• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

LobeliaOverhill's Abduction Experience

Imperial_Call

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Lobelia Overhill, Abduction Experience...?

I consider myself to be an alien abductee, and I used to get violent nosebleeds as a teenager (maybe a half a dozen over a period of a few years), someone said it was because you get high blood pressure in your teens, but I don't remember seeing anyone else in my year walking along a corridor or sitting in class and their nose would suddenly gush blood ...

I also remember when I was lickle I used to have a "sick bowl" under my bed because I used to vomit in the night quite a lot ...

NOTES:
- Imperial_Call's earlier username was LobeliaOverhill

Last edited by a moderator:
I consider myself to be an alien abductee
Is there a specific thread where you take questions about this abduction experience?

I read something that you wrote on another thread but have lost the link. It seemed to me, at the time, that your mother (I think) had made a highly suggestive remark regarding a 'sandman' (with some almost threat) and that your remembered experience seems to follow from this very specific suggestion.

I remember thinking, at the time I read your post, that it was possible that you are a very suggestive person (I am too in different ways). I can remember wondering whether perhaps your mother (I think) had almost suggested the experience ahead of the manifestation.

I won't mess with you here or play games. I simply don't believe in alien abduction. But I am prepared to believe that this is what you experienced. I believe that you are a victim of some kind of hypnosis or suggestion.

Is there a thread where you are prepared to consider and take questions regarding the possibilities?

I think what you are referring to Alb, is the post I made about my mother telling me to lie down and close my eyes so the Sandman could come put sand in them, and I started to scream the place down. Anyhoo I've had this "arguement" with other people before that my mother is an old bitch who was trying to scare me and therefore I reacted accordingly ... not so. The Sandman was not a "Bogey man" who was coming to do nasty things to me if I didn't go to sleep, he was [supposedly] a nice little man who sprinkled sand in your eyes so you'd either fall asleep or dream while you were asleep. She had said this same thing to me every night for some time, until that one night when I went mental at her because I didn't want the Sandman to come anywhere near me. D'Mother denies any such incident occurring in a manner which suggests she remembers me screaming the place down but for some reason prefers to pretend it never happened ...

I'm certainly not suggesting that your mother is "an old bitch" who was trying to scare you. Simply that she was using very suggestive language.

Have you considered the possibility that your childhood memory is less accurate than your mother's adult memories of the same period.

I'm only suggesting that it is possible that your 'memory' is a mixture or dreams, childhood fantasies, and suggestions. Do you have any good reason to believe that your mother would be telling lies?

I'm not getting at you. I'm only interested to know more about your experience of something which I don't think was actually real. And which I understand you have remembered later.

I'm prepared to believe that this seems like a real memory. I'd like to know more about what could have implanted such a memory.

Originally posted by alb
I'm certainly not suggesting that your mother is "an old bitch" who was trying to scare you. Simply that she was using very suggestive language.

how so? "lie down now and close your eyes and the Sandman will come and put sand in them" is suggestive of what? some odious little oik with a glass wand is going to poke you in the ear and fuck with your mind ... ?

Have you considered the possibility that your childhood memory is less accurate than your mother's adult memories of the same period.

That incident happened when I was between the ages of 5 and 7, I remembered it very clearly for years afterwards, certain things would bring it screaming back to the fore, such as a scene in a film [Tom Thumb ... ?] where a 'stop motion' sandman" comes out of a box ...

I'm only suggesting that it is possible that your 'memory' is a mixture or dreams, childhood fantasies, and suggestions. Do you have any good reason to believe that your mother would be telling lies?

My childhood fantasies involved owning Black Beauty, or the dog off Belle and Sebastian - or one of the gee gees off White Horses (showing me age there!!)
D'Mother likes to contradict me any chance she gets...

I'm not getting at you. I'm only interested to know more about your experience of something which I don't think was actually real. And which I understand you have remembered later.

like I said I didn't "remember" it later, I remembered it all the time ... same as the incident with the fat tans in the living room. Always remembered it, but dismissed it as a dream ...

I'm prepared to believe that this seems like a real memory. I'd like to know more about what could have implanted such a memory.

implanted? when, and by whom, and for what purpose?

edited cos I got interrupted and pressed submit by mistake

Cavynaut said:
Fat tans?

geezers who look like the tans of alien abduction lore, but are fat like Jabba The Hutt (who appeared 30 years after my incident)

"lie down now and close your eyes and the Sandman will come and put sand in them" is suggestive of what?
It is, very obviously, highly suggestive and emotive language. It would set your imagination racing. It's hypnotist talk.

