• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Federal prosecutors want to seize about $10,000 from the prison account of 98-year-old ex-mobster they say boasted about killing 60 people in his life.

John "Sonny" Franzese's son Michael tells the Daily News (http://nydn.us/1jWiG1o ) his father needs the money to buy eye drops, soup and sometimes ice cream. He says family members have put up the cash.

Sonny Franzese was convicted of extorting a strip club while he was underboss of the Colombo crime family. He's at a Federal Medical Center in Massachusetts.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/feds-aim-to-seize-dollar10k-from-geriatric-gangster/ar-BBnvrSY"

On Friday nights for three years, they met over pints at the Castle, a pub in Islington, in North London. The four men were getting on in years, but they were not there just to talk about retirement plans or the aches and pains of aging.

Experienced thieves with long criminal records, they had something far more pressing in mind: an audacious, career-topping heist they boasted the world would never forget.

The operation, meticulously plotted over three years — with the help, the police would later find out, of the book “Forensics for Dummies” — was finally set in motion the Thursday before Easter this year, as Brian Reader, the ruddy-faced ringleader whom the others called “the Master,” boarded the No. 96 bus near his home in Dartford, Kent.

Mr. Reader, 76, swiped his free travel pass for seniors and began the 80-minute journey to Hatton Garden, for centuries the center of London’s jewelry trade. By early evening, Mr. Reader reached an inconspicuous, seven-floor building on the handsome, manicured street. A large plaque outside read: Hatton Garden Safe Deposit Ltd.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...away-with-a-record-heist-in-london/ar-BBntpLe

They would have gotten away with it, if it hadn't been for those meddling kids...

Having a routine blood test for insurance purposes and then having my Blood Pressure checked. 200/125. The nurse is like "maybe you should get that checked out". I'm like "maybe I should".

Bloods done and I'm now on tablets for the rest of my life and I've got to cut down my love affair with beer and wine :(

I actually don't mind the idea of dropping dead from a heart attack even if I wasn't that old. (I'm in my forties). It's the idea of having a stroke that scares me.

Death is fine as it's a truly Fortean experience and I could go and have an epic journey searching for Inca my cat like a middle aged, overweight Orpheus, (I can hold a tune though).

Anyhow the wife has agreed to cart me off to a Switzerland clinic should I have a stroke or something similar.

Also I've made the wife promise that if anything does happen to me I'll get her to post it on here. Hint, Hint Rynner???

Possibly the fear of a stroke is greater than the fear of cancer in us OAP's -and of course there's the fear of developing Alzheimer's.
I'm on blood pressure medicine, and my dad had what was called 'Senile Dementia' back in the '70's, but then again something has got to get all of us in the end!

Possibly the fear of a stroke is greater than the fear of cancer in us OAP's -and of course there's the fear of developing Alzheimer's.
I'm on blood pressure medicine, and my dad had what was called 'Senile Dementia' back in the '70's, but then again something has got to get all of us in the end!

Don't mind going senile, it depends though I found that people who are happy and nice in life tend to develop into nicely senile people and those who are bastards tend to be unhappy, frightened bastards when demented.

Cancer is a no no too.

Nah a heart attack for me please with any luck it will involve a buxom women bouncing up and down on me.

People interested in this role please apply in writing stating why you think you should be considered for the position.

Also I've made the wife promise that if anything does happen to me I'll get her to post it on here. Hint, Hint Rynner???
Sadly, I don't have anyone who could do that. In fact, my most computer-savvy acquaintance may well be on his way out himself. I last saw him after a long gap when he had been in hospital. And today I learn from a council newsletter that he's resigned from a Tenants committee he was on, and been replaced, which doesn't sound like good news.

Another acquaintance I had is now suffering from dementia. My brother and daughter seem to be distancing themselves from me, and nobody else that I know around here is computer-literate.

