• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
rynner said:
Gunnlod said:
Although as I get older I do find I apprecate Dylan more and more, And still feel kind of bitter towards the boomers for putting me off him in my youth But I was so much older then....
..I'm younger than that now!

In some ways you do get younger as you get older.

You realise which attitudes are just pointless posing and reject them, which usually means returning to simpler, more innocent ideas.

I sometimes wish I hadn't taken things so bloody seriously when I was younger. And I wish I was as certain of just one thing now as I was about every thing then :lol:

Now that I have teenagers, I often think of what Mark Twain wrote about how he left home as a teenager knowing his father was a fool and was astonished when he returned 5 years later to see how much the old boy had learned in the intervening years.

Stripper for 102nd birthday party

Staff at a home for the elderly organised an unlikely present for a resident's 102nd birthday - a stripper.
The Nunnery in Diss, Norfolk, arranged the surprise for Gwen Dorling's birthday on Monday.

The male stripper was ordered after Mrs Dorling said she would have liked one for her 100th birthday.

A spokeswoman for the home said: "She had a wonderful time and enjoyed every minute of it. She says she would like two strippers next year."

Helping Mrs Dorling celebrate were her son Peter Dunn, 76, two of her three granddaughters and one of her three great granddaughters.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/5275506.stm

:D :D :D

TAKE A DAY OFF WORK ..AFTER ALL IT IS YOUR 100TH BIRTHDAY
By Bobby Stansfield
BUSTER Martin was ordered to take today off work by his boss - to celebrate his HUNDREDTH birthday.

And the man thought to be Britain's oldest worker hopes to carry on until he is 125.

Buster planned to mark the milestone with a pint at his local but colleagues have arranged a VIP tour of Chelsea's Stamford Bridge stadium, where he will be presented with a shirt with "Buster 100" on the back.

He has already retired once - three years ago when he gave up working on market stalls. But after three months he got bored with "too much time on my hands". And at 97 he found a part-time job as mechanic and valeter, helping maintain 100 vans for a plumbing firm in Pimlico, London.

Buster said: "Boredom is a big killer. I went back to work as I like to keep active. If I didn't work I would become the most miserable sod you have ever come across so I don't want to stop working."

Widower Buster, who has 17 children and more than 70 grandchildren and great-grandchildren, lives in sheltered accommodation in Lambeth and still does his own cooking and cleaning.

The only modern technology in his flat is a TV. He said: "I have never owned a phone - they are a bloody nuisance. I hate them."

Boss Charlie Mullins said: "We have quite a few old workers as I see experience as an asset. I know I'll never see a dirty van with Buster on the case."

Colleague Eric Headley - only 74 - said: "I won't still be here in 20 years but I think Buster will be."

DO you know an older worker? Call our news desk on 020 7293 3831. Don't worry about the cost, we'll phone straight back.

[email protected].
http://tinyurl.com/h8s9d

I've lived about three-quarters of my life during the Cold War, the nuclear stand-off between the West and the old USSR.

So it was somehow disconcerting to hear "On Your Farm" this morning (BBC R4), which was about an English farmer who now owns and runs a huge farm in Russia. He seems to be settling in there, and helping to revive Russian agriculture (which has been in a slump), and most of his crops will produce bread and beer, etc, for the local area. (Apparently Russia has had to import much of the food it needs, despite having the land to grow it themselves.)

Once upon a time it was only James Bond who ever went to Russia!

There'll be more on this in Countryfile (BBC1, 1100 today), for those interested:
John Craven and Miriam O'Reilly head for Strangford Lough in Northern Ireland to find out what makes it one of the most important marine sites in Europe. Adam Henson is in Russia meeting a pioneering British farmer who's turned around his fortunes, and that of locals, on an epic scale. Ben Fogle discovers how 100 years of aerial mapping has helped us understand the changing face of the British landscape. Including Weather for the Week Ahead.
I shall also watch this because I sailed into Strangford Loch 30 years ago (where did the time go...?), and I hope they will show the big whirlpool that forms in the narrow entrance on the incoming and outgoing tides!

On the subject of ageing and approaching death, let's make one of those Hellfire-type pacts where we appear to each other after we're dead. :D

I once made such a pact, and the other person died, and... :shock:

Great fun. 8)

So if anyone would like a mooning from beyond the grave, I can accept bookings for a limited period only.

Mods have automatic reservations, of course. ;)

escargot1 said:
So if anyone would like a mooning from beyond the grave, I can accept bookings for a limited period only.

Mods have automatic reservations, of course. ;)
I intend to haunt the message board, and leave posts that the Mods can't move, edit or delete! :twisted:

escargot1 said:
Will it be a disembodied moon, like a bare arse floating over the wardrobe?
bootyshake.gif

Depends on how much energy I can muster in my astral form. The minimum service will probably be a balloon-like manifestation of a floating posterior, possibly bottom-lit.

Certain spiritual environments may be favourable to a full-on, more traditional mooning, complete with lowering of ectoplasmic kegs.

Ageism anyone?

After walking the Great Wall of China and making plans for a trip to Russia, Shirley Greening-Jackson thought signing up for a new internet service would be a doddle.

But the young man behind the counter had other ideas. He said she was barred - because she was too old.

The 75-year-old would only be allowed to sign the forms for the Carphone Warehouse's TalkTalk phone and broadband package if she was accompanied by a younger member of her family who could explain the small print to her.

Mrs Greening-Jackson, who sits on the board of several charities, said: "I was absolutely furious. The young man said, 'Sorry, you're over 70. It's company policy. We don't sign anyone up who is over 70.'

