• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Mancunian Haunting

JackDark

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I have just typed out this story for another site, so I thought I would share it with you here ...

In 1975, my dad took over a pub/hotel in Ardwick, Manchester. (The Junction Hotel on Hyde Rd, in case any other Mancs on here). Pictured below in 1959 ..

The previous landlord had literally grabbed his stuff and left in a hurry. The official line was "due to dodgy dealings", but it transpired that the real reason was a lot more sinister...

I was aged 9 at the time, and on the very first night we moved in I watched as the plug from my one bar electric fire was just ripped out of the wall as I lay in bed staring into it. Despite this, I recall a strange feeling of serenity, and I somehow managed to put it aside and get off to sleep.

During the following months I felt various presences around the place, and regularly heard footsteps coming from directly above my bedroom, which was the old hotel, the entrance to which was boarded up and the rooms lay semi derelict. (See the small windows at the top of the pub building below? That was the hotel area, my room was directly below, the last room on the right). Even so, I did not really realise the extent of the 'problem' until one day when I came home from school and found the place in total darkness. All the curtains had been closed and there was a strange man wandering around chanting, and throwing water onto the wells. Yep, this was an 'exorcism' in progress!

We moved away from the pub shortly after that, and it was only years later when my dad gave me the full story. Many things had happened, but here's a few that REALLY stick in the mind.

On the first night we moved in, after closing time, dad was working in the cellar cleaning out the beer pumps when the jukebox suddenly burst into life at TOP VOLUME. My mum was upstairs in the living area, so there was no-one at all on the pub floor level, and therefore, no-one to trigger the jukebox. The song - ironically (or not) - was 'All I Need Is The Air That I Breathe' by the Hollies. Blaming each other for this, Dad shouted UP the stairs, mum shouted DOWN to dad, and they eventually met up in middle, perplexed. They laughed it off, and blamed it on an electrical fault, but from there, things got much worse.

One night, they had kept some pub regulars and bar staff behind to help put up all the Xmas decorations. They finished the job at 3am, and went off to bed. The very next morning, the pub cleaners arrived at 8am and found that all of these decorations had been taken down, put away neatly in the same boxes they had came out of, and then stacked up in the middle of the pub floor!!

Another night, my dad and a senior barmaid, thought they had cleared the pub of all the customers, when they noticed two people sat at a table across the room. Dad shouted over to them to "drink up", but they just ignored him. Then, just as he was about to go over to the table He - AND the barmaid - watched in horror as the two people walked towards them, and then literally right THROUGH them, disappearing through the old bricked up exit door just behind them.(Which kind of condones the 'timeslip' theory of ghosts I suppose). The senior barmaid was nonplussed at this. She apparently 'knew' the couple as Jack and Barbara, married pensioners who had died 30 years before in a car accident.

The Worst was still to come though...

Just after Christmas, dad and mum, and our FOUR dogs, (Hey, this was a pub in a very violent area of town!!) were sat in the upstairs lounge at about 1am. They were watching a film, when they suddenly heard approaching footsteps. These steps were coming from the stairs and landing directly outside the lounge. Now, my dad, was a giant of a man, and had no fear at all, but this really freaked him out. He told me that although the steps were seemingly coming up the stairs the reaction of the dogs made him realise that this was no human intruder. He said that The dogs, simply showed no reaction at all to the steps, as if they could not hear them! Dad and mum could definitely hear them though, getting louder and nearer, until they stopped right outside the lounge door. At that point, a large 'glow' filtered through the door and into the lounge. This was the point when my dad said he just froze solid. "Time stood still". The whole room was in total deathly silence, and then from somewhere in the room they heard a disembodied child's voice "Hello, I'm Charlotte". At this point my mum fainted, and dad's knee jerk reaction was to respond with "I'm Alex". But the point was already made and 'Charlotte' had gone, literally, in the blink of an eye. Meanwhile, the dogs, had not noticed or sensed anything at all. They just lay there next to the fire totally oblivious. (So much for animals being able to sense spirits!?!)

It was at that point that my parents decided to call in the local priest to do a clearance - more dramatically known as an 'exorcism'.

It didn't work, and after my dad was violently shoved into one of the beer tanks in the cellar, whilst nobody else was in the whole building, they decided to upsticks and leave.

