• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
I just posted this elsewhere, but reckoned, what the heck, I'll echo it here as well:
For me, Mulberry evokes the Mulberry Harbours used in Normandy after D-Day.

As a teenager, I used to roam the beaches west of Bognor Regis, where there were some concrete relics exposed at low tide. But it was only years after I left that district that I learned that these relics were part of Mulberry that had never made it across the Channel in 1944.
http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/En ... dPluto.htm

Now, if this thread wasn't in Chat, I could leave the URL to my kids in my will, so they could access some of my random memories....! :roll:

Any other oldsters got any contributions for here?
(I notice OTR is steering well clear... 8) )

I felt old one day when the bf's son came over and we told him to turn the record over. He didn't know how, and in fact, we both flew screaming at him when he manhandled it.

Nobody I work with has ever dialed a phone. :(

Leaferne said:
:D

..and soon the only people who know how to change the film in a camera will be students on History of Technology courses! 8)

Leaferne said:
I felt old one day when the bf's son came over and we told him to turn the record over. He didn't know how, and in fact, we both flew screaming at him when he manhandled it.

You mean used a phone without buttons? That's weird, because we had one of the old ones in the '80s, and someone I knew still had one in the late '90s. You'd think that most people over the age of about 19 must have encountered one of them at some point.

There was still a rotary phone at me mum's house, up until she moved into a nursing home a couple of years ago. I don't even know if you can still get rotary lines any more.

Why does my heart sink when I read this?
'Dignity nurse' in every hospital
By Sarah Womack, Social Affairs Correspondent
(Filed: 20/04/2006)

A "dignity nurse" is to be appointed in every health service hospital to ensure that elderly patients are respected rather than neglected. In larger hospitals there will be several - at matron, sister and chief nurse level.

The plan, contained in a report today on the second half of the Government's national service framework for older people, was immediately condemned as meaningless by critics.

They said that elderly people were still being subjected to the indignity of mixed sex wards, despite a Government pledge to abolish them almost eight years ago, and faced an even bleaker outlook as hospitals sacked staff by the thousand and closed wards to tackle the £900 million NHS budget deficit.

"What is it going to be next - dignity doctors?" said Ruth Lea, the director of the Centre for Policy Studies, a centre-Right think-tank.

"This is an insulting and cheap gimmick and I am sick of gimmicks. Every nurse should be aware of the concept of dignity. The idea that you to have one dignity nurse is crackers.

"Dignity for patients should be hard-wired into nurses; otherwise they should not be in a hospital or care home."
[Hear! Hear!]

The NHS's treatment of over-65s has been a particularly embarrassing issue for the Government, not least as it pledged better care for older patients in its general election manifestos.

Over-65s occupy almost two thirds of hospital beds and are often regarded as bed blockers. A recent report by the Patients' Association said that some hospital managers put pressure on them and their families to leave.

Evidence has also emerged of elderly patients who suffered malnutrition when meals were taken away before they could eat them. In the worst cases, elderly people have been subjected to mental and physical cruelty.

The Conservatives said that, against that background, talk of dignity nurses was absurd. Stephen O'Brien, the shadow health minister, said: "Beleaguered NHS trusts are already pushing their responsibilities on to social services and council tax budgets.

"Real dignity for older people will come only with real change, not headline-seeking initiatives."

The report, issued by the Department of Health, was written by Prof Ian Philp, the national director for older people's services.

He said that dignity nurses would ensure that older patients were given consultations in private rooms rather than wards and that the dying received more personal support.

Shouting at patients, failing to ensure that they were properly fed and clothed, or allowing them to soil themselves, would be treated as seriously by health watchdogs as failure to meet waiting-time targets.

Checks by the Healthcare Commission would now cover dignity issues, Prof Philp said. Guilty hospitals could be downgraded in national ratings and, in the worst instances, face intervention to improve their performance.

Prof Philp admitted that there was no new money for his proposals.

"We are not talking about creating a new breed of nurse but a named person that people can go to if they have concerns," he said.

Asked about mixed wards, he said: "We will continue to push ahead with capital investment programmes to eliminate mixed sex environments."

