• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

christmas

1. Yithian

The Lady Vanishes: Park Crescent, West London (Christmas Eve 1959)

Not a lot to go on, but the author seems to be Lucian Landau, psychic investigator, medium, dowser and condom pioneer! I'm on a phone at the moment. Can anybody rustle up an image of the location?
  2. ramonmercado

Reindeer Can Sleep While They Chew

Sounds like Homer Simpson. Reindeer can sleep while they chew Time spent chewing cud eases the reindeer’s need for sleep, a new study finds Arctic reindeer make time for digesting by doing it in their sleep, a new study suggests. By Laura Sanders DECEMBER 22, 2023 AT 11:00 AM In this busy...
  3. AnonyJ

Family Find Juvenile Owl Living In Their Christmas Tree

Luckily, no harm seems to have been caused and the young owl was released into wide blue yonder via the family's back garden! From https://news.sky.com/story/family-find-baby-owl-living-in-christmas-tree-13031464 "...Every year the White family of Lexington, Kentucky, pick their own tree and...
  4. AnonyJ

Festively-Named Somerset Couple Declare Their Surname Is Real

From one of our local news sources - a Mr & Mrs White-Christmas of Crewkerne, Somerset have declared to the media that their surname is real, and not a prank or joke https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/mr-mrs-white-christmas-say-8974086 "Mr and Mrs White-Christmas say they love...
  5. Frideswide

Christmas Stagecoaches

Back in the day (1960s, 1970s) there were always some Christmas cards which had stagecoaches on them. I can't remember the last time we received one! Is this a Thing or a happenstance or a recognisable result of our circle of friends? There seem to be fewer robins about too.... :(
  6. X

Christmas Gnomes At Museum

I went to the Danish Zoological Museum in Copenhagen last week. In Denmark we have a kind of gnome with a pointy red hat, generally associated with christmas. They are called "nisse" or "nisser" in plural. You can see some pictures here: http://www.kb.dk/kb/postkort/ Well, at the museum they...
  7. D

The Date Of Christmas

Please excuse me if this has been done before... I'm new here. :) I was reading the thread on the Origins of Islam, and a brief side-conversation came up about the date of Christmas. Popular belief is that the date was chosen to coincide with the pagan festival of the same date. Here's...
  8. MrRING

Ghosts Of & At Christmas

Watching the great Alastair Sims Christmas Carol, I began to wonder - was it just chance that Dickens looked at Christmas as a time for ghosts? Putting two and two together with "Santa Claus: Last of the Wild Men" article, which seemed to indicate a common kind of festival that linked...
  9. A

Santa Claus / Father Christmas: Origins & History

[Emp edit: Thought it worth having a separate thread for this apart from the Seasonla one: www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11985 I've now megred a few threads and posts together to make this one.] An ancient tradition mentioned in the article on the Fortean homepage - Last of...
Back