• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Search results

1. A

Tarot Cards: Using Them For Divination, Gaming, Etc.

i'm wrapping up an article on tarot and was trying to find famous people in history who have used tarot. i was thinking a president used tarot to make important decisions. probably not true, but can anybody point me in the direction of anyone else?
  2. A

Hearing Conversations In My Head Just Before Sleep

i will often hear what seems like an entire theater full of people. hundreds of voices mixed together. ocassionally a few lines will jump out from the hum.
  3. A

strange attraction

that would be cool. :)
  4. A

strange attraction

the bad thing about a small town is that you can't go anywhere -- out to eat, to the store, walk down the street -- without running into somebody you don't want to see. i quickly found myself slinking around town, ducking down store aisles to avoid people. :D that's a weird way to exist.
  5. A

strange attraction

again6, i've really enjoyed your posts on this subject. you've been able to capture and solidify aspects of weird town culture i'd previously feared just came from my own slanted viewpoint. but i think your town has mine beat as far as weirdness factor goes. :D
  6. A

strange attraction

rynner, i never turned on the TV or radio the entire time -- totally my fault. i brought a case of CDs with me, because i knew how horrid the radio stations would be. otherwise i would have been forced to listen to things like freebird and cocaine. :D one night i ended up at a gay karaoke...
  7. A

weird shopping

i found this at an antique shop. it's a formaldehyde generator -- used to combat scarlet fever, yellow fever, malaria, etc. it filled the sickroom with formaldehyde gas. :shock:
  8. A

strange attraction

again6, you touched on something that does appeal to me about my weird little town. it is SO peaceful. so quiet. very little traffic, so errands are simple. and the isolation. yes, nothing touches these places. very few people there use the internet. those who have it, don't seem to use...
  9. A

strange attraction

thanks, bouncing. :) i remember reading i'm okay, you're okay -- years ago. i'll have to look it up again. i've never heard of scripts people live. i'll check that out too. i think we are also always fighting instinct. i think it may be instinctual to want to return to our roots, or...
  10. A

strange attraction

interesting and disturbing post, tindalos. the really scary part of this kind of seduction of place is how quickly the new life begins to seem perfectly normal.
  11. A

strange attraction

thanks so much for all of the great responses. i am loving them! and what a relief to find i'm not the only person who has experienced this confusion. this is my last night in my dead town, and i can't wait to get out of here. i wish i could leave tonight. there is a bleak darkness here...
  12. A

strange attraction

ignatius -- that is almost EXACTLY what happened to me -- except the house i lived in wasn't for sale, so i started looking at other places. i'm actually in the town right now, having come back to see if this is something i really wanted to do. decay and nostalgia seem to be a potent mix --...
  13. A

strange attraction

i always find myself drawn to houses and buildings that are dark and sad. i was recently seriously considering moving to a dying town that is very bleak and depressing, then i came to my senses and realized the town is creepy, and i would be an alien there. but for a while, i felt this very...
  14. A

strange attraction

do you ever find yourself confused by your own strong negative reaction or response to something? do you ever think you are attracted to a person or place, but in actuality you are really repulsed? :oops: not sure this makes any sense!
  15. A

Pathological Or Compulsive Lying

sounds just like my mother-in-law. she would say the the most awful things -- in front of witnesses, then completely deny it, play the victim, and get horribly angry if anyone repeated what she'd said. it turned out she came from a family of liars. lying was an accepted part of daily life...
  16. A

The Watcher in the Woods: What Happened

OMG! mr. boogety! i was just recently trying to think of that title. i think it was made for television. if it's the movie i'm thinking of, it's about a kid who realizes his dad is possessed, but nobody believes him. there is this hilarious scene were the dad, in pajamas and lying on his...
  17. A

Spooky movies

picnic at hanging rock http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073540/ Trivia: Executive Producer Patricia Lovell reported that the watches and clocks of the cast and crew behaved in an erratic manner: stopping at a certain hour, or being either too fast or too slow. In both the book and the film...
  18. A

Strange Photo

here it is: click on image for larger view
  19. A

Strange Photo

I love this photo. It’s not nearly as creepy as the first one, but I still find it quietly intriguing. Here is my personal interpretation: This was a period of time in the states when the ozzie-and-harriet-happy-family-unit mentality was pushed to the point of propaganda. So here is the...
  20. A

Strange Photo

wow. that's really strange, vardoger!! now the length of the face from the nose to the chin seems really out of proportion.
  21. A

