• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Go Grannies Go! They showed council where to get off!

A group of Russian grandmothers grew so tired of waiting for the local authorities to fix their road that they hired the necessary equipment and did the job themselves, it's reported.

After being told by officials that the pothole-covered road through the village of Svedniy Bugalish in the Urals was "fine", the group took up shovels and wheelbarrows and seemingly put the local authority to shame, Rossiya 24 news channel says.

According to Urals-based Ura.ru website, the group - including a 90-year-old babushka - chipped in 500 roubles ($8.50; £6.50) each for a truckload of gravel and set to work with the help of two men.

Pictures posted by popular tabloid Komsomolskaya Pravda before they started work show the extent of their challenge, with pools of water lying in the road through their village. ..

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-41107836

A definite case of growing old disgracefully here. Hate to think what they were like when younger. :omr:

Staff and guests were forced to flee after two "out of control" pensioners rampaged through a Highland Perthshire resort hotel, a court heard.

Robert Fergus, 72, ran naked with a pair of scissors in the public reception of the MacDonald Loch Rannoch Hotel and smashed a glass pane.

His wife Ruth, 69, threatened to shoot a staff member after "reacting badly" to the alcohol she consumed earlier.

The couple were fined £4,100 at Perth Sheriff Court.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-41122909

I love it!

DH9SRdNUAAEwsV0.jpg

Creepy old fucker

Still outstanding in his own field.

For Edward Dowse, competing in the National Ploughing Championships at the age of 85 is something of an act of thanksgiving.

It is, in no small part, to give thanks for the good health that allows him to represent Wicklow in a long-running competition when so many of his contemporaries have passed away.

He takes out a photograph taken in 1953. It shows him competing in the national championships in February of that year in Mullingar. He became the first youngster to win the under-21 category twice, at a time when horse rather than tractor ploughing was the most competitive category.

He competed again in 1954 and then gave up horse ploughing for decades. He won two national championships with a tractor in the 1960s.

For most of his life he farmed 160 acres in Kilcavan outside Carnew in Co Wicklow, some of it in tillage, the rest in cattle and sheep. ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ire...ld-plough-master-embodies-tradition-1.3229522

mean-grandma-425x265.jpg

A GRANDMOTHER has ‘pimped out’ her kitchen pantry to make it into a full-on Nan Cave all the other pensioners in the crescent are jealous of.

88-year-old Mary Fisher decided to turn her pantry into a room focused on herself and her interests because she only has one life and does not want to end it holding no cheddar.

She said: “I’ve got YOLO up on the wall, done in cross-stitch, to remind everyone that’s how I live, next to a framed photograph of a Bourbon biscuit I found on Instagram.

“There’s a 65-inch flatscreen showing all the greats – Bargain Hunt, The Forsyte Saga, Take The High Road – and I’ve got a three-speed, four-action rocker there. Take it for a spin if you want.

“On that shelf there’s my golliwogs, which aren’t racist, and in this drawer there are 135 different pairs of reading glasses, right next to copies of the People’s Friend dating back to 1993.

“You church hall bitches can’t handle my swag. Fisher out.”

Husband Norman Fisher said: “Well, I’ve fitted six-by-nine inch Rockford Fosgate speakers to my lawnmower. You best believe the hood going to roar.”

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/...antry-into-pimped-out-nan-cave-20170921136260

maximus otter

Back when Irish horse trainer Peter Casey told us all he was going to have sex tonight then did a radio interview from his bed with his wife there the morning afterwards .. good lad ..

Haha thanks guys...I always take leave around my birthday. In fact, I don't think anyone should work on their birthday.

Vote Carlos!

Seriously, I've done nothing of use today, it's been great. Other than planning for the main event.. ...MrsCarlos is 50 next week.

(Yes I'm a toyboy)

Silly old sod.

German police find 'WW2 bomb' was big courgette

_98603671_gerpolzucchini.jpg

Police agreed with the elderly man that the vegetable looked like a bomb.

A German man feared a monster courgette he found in his garden was an unexploded World War Two bomb and called the police.

The 5kg (11-pound) courgette had probably been thrown over a hedge into the 81 year old's garden, police said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41857694

Why are people throwing huge courgettes into old people's gardens? Is that a German thing?

Also I've put it in big font so the old codgers can read it.

... I always take leave around my birthday. In fact, I don't think anyone should work on their birthday. ...
Same here ... I recently attained my full retirement age (66) and simultaneously achieved my long-sought objective of having never worked on my birthday. I've been criticized, mocked, and even sanctioned for evading the workaday world on my sole personal holiday, but now I can say I've traversed the span of an entire working life without breaking the rule that this one day is my day - period ...

Silly old sod.

German police find 'WW2 bomb' was big courgette

_98603671_gerpolzucchini.jpg

Police agreed with the elderly man that the vegetable looked like a bomb.

A German man feared a monster courgette he found in his garden was an unexploded World War Two bomb and called the police.

The 5kg (11-pound) courgette had probably been thrown over a hedge into the 81 year old's garden, police said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41857694

Why are people throwing huge courgettes into old people's gardens? Is that a German thing?

Also I've put it in big font so the old codgers can read it.

Not just German, an old geezer in England had this bomb sent to him.

23131971_125994028166287_5775059622552453193_n.jpg

I recently attained my full retirement age (66) and simultaneously achieved my long-sought objective of having never worked on my birthday.

I don't want to get all maths-y on you, but - strictly speaking - you achieved that objective every year.

maximus otter

Last edited:
Back