• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

LobeliaOverhill's Abduction Experience

I don't nessersarilly belive in aliens or whatnot but I am open to the posibility the only reason I don't nessersarally belive in them is I have yet to see any conviceing evidence.
My mind is not closed to the possibility that people could have been being abdubted or probed for many years, afterall it sounds like a classic way of wasteing money for an alien government. Perhaps they, if they exist have some sort of quango body responcible for this which acts as a front for creaming off money from the alian goverment for pointless science, most of it going into the pockets of alien scientists and the minister for probeing no doubt. But without evidence, just the witnessing of an insident any theory is equelly valid provided that theory fits with the known facts.

How can you know it didn't happen if you weren't there.

While I could support an argument that Lobilia misinterpreted what happened or attached the wrong meaning to it I can't agree that it didn't happen. I can't know either way.

I wasn't scared of the big dark window in the bathroom ... ?

Kids are often scared of windows, mirrors, stair cases, corridors, passage ways etc. Routes are scary. It's generic stuff.

I think I'm being fair here. I'm not saying that you don't believe this stuff. I'm just suggesting that it is very generic and that it a mixture of child hood fears, generic fears, typical fears, family suggestion and immagination.

But you were not abducted. That didn't happen. You need to understand that.

Cujo said:
While I could support an argument that Lobilia misinterpreted what happened or attached the wrong meaning to it I can't agree that it didn't happen. I can't know either way.

I can't think of another explanation as to whom the Sandman might have been, and I've no idea what I found so frightening about that window ...

alb said:
Make up your mind. Were you scared of the window or not?

Kids are often scared of windows, mirrors, stair cases, corridors, passage ways etc. Routes are scary. It's generic stuff.

you said it never happened, I asked you what never happened, that I wasn't scared of the window?

I find darkened uncovered windows frightening even now. And I know exactly what triggered it.

A Walter Paget Illustration in my collected Sherlock Holms book. One of a malformed face pressed against a window at night. I think in the story it nearly gave Watson a heart attack.

Not that I assume that your fright had a similar cause.

Cujo said:
I find darkened uncovered windows frightening even now. And I know exactly what triggered it.

A Walter Paget Illustration in my collected Sherlock Holms book. One of a malformed face pressed against a window at night. I think in the story it nearly gave Watson a heart attack.

Not that I assume that your fright had a similar cause.

I was scared of dark windows up till a few years ago, no idea why, but I'd get the feeling I was being watched ...

don't think I've read that book! and I'm not going to :eek!!!!:

alb said:

I wouldn't normally talk about dreams. Other people's dreams bore me. I mention this only in connection with being open minded about abduction experiences.
Errm? Not according to your earlier posts Alb. You seem to already know what happened and aren't afraid to inform Lobelia of that fact.

Is she not giving you the answers you expect, or require?
Originally posted by Alb

I won't mess with you here or play games. I simply don't believe in alien abduction. But I am prepared to believe that this is what you experienced. I believe that you are a victim of some kind of hypnosis or suggestion.
Originally posted by Alb

I'm not getting at you. I'm only interested to know more about your experience of something which I don't think was actually real. And which I understand you have remembered later.
Etc...

Leading the witness, ladies and gentlemen of the jury?

I no more believe that people have been abducted - than I believe that vampires ever stalked Highgate.

Why people believe such ideas is what Forteanism is about IMO. The rest belongs to Nexus.

EDIT: AM - stop with the quips. If you have something useful to add then say it. Do you believe that Lobelia was abducted? Or do you believe that it is an impression which remains in her mind for some interesting reason.

Answer or be silent, for once.

Either way Lobs thanks for telling it. The whole abduction scenario is by far the most interesting Fortean subject for me.

To my knowledge it's never happened to me...and I wouldn't like it too.

Didn't Striber talk a lot about the windows in his upstate lodge in Communion (years since I read it and it freaked me when I did, so I'm in no rush to re-read it)? I've woken up with bruises a few times but I'd account for that by me stumbling to the can in the dark half asleep.

