Amelia Earhart

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'm sorry; I see smudges.

I'm an archaeologist and sometimes I have to spot hidden sites, -often by looking for a pattern, man made things are often regular.

If you see a pattern then chances are you are looking at something artificial.

A plane, except if very overgrown/broken up/both has patterns.

http://www.anglingcharts.com/corribwrecks.html

These boats were located by observing this.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Its a great site, and one worth exploring.

And yes, some stunning underwater finds...mostly by observing patterns.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
A few articles published over the last year support the Nikumaroro Lagoon / Taraia spit hypothesis.

The linear object submerged in shallow water certainly merits a closer look:

earhart.png
earhart2.png

https://lostclipper.com/2021/05/20/was-amelia-earharts-plane-just-found-in-nikumaroro-lagoon/

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
This "Taraia Object" was reported over at the TIGHAR forum back in February (2021):

https://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,2169.0.html

Not surprisingly, Michael Ashmore (the person who identified the anomaly in early 2021) received considerable pushback on the idea that this visual anomaly represents a chunk of Earhart's Electra.

The most substantive such negative feedback came from TIGHAR admin Andrew McKenna, who wrote:
... Happy to go back and check it out, but we've already been to that spot and checked it out. In 2001 not only did we survey this part of the lagoon using divers on manta boards pulled by a skiff, but we surveyed this shoreline, including Taraia point, visually and with metal detectors. Folks have been back to Taraia Point several times since. I can say with relative certainty that if there has been a L-10 wing section there in 2001 or since, there is a high probability we would have noticed it.

It is possible that sands have shifted, objects exposed, or buried, but I think the odds extremely remote that a wing section got moved there since 2001. I don't think Taraia Point has changed that dynamically in the past 50 years. ...
https://tighar.org/smf/index.php/topic,2169.msg44138.html#msg44138

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Sands DO shift.

And AP really needs doing more than once, so many variables.

I think it needs checking out.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
So did the TIGHAR guys not find anything in the vicinity?
No wreckage of any kind, whether metallic or not, or even a submerged log that could possibly explain the elongated artefact?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
No wreckage of any kind, whether metallic or not, or even a submerged log that could possibly explain the elongated artefact?

Off hand, I don't know. You'd have to dig through their various site exploration reports to get a sense of how thoroughly they'd already checked the Taraia spit area.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
If its a spit then yup, sand movement.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score

An Electra was 38’ long. l’m eyeballing that anomaly as ~25’ long.

lf their metal detectors can’t pick up a target that size in apparently shallow water, they should be asking for their money back.

maximus otter

Last edited:

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Off hand, I don't know. You'd have to dig through their various site exploration reports to get a sense of how thoroughly they'd already checked the Taraia spit area.

I've now browsed the archive and note that Andrew McKenna, whose report you quoted in part above, concluded with "My personal opinion is that we're looking at a coconut log."

I agree that the trunk of a coconut tree, approximately 25 feet long (as Max estimated), lying in shallow water is certainly very plausible to explain the item in the photo. The fact that the item apparently wasn't there when divers investigated the precise spot though is also of interest. 19 km2 is a fair sized lagoon and objects can clearly move around within that area and become obscured or exposed by the sand. Furthermore, the Tatiman Passage, to the North West of the lagoon, is open to the sea and so objects could conceivably be swept into the lagoon and out again, to be lost in the depths of the Pacific.

Tom Maxwell

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
No need to speculate about the length of the object(s). Google Earth allows one to measure this object accurately. Or go to the location noted in my post 167 and measure. Recall your high school physics concerning refraction and virtual images.

Tom Maxwell

Fresh Blood
Reaction score
Google Earth measures the Orona object nose (A) to tail (B) as 52 feet. Correcting for the refractive index of water 52/1.33= 39 feet; the same as the L10E aircraft. Google Earth doesn't have a good image of the Gardner island coconut log.
Oronaraftandplane2 copy.png

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm sorry; I see smudges.

I'm an archaeologist and sometimes I have to spot hidden sites, -often by looking for a pattern, man made things are often regular.

If you see a pattern then chances are you are looking at something artificial.

A plane, except if very overgrown/broken up/both has patterns.

http://www.anglingcharts.com/corribwrecks.html

These boats were located by observing this.
We're just outside York and I think was only a year or so back that photos taken by a drone discovered a previously entirely unknown Iron Age settlement, in a field just outside the village... (Roundhouses must be fairly obvious from the sky I guess although this is very close to a small local airfield and nobody else had ever spotted it before...)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
We're just outside York and I think was only a year or so back that photos taken by a drone discovered a previously entirely unknown Iron Age settlement, in a field just outside the village... (Roundhouses must be fairly obvious from the sky I guess although this is very close to a small local airfield and nobody else had ever spotted it before...)
I'm old enough to remember the long hot dry summer of 1976 when the ground surface dried up and shrank, exposing long-lost ancient foundations and roads.

These were mainly spotted from helicopters - no drones back then - and photos were taken and published in the newspapers. Fantastic stuff.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Crop marks and drought marks dont show up every year, and some are very short lived. (Frost and snow marks are the worst).

This is why regular A.P. is important.