• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Again, At The James Randi Educational Foundation

"Our mathematical skills are assumed to derive from a special ‘mental vacuum state’"

Terrific. I expect if you asked a psychologist to speculate on physics they would be equally insightful;)

Lucianarchy said:
OK, Let's do a little exp here.

All those with psychic powers - focus on Portsmouth at Fratton Park, imagine them playing their best and beating Arsenal. It's not hard to do! :)

:) :) :)

Emperor said:
LA: Its an interesting field of research you are investigating:

http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bdj10/mm/articles/PM.html

and there are clearly other research that are looking into this quantuum/telepathy kind of field. However, I think this thread has probably gone OT far too often and it might be better to start a new thread in Parapsychology on "The Physics of Telepathy", or some such, so we can discuss things properly.

Emps

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=13956

..and here as the thread comes to a close, let me put things into perspective here:

I claim that I am able to replicate (mild) rv/telepathy/psi effect/ whatever.

The significance is presented as highly significant percentage descriptors against non descriptors.

I demonstrated this 'on-line' with a series of examples starting at the JREF, the best place to start.

I showed the effect to Alexius on this board and then on two other occaisions following doubts and the instigation of a protocol.

I contend that this has not been done before on any internet forum.

The forum benefited from some of the most frequently read threads in its history.

The reaction was a mixture of cognitive dissonance, hysteria and outright hostility.

As a result, I was banned. I have still not recieved an answer as to why my posting rights have still not been fully reinstated

I have done nothing other than share and show experiences which are beyond the current understanding of science and defend my own honour when under attack.

I am happy (and indeed encourage all interested people to do so) for people to follow the leads and links here.

There are a couple of things I need to address in there.

Firstly, I don't view the tests run on thread as an exercise in convincing me. I would be surprised if anybody did, as I am really in no sense an arbiter of intellectual taste. I trust folk to view the material for themselves and draw their own conclusions.

Secondly, 'the reaction was a mixture of cognitive dissonance, hysteria and outright hostility'. Indeed, there were touchs of that. But I would say the proceedings were dominated by good humour, wit, tolerance and insight. Once again, it is all there on thread, and folk can judge it for themselves.

The issue seems to be that you have resented your interpretation of events not being adopted as the consensus. Well, that is how it works. But it does not imply hostility; just that we differ.

I believe the ban was imposed because you overstepped the mark - it was not what you said, but how you said it. Still, the ban has been lifted.

Alexius said:
There are a couple of things I need to address in there.

Firstly, I don't view the tests run on thread as an exercise in convincing me. I would be surprised if anybody did, as I am really in no sense an arbiter of intellectual taste. I trust folk to view the material for themselves and draw their own conclusions.

Secondly, 'the reaction was a mixture of cognitive dissonance, hysteria and outright hostility'. Indeed, there were touchs of that. But I would say the proceedings were dominated by good humour, wit, tolerance and insight. Once again, it is all there on thread, and folk can judge it for themselves.

Indeed, and I implore people to read and judge for themselves.

Over 12,000 views during a three week period suggests the audience is wider than the tiny minority of vociferous members of this forum.

I respect your opinion, but the significance can be easily measured by anyone using the scientific method, as I have described over at the FTMBRVE thread. ' Let the Data speak for itself.'

In respect of my banning, I can tell you that I can still no longer edit my posts, which, given what you say, is not a very positive means for trying to keep things cool.

Lucianarchy said:
In respect of my banning, I can tell you that I can still no longer edit my posts, which, given what you say, is not a very positive means for trying to keep things cool.

Just means you have to get it right first time :) Write once, re-read three times, have a think, edit - then post.

I would hardly describe the folk who have actively participated as 'vociferous'. The majority have been generous & equable.

It has indeed been a popular series of threads, and for my part I hope that

a) sufficient interest remains that we can continue

&

b) readers feel inspired to try their own hand

& of course

c) it has been enjoyable

If that has been achieved, I read it as a success.

As for the proceedings worth in resolving a contentious issue, I leave it to readers to decide for themselves. My evaluation can be found scattered over the threads.

Meanderer said:
Just means you have to get it right first time :) Write once, re-read three times, have a think, edit - then post.

I think you might be right. I just don't understand the need for the inequality being imposed. :confused:

Alexius said:
It has indeed been a popular series of threads, and for my part I hope that

Well I've been reading this thread because I'm a shameless rubbernecker and it beats reality TV.;)

Alexius said:
My evaluation can be found scattered over the threads.

And mine can be found in the data I provided during the developments.

I think that placing my prediction side by side with Lucian's should put into persepective any claims of significance.

Originally posted by lordshiva

Irrational Ian (JREF), by the way - I'm a Tees Valleyite too if you're looking in on this! Hello!

:confused: Is this meant to be antagonistic towards me?? I'm not a skeptic.

Only just seen this so sorry for responding so late.

lordshiva said:
Ooops - sorry Ian. No insult intended (very strange typo though). I agree with you on the neighbourhood thing too.

Ah right . . . hmmmm

"I claim that I am able to replicate (mild) rv/telepathy/psi effect/ whatever."

What would it take to disprove this claim?

"The reaction was a mixture of cognitive dissonance, hysteria and outright hostility. As a result, I was banned."

