• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

hallybods said:
I've heard of a stream called shit creek, basically because it was used as a sewer in medieval times.

i've been there once or twice meself.:)

Believe me I've met plenty of Wayne Kerrs in my time.......

A newspaper article today was about missing mass/ dark matter, and one of the astronomers quoted was a Dr. Heavens!

I've been to Shy Beaver, Pennsylvania.... hmmmmm.

Pig's Nose, Buntingford & Cherry Bounce, Hemel Hempstead, both in Hertfordshire, England.

The latter, is supposed to be the first place that cherries were grown in England, in King Edward the Third's days.

I know of Wet Wang in Yorkshire, Boggle Hole also in Yorkshire.

I live near Pusey (which my american friends (lesbians) both found hysterical and had to have their pictures taken with the sign!).

How's about Kingston Bagpuize?

Near here in Upton-Upon-Severn is a road called 'Minge Lane' they don't even have a proper sign for it anymore as it keeps getting nicked!
There's a Beer and Beer Head in Cornwall and a Condom in SW France.
I once saw a business called 'Pile Wonder' in France and after inquireing discovered they reconditioned car batteries, so they dealt with sulphuric acid. You wouldn't get that near my rear end whithout piles let alone with!
I went to school with a 'Dwayne Pipe' and a friend I still have now whoose surname is Hunt and his fathers first name is Mike, like the film Porkies. I can only imagine it didn't have the same conatations when he was born poor chap.
I also went to college with a Dick Pullin although most people called him Richard.

Some from the States

We have a "Shades of Death Road" here in New Jersey. The sign is stolen on an irregular basis.

New Jersey has no less than three towns named Middletown.

On the coast of Angola there is Dumfuggin Rock.

One of my high school classmates was Christine. Unusual in itself, no, but her parents named her brother Christopher and their younger sister Christianne.

The skier Picabo Street is named after an actual street in Colorado(?). Her flower-power parents wanted to let her define herself and choose her own name when she grew up, but they had to give her a name for legal reasons, so she ended up named after a street.

I had a co-worker named Michael Hunt.

The boxer George Foreman named his sons George Foreman II, III, IV and V.

Re: Some from the States

JoeP said:
Possibly that is so unoriginal it becomes original from .the opposite direction. At least it saves forgetting their names...

David said:
Pig's Nose, Buntingford & Cherry Bounce, Hemel Hempstead, both in Hertfordshire, England.

The latter, is supposed to be the first place that cherries were grown in England, in King Edward the Third's days.
On a similar topic, I heard that if you drop a Cranberry it will bounce, unlike any other fruit.

Re: Some from the States

JoeP said:

His stated reason for this is that he was aware of the memory problems comon to boxers as they age and he now wishes he'd asked his wife to change her name to George Forman.

That Grilling machine thing looks dead good though.

Cujo

Re: Re: Some from the States

Originally posted by Cujo

That Grilling machine thing looks dead good though.

Cujo

If you want you kitchen filled with smoke.:cross eye

p.younger said:
On a similar topic, I heard that if you drop a Cranberry it will bounce, unlike any other fruit.

A-yup. It's an actual test used by cranberry growers here in the States.

What, they didn't know they were cranberries when they grew them?

I was friends with both a Nicholas Hoare (took me two years to figure out why everyone thought it was so funny) and a Rolfa Dipple...if either of them are on the boards, hi there!

There's a Bottom Wallop in Hampshire and also a Petts Bottom in Kent...

My bloke went to Uni with a girl called Tracey Island!!

How childish this all is.

OT Near Pratts Bottom there is a place called Badgers Mount.( Made me laugh anyway). Very expensive to buy a house in Pratts bottom.

Also, one of my collegues was working on a conference about impotence and the chairperson was a Dr A Rowsell.

Wasn't there a case in France when they changed the law on names so they didn't have to be named after figures from the bible that a couple called there son zebedee (or the French version of it).

One question, isn't there a UL about a moutain which when translated from the native language was called 'your finger stupid) . The story going thus - Explorer points to mountain and goes what is the name of that , and the local, not quite understanding replies 'your finger stupid. Hope this is true

ninja said:
One question, isn't there a UL about a moutain which when translated from the native language was called 'your finger stupid) . The story going thus - Explorer points to mountain and goes what is the name of that , and the local, not quite understanding replies 'your finger stupid. Hope this is true

The Grand Tetons in the western US were supposedly named by a trapper of French origin.

The word 'kangaroo', is supposed to mean 'I don't know'.

An explorer on seeing one for the first time, grabbed a local & wanted to know what the creature was called, but, the supposed local didn't know either & replied in his native tongue.:D

David said:

An explorer on seeing one for the first time, grabbed a local & wanted to know what the creature was called, but, the supposed local didn't know either & replied in his native tongue.:D
That cant be true can it? I'll bounce it over to a friend in Oz to find out.:p

JoeP said:
The Grand Tetons in the western US were supposedly named by a trapper of French origin.
A perverted French trapper at that.

Az

Where i grew up our local police officers last name was Pipe,so every one called him Copper Pipe.

He actually married a woman whose last name was green and had a daughter called Theresa.She was very happy when she became Theresa Pipe.

Quite honestly, p. younger, I would like to belive that it was not true!!!!!!!

The only variation on the theam that I've ever heared was that the meaning of the reply was: "I don't understand what you're saying!!!!!!!!!

My dad knew someone with the surname Enis. I don't know what his parents were thinking when they named him Paul....

I know of someone with the surname Bear, who called his son Rupert . . .

carole said:
I know of someone with the surname Bear, who called his son Rupert . . .

When I was a teenager I met someone who was waring checked trousers and a white scarf. My friend and myself took the p*** out of him by saying that his name must be Rupert, he then turned to us, and with genuine amazement said "How did you know my name was Rupert?".

David said:

Isn't this what Terry Pratchett refers to as the 'Surly native' system of place naming? And in one of the discworld books he actually has a mountain called Yourfingeryoufool.

Baby Name

I copied this from the Dilbert web site http://www.unitedmedia.com/comics/dilbert/dnrc/newsletter/html/newsletter39.html
The editor thinks this is an urban legend and asks for comment. Can we provide enlightenment?

My wife was a public social worker in South Carolina many years ago. One of her case families had a daughter named Syphilis. The family pronounced it in two parts: Syph-Philis. One day my wife asked the mother how they came to name the child Syph Philis. The mother said the hospital named her, and she got a copy of the birth certificate to prove it.

On the birth certificate was an annotation that the child was "born of a mother with syphilis." The mother assumed the hospital had named her child for her.

Back