• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Bizarre & Nasty Haunting

In Tibetan mysticism, a tulpa is a being or object which is created through sheer willpower alone. The concept was brought to the West in the 19th century by Alexandra David-Neel, who claimed to have created a tulpa in the image of a jolly, Friar Tuck-like monk which later developed a life of its own and had to be destroyed. Many authors and artists have since used tulpas in their works, both in the context of fiction and in writing about mysticism. Horror author Clive Barker, for example, envisioned his famous "Candy Man" killer to be nothing more then a myth gone terribly awry in his original story.

more from Wiki here

"Tulpas" seem sort of equivalent to "servitors" in the Western magickal tradition. Here's a link to a useful book, if you fancy having a go at creating one at home!

Duncan.

I'm not convinced by the Tulpa theory. I just feel that the creation of one apparently requires much more concious effort and practice that Frank seems to have produced, and I'm fairly certain that Tulpa's aren't brought into existence accidentally. Also, those who believe in Tulpas also say that they should die shortly after the creator - so if Frank shuffles onto pastures anew the haunting should quieten down too, according to the legends.

But who knows? Perhaps Frank was heavily into Magick and managed to conjure himself into trouble. Maybe that's what was in the upstairs cupboard... Frank's supplies...
:)

ProfessorF said:
PPerhaps Frank was heavily into Magick and managed to conjure himself into trouble. Maybe that's what was in the upstairs cupboard... Frank's supplies...:)

Its a thought! As my grandparents where devout catholics, he would have kept it a secret from them, thats IF he was into Magick etc. The idea that his "supplies" where in the cupboard for 30+years i find a bit hard to believe, although my grandparents didnt throw many things away, a very large house for 2 people provided lots of storage (my father had a full sized snooker table in a bedroom before he got married, so it was big!). My view on the cupboard is they (or someone) once saw something going into or coming out of the cupboard, or perhaps it was a "hotspot" for activity, or noises came from there? (thisd is all speculation, not fact). But whatever it was they certainly didnt want to go in there.

After my parents had cleared the house (taken what they wanted), a local antique dealer was contacted and given a key to clear the house, would YOU trust a dealer to have 100% access and take whatever they wanted and just tell you what they got for it?, they obviously preferred this way to having to be involved though. You can be certain the dealer went into the cupboard and EVERY part of the house etc.. My mother rememebers the dealer saying "ive never had a house clearence like this one before", I assume that means they found lots of old things of value? The dealer never complained to my parents of any strangeness happening BTW.

I have friends who, for one reason or another, have created thought forms which continued an existence way after they stopped recharging them. Perhaps they draw their energy from another source, if one is available to them?

Yes. I think that alternative source might be the family, in this case. Everyone involved seems to have reacted to Uncle Frank's little helper with respectful awe and dread, which has helped perpetuate its existence. (In fact, we're all still helping keep it 'alive' with our discussions on this forum!)

It would be interesting to know if anything strange happened in the house after it passed out of PaZZa's family's hands... My guess would be that the activity abated...

Duncan.

i HOPE is stopped, noone should go through that.

Ive just watched the xfiles "arcadia" episode (for no reason other than im working through every episode, i bought the boxed sets) its about a tulpa, i dont think the one on the house it was like theirs lol.

Upstairs/downstairs

In regards to the comments made on earlier posts about events happening upstairs and in basements. From what I've read of Freud, in dreams the house represents yourself and different parts of the house, different parts of you. The upstairs - especially the loft/attic, represents your mind/mental state. :? I can't remember what the basement means. I tihnk I have it in a dreams book which i can look up and translate if necessary (it's in German)

My parent's house kitchen is downstairs - you can hear our ghost moving around in the middle of the night. I always ask my parents the next day but they were not in the kitchen and didn't hear anything (They are bad sleepers - like me, and no sleepwalking incidents every). I sleep above the kitchen and seem to hear things. Even sitting downstairs, alone in the house, I've heard things move in the kitchen. Plastic bags rustle for a bit - once a bunch of bananas were in the middle of the kitchen floor. (They had been inside the fruit bowl, not balanced on top). :!:

I hope no one minds me bringing this one back to the fore so to speak, there have been no additions for nearly 7 years and I would hate it to disappear.
This is one of the most frigtening things I have read - not out & out scaryness, but the underlying long term sense of horror.
I have read this a few times over the years and do not doubt it happened, even if some of the factuality got lost over the years. The thread seems to have got to a natual conclusion, but I hope some of you who have not seen it will find it interesting. Do not read it alone late at night :shock:

Thanks, despite ploughing through many threads of pre-history i hadnt found this one yet.well worth a read. :)

My view on the cupboard is they (or someone) once saw something going into or coming out of the cupboard, or perhaps it was a "hotspot" for activity, or noises came from there? (thisd is all speculation, not fact). But whatever it was they certainly didnt want to go in there.

