• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Adorable Six-Legged Puppy Abandoned—Why?

Stormkhan

Disturbingly familiar
Discovered this story on Yahoo News today.

Dog Born with Six Legs Stuns Animal Rescue After Being Found Abandoned in Parking Lot​

f3ea2fc2a6f3f47c5c4dd7400f0d7a78.webp.jpg

Alexis Jones
Sun, 8 October 2023 at 9:19 am GMT+9

Greenacres Rescue in the United Kingdom said vets plan to remove the female spaniel's "additional limbs and explore the function of her remaining leg".

An animal shelter in the United Kingdom has rescued a puppy born with six legs and other anomalies.

Greenacres Rescue at the Ebbs Acres Farm in Pembrokeshire shared on Facebook that a female spaniel puppy with six legs was “handed in to a local veterinary practice” on Sept. 27 after she was found abandoned in the parking lot at the Pembroke Dock location of the B&M home improvement and garden store chain.

Article Continues At Source:
https://uk.yahoo.com/style/dog-born-six-legs-stuns-001903956.html

WHY?

If one was born to my dog, I'd adore this! Of course, if you were an unfeeling, unscrupulous breeder.

Dog Born with Six Legs Stuns Animal Rescue After Being Found Abandoned in Parking Lot​

View attachment 70350
Alexis Jones

Greenacres Rescue in the United Kingdom said vets plan to remove the female spaniel's "additional limbs and explore the function of her remaining leg".

An animal shelter in the United Kingdom has rescued a puppy born with six legs and other anomalies.

Greenacres Rescue at the Ebbs Acres Farm in Pembrokeshire shared on Facebook that a female spaniel puppy with six legs was “handed in to a local veterinary practice” on Sept. 27 after she was found abandoned in the parking lot at the Pembroke Dock location of the B&M home improvement and garden store chain.

WHY?

If one was born to my dog, I'd adore this! Of course, if you were an unfeeling, unscrupulous breeder.
One assumes the owners baulked at the expense of vet treatment she'd need. Animals with extra limbs or other features don't generally thrive.

It looks like all the four back limbs are on one side so three will have to go, not two.
As you'll know, a three-legged dog can have a good life. We saw one in the park at the weekend frolicking happily. :)

View attachment 70350
Alexis Jones

WHY?

Probably a greedy breeder as you say. Most people wouldn’t buy a puppy like this so dumped for financial reasons.

The pup survived long enough to be dumped and rescued. If it had been discarded soon after it was born it would have died right away. It must have been cared for with the rest of the litter.

Breeders don't waste time and money on runts or poor specimens. I'd've expected Ariel to have been quietly disposed of right away.

The pup survived long enough to be dumped and rescued. If it had been discarded soon after it was born it would have died right away. It must have been cared for with the rest of the litter.

Breeders don't waste time and money on runts or poor specimens. I'd've expected Ariel to have been quietly disposed of right away.
I would suspect a lot of arguing behind the scenes - keeping the dog versus the vet bills that she's going to incur, the poor little mite. And I'd guess the 'other anomalies' aren't exactly minor. So the breeder has probably kept her with her mum (the dog's mum, not the breeder's mum) until it's obvious that nobody is going to take a chance on her. At least they left her somewhere she would be found, not in bushes in some obscure field, so they clearly hoped someone would hand her in to a vet and they wouldn't be liable for the really quite eyewatering costs of her operations.

Better than throwing her in the canal.

More likely an owner facing big bills.

Somebodys looked after this dog to get it so big...and there always seems to be a market for pathetic life forms.
I wonder whether she's been with an owner who could cope with the extra legs but, as it's obvious she's malformed, she's reached an age of maturity where other, presumably internal, malformations need sorting out and the costs were beyond the reach of her owners.

Operating on dogs is quite eye-wateringly expensive. And it's the sort of thing that insurance won't cover, if, indeed, you could insure this pup at all, so someone would have to cough up into the thousands. If they took her on, presuming it was only the legs that were the problem, but are now realising that it could be bladder, hips, spine etc as well - I can almost not blame them. I mean, I can, because dumping an animal is never the answer, but I know from a friend's experience that handing an unwanted animal in anywhere leads to horrific questioning. The RSPCA would probably have just had her put to sleep immediately, so I'd guess they did the best they thought they could.

I wonder whether she's been with an owner who could cope with the extra legs but, as it's obvious she's malformed, she's reached an age of maturity where other, presumably internal, malformations need sorting out and the costs were beyond the reach of her owners.

Operating on dogs is quite eye-wateringly expensive. And it's the sort of thing that insurance won't cover, if, indeed, you could insure this pup at all, so someone would have to cough up into the thousands. If they took her on, presuming it was only the legs that were the problem, but are now realising that it could be bladder, hips, spine etc as well - I can almost not blame them. I mean, I can, because dumping an animal is never the answer, but I know from a friend's experience that handing an unwanted animal in anywhere leads to horrific questioning. The RSPCA would probably have just had her put to sleep immediately, so I'd guess they did the best they thought they could.
I smell an incoming crowdfunding campaign. :twothumbs:

I don't agree with someone just pawning off their pet by abandoning it. Many horrible things could have happened to it.

Responsible owners would have made difficult decisions. If the dog has other health issues due to the deformity, the owner should have had it euthanized, not sent out on its own to try to survive.

This was not done by any responsible owner. Just a selfish person who is more concerned with their feelings than the wellbeing of the dog.

Back