I don't think it was other people's cognitive dissonace, hysteria and hostility that caused your ban.
If you can't see this, then you will never be able to see why others do not accept your claims, as the two are linked.

Lucianarchy,

..and here as the thread comes to a close, let me put things into perspective here:

Oh this outa be good…lol

I claim that I am able to replicate (mild) rv/telepathy/psi effect/ whatever.

A claim as wildly unsubstantiated as could be imagined…

The significance is presented as highly significant percentage descriptors against non descriptors.

Eh…

I demonstrated this 'on-line' with a series of examples starting at the JREF, the best place to start.

Oh now that is PRICELESS.. what examples.. the “ladybrook” and “Feb the 14th” predictions. … I am starting to wonder about your sanity Luci, if you think those stand up as examples.

I showed the effect to Alexius on this board and then on two other occaisions following doubts and the instigation of a protocol.

Well Alexius is someone who makes sense .. maybe he can explain what this means ?

I contend that this has not been done before on any internet forum.

And still not by you..lol

The forum benefited from some of the most frequently read threads in its history.

Luci you seem to have some puffed up view of the amount of interest you generate.. maybe like a car wreck you do get a few ghouls looking in .. but otherwise…

The reaction was a mixture of cognitive dissonance, hysteria and outright hostility.

As opposed to how most people saw it as.. discussion, debunking and outright amusement.

As a result, I was banned. I have still not recieved an answer as to why my posting rights have still not been fully reinstated

I believe you were banned for doing something you were warned not to do..

I have done nothing other than share and show experiences which are beyond the current understanding of science and defend my own honour when under attack.

I won’t call you an out and out liar as that requires pre meditation and I think you are so deluded as to actually think you are telling the truth.. but reality is a LONG way from your version of events.

I am happy (and indeed encourage all interested people to do so) for people to follow the leads and links here

Why.. they don’t make you stand out in a very good light !

Communing with the dead there, Aussie old chap? They'll take your 'rod of iron' away from you. :D

[edit] oh yes, Welcome back... sorely missed... usual sentimental gumph... *hearty hand shake*

Hugo Cornwall said:
Communing with the dead there, Aussie old chap? They'll take your 'rod of iron' away from you. :D
Has Spongebob missed the bus, again? :p

First online FTMB seance ;)

And welcome back :)

Actually, everything that can be said about that affair has been said (sometimes at least five or six times) so there is nothing further to add from this end. The material is on the relevent threads.

Which will make for a long & weary read - but such is life.

you missed painful... I've left plenty of testimony to me being a complete arse in there... My own small monument to the stupidity of succumbing to temper and pique. When I'm feeling particularly smug I go back and read it... more use than some sweaty slave whispering 'mento mori' in my ear....

Oh yes...I think we had all entered the Arena of the Unwell by the end of it :)

Hugo,

Communing with the dead there, Aussie old chap? They'll take your 'rod of iron' away from you.

[edit] oh yes, Welcome back... sorely missed... usual sentimental gumph... *hearty hand shake

I haven’t actually been away.. probably lurking more than anything else… generally you guys do a pretty good job of “questioning” the weirdest claims anyway !

Alexius…

Did you “test” Lucianarchy in some way that convinced you he/she/it has some “real” psi power (lol.. sorry I just can’t help laughing when I say that)

Actually no, nothing of consequence.

So why did you suddenly start addressing LA, who to my knowledge is banned and remains banned like he/she is, or they are, here?

I suspect that AT is asking, because Luci has claimed on at least two other messageboards to have had his/her RVing powers tested by The Fortean Times.

Tested, yes... failed also then started trolling, hence the ban.

I think the creature is largely delusional, although with the determination of Herpes, just not as welcome when you get a new out break.

If he/she is / they are referring folks here...

:hello: Lucianarchy was tested and found wanting :hello:

Aussie Thinker said:
Did you “test” Lucianarchy in some way that convinced you he/she/it has some “real” psi power (lol.. sorry I just can’t help laughing when I say that)

I do find it amusing that LA always said you should let the results speak for themselves and then proceeded to go around touting them as clear evidence of their psychic powers. For anyone who is interested the results are there and, as my look-a-likie Professor Denzil Dexter of the University of Southern California said, "The results were disappointing". The best they scored was an interesting but of unknow signifcance as it was so vague.

And as they are now banned you will have to wait a while for them to get back to you on your aboce replies ;)

Emps

As Emps said - a string of informal tests that failed to show anything substantial. One or two things were interesting, enough to pique interest and justify following up; but nothing there constituted proof.

It also ought to be said that LA was most certainly not tested by 'The Fortean Times'. Rather, he participated in an improvised online experiment concocted by members of the message board. As very well he knows.

To parade his performance here as in some way edifying is sad enough - but to claim to have been validated by the magazine (if he has in fact made that claim) is just charlantry.

As Hugo put it, oh curious browsers from other boards (and welcome, by the way :) ), his performance was something less than Geller ;)

Here is something weird

This thread shows a message from LA only a couple of pages back (admittedly from March).. the thread is also only 26 pages long (although it depends on how many pages your PC shows.

Hence my weird response to the Ghost of LA.

I cannot now find the “same” thread that went to 36 Pages and finished with GL etc talking about pre-birth memories etc.

Is this some paranormal thread problem ?

Back