• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
It says Fly A Spitfire on his helmet. They fly those two seaters out of Biggin Hill.

ETA - This is from a report by AP.
Barry Hughes, a pilot who accompanied Hemmings in the aircraft, said the veteran had a “natural touch.”

“He didn’t need any instruction really. He just took control, flown us around, made some turnings and basic maneuvers,” Hughes said. “I think he really enjoyed every single moment of the flight.”

Just got my first (early) hospital pension cheque this month. Not retired per se, but I get no extra bonus for waiting to collect at a later age.

Then, I happened to go into a store last Monday, and it was seniors' day. So two firsts this month for being officially old.:hahazebs:

A couple of the women in my swimming group are in their 80s which I am very impressed by. Both of them just plunge straight in and stick their heads under, even in January/February which is impressive at any age. I take about a minute to get my breath under control. I just found out today that the man in the group is 70 which surprised me as he looks a look younger. Swimming obviously keeps people youthful.

MrsF just came back from her parents' house.

Dad; We saw Mrs Smith in town the other day.
Mother; No we didn't.
Dad; Yes we did.
Mother; No- we didn't.
Dad; We did.
Mother; Oh that Mrs Smith. I thought you meant the other one.
Reminds me of conversations with my Mum.
She starts talking about someone ("Sue" or "Len" or whatever). I have to ask, which one? She knows about 25000 people.

Reminds me of conversations with my Mum.
She starts talking about someone ("Sue" or "Len" or whatever). I have to ask, which one? She knows about 25000 people.
MrsF will end up the same I reckon.

She once said to me;

MF; Guess who's died? You'll never guess.
Me; Looking bewildered.
MF; I'll give you a clue- someone famous.
Me; Oh, well, that's narrowed it down, I'll have this case wrapped up in no time.

Well, I get quiet satisfaction when I hear the age of some of the old geezers in t'local and realise I'm older but (IMO) have lasted a bit better.
Techy recently went to the funeral of an old friend, a former bandmate, and was shocked at how frazzled most of the mourners looked.
They on the other hand were stunned because he was so hale and hearty. :cool:

As he walked in, heads turned and someone said 'The return of the Warlock!' :chuckle:

He hadn't really wanted to go but I persuaded him, saying it'd be a nice meet-up for all the gang and he'd have fun.
All this came about and he's now back in touch with the pals of his youth. :bthumbup:

Well, I get quiet satisfaction when I hear the age of some of the old geezers in t'local and realise I'm older but (IMO) have lasted a bit better.
I'm surrounded by blokes my age who look like they've been working down the pit all their lives then someone mistook me for being in my late 30's a few months ago. I can only put it down to being a lazy bastard who's avoided hard work all my life until I absolutely have to. That and alcohol so I've pickled myself.

Last edited:
I am 78 and take 7 medicines and feel like “ crap “ at times.

I wonder what the average age of the people who post on this website ?
I'm 70 C.B., take 3 medications and need half an hour to get up to speed straight out of bed.

It's me back, see...as a young'n it was no problem to throw cwt bags of grain up onto my shoulders, or lift and carry a final drive to the tractor that I was assembling, rather than wait for the OH crane, also, lift 57 litre drums of oil into the back of the Ute.

Then the pièce de résistance was tearing the ligaments in my knee...'cause I use me knees to lift.

Which buggered my job as a Field Fitter, so they stuck me in the library on light duties ('scuse me while I larf an' larf), where my back went out - good and proper.

Any road up, I, at one time, was a force of nature...and it's nice to remember that.

I can still dig me veggie garden though, and I've got Medically supplied Kiff in the fridge, for when I so desire - so life ain't bad at all.

I'm 70 C.B., take 3 medications and need half an hour to get up to speed straight out of bed.

It's me back, see...as a young'n it was no problem to throw cwt bags of grain up onto my shoulders, or lift and carry a final drive to the tractor that I was assembling, rather than wait for the OH crane, also, lift 57 litre drums of oil into the back of the Ute.

Then the pièce de résistance was tearing the ligaments in my knee...'cause I use me knees to lift.

Which buggered my job as a Field Fitter, so they stuck me in the library on light duties ('scuse me while I larf an' larf), where my back went out - good and proper.

Any road up, I, at one time, was a force of nature...and it's nice to remember that.

I can still dig me veggie garden though, and I've got Medically supplied Kiff in the fridge, for when I so desire - so life ain't bad at all.
This is where you went wrong, you should have been a lazy bastard like me except then you might have been a 'repeater' with kidney stones instead so I suppose something gets all of us in the end. You'd probably still beat me in an arm wrestling contest though if that's any consolation and you've got 20 years on me. I take 4 medications and it takes me about 10 minutes to get out of bed.