Looking into the history of the building later,they found that a previous landlord from just 10 years before, had been decapitated in the cellar by an exploding beer barrel. Which would sure explain a few things, but, they never got to the bottom of the 'Charlotte' story. Also, the building to the left of the pub in the picture below, was an old morgue. Don't suppose that would have helped really.

From that time, my own belief in ghosts has been total, however, I also understand that no matter how many tales like this are told, people will never believe until they experience something themselves. And that's fair comment.

Either way, there has been no artistic licence used here, and ALL of the above is true. Make of it what you will.

junctionhotelca6.jpg

Well it does say "Wines And Spirits" on the hoarding outside. So that's just asking for trouble!

Chilling account though. Your family needs more dogs. And less ghosts. Your 'dog to ghost' ratio is all to cock.

JackDark said:
One night, they had kept some pub regulars and bar staff behind to help put up all the Xmas decorations. They finished the job at 3am, and went off to bed. The very next morning, the pub cleaners arrived at 8am and found that all of these decorations had been taken down, put away neatly in the same boxes they had came out of, and then stacked up in the middle of the pub floor!!

Now that would really annoy me, you spend all that time decorating and some spook goes and take the whole lot down again.

JackDark said:
It was at that point that my parents decided to call in the local priest to do a clearance - more dramatically known as an 'exorcism'.

It didn't work, and after my dad was violently shoved into one of the beer tanks in the cellar, whilst nobody else was in the whole building, they decided to upsticks and leave.

I'm not being funny but why would it work? Just because some priest comes and shakes his censor around a bit. I think you're depending on the spook taking the priest seriously.

zoltan_g said:
JackDark said:

Now that would really annoy me, you spend all that time decorating and some spook goes and take the whole lot down again.

Er, yes, that was obviously the point.

JackDark said:

zoltan_g said:
I'm not being funny but why would it work? Just because some priest comes and shakes his censor around a bit. I think you're depending on the spook taking the priest seriously.

You are trying to be funny though. Or rather, 'smart'. But "why would it work?" is an age old question that needs answering by someone other than me. ;)

I would be off up there like a shot for a pint and a good scaring, but I suspect the place has been bulldozed long since. :(

It has been knocked down now, but not that long ago actually. I went back a couple of years ago and it was semi derelict. (see pic below). I found a way in through the back door and wandered up to the bedroom areas. The only light coming through was from the holes in the boarded windows. It didn't seem as scary, but, I didnt really fancy hanging round there for long. I got a couple of people interested in doing an overnight sit-in, but it never happened, as not long after this photo it came down, and is now a carpark. As is the 'morgue' next door.

Again, for any Mancunians, or anyone who knows the area. It's not far from Belle Vue, right opposite the BOC used car showroom.

Finally, I'm going through the channels to try and get the stories of the other surviving landlords of this buidling. Apparently, the hauntings never stopped, and there must be a book in there somewhere!!

junctionlastbi2.jpg

I know where that place was; I grew up about a mile and half from there. Great story! I wish a ghost would pack my decorations away. I'd settle for a ghost putting them up!

Without wishing to hijack the thread, but it's at least on topic, there's a pub called the Angel in Denton, the town where I grew up, only a few miles from the pub mentioned above. I recently flicked through in a second hand book that mentioned the Angel and said it had a reputation for being one of the most haunted pubs in the country. Now, whilst I know the pub is old, as it was first licensed in 1597, but haven't really heard anything about it other than a reference to a ghost cat (apparently, years ago, a cat was asleep in an oven and the cook closed the door and lit it).

Has anyone ever heard of the pub before? I ask because a local paranormal group seem to meet-up there and I'm wondering whether they might be the source of the claim about how haunted it was. After all, it's a good marketing tool for a group such as this to claim they meet in a very haunted place. Not that I'm actually accusing them of this, but am curious as it's not unknown for people to bolster and exaggerate claims like this.

You say you were about nine years old at the time. Could there have been a poltergeist element to all this do you think? Did you ever experience anything spooky after leaving?

Nowt to do wiv me guv.

Nothing happened to us after we left, but as mentioned, the spirits were still very much there.