Source

:wtf:

The title of the thread just below this one is making me feel very old, what the hell is Uber cool. Isn't cool not good enough for you young wippersnappers anymore......

Nope. The ungrateful little sods even changed the spelling to Whippersnapper. ;)

Ooops :oops:

Damn senility losing 'h's today, trousers tomorrow then where will i be.

I started this thread with the demolition of Goonhilly 2 (which I worked on).
Now it seems that the whole Earth Station might be closed, or drastically cut down:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/5338622.stm

Strange to think that something that was unthought of when I was born (except perhaps by Arthur C Clarke), should have been created, grown to maturity, and commenced its slide into technological oblivion all within my lifetime.

An important part of technological history, come and gone in a moment, it seems.

Yeah but not to worry Ryn, at least the pyramids are older than you! :)

Stage set for age employment laws

One of the most important changes in UK employment law for many years starts on 1 October.
The new rules will outlaw age discrimination in employment and vocational training.

They will be just as important as the laws outlawing discrimination on grounds of race, sex, disability, religion and sexual orientation.

But so far remarkably little official publicity has been given to the impending changes.

Wide ranging changes

The new laws - the Employment Equality (Age) Regulations 2006 - are coming in as a result of the government's obligation to adopt a European directive on employment.

Older workers sceptical about new ageism law

The rules will have an impact on recruitment, training, promotion, redundancy, retirement, pay and pension provision.

Out will go phrases in adverts seeking "enthusiastic young staff" or "mature individuals".

And recruitment schemes aimed at graduates will have to be changed while sifting job applications by age must also end.

"I think most employers are aware of the new laws but very few are clued up or geared up - most seem to have a 'suck it and see' approach," says Tom Bray, an employment lawyer with the Cardiff legal firm Berry Smith.

Any employer which has a standard retirement age of 60 will now have to get to grips with a very important fact.

From now on their staff will have a right to stay on at work until 65, even if the company's pension scheme still keeps a formal payout age of 60.

For millions of workers who stay fit and healthy as they approach 60, there will be the tantalising possibility that they may be able to work on and take their pension simultaneously.

So in their final years they could earn more than at any other stage of their careers.

Exceptions

The new laws do provide some get-out clauses for employers but they are fairly tough.

Bar staff will still need to be at least 18 years old

An employer may be able to keep on with an apparently discriminatory policy if they can come up with what is called an "objective justification".

That in itself is not actually defined by the new laws, but employers will have to show that they are pursuing a legitimate business aim and that what they are doing is a proportionate way of achieving that aim.

The other main justification is that there is a genuine occupational requirement.

Good examples are bar staff, who legally must be aged at least 18 to serve alcohol, and pilots, who in many parts of Europe are not allowed to keep on flying once they are over 60.

The only categories of staff who are exempt from the laws are those in the armed forces and unpaid volunteers.

Employment tribunals

From now on, anyone who feels they have suffered because of their age will be able to take a case to an employment tribunal, where the penalty will be an unlimited fine.

Some employers fear they will face many more tribunal cases.

A recent survey by the Employers Forum on Ageing found that 40% of employers in the UK think that once the new laws come in, age discrimination will be a feature of more than half of tribunal cases.

Despite the attention given to older people being forced out of the workforce, the laws will apply just as much to young people.

Dumping the youngest workers into the lowest paid jobs while they are allegedly "learning" could be challenged.

Pensions

Not all of the government's plans are being implemented in one go.

It recently decided to postpone until the start of December the changes that will be required by pension funds.

There will now be a further period of consultation before new guidance is published and the pension element of the new laws comes into effect.

And there could be some unintended consequences for other benefits offered by employers.

For instance, those who offer benefits like health or life insurance up to a current retirement age of 60 may find they are now charged much more by insurance firms to cover their staff to 65.

"All employers who offer any protection benefits for their staff will have to make sure the schemes are written to 65 or they could end up denying benefits to older workers," says Peter Coussens, of financial advisers Kynaston-Carnoustie.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5367990.stm
Sadly for me, I don't have any pension to look forward to... :(

Yesterday I had the day off (to meet my local MP).

This meant I was able to attend the weekly coffee morning in the place where I now live.

It was attended by a load of Old People....

There was a raffle - I won a tin of kidney beans.

And I wondered....

WTF am I doing here?! :shock:

[This post is a public information service for the benefit of people short on imagination - sooner or later, this sort of thing (or worse) will happen to you! 8) ]

rynner said:
WTF am I doing here?! :shock:

Well, many of us have been wondering that, rynner. From reading your posts, my husband (who lurks in this forum, too) thought you were quite a bright young person.

Yes, you have an agile mind, Rynner, and I was very surprised to find out your age. You seem much younger.

I hope this new legislation will allow people to carry on being employed past 65. Also, I hope it stops the kind of age discrimination I've faced from employers and, particularly, agencies (even at my young age of 45).
Sadly though, I think it won't change much. Employers will always find some way around it. :(

A stand-up comic on TV had a good one-liner:

Inside every old person is a young person saying "What happened?!"

I may have mentioned that before - but then old people do tend to repeat themselves...!

rynner wrote:
There was a raffle - I won a tin of kidney beans.

And I wondered....

WTF am I doing here?!

rofl :lol: :lol:

thank you rynner - my first real laugh of the week(end) - things can only get better...

rynner said:
I won a tin of kidney beans.

Sorry...I think "kidney beans" must be something different in the U.K. than they are here, otherwise you wouldn't have "won" some. ?

Back