Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • I wish

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters

silvercoin

Fresh Blood
After having read and thoroughly enjoyed COMMUNION by WHITLEY STRIEBER (which I would highly recommend), in which - to cut a long story short - the author was abducted by aliens on numerous ocasions, I wondered how many of you have either had a first hand experience or know someone who has. I've yet to decide whether I believe it or not - I'm open minded.

Jerry_B

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Strieber claims to have been abducted. Whether it actually happened anywhere outside of his imagination is another thing entirely.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
We do have a few threads on Alien Abduction

Alright then, we've a lot of threads on Alien Abduction - this one's a good place to start.

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Jerry_B said:
Strieber claims to have been abducted. Whether it actually happened anywhere outside of his imagination is another thing entirely.
True, but let's not forget that when Strieber asked his readers to communicate their own abduction experiences to him he received well over half-a-million positive responses, 30,000 of them MULTIPLE-EXPERIENCER REPORTS.

Now that does not neccessarily make abductions objectively "real," but it's certainly real enough to the "abuctees."

barfing_pumpkin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
True, but let's not forget that when Strieber asked his readers to communicate their own abduction experiences to him he received well over half-a-million positive responses, 30,000 of them MULTIPLE-EXPERIENCER REPORTS.
Oh god! You're not starting that one up again are you, Oldtime?

James_H

And I like to roam the land
What's "that one"?
In reply to the original post, I think I used to believe/fantasise that I had been when I was a kid, but then I had a very active and wishful fortean imagination and I think I made it up pretty much because I was reading about that sort of thing. So I voted "no".

barfing_pumpkin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Oh, some old argument Oldtime and I had about this 'multi-experiencer' thing on another thread. If I could figure out how to link to other threads on this board I'd post the link - but I really can't be arsed.

But what did Streiber do with all these thousands of experiencer reports? As far as I know he simply cherry picked the best ones and published them as the Communion Letters.

According to Streiber:
These letters are the single most mysterious document that has ever been assembled in human history. Taken together, they represent a genuine communication from the beyond. They are entirely authentic, most of them written long before the close encounter experience became common knowledge.
Dodgy grammar aside, the claim that the letters (which obviously postdate the publication of Communion in 1987) were written "before the close encounter experience became common knowledge" is quite ridiculous.

And having read the book, I'm afraid it didn't really strike me as "the single most mysterious document... in human history". (That would probably be the 1998 Teletubbies Annual.)

barfing_pumpkin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Good stuff, Graylien, but wouldn't it be better placed in that old thread I was talking about? how about posting a link, 'cos I can't figure out how to do it.

BTW, H_James - for some other interesting stuff about Alien Abductions, see if you can find 'DMT and the Alien Abduction' thread, on this same topic. Call it a means to resurrect an old thread I started, if you will, but there's some good, thought-provoking things there.

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
H_James said:
What's "that one"?.
Months ago I brought up the sheer volume of abduction reports Strieber had received .

I believed (and still do) the the weight of these massed testimonies suggests that we are dealing with a GENUINE PHENOMENON.....whether or not "abductions" actually take place.

Mr. Pumpkins didn't see it this way at all.

So we had a rather jolly old Fortean time at it.

A

Anonymous

Have to agree with OTR. Whether or not aliens exist, is immaterial. The 'fact' is that people report this experience. I can easily posit hysteria and a myriad of other misperceptions (individual or forced), but I have to accept that these reports do occur; thus, I have to accept that we are dealing with an issue - although, it may be incorrectly interpreted and labelled.

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
GadaffiDuck said:
Have to agree with OTR. Whether or not aliens exist, is immaterial. The 'fact' is that people report this experience. I can easily posit hysteria and a myriad of other misperceptions (individual or forced), but I have to accept that these reports do occur; thus, I have to accept that we are dealing with an issue - although, it may be incorrectly interpreted and labelled.
Exactly. If more than half-a-million individuals report seeing the Sun turn into Santa Claus, it becomes a PHENOMENON which HAS TO be investigated, and with Objectivity, NOT with a smirk. Laughter and ridicule are not proper laboratory instruments, Skeptics nothwithstanding.

A

Anonymous

erm.............I can't suggest that I wouldn't smirk at some claims. However, I would still try to be objective (re: the great man) ie. I would bring bias (no matter how covert) but would take that into account.

Back to thread: A concept/claim exists: ergo, it must be tested.

crunchy5

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
OldTimeRadio said:
GadaffiDuck said:
Exactly. If more than half-a-million individuals report seeing the Sun turn into Santa Claus, it becomes a PHENOMENON which HAS TO be investigated, and with Objectivity, NOT with a smirk. Laughter and ridicule are not proper laboratory instruments, Skeptics nothwithstanding.
Got to agree on this one OTR.

