• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

A Penny For Your Thoughts: Strange Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
The amount of foreign coins that we accidentally took as payment in our shop was little but some seem ... out of place, if you know what I mean? Such as a coin that looks like a £2 ... but is inscribed with "Badcock Services Ltd. - No Cash Value", a Balliwick of Jersey 20p (sure, legitimate to use but ...), a coin with "1", Arabic and a coat of arms includiing a pentacle, an American quarter-dollar and 3 dimes, a New Zealand 50c, a Barbadian 20c, and my prize Falkland Islands 5p!
All these paid by various tourists to a small North Yorkshire seaside town. :)

We keep getting Arabian coins in our tills. People are using them as 5ps - they are the same size and colour. I'm quietly hoping that they are worth about fifty times as much, although I doubt it, as I can't even read what the value is on them because they are so small.

We keep getting Arabian coins in our tills. People are using them as 5ps - they are the same size and colour. I'm quietly hoping that they are worth about fifty times as much, although I doubt it, as I can't even read what the value is on them because they are so small.
Here is the number system used there;

num.gif

If it's the 5 Halala coin, you'd get £0.00400 for it apparently.

Considering my mental state lately, my thoughts are barely worth a mill.
Don't be too sure, The Repair Shop would love to have you on to expound on your misery for the edification of the masses of masochistic Brits (at least, that's how it would appear on the latest series)

I think that threads without a first post are the best ones, kamalktk: they are totally free-form and can go anywhere. Maybe we should have more like this one?

Anyway, to indulge in my own coin-related old fogey-dom: when I was just a little tacker we still had farthings around. In fact you could buy something for a farthing. If my parents got sick of having me around the house they would give me a farthing and tell me to go to the corner shop. I would toddle off and present my farthing, and the shopkeeper would give me a couple of lollies (taken from the loose ones in a giant glass jar), wrap them up in a bit of brown paper, and give them to me. I'd wander home sucking them.

A farthing was a quarter of an old penny, so 960 of them made a decimal pound. Close to a tenth of a current pence. Farthings were pretty coins, too, with a nice little picture of a wren on them.

farthing.jpg

Ah, those were the days!

I think that threads without a first post are the best ones, kamalktk: they are totally free-form and can go anywhere. Maybe we should have more like this one?

Anyway, to indulge in my own coin-related old fogey-dom: when I was just a little tacker we still had farthings around. In fact you could buy something for a farthing. If my parents got sick of having me around the house they would give me a farthing and tell me to go to the corner shop. I would toddle off and present my farthing, and the shopkeeper would give me a couple of lollies (taken from the loose ones in a giant glass jar), wrap them up in a bit of brown paper, and give them to me. I'd wander home sucking them.

A farthing was a quarter of an old penny, so 960 of them made a decimal pound. Close to a tenth of a current pence. Farthings were pretty coins, too, with a nice little picture of a wren on them.

View attachment 74879

Ah, those were the days!

Blackjacks were a farthing each.

*sighs*

maximus otter

View attachment 74879

Ah, those were the days!
Somewhere in the depths of my attic I have a great collection of these in a farthing folder. IIRC a proportion still have the original lustre, but probably worth bobbins.

The amount of foreign coins that we accidentally took as payment in our shop was little but some seem ... out of place, if you know what I mean? Such as a coin that looks like a £2 ... but is inscribed with "Badcock Services Ltd. - No Cash Value", a Balliwick of Jersey 20p (sure, legitimate to use but ...), a coin with "1", Arabic and a coat of arms includiing a pentacle, an American quarter-dollar and 3 dimes, a New Zealand 50c, a Barbadian 20c, and my prize Falkland Islands 5p!
All these paid by various tourists to a small North Yorkshire seaside town. :)
Badcock Services was the firm that ran the ball dispenser at the driving range in our (East Yorkshire) golf club. They now use a pre paid card but I bet that was an old golf range token.

I only ever had a farthing once. It looked like new, and I can't remember where it came from. Can't remember what happened to it, either.

View attachment 74879

Ah, those were the days!
How ancient ahem, old are you guys? When I was young, some of the kids I went to school with (70s decade) lived in a village with a grocery store. Before getting picked up by bus, they would buy a bag of candies, some of which cost 2 for a penny or for a nickel. When I went in town to help my mom do her grocery shopping, I would get a quarter and be able to buy a small bag of chips (I think they are crisps in your language:)) and a pop.

A quarter of a penny would not have gotten us anything. Not to mention that our smallest denomination was the penny.

How ancient ahem, old are you guys? When I was young, some of the kids I went to school with (70s decade) lived in a village with a grocery store. Before getting picked up by bus, they would buy a bag of candies, some of which cost 2 for a penny or for a nickel. When I went in town to help my mom do her grocery shopping, I would get a quarter and be able to buy a small bag of chips (I think they are crisps in your language:)) and a pop.

A quarter of a penny would not have gotten us anything. Not to mention that our smallest denomination was the penny.
Back in the 60s, we had things called a 'penny chew', which actually cost a penny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back