JackDark said:
Just after Christmas, dad and mum, and our FOUR dogs, (Hey, this was a pub in a very violent area of town!!) were sat in the upstairs lounge at about 1am. They were watching a film, when they suddenly heard approaching footsteps. These steps were coming from the stairs and landing directly outside the lounge. Now, my dad, was a giant of a man, and had no fear at all, but this really freaked him out. He told me that although the steps were seemingly coming up the stairs the reaction of the dogs made him realise that this was no human intruder. He said that The dogs, simply showed no reaction at all to the steps, as if they could not hear them! Dad and mum could definitely hear them though, getting louder and nearer, until they stopped right outside the lounge door. At that point, a large 'glow' filtered through the door and into the lounge. This was the point when my dad said he just froze solid. "Time stood still". The whole room was in total deathly silence, and then from somewhere in the room they heard a disembodied child's voice "Hello, I'm Charlotte". At this point my mum fainted, and dad's knee jerk reaction was to respond with "I'm Alex".
True-life ghost stories usually have different effects on me. Some seem so spooky that the hairs on my neck stand up. Some seem so hackneyed that I yawn with boredom.

But this one is so different from those types that I actually laughed out loud with surprise!
But the point was already made and 'Charlotte' had gone, literally, in the blink of an eye. Meanwhile, the dogs, had not noticed or sensed anything at all. They just lay there next to the fire totally oblivious. (So much for animals being able to sense spirits!?!)
And another surprise! Humans sensing ghosts that animals don't!

Great story - continue the research, but don't over-egg the pudding, as you don't need to.

rynner said:
JackDark said:
Just after Christmas, dad and mum, and our FOUR dogs, (Hey, this was a pub in a very violent area of town!!) were sat in the upstairs lounge at about 1am. They were watching a film, when they suddenly heard approaching footsteps. These steps were coming from the stairs and landing directly outside the lounge. Now, my dad, was a giant of a man, and had no fear at all, but this really freaked him out. He told me that although the steps were seemingly coming up the stairs the reaction of the dogs made him realise that this was no human intruder. He said that The dogs, simply showed no reaction at all to the steps, as if they could not hear them! Dad and mum could definitely hear them though, getting louder and nearer, until they stopped right outside the lounge door. At that point, a large 'glow' filtered through the door and into the lounge. This was the point when my dad said he just froze solid. "Time stood still". The whole room was in total deathly silence, and then from somewhere in the room they heard a disembodied child's voice "Hello, I'm Charlotte". At this point my mum fainted, and dad's knee jerk reaction was to respond with "I'm Alex".
True-life ghost stories usually have different effects on me. Some seem so spooky that the hairs on my neck stand up. Some seem so hackneyed that I yawn with boredom.

But this one is so different from those types that I actually laughed out loud with surprise!
But the point was already made and 'Charlotte' had gone, literally, in the blink of an eye. Meanwhile, the dogs, had not noticed or sensed anything at all. They just lay there next to the fire totally oblivious. (So much for animals being able to sense spirits!?!)
And another surprise! Humans sensing ghosts that animals don't!

Great story - continue the research, but don't over-egg the pudding, as you don't need to.

Please explain where I am "over egging the pudding"?

JackDark said:
Please explain where I am "over egging the pudding"?
Oops, sorry, you're not (so far)! That was just a throwaway remark which I should have thrown away!

Fascinating case Jack Dark made more credible by the first hand testimony. I like hearing about these high weirdness cases, it sounds like a place my family had in Nottingam during the war, long before I was born.
Glowing eyes on the bedroom landing, the dog sitting and begging for non-existant people, my grandmother slapped hard across the face by something unseen, hag type visitations, strange smells and smoke, the works. Even my great-aunt who'd lived alone in the sticks all her life refused to go back inside after one episode and was found baby sitting outside when my mother returned from work. And all opposite a graveyard.
Turns out the previous occupant had gassed himself in the kitchen according to the neighbours. A rather too rounded explanation for the modern fortean but it satisfied my family enough to leave and they had no more bother afterwards.

JackDark said:
The whole room was in total deathly silence, and then from somewhere in the room they heard a disembodied child's voice "Hello, I'm Charlotte". At this point my mum fainted, and dad's knee jerk reaction was to respond with "I'm Alex".