Sadly, I don't have anyone who could do that. In fact, my most computer-savvy acquaintance may well be on his way out himself. I last saw him after a long gap when he had been in hospital. And today I learn from a council newsletter that he's resigned from a Tenants committee he was on, and been replaced, which doesn't sound like good news.

Another acquaintance I had is now suffering from dementia. My brother and daughter seem to be distancing themselves from me, and nobody else that I know around here is computer-literate.

grrrrrr

Mods can we have a strangle Rynner smilie please?

People interested in this role please apply in writing stating why you think you should be considered for the position.

:D Please sir done it for real!

Only with a woman. And she died. :(

You bounced up and down on top of a women and she died?

strictly speaking, yes. But I used to work in a care home and one of the ladies collapsed. We did CPR until the ambulance came (supervised by Sister!) but she'd gone :(

I'm not going to get the job am I? :oops:

strictly speaking, yes. But I used to work in a care home and one of the ladies collapsed. We did CPR until the ambulance came (supervised by Sister!) but she'd gone :(

I'm not going to get the job am I? :oops:

Sorry to read that. I've been in a couple of incidents like that, also resulted in both people dying and it stay with you forever even though there is nothing you could have done.

the job - depends, do you have any photographs to go with your resume?

I've been in a couple of incidents like that, also resulted in both people dying and it stay with you forever even though there is nothing you could have done.

I didn't find that. Did that sort of work for years and cared for dying people, was there at deaths and assisted in unsuccessful resuscitations, and slept peacefully after every one. Some people in those situations are there to die, not to go home. It's just work.

I didn't find that. Did that sort of work for years and cared for dying people, was there at deaths and assisted in unsuccessful resuscitations, and slept peacefully after every one. Some people in those situations are there to die, not to go home. It's just work.

Mine were not elderly mine were in the prime of their lives, both on the road.

chick.jpg
Nah chicks frollocking around in the nuddy surrounded by nature!

Does feathers count as nuddy? maybe it's like a brazilian wax situation......

what with this and the owls thread, there is a positively avian feel to this evening.

Mine were not elderly mine were in the prime of their lives, both on the road.

I was there at the deaths of younger people too. It didn't upset me. I'd feel sad for a while but, y'know, it's their family's job to grieve, not mine.

Walton-on-the-Naze 'shooting': Woman dies in care home

A woman believed to be in her 80s has died after apparently being shot by a fellow resident at a care home in Essex, police have said.
Police have begun a murder inquiry and a man has been arrested on suspicion of murder.
Police said the victim and the alleged assailant were residents in the home.

Officers were called to De La Mer House care home in Naze Park Road, Walton-on-the-Naze, at about 09:00 GMT after reports a woman was seriously injured.
DCI Simon Werrett said: "At this stage we are not looking for anyone else in connection with the investigation and our inquiries are ongoing."
The premises are being guarded while forensic searches are conducted.

Nearby resident and retired financial adviser John Knights said security was tight at the care home.
He said: "My mother had to go into De La Mer about two years ago, and I can tell you that it was quite tricky to get in and out of there.
"You couldn't just go up to the building and get in. You needed a security code to get in. It had electronic key pads on the door, so to get inside you needed to know those."

A spokeswoman for the care home said there would be no comment until staff had spoken to police.

Douglas Carswell, the UKIP MP for the area, said he was "very shocked".
He said: "If you have got a loved one in a care home, you expect them to be safe. Walton-on-the-Naze is supposed to be one of the most peaceful and tranquil places there is. Of all the places you expect this to happen, this is the last."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35189664

I used to know that area, and I agree with what the MP says - a very quiet, genteel place.
And when you're in your 80s you have to expect the grim reaper to call one day - but not in the guise of another resident with a gun! Police are treating it as murder, so it will be interesting to hear the full story.

TBH, the thought of ending up in a building with a load of coffin dodgers fills me with dread. Add the security measures mentioned, well, if I were to be kept under lock and key, might as well be kept for a reason.

Back