"The issue is about privacy and we are working with experts about measuring minor and major breaches of dignity - for example, how curtains are used. People can pull them back without seeing them as the equivalent of a door."

Prof Philp is an honorary consultant physician at the Northern General Hospital, in Sheffield, with responsibility for the rehabilitation of frail older people.
http://tinyurl.com/ehyfj

This is the very place to say

"Happy Birthday, Ma'am!"

80 terday, Gawd bless 'er!

(Plenty of dignity there!)

Lots of hats, too. There should be more hat-wearing, like in the old days. I think lack of hats is why society is going to hell in a handbasket. Ask Her Maj, she'll tell yer.

arghghgghghghghgh...horrid thought. There are kids able to drive mopeds and fool night clubs re: age. Arghgghgh they were born in 1990.
Where's me zimmer...

I've re-titled this thread to 'sex it up' more for Fortean tastes!
Much as Forteans like to read about Death, and what happens afterwards (or even before), younger people usually prefer not to really consider their own mortality, whereas when you get old you seriously have to wonder whether any new ache or pain could be the first symptom of the illness which will finally carry you off.

Now both my parents made their eighties, so I could have another twenty years left in me.
On the other hand, the Obits are full of people younger than me who have passed on...

Any way, now for a story about a gent who seems to have got this growing old business well under control:
WWI veteran honoured by home town

Britain's oldest known World War I veteran wiped away a tear as he was awarded the freedom of the seaside town where he has lived for 40 years.
Henry Allingham, 109, was handed a scroll, a badge of honour and a bottle of malt whisky by Graham Marsden, Mayor of Eastbourne in East Sussex.

Mr Allingham said the whisky, along with "cigarettes and wild, wild women", was the secret of his long life. [ :D ]

The freedom ceremony was postponed last month when Mr Allingham was taken ill.

He was admitted to hospital with a chest infection but released after a few days.

On Friday he was in good health as he stood to receive the scroll, supported by his friend Dennis Goodwin.

He was wearing the Legion D'Honneur medal, France's highest military honour, which he received in Eastbourne in 2003.

Mr Allingham said he was deeply honoured to receive the freedom of Eastbourne.

"I have a lot to thank the town for and it has brought me so much happiness living here," he said.

"I would like to say to everyone, 'Come to Eastbourne'."

Council leader Ian Lucas said: "It is a privilege to be able to honour a man who has been alive in three separate centuries.

"It is truly humbling to be in the presence of a man who saw action in the First World War."

Mr Allingham, who turns 110 on 6 June, began his military career as an Air Mechanic Second Class in September 1915.

He joined the Royal Naval Air Service, serving on the armed trawler HMT Kingfisher, which was involved in the greatest naval battle of the Great War, the Battle of Jutland in 1916.

He transferred to the newly-formed RAF in 1918 and remained in the service until he was discharged in 1919.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sout ... 931102.stm
I spent childhood holidays in Eastbourne. And I like Malt Whisky.
Now all I need is some more wild, wild women....
(I'll pass on the fags, though.)

Just thinking...that wonderful old gent (c.f. rynner's article above) must be one of the last few victorians. An era is truly passing.

rynner said:
I've re-titled this thread to 'sex it up' more for Fortean tastes!
Much as Forteans like to read about Death, and what happens afterwards (or even before), younger people usually prefer not to really consider their own mortality, whereas when you get old you seriously have to wonder whether any new ache or pain could be the first symptom of the illness which will finally carry you off.

Hell, I've started worrying about every ache and pain, and I'm only 44. :hmph:

Just thinking...that wonderful old gent (c.f. rynner's article above) must be one of the last few victorians. An era is truly passing.

That was my thought too, oddly enough.

Talking away
I don't know what I'm to say
I'll say it anyway
today's another day to find you
Shying away
I'll be coming for you love O.K.

Take on me
Take me on
I'll be gone
in a day or two

So needless to say I'm odds and ends
But that's me, stumbling away
Slowly learning that life is O.K.
Say after me
It's no better to be safe than sorry.

Take on me
Take me on
I'll be gone
in a day or two.

The things that you say
Is it live or just to play
My worries away
You're all the things I've got to remember
You shying away
I'll be coming for you anyway

Take on me
Take me on
I'll be gone
in a day or two

Agreat line from one of Jack Vance's novels: "I am not afraid of dying; I just don't think I am going to enjoy it very much."