The simple fact is that, in your memory, your mother 'suggested' a 'sandman'. You then apparently experienced 'sandmen'. According to your narrative - the sandman existed only after your mother suggested the possibility.

Doesn't that make you question your memories?

For fear of derailing this thread could we make a new one to discuss Lobelia's abduction experience? I can split off the various posts to make this if she is willing to undergo extra 'probing'?

Emps

emps you saucey divil!! I should have insisted you buy me dinner first ...

LO: OK done. Thanks for that as it is interesting to be able to ask questions of people who've had Fortean experiences. I had a hag dream (as mentioned in the thread) and it has certainly made me more sympathetic to 'abductees' as it was a nasty and distrurbing experience.

Fancy running thorugh an outline for those of us playing catch up?

I'm also intrigued by the 'fat tans' - in this day and age we seem to only get the 'skinny greys' but that does overlook the whole alien zoo that is seemingly out there. Are there many other cases where the 'fat tans' appear?

Emps

LobeliaOverhill said:
emps you saucey divil!! I should have insisted you buy me dinner first ...

I'm more of a probe 'em and leave 'em kind of alien (from the infamous "What kind of alien are you?" quiz) ;)

Emps

I thought The Sandman was a common figure of modern(ish) myth?
I don't see how you can go from hearing that name to establishing a complete fantasy based around it. Unless there was some repressed memory linked to a real and actual person who carried out what might be nefarious activities whose common expression or pseudonym invloved The Sandman.

OK, used to live in London (till I was 7). Every night D'Mother would put me to bed and tell me to close my eyes so the sandman could come put sand in my eyes, till one night when I went berserk at the idea. I recall seeing a thin tan arm waving infront of my face.
We had a huge bathroom in that house that had a massive arched [uncurtained] window at one end. I used to be scared out of my mind of going in there at night. I'd go down to the living room to ask someone to take me to the loo, this usually involved an arguement about me being big enough to wipe my own arse, and ended with me pissing or crapping in my jimmy-jams.
On one occassion I went downstairs, went into the living room and saw soem short fat tan people with big black eyes. I looked at them and said "you're not my mu ... " and that's all I remember. For years I dismissed that as a dream. Then I saw Whitely Streiber on Terry Wogan's show and when they showed the cover of his book (Communion) with the tan face I thought hmmm. Some months later I bought the book, but I could never read it, I used to hide it under something because I didn't want those eyes looking at me. Then on other occassions I'd stare at the book and think "they like it if you tickle their cheeks" :confused:
A few years ago I saw the film Communion, and sat through it quite happily till it gets to the bit where you see the little fat alien that the son refers to as "the blue doctor", and I fecking nearly crapped myself ...

I had a hag dream
I think I had something similar twice.

First time I was convinced I was awake - totally scared - but unable to move. It was a dream.

And I had a dream where I kept thinking I was awake. It went through several iterations. Every time I thought I was awake and all was normal - then something really scary took place. And I'd wake up again.

I was in my mid 30s. My wife was totally freaked out.

I just wanted to say that. I'm not down or dis believing of huge scary experiences. But these were dreams.

I wouldn't normally talk about dreams. Other people's dreams bore me. I mention this only in connection with being open minded about abduction experiences.

Emperor said:
I'm more of a probe 'em and leave 'em kind of alien (from the infamous "What kind of alien are you?" quiz) ;)

Emps

well them babies is gonna need a surname sometime soon!
:rofl:

I'm not sure that describing yourself as an alien abductee really does your experiences justice. This is High Strangness of the finest quality and I think pigeon holing it is a mistake.

Why should the abductors be aliens? Why must it be a physical abduction? I'm not attacking the experience I'm suggesting that there may be a wider definition or explanation that could be applied here.

Cujo

I had a similar experiance as a nipper where i was in bed on my top bunk and I saw the ghost of my nans dog in my bedroom.

I can remember it very vividly but as it occored in the midle of the night when I had aparently woken from sleaping I can't be sure weather it was a dream or not.

well Cujo, I can't think of anything else to call it ...

In later years I've had unexplained bruises, woken up feeling like I'd been kicked around like a football, and I have a "thing" in my "y'know" that I've been told is something you associate with childbirth. I have no children ...

From what you've said: a couple of key issues scream out. But I don't have an exact angle.