The Sandman was in Tom Thumb but wasn't he called the Yawning Man?

mooks (I'm not sure I want to believe) out

LobeliaOverhill said:
I consider myself to be an alien abductee, and I used to get violent nosebleeds as a teenager (maybe a half a dozen over a period of a few years), someone said it was because you get high blood pressure in your teens, but I don't remember seeing anyone else in my year walking along a corridor or sitting in class and their nose would suddenly gush blood ...

I also remember when I was lickle I used to have a "sick bowl" under my bed because I used to vomit in the night quite a lot ...

I saw it a few times and experienced it myself once during my teenage years.
On one occasion, my class was about to start an exam, when one lad suddenly complained of a nosebleed, which had apparently started all by itself.
When it happened to me, I'd just woken up in the morning, and sat up in bed - only to find that blood started to trickle out of my nose.
I've had high blood pressure for years, and now have to take medication to control it.

Originally posted by Mooksta
Either way Lobs thanks for telling it. The whole abduction scenario is by far the most interesting Fortean subject for me.
To my knowledge it's never happened to me...and I wouldn't like it too.
Didn't Striber talk a lot about the windows in his upstate lodge in Communion (years since I read it and it freaked me when I did, so I'm in no rush to re-read it)? I've woken up with bruises a few times but I'd account for that by me stumbling to the can in the dark half asleep.

That's Lobby to you mate :D

I dunno about Strieber's windows, but I remember him writing about an owl looking at him ...

The Sandman was in Tom Thumb but wasn't he called the Yawning Man?

well he was yawning ...

mooks (I'm not sure I want to believe) out

one of us, one of us ...

LobeliaOverhill said:
I can't think of another explanation as to whom the Sandman might have been, and I've no idea what I found so frightening about that window ...

Ghosts or ultraterestrials? I'm sure before people started writing science fiction an abduction experience would be ascribed to the work of the faireys, elves, picsys, mole men or something. The tales of people disapearing in fairy circles are pritty much a staple of folk lore in Britain and Ireland and do hold many similarities with reports of alien abduction and similar experiences.

alb said:
I remember thinking, at the time I read your post, that it was possible that you are a very suggestive person (I am too in different ways).

'Suggestible', surely? :D

'Suggestive, digestive! Know what I mean? Nod's as good as a wink, etc...' ;)

Mythopoeika said:
I saw it a few times and experienced it myself once during my teenage years.
On one occasion, my class was about to start an exam, when one lad suddenly complained of a nosebleed, which had apparently started all by itself.
When it happened to me, I'd just woken up in the morning, and sat up in bed - only to find that blood started to trickle out of my nose.
I've had high blood pressure for years, and now have to take medication to control it.

I don't think I was ever disgnosed with high blood pressure, but my nose bleeds would just start whoosh

Mythopoeika said:

Och! Fur Fu...gh's Sake! :rofl:

Mythopoeika said:

Ooo-err missus! :p

go on, try suggesting me ...

It's late. Good night, late owls... :)

alb said:
But you were not abducted. That didn't happen. You need to understand that.
Ahem. (covers mouth politely to cover cough)

I have to say there is something about the words "alien abduction" which triggers an autonomic scoffing response.

However, for many people, recent pictures or descriptions of "aliens" have forced a confrontation with unpleasant memories... not forgotten, hidden or buried memories, just memories that didn't "fit" in with everyday ordinary life as we know it. The picture on the cover of Communion terrified many people because they didn't want those unpleasant memories to be real, but those memories were there before seeing the cover or reading the book.

What many skeptics seem to suggest is that reading the book created memories associated with the picture. That may be true with some people, but for many the opposite is true.

I don't like the "alien" theory myself. I do think something is happening, but it's old and earthbound. Some people are just destined to be "fairy led" or "tetched" and I don't know why that is. I would like to try and find out why by looking at some of the evidence and reading some accounts here that are not found in books.