Brilliant story and I was giggling at your Dad's reaction in the bit quoted.
I bet he still gets stick over that.

Traprain said:
JackDark said:
The whole room was in total deathly silence, and then from somewhere in the room they heard a disembodied child's voice "Hello, I'm Charlotte". At this point my mum fainted, and dad's knee jerk reaction was to respond with "I'm Alex".

I wish to God he did, as the lovely old feller aint on this mortal coil any more. Still, at least he probably now knows WHO Charlotte is! :lol:

JackDark said:
zoltan_g said:
JackDark said:

Er, yes, that was obviously the point.

JackDark said:

zoltan_g said:

You are trying to be funny though. Or rather, 'smart'. But "why would it work?" is an age old question that needs answering by someone other than me. ;)

Excuse me? Did I offend you or something? I wasn't trying to be funny or smart, some people :roll:

JackDark said:
Traprain said:
JackDark said:

I wish to God he did, as the lovely old feller aint on this mortal coil any more. Still, at least he probably now knows WHO Charlotte is! :lol:

Oops, sorry about that.
Hope he has had the chance to give "Charlotte" a piece of his mind for scaring him!

I just bumped into a neighbour who informs me that the "Shakespeare" pub in Manchester's city centre is due to be investigated by a paranormal team some time in February next year. I'm booking my place NOW!!!

Great. Interesting pub is the Shakespeare, spent many a late night in there myself. Er, boozing though, not ghosthunting :roll:

"An inn has stood on this site since 1771. The present building actually dates from 1656, and used to be "The Shambles Inn" in Chester, until it was dismantled, transported to Manchester and reassembled in its present form in 1928. Reputedly haunted by the ghost of a young girl who died in the last century, having been raped by by the chef, who later hanged himself - the rope marks are still visible on a ceiling beam!"

I thought it was haunted by a Burning girl.... ?

More details on which ghost hunters are doing this please.

Mind you I think the fact the Pub moved makes this thing all seem a bit odd. Logically ghosts moving with buildings makes no sense. But I don't want to spoil the fun..

GwilymGam said:
I thought it was haunted by a Burning girl.... ?

More details on which ghost hunters are doing this please.

Mind you I think the fact the Pub moved makes this thing all seem a bit odd. Logically ghosts moving with buildings makes no sense. But I don't want to spoil the fun..

Yes. All gets rather silly at times. I myself asked the question about the pub moving and the ghost girl. I was told that, the hanging story happened in the building that was on that piece of land BEFORE the pub arrived from Chester. At that point I mentioned the, ahem, "rope marks on the beam" ?????

Tis a spookey place though.

ahaa sounds rather dodgy.. we might check it out anyway after our mini Fortean meet this afternoon. (See announcements).. It is certainly a good pub whatever.

It seems that pubs, inns and hotels come in for a fair amount of haunting. Could this be that those passed over are revisiting sites where they knew the comfort of warmth, company and food/drink? Or are the apparitions just "recordings" absorbed into the fabric of the building?
Whatever the cause of the phenomena, experiencing them first hand is a spinechilling, one when all rationale seems a bit feeble, I don't blame anyone for getting out of that situation if they could, especially if they have young children to consider.
I too worry about exorsisms, does the spirit have to believe in the same god and rituals as the exorsist? There are stories of the phenomena returning. What happens to the spirit? Where does it go?? Personally I have found that my household ghost responds to a polite "go away please" but then she is not very fearsome or much of a bother bless her!

jefflovestone said:
Without wishing to hijack the thread, but it's at least on topic, there's a pub called the Angel in Denton, the town where I grew up, only a few miles from the pub mentioned above. I recently flicked through in a second hand book that mentioned the Angel and said it had a reputation for being one of the most haunted pubs in the country. Now, whilst I know the pub is old, as it was first licensed in 1597, but haven't really heard anything about it other than a reference to a ghost cat (apparently, years ago, a cat was asleep in an oven and the cook closed the door and lit it).

Has anyone ever heard of the pub before?

Yeah, I know the Angel (I am from Hyde) been in a few times but never noticed anything out of the ordinary or scary (cept some of the clientele). I have actually never heard of any supposed ghostly goings on.