Leaferne said:

At the risk of resorting to harsh language: you're shitting me??

Students I work with (17 or 18 year olds) recognise dial phones, but again most have never used one.

Push button phones have been more common in North America for longer as (IIRC) they've had tone dialling exchanges for longer - in the UK we had pulse dialling ones until the early 80s, cos the GPO, and later BT, had the monopoly so didn't care - the only choice you had about your phone was what colour it came in. And it was wired directly into the network - no plug-in phones in those days.

Eeeeeeee, the young today... don't know they're born.... only had three television channels and it was all proper entertainment.... and ITV made sit-coms... the Radio Times was in black and white and only listed BBC programmes and always had David Attenborough in it somewhere, and the TV Times was full of proper wrestling with Big Daddy and Mick McManus and Westerns and Jimmy Tarbuck at home and blancmange recipes....

Stu Neville, News At Ten, sitting staring out to sea with a tartan travel rug around my legs sipping from a flask of soup and reading the Sunday Express.

Did you know Princess Diana was murdered? She was you know, it says so here.

I saw the thread title change and thought the mods were getting...threatening.

While not revealing my exact age, I will admit I understood what was going on during the cuban missle crisis. We were allowed to watch the coverage in class.
My school had a drill every thursday at 10:00 am when the civil defense alarm would sound and we would all duck and cover first, then we were marched down to the fallout shelter under the school and wait for the "all clear" before we could resume class.
Many buildings at that time were designated fallout shelters and had a civil defense sign on them in plain view so that you could run in if the alert went off and wait in their shelter.
Now these same "sirens" are used for tornado warnings.

I've decided not to grow any older than 35. That gives me five years to get in shape before i stay 35 forever. Initially it was 30 but for some reason my body wasn't listening then. I've given it another five years to prepare for eternal youth.

Just came across this
Alliance & Leicester pointed out that Lloyds pays only 0.1 per cent interest on its classic current account, adding that cheques were a dying method of payment which were likely to be extinct within a few years.
http://news.independent.co.uk/business/ ... 360439.ece

Cheques have been part of the financial set-up since before I was born.

Another chunk of my bedrock hacked away! :shock:

I think I may have a 'classic' lloyds deposit account - ah from the heady days when bank interest actually meant something...

grumble, moan, ache and whinge...

GadaffiDuck said:
I think I may have a 'classic' lloyds deposit account...
Me too!

However, money isn't everything
Britain's happiness in decline
By Mark Easton
BBC News Home Editor

Britain is less happy than in the 1950s - despite the fact that we are three times richer.

The proportion of people saying they are "very happy" has fallen from 52% in 1957 to just 36% today.

The opinion poll by GfK NOP for The Happiness Formula series on BBC Two provides the first evidence that Britain's happiness levels are declining - a trend already well documented in the United States.

Polling data from throughout the 1950s shows happiness levels above what they are today, suggesting that our extra wealth has not brought extra well-being.

It could even be making matters worse.

The British experience mirrors data from America where social scientists have seen levels of life satisfaction gradually decline over the last quarter of a century.

Happiness levels were higher in post-war Britain

In the early 1970s, 34% of those interviewed in the General Social Survey described themselves as "very happy".

By the late 1990s, the figure was 30% - a small but statistically significant drop.

The story of wealth failing to translate into extra happiness is the story of the Western world.

In almost every developed country happiness levels have remained largely static over the past 50 years - despite huge increases in income.

What the happiness research suggests is that once average incomes reach about £10,000 a year, extra money does not make a country any happier.

How does Britain compare?

Our poll asked people how satisfied they were with their lives as a whole using a one to 10 scale.

The mean score was 7.3 which puts the UK some way down the world rankings.

One recent table has Switzerland as the happiest country, followed by Denmark, Sweden, Ireland, USA. Britain comes eighth.

The Happiness Formula
Wednesday, 3 March
1900 BST on BBC Two

Many different organisations, including the United Nations, have attempted to compare the happiness rates of different countries.

Should politicians try to make us happier?