Thanks for bumping this one Jeff, fascinating. I would like to hazard a guess at the contents of the cupboard - a mirror.Mirrors crop up in all sorts of magical systems as the gateway for the invoking of things from somewhere else.
The rituals are various but all have mirrors in common - I used to deliver for a Chinese takeaway and the owner said that in Chinese magic ( he was no more specific than) that if you peel a fruit without breaking the skin whilst uttering some invocation in front of a mirror you will get something. Remember that now rather old horror flick Candyman? Somebody even did that once and the afflicted house had to be exorcised.
Apparently mirrors used for this purpose are warm to the touch. Of course this is nothing more than circumstantial but surely if Frank's instruments were small and lightweight they would have ended up in the bin or bonfire, a mirror would be difficult to move and the family could have been fearful of something happening if they broke it while moving it. bound to get a few quid out of an antiques dealer too.

Sorry, off-topic - how can you peel a fruit without breaking the skin?

Sorry should have phrased that better, removing the skin in one continuous strip, so there is only the one piece of removed peel.

For what it's worth, having just read this I looked up Uncle Frank in the births, deaths and marriages index and a Francis Joseph Robinson was indeed born in Gainsborough in 1900, so he did exist. I wonder if there is anything else we can find out about him.

Oh :(

Having just had a look, RealPaZZa has not posted since 2007 and would be aged 82 now if he's still going so I seriously doubt we are going to get any more info from him on this. Which is a pity...

I wonder if anyone PM'd him to get the address.

Brilliant story, after reading it through i'm wandering could uncle Frank have been tortured by his sexuality?(some hint of his being gay)and either commited suicide upstairs or was even killed during an attempted exorcism of his gayness? this might explain his disappearance and the reluctance to go upstairs.

lolaclare said:
For what it's worth, having just read this I looked up Uncle Frank in the births, deaths and marriages index and a Francis Joseph Robinson was indeed born in Gainsborough in 1900, so he did exist. I wonder if there is anything else we can find out about him.

You're quite right, this is the right person - I've done a bit of research on this and I'm 99% certain I know the house but, I'm not sure it would be the best thing to start posting any locations/details on this forum without first running it by RealPazza as this is his family after all.

Also, there could be people living there now who might not want their home becoming some Fortean shrine!

Lola Clare:
I could be wrong, but I don't think that RealPazza actually is 82. The birthdate on his profile says 01/01/30, which could've just been the first digits selected by the user when registering. Also, Pazza states his mother is alive still, if I've done my research right, this would've made well over 100 when he last posted!

Has anyone PM'd RealPazza?

Markey23:
"exorcism of his gayness"? Really?
:roll:

He also once started a thread on Genesis P-Orridge and skullfucking, which tends to suggest he's a bit of an old punk/industrial type ie 40s to 50s now, rather than perhaps somewhat older.

finley909 said:
Markey23:

To be fair to Markey23, just because the concept of exorcising the gay out of someone is ridiculous in the extreme, it doesn't mean that someone in a society where homosexuality is frowned upon, to say the least, might not try it, especially if they're already a user of magic (or believe themselves to be).

Limelight said:
finley909 said:
Markey23:

To be fair to Markey23, just because the concept of exorcising the gay out of someone is ridiculous in the extreme, it doesn't mean that someone in a society where homosexuality is frowned upon, to say the least, might not try it, especially if they're already a user of magic (or believe themselves to be).

I wasn't having a pop at Markey23, it was the way it was phrased that amused me ;) I think I prefer 'exorcising the gay out of someone' now!

You can see a few paintings by F J Robinson if you search for Pazza on Flickr.

Well-preserved indeed.

finley909 said:
I think I prefer 'exorcising the gay out of someone' now!

It was one of my finer moments of wordsmanship, even if I say so myself. :D

I've read this a few times now and have to say I find it genuinely disturbing. It rings true to me I didn't get the impression any of it was made up or embellished like some of the stuff I read.

Would be really interesting to know if there were any subsequent events in later years.

Glad to hear that he is possibly still alive and well! Perhaps he might come back here and give us an update.

I've had a look at his Flickr and from that have deduced the address of the house in Gainsborough. Had a look on Google street view out of curiosity and can see which house it is. It looks like a very normal terrace - not sure what I was expecting, Uncle Frank waving out of the upstairs window! :lol:

I must admit that I thought the whole story with Uncle Frank disappearing coupled with the entity upstairs making its presence felt might be some kind of cover-up of something bad (murder? manslaughter?) having happened to Uncle Frank up there. Maybe the evidence was hidden in the wardrobe on the landing they were all so scared of.

I wonder if any more records can be found about F J Robinson or did he completely disappear from history.

Back