Jerry_B

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Then again, one has to take into account the context of any claims. It seems that the majority of the claims for abduction are related to sleep, and some also related to hypnotic regression. That can immediately flag known problems with what's being claimed, putting them into the realm of certain types of fantasy. If people were being abducted en masse, in front of alot of other people, that would be a different matter. But the fact that the majority of cases involve the border between the sleeping and waking world, as well as hypnotic regression tends to flag them as being within the remit of things other than actual physical abduction by extraterrestrials.

A

Anonymous

Absolutely, but this still constitutes a broad spectrum of phenomena - worthy of study? depends on level of interest and availability of funds - not to mention credibility of the researchers (go back to level of interest, availability of funds etc ah, the circle builds). I am aware that some studies of have been done, but I'm not sure if there have been any meta studies; or any longitudinal studies of participants.

crunchy5

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Good last point GD as a way of saving funds on a long term study rather than having post grads living with the subjects they could be chipped using a veri chip implant. The only problem I can see, other than the civil liberties issue, easily solved with a disclaimer, would be if our implants react negatively with their implants. But certainly an avenue of research worthy of consideration.

A

Anonymous

Now if both their implants are our implants are pseudo sentient nanobots, then we can start a mini robowars/fantastic journey cross and corner a new genre of reality tv. Eyethangewe :lol:

yetifeet1975

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Heres an experience I had last year.
Me and my Girlfriend were staying in a hotel for a couple of weeks after an interstate move while we waited for our belongings to be shipped down to Victoria from the Northern Territory.
Due to having served most of my life in the Army, I have become a light sleeper, meaning as soon as I hear a noise Im up.
We were both alseep when I heard a rustling coming from the end of the bed.
I was sleeping on my side and I opened my eyes as I "felt" a presence inthe room.
As I tried to sit up I saw a blinding light in my eyes and felt a massive constant,sharp electrical pain in the left side off my head.
It felt like a red hot poker was being jammed into my skull.
I tried to move but couldnt. I was totaly paralised.
I even tried to yell, but all i could manage was a faint moan.
I then suddenly felt cold and it all ended with my girlfriend waking me up the next morning (I am always up before her).
I asked her if she felt me shaking that night and she said she hadnt, but she said that she had just had a really good nights sleep.
I felt really drained the next day, but after the following nights sleep i was back to normal.

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Thank You

Thank you, Crunchy.

Oooh, I've just seen the Sun turn into Santa Claus. To whom should I report it? <g>

Gemaki

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've just recently read Communion, and I wasn't impressed. How could a person not be mad that this is happening to them? He actually seemed affectionate about it... bullshit. And, he's perfectly OK with the children being taken too? Now tell me, who would be OK with that? :roll:

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
GadaffiDuck said:
So, let's associate a few words: :lol:
Okay, Duck, you say "Mirror" and I'll say "Death." THAT one always gets things rolling. <g>

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Gemaki said:
How could a person not be mad that this is happening to them? He actually seemed affectionate about it... bullshit. And, he's perfectly OK with the children being taken too? Now tell me, who would be OK with that? :roll:
I agree with you. But what continues to deeply impress me is that sheer volume of reports, WHATEVER that may ultimately indicate.

I'm NOT saying that the Abduction Phenomenon is a GOOD thing - it may very well be totally the opposite.

And I likewise find Strieber's obvious "affection" for the....Whatevers, even if they don't actually exist, a real turn-off. I much preferred him as one of the best living horror novelists.

A

Anonymous

Mirror - death..........okay

I say "yellow"

ps. agree broadly with your stance - I'm just having some fun :D

The late John Mack took a similarily optimistic view of abductions, which was generally echoed by his subjects. Personally, I find his books with their relentless prattle about 'paradigm shifts' and 'higher consciousness' virtually unreadable.

A

Anonymous

I make a point of laughing at people who use the phrase 'paradigm shift'. It comes right up there with 'imagineers' and so forth. Dr Mack had some interesting ideas, but I understand why his colleagues were getting concerned. However, I always hoped that there was a study behind his study (if ya get me)...sadly, we will never know.

Jerry_B

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
yetifeet1975 said:
Heres an experience I had last year.
Me and my Girlfriend were staying in a hotel for a couple of weeks after an interstate move while we waited for our belongings to be shipped down to Victoria from the Northern Territory.
This sounds like symptoms of sleep paralysis, or some similar sleep disorder. The feeling of a presence in the room and other details also seem similar.

Jerry_B

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
OldTimeRadio said:
I'm NOT saying that the Abduction Phenomenon is a GOOD thing - it may very well be totally the opposite.
It doesn't seem any more threatening in real terms than a bad nightmare. The problem IMHO is some 'researchers' dressing it all up as 'alien abduction'. It seems as if the 'cause' of such experiences are having the whole alien thing pressed onto them. If these experiences are anything more than sleep and associated disorders, what should happen first and foremost is to drag all of those abduction researchers as far away from the subject as possible. It doesn't really matter about the volume of the cases if they're actually pointing at a known physical cause and effect - which IMHO is actually the case, rather than it being anything whatsoever to do with aliens supposedly sneaking into people's rooms and messing about with them.