In our opinion poll we asked whether the government's prime objective should be the "greatest happiness" or the "greatest wealth".

A remarkable 81% wanted happiness as the goal. Only 13% wanted greatest wealth.

Should schoolchildren be taught how to be happy?

GfK NOP asked people whether they thought schools should put more emphasis on teaching students how to achieve a happy personal life and less on educating them for the world of work.

A majority - 52% agreed that more emphasis should be placed on happiness - 43% disagreed.

Less friendly?

Our poll asked whether people felt their neighbourhood was more or less friendly now than it was 10 years ago.

43% said less friendly, compared to 22% of people who said it was friendlier.

So what makes us happy? Almost half of people - 48% - say that relationships are the biggest factor in making them happy. Second is health on 24%.

When we asked people to choose the two most important sources of happiness in their lives, out of 1001 people only 77 people said work fulfilment.

According to the science of happiness friends are crucial to our well-being.

Yet according to our opinion poll most of us speak to only a small number of close friends every week.

Six out of 10 people spoke to five friends or fewer each week.

Two out of 10 spoke to only one or two friends. And one person in 25 talked to no friends at all.

Contentment

We also asked people to say, in their own words, what happiness meant to them.

According to analysis by Ilona Boniwell, a psychologist at Oxford Brookes University, most people's definition involved family and friends.

But the results threw up a surprise. The second largest group of responses centred around contentment and inner peace.

It does appear that many people's happiness is about escaping the stress and pace of modern life.

It has been suggested that rising levels of stress and depression may indicate that Britain is becoming more unhappy.

However, it is not clear whether clinical diagnoses reflect a real fall in happiness or a greater willingness to seek help for psychological problems.

Research throughout the world suggests that most people are slightly to moderately happy, and only a few people say they are unhappy.

The Happiness Formula poll found that 92% of people described themselves as either fairly happy or very happy. Only 8% said they were fairly unhappy or very unhappy.

Professor Ed Diener, a leading psychologist based at the University of Illinois, said: "The idea that modern society is a sink of unhappiness seems wrong".

However, average happiness scores do appear to be static or falling.

Happy together

Nearly half of married people told us they are "very happy". Only a quarter of singles said the same.

Researchers believe the key factor is the promise to stay together.

Is happiness linked to health?

GfK NOP asked people how they would describe their state of health.

Among those who described themselves as "very happy", 45% said they had "very good" health.

Among those only "fairly happy" 23% said they had "very good" health.

Our opinion poll asked whether people would take a legally available drug that made them happy if there were no side-effects.

Nearly three out of four, 72%, of people said no and 26% said yes.

The GfK NOP opinion poll for The Happiness Formula series was conducted by telephone. The fieldwork was carried out between 28-30 October 2005. The sample size was 1001 adults aged 15 or over, and the margin of error is +/- 3%.

Mark Easton presents The Happiness Formula series. The first programme will be broadcast on BBC Two on Wednesday 3 May at 1930BST and then at the same time for the following five weeks.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/h ... 771908.stm

As I miserable git who likes to pick holes in descriptive stats (as we all should), I would love to see their results section! Clearly, I am ageing

Chatting about Uncon recently, I had to explain who Rat Scabies was, what The Damned was, list some of the most well-known and influential punk bands were and why I was looking depressed at the morloks around me.
The mystery of Renne-le-Chateau would've shot over their heads like a Black Project helicopter manned by modern day Templars.

This makes me feel old.
Oh, and somewhat marginalised.

Stormkhan said:
This makes me feel old.
Oh, and somewhat marginalised.
Yes, this is a big part of the problem.

Old people do get ignored.

Mostly by young folk who will probably never have such an interesting life as I've had,
even if they do manage to miss copping a Darwin Award!

Nothing new under the sun, then! 8)

On a plus note. While not revealing my exact age...I met up with some people yesterday (2 separate groups, quite by chance) that Ihad not seen in perhaps 15 years. Ah, how they have aged. They all asked me why I hadn't. My reply? A reasonable deal with Satan and bathing in virgin blood. Response: a couple of nervous chuckles and one outright look of revulsion. Miserable old gits. :lol: However, I remain young looking so nyah nyah nyah. Thank you Scandy genetics!

Back