support any damn thing; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8645846&dopt=Abstract Broadly, people with immuno deficiencies, owning cats, more...
  5. I

Poisonous Food Urban Legends / Folkore

Re: oysters? I thought it was to do with oysters changing sex? They change sex during their life cycle which obviously causes them to become thin and less tasty (well, wouldn't you?)
  6. I

'Please' banned in Australia?

I believe the terminology was; "The Honourable Member has been economical with the truth." And yes, it is against the rules of Parliament to accuse another member of lying.
  7. I

Perceived Body Dysmorphia / Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)

I occasionally get the sensation of having wings like a dragonfly, in moments of great stress or fear - I literally want to "fly" away. I wonder if the angel wings could be a reaction to a traumatic childhood and a wish to escape, formed by common religious imagery? I shouldn't worry about...
  8. I

Three Perfect Wishes

Ah, Delerium. "I think you should be attacked by lots of insects for ever and ever and ever." "Why did you do that to him?" "Why did I do what to who?" I think your best bet would be the Homer Simpson route, "I want a turkey sandwich on rye with mayo". Think small.
  9. I

Contrails & Chemtrails

Why so many believers? This'll probably get me flamed, but I honestly believe that in part it's denial, a refusal to accept any personal responsibility for the damage to the environment and changes in the climate caused by pollution. Much better if it's the Government Out To Get Me, than...
  10. I

What's Your Superhero Special Power?

I don't get searched. Clubs, festivals, whatever - even at really security conscious events. *Shrug*
  11. I

Would You Do It? (Spend a Night in a Haunted Place)

I used to live in a haunted flat, so I know I could do it - assuming I was quite certain noone else had snuck in to wind me up...
  12. I

Worst Movie EVER?

Short Cuts - four hours of my life that would have been better spent shaving my legs, shaving my partner's legs, anyone else's legs, anybody else's anything, really. Four hours of my life I will not see again.
  13. I

The Highgate Vampire: 'The Truth'

Which leaves us with the possibility of a pure, unadulterated, un-tampered-with image of something mocked up? Simply because it's a genuine film/photograph of something doesn't make the thing it's of genuine.
  14. I

What's Your Superhero Special Power?

I have this one! Can I be your sidekick?
  15. I

The Necronomicon

Re: Why Not? OK, I'll start you off; As evening shaped I found me on a moor...
  16. I

The Necronomicon

So, in a fight - Cthulhu or Godzilla?
  17. I

The Necronomicon

The idea of linking the Mythos with the four elements was Derlath's (sp?), who created fire vampires simply to fill in his theory that this was "what HPL originally intended". The elemental connection is one HPL directly contradicts in his collected letters. Derlath wound up as de facto...
  18. I

The Necronomicon

Waves, smiles, loses SAN...
  19. I

Extremely Unusual Dream Experiences

I often get dreams where I'm in a fight but can't put any force behind my punches, I've had this so often now I've trained myself in dreams to pick up something sharp to hit people with so the lack of force makes no difference...this scares me! The short sighted members of the forum - do you...
  20. I

The Necronomicon

Billyjoe, can I ask from which texts you'd got the information that the book was real? Thanks I'm also a big HPL fan, and Ramsey Campbell - can anyone remind me of the name of the story Campbell wrote about the haunted church, where the haunting creature was sneaking up on the protagonist...
  21. I

Sharks & Cancer?

Since many species of shark are endangered, it bothers me where the hell they've been getting all this shark cartilage which people are uselessly shovelling down their necks... Thanks for the articles, very enlightening!
  22. I

The Necronomicon

Sorry, only to reiterate - it's a fabrication by Lovecraft, and referenced in several other texts by writers of his aquaintance - this cross pollination was common amonst Lovecraft's circle, to the point that they even "kill each other off" in various texts. (see "The Haunter of the Dark" - the...
  23. I

Fortean-Themed Albums, Songs & Music

To the tune of copa Cobana It's name was Chupa El Chupacabra... Bugger, can't remember it. It was in Weird Year 2000
  24. I

Family Nicknames

My brother gets called Woo Woo because I couldn't say Andrew when I was little, and I get called Biswas because my dad is an odd fellow. When she was little my mother got call Buttons.
  25. I

Robot Round-Up

Robots are being let loose in a colony of machines in an attempt to find out whether they can learn from their experiences. The scientists behind this unusual experiment describe it as an evolutionary arms race for robots, with the machines struggling to collect energy. The Living Robots...
  26. I

Muti Murder

It's probably not related, but this doesn't seem to be a new phenomena to London, at least; http://www.casebook.org/victims/whitehal.html http://www.casebook.org/victims/pinchin.html
  27. I

Evil Genius

He's probably got hydrocephalus (water on the brain) which makes the head appear enlarged and misshapen. It can be caused by a blow to the head in infancy so it's possible skull shaping may have caused it, hence the larger skull. See also the "water brains" thread somewhere on this forum...
  28. I

Another Worry...