Strange Photo

very cool and interesting, anconite!!! thanks!!
  22. A

Strange Photo

very cool and interesting, anconite!!! thanks!!
  23. A

Strange Photo

i can't quit looking at it. i've looked at it so many times that i now see it in my head when i'm not looking at it. :shock:
  24. A

Strange Photo

and it could also have been taken by a newspaper reporter.
  25. A

Strange Photo

okay, what about this? burn victim? did someone say that already? a friend said her grandmother was a burn victim and used to wrap flour towels around her head. burn victim could also explain the hidden hands. maybe this is outside a doctor's office and apothecary. which would also...
  26. A

Strange Photo

so my pickled alien fetus theory has been tossed out? damn! :wink:
  27. A

Strange Photo

if you click on the image, you can see an larger version.
  28. A

Strange Photo

the window: a figure in a jar. to the right of that is a hand, palm out, fingers curled.
  29. A

Strange Photo

30. A

Strange Photo

oh, yeah!!! good catch. i also keep thinking of some gross thing my grandmother had that she called a skull cap. it was flesh-colored, very thin, and fit tightly over the head. she never used it, but i think she said people slept in them. but my memory of it is fuzzy.
  31. A

Strange Photo

what's in the window? looks like a baby alien in a jar. and to the left of that, a face attached to something. maybe it was halloween.
  32. A

gathering of pine cones

i've seen pinecones leave nice, trailing rows and zigzags after a heavy rain. usually in areas where the ground is pretty bare. could that have been the case?
  33. A

Internet Trolls (Their Motivation / Psychology / Psychopathology)

gotcha. :D and i've made some deletions to my blog. ;)
  34. A

and now i'm thinking i shouldn't have started this thread... :shock:
  35. A

yes, i suspect this person -- and i don't feel i can go very deeply into it -- is possibly a sociopath. i really don't think troll would even be the correct word for what i'm talking about, but it's the only word i have. the high number of identities this person has would have to consume his...
  36. A

Eerie, Indiana

that would make a great sig line. :D
  37. A

Eerie, Indiana

i ordered the boxset and sadly the series didn't live up to my memory of it. :cry: i loved the whole concept and many of the plots, but the main character wasn't a very good actor. i also think that when the show first came out, it seemed pretty innovative with the voice-over and young cast...
  38. A

i thought we had a thread about trolls, but i couldn't find it. when does being a troll cross over into mental illness? being one troll -- probably not 2? 5? 20? 30? with spreadsheets? over a period of years? FYI: it's not me, and it's not happening here.
  39. A

Tennessee Fainting Goats & Myotonia

i used to know someone who had fainting goats. people thought it was hilarious, but i found it disturbing to watch them fall over in kind of a frozen seizure.
  40. A

Harvey: Hollywood's Favourite Pooka

OMG, the avatar is great! that is one of my favorite movies of all time.
  41. A

Eerie, Indiana

OMG!!!!! i loved that show!!! i swear i think about it almost daily. pardon my OCD. :D i didn't know anybody else was even aware of it. should've known i'd find info about it here! thanks, emperor! i've ordered mine. i now have something to live for!!!!!
  42. A

Photograph

43. A

Photograph

nosferatu
  44. A

The Tea Thread

thanks, pete! i thought i understood tea, but i now realize how little i know. i think a lot of earl grey tea -- or any other tea, can taste different depending on a variety of things. kind of like tobacco and cigarettes. of course earl grey is flavored, but it can still vary in taste...
  45. A

The Tea Thread

ravenstone, thanks for the offer! :) we have twinnings earl grey here, and all sorts of earl grey tea, but the underground tea is the best earl grey i've ever had. and you're right. there is a cat pee quality to a lot of earl grey tea. the underground tea seems to be more...
  46. A

The Tea Thread

i am just finishing a can of loose tea that my daughter picked up in london from what i think was a typical, touristy gift shop. i love this tea, but i'm guessing it's just considered generic crap over there. i did a google search, but couldn't find anything about it. i'm sure everyone will...
  47. A

Weird Book/Comic Covers

OMG! I can't breathe. :D
  48. A

FT Needs Help: Amityville Horror

yep, looks like it's packed with special effects... :splat: always a bad sign :(
  49. A

Spreading The Good Word: How many converts have you made?

i used to subscribe until my eyes got old and the print got too blurry to read. at that time, it was the only magazine print i couldn't handle. I realized i was going through it, looking at the pictures and large print, thinking i would go back and read the blurry stuff later once i dug up a...
Back