My father is about the same age as you.

He messaged me yesterday to say that after a few days of difficulty he had gone to hospital.

A scan revealed he has torn ligaments in his knee.

Q) How the hell did you do that?
A) Jumping off a stage.

I have had no success in telling him he's not middle-aged any longer.

I'm surrounded by blokes my age who look like they've been working down the pit all their lives then someone mistook me for being in my late 30's a few months ago. I can only put it down to being a lazy bastard who's avoided hard work all my life until I absolutely have to. That and alcohol so I've pickled myself.

:twothumbs::hoff:

maximus otter

I'm 60 and have been reliably told I've aged very well.
Looking around, seeing others of my age, I'm actually surprised. Considering past stupidity, hazardous activities, consumption of different substances, food, and drink - especially the latter - I'm genuinely surprised that I've done well to get this far. Sure, I'm getting creaks and cracks which are to be expected with a machine that can only run down, but I'm still active, can walk for miles etc. and my body can't 'cash the cheques' that my mind is writing, but I'm healthier than a lot of folks.
A group of visitors were in the pub yesterday, one was walking incredibly painfully and slowly. When asked, he pointed out that they'd just come from a snow-boarding holiday. He was 70! Not commenting on his looks but if that's the resulting mobility issues of such a risky activity, I'll go back to reading books in the corner of a pub, thankyerverymuch!

When I was in my 20s, I took a washing machine to my girfriend's mothers house.
When I collected it, I squatted down, wrapped my arms around it and in one fell swoop lifted it in through the side door of the van.

I got arm ache the other day, holding an onion up for 5 seconds while checking the quality of it.

Still going strong at 108.

Havant Second World War veteran celebrates turning 108​

Eric Moore Eric Moore
Eric Moore
Mr Moore said one of the secrets to his long life was to avoid stress

A war veteran has celebrated turning 108 surrounded by his family.

Francis Eric Moore, from Portsmouth, is now believed to be the eighth oldest man in the UK. Mr Moore celebrated his birthday with his four grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren and one great-great granddaughter. He was born in 1916, when George V was king and has lived through five different monarchs.

His granddaughter Petra organised a party, with special appearances from former Portsmouth goalkeeper Alan Knight and the mayor of Havant, Rosy Raines.

Mayor Raines described Mr Moore as "amazing" after meeting him and his family at the birthday party.

Eric Moore 1942 wedding photograph
Eric Moore
Evelyn and Eric Moore were married in Egypt in 1942

Mr Moore served in the army during the Second World War, where he gained the nickname Pony. During his service, Mr Moore spent time in Palestine, in an RAF dental hospital in Tel Aviv, and eight years in Egypt as a lance corporal. It was at the beginning of World War II, while based in the Mustafa barracks in Alexandria, that he met his wife Evelyn, while she was posted there to work as a typist and who sang to the troops.

Eric Moore Eric and Evelyn Moore
Eric Moore
Eric and Evelyn Moore celebrating their 78th wedding anniversary in 2020

Mr Moore said she had a "beautiful voice" and they got married in 1942, before having two daughters, Carole and Sue. Evelyn died in 2020 at the age of 97.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-68544742

I'm 60, just. I have coworkers who are early 30's to early 40's who will sit and complain -to me! - that they are too sore to do (fill in the blank) at work.

My job is fairly strenuous with pushing wheelchairs and using mechanical lifts and bringing in groceries but we don't lift heavy things nor run marathons.

My mid back and lateral back muscles are usually sore because of the mostly upper body work, but rarely do I ever sit and say that I'm too sore to work.

I can't imagine how these people will cope at twice their ages.

I did grow up on a dairy farm and had strenuous work and some heavy lifting so I have some strength left. I hated mowing away hay. Some of those bales were probably close to 70 lbs. I'm not very tall so trying to lift them above my shoulders to stack them was a feat.

I'm 60, just. I have coworkers who are early 30's to early 40's who will sit and complain -to me! - that they are too sore to do (fill in the blank) at work.

My job is fairly strenuous with pushing wheelchairs and using mechanical lifts and bringing in groceries but we don't lift heavy things nor run marathons.

My mid back and lateral back muscles are usually sore because of the mostly upper body work, but rarely do I ever sit and say that I'm too sore to work.

I can't imagine how these people will cope at twice their ages.

I did grow up on a dairy farm and had strenuous work and some heavy lifting so I have some strength left. I hated mowing away hay. Some of those bales were probably close to 70 lbs. I'm not very tall so trying to lift them above my shoulders to stack them was a feat.
Some people get out of breath just tying their shoelaces.

Back