Interesting. So if we could just get Jupiter lit it could replce the Sun?
  29. I

Beckjord: I Was Mothman!

"If you can spell, know some grammar, went to school all the way, and have some exerience, then they hate you if you reveal that. " Yup. Best to stay on the safe side, then.
  30. I

Magick: What's The Point?

I'd say magic is any process which allows you to tap into and shape energy reserves not usually available to the average bod on the street - be they your own hidden reserves, other people's, the Earths, or whatever happens to work for you. On a deeper level (and probably rather iritatingly...
  31. I

The Camera Never Lies?

Did you take it with a flash? That often seems to leech/change colours in photos.
  32. I

Cryptobotany?

WHAT!?!?!?!?!
  33. I

"I'm very happy [actually I'm sick with jealousy ] for all you occultists out there who have fantastically happy lives" "I'm also interested in trying to divert people away from wasting their time on Magick. " Since magicians seem to feel that it works, and helps make them happy, who is...
  34. I

Wintermute, if you're not interested, why are you posting here? Obviously we have different definitions of magic. I can handle that but unfortunately for you it seems to be something you feel the need to get childish and rude about. I shall leave you to that solitary vice.
  35. I

Beckjord: I Was Mothman!

Could someone give me the URL for Mr Beckjord's website? I can't seem to access anything from those links... Thanks
  36. I

CHECK THIS PICTURE OUT!!!

Brilliant! I jumped out of my skin...thanks
  37. I

soapbox "Magick" and "magik" drive me bananas, I think it looks like you can't spell /soapbox Sorry, I didn't really have anything constructive to add ;)
  38. I

Re: Take it from a former occult book dealer! Er, says who? If all you're aiming for is the aquisition of temporal power you are unlikely to be successful. But my magic aims to make me happy. It works. Magic is sadly not a formulae I could write down for you which will give you...
  39. I

Collecting Crisp Packets, Bottle Tops, Etc., For Charity

Re: Bananas Yes he did - I remember it on the news
  40. I

"In the context of the original question - which by the way is an eminently sensible one - this is just another of those tricks of rhetoric that 'Magickians' use to disguise the fact that they're wasting their life on navel-gazing and have nothing to show for it. " But leaving aside...
  41. I

Allergies & Allergic Reactions

There's two possible answers I can think of - one is that people were dropping dead all the time before but their deaths weren't attributed to peanut allergy (it's not an obvious link), and the other is something I was told about breastfeeding. Apparently you can get a kind of oil to put on your...
  42. I

Evil Smiley Cult Alert

This started with Superman's, acid blotters (sheets of perforated paper soaked in LSD) with the Man of Steel's logo printed on them. About the same time (early '70's), various comics started producing tatoo transfers, which you had to kind of float off of the backing paper to stick to you. The...
  43. I

Do You Believe In Astrology?

A thought from DNA... `Parliamentary democracy. The rules just kind of got there. They don't make any kind of sense except in terms of themselves. But when you start to exercise those rules, all sorts of processes start to happen and you start to find out all sorts of stuff about people. In...
  44. I

What's the most obviously magickal thing you've experienced?

Two things, which I'm sure can be explained as coincidence, but felt magical... The first - I was sharing a flat with a girl when I first moved to London. It was fun but extremely stressful. When I came to having to move out I was very stressed and not altogether happy as I had nowhere to go...
  45. I

Contagious injokes?

I'm not sure if these are real or if my mother made them up... "mardy" meaning (usually of a child) bad tempered and weepy "cotty" (of all materials but often hair) tangled and unkempt. "crud" any unwanted matter but often the stuff you get out of spots. Understanding my mother was...
  46. I

Foods Nobody Dislikes (Or Everybody Likes)?

Roast potatoes are peeled, parboiled, and then roasted in the oven in a little fat (preferably meat fat). They are amongst my desert island foods. Still waiting for the beef and chicken stew recipe... BTW I remember reading somewhere that liking/disliking sprouts is due to a chemical...
  47. I

Mysterious Illness

Yes - it's MINE! MINE I tell you! Bwahahahahahaha!" Ahem. Sorry
  48. I

Mysterious Illness

From experience working in pubs, most cellars have rats, and it's a bit too much to expect them to stay politely off the crates! Another thing which makes people sick quite regularly is the detergent used to clean the lines from the beer barrels to the pumps. The lines have to be flushed with...
  49. I

Good drugs, no side effects!

Anyone have a link to this cornucopea of wonders?
  50. I

Weird Personal Names

What, they didn't know they were cranberries when they grew them? I was friends with both a Nicholas Hoare (took me two years to figure out why everyone thought it was so funny) and a Rolfa Dipple...if either of them are on the boards, hi there! There's a Bottom Wallop in Hampshire and...
Back