The stuff about lavatories seems clearly significant. The other is that these memories came back to you at a much later date inspired by Wogan.

This means someting to me - but I'm not exactly sure what. Possibly a post or ex - Freudian would have a clue. Certainly the lavatory issue seems significant. And you've mentioned that before. Fear of the toilet seems to be a factor.

I think that you should start by accepting that your memories are skewed. You weren't abducted. And start to look at what might have influenced these skewed memories.

There seems to be a great deal of fear. On various levels.

The thing with the human mind is that it can convince you of so much that either never happened or is a combination of loads of different events.
I'm not saying you weren't abducted by something. I'm not saying aliens because I just won't accept they'd fly all this way to just to stick a bug up someones' arse. And there's no point in starting a debate over the exact definition of an alien either before anybody starts..
The trouble is seperating what happened from what has been contaminated by popular culture. Once you've done that you'll be a lot closer to understanding your experience.
I'm not trying to discredit you and sorry if this all sounds patronising because I think something happened to you in your childhood by what you've said and you really need to find a way of exploring it further.

alb said:
I think that you should start by accepting that your memories are skewed. You weren't abducted. And start to look at what might have influenced these skewed memories.

And yet you also say:

I mention this only in connection with being open minded about abduction experiences.

How can you be open minded and yet be sure that Lobilia's memories are at fault?

Great idea for a thread, Lobelia. We have an odd family history of this sort of thing that I keep trying to deny and laugh off. I have some questions and theories that I've been wanting to share with you. Here's two of them:

1. Why is it that so many people who've witnessed UFOs have also seen ghosts or had some overt psychic experiences. It makes us look like a bunch of suggestible loons but there is a link here that I want to understand.

2. Why does it seem to run in families. So many of us can listen to the stories of the oldsters and see the evidence on the new younglings and go "crap, I was trying not to believe in this."

Originally posted by alb
From what you've said: a couple of key issues scream out. But I don't have an exact angle.

The stuff about lavatories seems clearly significant. The other is that these memories came back to you at a much later date inspired by Wogan.

Inspired by Wogan? No sunshine, they were revived by the image on the cover of Streiber's book ...

This means something to me - but I'm not exactly sure what. Possibly a post or ex - Freudian would have a clue. Certainly the lavatory issue seems significant. And you've mentioned that before. Fear of the toilet seems to be a factor.

fear of the toilet? Where does it say I was scared of the toilet? I was frightened of going into the bathroom specifically at night, and it was the window that I was scared off, not the bog.

no. I won't.

There seems to be a great deal of fear. On various levels.

Oh? On your part or mine?

Cujo - I'm open minded about the reasons behind her experience. Meaning that I don't believe she is telling lies.

I'm open minded as to the possible causes of such a strong impression of an experience.

I believe that her experience represents a suggstion based experience.

I'm prepared to be completely straight here: I don't believe in greys or tans or any other physical manifestion of aliens. Nor do I believe that any abduction experiences are real - except in minds.

But I do believe that people genuinely believe that they have experienced such. And I'm interested to know why they believe that.

Originally posted by alb
I believe that her experience represents a suggstion based experience.

so who suggested what to me?

But I do believe that people genuinely believe that they have experienced such. And I'm interested to know why they believe that.

and until someone else comes up with a scientific/medical/reasonable reason for my experiences I will refer to them as "abductions" ..

Tulip Tree said:
2. Why does it seem to run in families. So many of us can listen to the stories of the oldsters and see the evidence on the new younglings and go "crap, I was trying not to believe in this."

I seem to be the only one in my family ... :(

no. I won't.
You should. It didn't happen. The really interesting thing - if you are honest with yourself - is to try to understand the tricks that the mind plays.

This stuff didn't happen.

But you obviously have a very bright, intelligent and imaginative mind. But don't go anywhere near any hypnotist. You are highly suggestible.

I'm not being rude. I'm just telling you the truth. This stuff didn't happen as you remember it.

Originally posted by alb You should. It didn't happen. The really interesting thing - if you are honest with yourself - is to try to understand the tricks that the mind plays.

This stuff didn't happen.

What stuff didn't happen? I didn't start crying because I didn't want the Sandman to come into my room? I wasn't scared of the big dark window in the bathroom ... ?

But you obviously have a very bright, intelligent and imaginative mind. But don't go anywhere near any hypnotist. You are highly suggestible.
I'm not being rude. I'm just telling you the truth. This stuff didn't happen as you remember it.

:rolleyes:

Back