I am trying to picture The Junction in Ardwick, I must have seen it hundreds of times but I can't remember it. Any chance of a picture from Hyde Road to show exactly where it stood?

triplesod said:
jefflovestone said:

Has anyone ever heard of the pub before?

Yeah, I know the Angel (I am from Hyde) been in a few times but never noticed anything out of the ordinary or scary (cept some of the clientele). I have actually never heard of any supposed ghostly goings on.

I am trying to picture The Junction in Ardwick, I must have seen it hundreds of times but I can't remember it. Any chance of a picture from Hyde Road to show exactly where it stood?

It's on the border of Ardwick and West Gorton. Just under the fenian arch, (if going towards Hyde), directly opposite the BOC used car showroom. Its now a car park.

Incidentally, as an aside, I spent a lot of my childhood in Belle Vue, just up the road from there. If anyone wants to share memories about that, drop me a line. I have a ton of old b+w movies etc from Belle Vue.

Thanks Jack.

This page may interest you. http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ewm/0 ... ndex5.html

Your pub is not the pub shown here, is it? It looks kind of similar to teh one you showed earlier but no sign of a street coming off it.

Wish I could reminisce with you about Belle Vue but unfortunately, due to my age all I know of it (apart from Showcase, Speedway, Gorton Tub and the old bowling alley) are the great stories my dad has told me about the zoo, rides and the great gigs from The Stones and Beefheart to Joy Division and The Fall. Fuck! I wish that place was still open!

triplesod said:
Thanks Jack.

This page may interest you. http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ewm/0 ... ndex5.html

Your pub is not the pub shown here, is it? It looks kind of similar to teh one you showed earlier but no sign of a street coming off it.

Wish I could reminisce with you about Belle Vue but unfortunately, due to my age all I know of it (apart from Showcase, Speedway, Gorton Tub and the old bowling alley) are the great stories my dad has told me about the zoo, rides and the great gigs from The Stones and Beefheart to Joy Division and The Fall. Fuck! I wish that place was still open!

I love Eyewitness Manchester, it's one of my fav sites on the net. Some lovely pics on there.

As for the pub, no. Absolutely NO. Being staunch reds in our family, my dad would not have gone anywhere neear a' Man City pub' :shock: :lol:

As for Belle Vue, well, the gigs I recall there were from the early - mid 70s at the Kings Hall. Bay City Rollers, David Essex/Cassidy etc. I was barely out of shorts myself but I used to know all the places to sneak in. Used to make a fortune from getting girls into the venue for nowt!

Re: exorcisms

Wouldn't they depend on the assumption that whatever is going on is due to demonic activity? I'm not Roman Catholic, and I don't know all the theories behind exorcism, but I can't imagine that RC theology would imagine ghosts to be formerly living humans, as these would be in heaven, hell, or purgatory - in the first case, unlikely to want to hang around on earth, and in the latter two cases, presumably, unwilling to...

Unless being trapped on some location on earth is purgatory...

At any rate, in Christian theology generally, God is all-powerful, so an exorcism should not have to depend on the entity's belief in the same God or willingness to cooperate - it should be an appeal to God to take care of the situation, which, presumably, God can do. Then again, prayers for healing aren't always answered (as most Christian theologies, including RC, admit), so maybe there's a similar possiblity that an exorcism wouldn't work (from the Christian theological perspective). The New Testament seems to treat healing and exorcism as almost interchangeable, and Jesus always managed to perform them successfully. So it seems plausible that if prayers for healing aren't always successful today, then not all exorcisms would be either.

Does that make sense?

Can anyone who actually knows more about RC theology, and exorcisms specifically, clarify?

Anyway, great stories, Jack, and I'm glad you weren't scarred or traumatized by the experiences at such a young age.

JackDark said:
If anyone wants to share memories about that, drop me a line. I have a ton of old b+w movies etc from Belle Vue.
Jack, are we talking Super8?

HenryFort said:
JackDark said:
If anyone wants to share memories about that, drop me a line. I have a ton of old b+w movies etc from Belle Vue.
Jack, are we talking Super8?

No. Bona fide DVD and VHS.

Back