I'm sorry, Alb, but it will be hard to do that if you interrupt an open discussion constantly by stating "it didn't happen". If you say you don't believe in it, I completely respect your opinion. If you occassionally point to other explanations as an "option" not a fact, that would be nice and helpful.

yes, alb, if you adopt a more Fortean attitude, maybe the discussion will go somewhere.

If I may, good folk...

A fascinating discussion, but I believe what Mr. Alb is saying is that he does not believe that this is an alien abduction. That is what is meant by "it didn't happen." I don't believe he is saying that Miss Overhill never had an odd experience of some kind. Personally, I am never quick to assume the paranormal explanation - it seems terribly unlikely and there is an absence of any hard evidence. Therefore one owes it to oneself to consider the possibility that it might not have been an alien abduction, but some other kind of experience. Question is what. There is every possibility, as Mr. Alb suggests, that this is some kind of psychological phenomenon which we do not fully understand. We simply do not know in enough detail how our brains work yet. Therefore it seems to me to be a terrible leap to take the experience at face value. I have conversed with people who have had similar experiences but did not believe they were abducted by aliens, however they were in no doubt about the experience despite not knowing what caused it.

Regarding fear of windows, I would group this in with fear of the dark. I would suggest that fear of a big dark window is down to the possibility of being looked at but not being able to see what is looking at you. Similarly with fear of the dark. This may be some evolutionary safeguarding mechanism to guard against being vulnerable to predators and alone.

Blimey one can't step out of the room without this thread taking off! Just a quick catch up:

alb said:
I had a hag dream

I think I had something similar twice.

Mine is here:

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=283411#post283411

have you added yours to the thread? It is possibly one of the best collections of such dreams around and potenitally an important resource for anyone looking into this so it would be a shame not to.

LobeliaOverhill said:
well them babies is gonna need a surname sometime soon!
:rofl:

Just use the traditional one amongst my people: "Imperial-Spawn" So you could have:

Zephyr Lily Hat Imperial-Spawn

Emps

I've had an alien (or as I prefer to say, non-person) abduction experience too, Lobelia. I agree with alb that it didn't literally happen, but then I don't think anything literally happens, it only appears that way. In fact, that's what this very experience taught me. And, unlike alb, I won't demand you share my interpretation.;)

Edited to spell "Lobelia" correctly.:eek:

alb said:
Do you believe that Lobelia was abducted? Or do you believe that it is an impression which remains in her mind for some interesting reason.

To answer for AM (hope you don't mind) - but are they mutually exlcusive.

If we are being open-minded about things then the best we can say is that:

"LobeliaOverhill had an unusual experience which she has interpreted within a general ETH framework."

We can't exlcude the possibility that it might well have been an alien sitting in her living room even if I (and others I suspect) might suspect that things aren't quite so obvious and the most literal explanation is unlikely.

Emps

So... if it wasn't alien abduction, what was it? Who was that skinny armed man with the glass wand? who were those fat nekked tan men in the living room? Where did I get those bruises from? Why did I wake up with a stiff neck and my back out? why do I have a "thingy" that you associate with childbirth?

I still haven't gotten a straight answer out of anyone ever on the subject

Lord_Flashheart said:
Ghosts or ultraterestrials? I'm sure before people started writing science fiction an abduction experience would be ascribed to the work of the faireys, elves, picsys, mole men or something. The tales of people disapearing in fairy circles are pritty much a staple of folk lore in Britain and Ireland and do hold many similarities with reports of alien abduction and similar experiences.

Thats an interesting point, Flash.

If one encounters a strange creature how dose one decide weather it's from another planet or not?

LobeliaOverhill said:
So... if it wasn't alien abduction, what was it?
Why not think of it as a fairy abduction? I prefer to think of them as fairies (or non-people, as Keel would say) but that's just me.:)

Emperor said:
Just use the traditional one amongst my people: "Imperial-Spawn" So you could have:

Zephyr Lily Hat Imperial-Spawn

Emps

and what about the girl one?

Bannik said:
Why not think of it as a fairy abduction? I prefer to think of them as fairies (or non-people, as Keel would say) but that's just me.:)

but Bann, fairies are totally different creatures to the one's I saw ... :)

Back