• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are All Psychics & Fortune Tellers Fakes?

Finally got a reply from the ASA. No idea what happened to the hardcopy that was supposedly sent on the 3rd Feb, but I'm willing to write that off as administrative cr*pness rather than paranormal intervention:

SUEMA MAILING

Thank you for your recent email.

We have considered the advertisement and we believe that, because the advertisers make so many claims that seem to be obvious breaches of the British Code of Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing, your letter will be best dealt with by our Compliance team, which will follow it up.

The Compliance team does not report to complainants or publish the result of its investigation but rest assured that we have noted your comments and we shall deal with the problem.

The Advertising Standards Authority website, http://www.asa.org.uk, contains information about the ASA and the work we do, including the results of our investigations into recent complaints about advertisements.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us.

Yours sincerely

Marianne Slesser
Complaints Handler

I've also sent a short account of this matter up to the dear Mr Randi in case he wants to use it in one of his weekly digests.

Looks like as good a result as I could have hoped for.

Weird. I got another one, this time from a man called Shark!

I'm wondering now if this is a new trend in psychic's advertising, or if someone's specifically targetting me:hmph:

How anyone can take that pot o' Scouse Stew seriously is beyond me.

An interesting link....

Good too see these so-called psychics, have logic, Primary Evidence and research applied to their "work."

It never seems to stand up to close scrutiny, does it?

Did anyone see the programme about mediums that was on BBC2 last Wednesday and the previous Wednesday, an hour each time (sorry, the title of the programme evades me).

There was one chap on there, Gary Smith?? scottish chap, nice looking who I thought was absolutely brilliant. Got everyone's names right 1st time, none of this whose Bob, Bill, Ben business.

Just wondered what your thoughts were of him?

Wasn't impressed by the other mediums, a couple, she looked like the reincarnation of Diana Dors and when they were setting up for their live show, was more worried about her costume changes!!

Sorry to be so evasive on names and stuff, I sound like one of them!!

We have to assume the stage show was edited for convenience and I would like to see the clips that were edited out of the programme during his act before I can make an informed judgement on this.

Indeed, the programme has merely focused on the positive aspects of the mediums shown and VERY little critical analysis has been applied thus far....

The last psychic i went to see before i left the UK had a terrible reputation but by god he was so accurate it still makes me think...

(John someone, based in Wolverhampton..... Any of our midlanders remember his surname???)

Fantastic site. Nice to see a damning collection of all these so-called 'psychics' bumbling their way through paranormal scenarios - I'm truly shocked by some of the statements I trawled through. Shame that we have to put up with leeches like this conning the general public into taking their word as fact. Bunch of bloody wannabe pantomime-starring muppets.

Bulldog,
you may be thinking of John Starkey,he used to do stuff on beacon radio and has also done tv stuff.He now has an office on the penn road.Charges a lot of money for very little time apparently.

That's the very man Judge Nutmeg, Penn Road, Wolves. As i said i didn't like his reputation but he was so accurate it was uncanny.
Thanks for the info... :D

Charged me 20 quid for about 15 minutes but it was worth every penny

Edit (What's Stevie Bull doing nowadays? God i do miss a good footy game.... Howay the lads!!)

I've been working abroad for the last year so unfortunately don't know what bully's up to although wolves are doing pretty crap at the moment.
I remember john starkey doing shows on "Live TV" a few years ago just a phone in show where he would do readings for callers.
He still does quite a bit of business at the moment.

regards from sedgley!

Sedgley Bonk!!!
Lived in Wolves and Netherton for 18 years. Worked in W Brom... F**k of West Brom!!!

John Starkey told me i would be living in a rural location when i was actually planning to live in downtown Ontario. He said that i couldn't do anything about it but it would all happen after 18 months had elapsed. The day i completed on my house sale, four days before i came here, was EXACTLY 18 months to the day after he'd done the reading!!

btw, they will be watching for the slightest cock-up on Most Haunted Live this weekend! So, stay tuned to the website!

Bad psychics closes down

Seems some people take this psychic malarkey too seriously. I got this from Badpsychics today:

----------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately due to recent threats against me and my finally after my home address had been passed about on the internet I am now having to take the unfortunate step of closing down the main site and forum.

This is a terrible step, but my safety is now a major issue and I cannot take the risks.

I would like to thank everyone for everything they have done over the past year and a half in making BP the great place it is.

I will take the forum down for a while, and hopefully give it to someone new to take over.

But from this point BadPsychics is no more.

The main site will now forward to Audiomartini which for the time being will carry on.

Please do not email asking for details as I wont reply.

Thanks and merry xmas

Jon and Nik Donnis
x

That's a shame. There were some fantastic essays on that site, and hopefully they haven't been lost for good.

Couldn't agree more - as an example of non-rabid scepticism, BadPsychics was one of the best.
Unfortunately due to recent threats against me and my finally after my home address had been passed about on the internet I am now having to take the unfortunate step of closing down the main site and forum.
Oh FFS! Poor sod - I mean, why do some people take stuff so bloody personally? If it's not physical intimidation it's threats of litigation.. :hmph:. I can understand why they've pulled the plug, of course, but the fact remains they shouldn't have to. You can expect flak online, that comes with the territory (and is oddly gratifying that some seem to get so marvellously worked up at the very mention of your name with very little effort on one's own part ;)), but once it spills into the real world...

I hope the site's back soon.

And I thought mediums were supposed to be all about love and light :roll: .
I liked the bad psychics site immensely and its a pity that this happened just as the site seemed to be raising its profile. The forum certainly made for entertaining reading. I hope this all gets sorted out soon.

I think someone didn't like Jon Donnis, the originator of the site.
He received death threats this time last year and passed the site on to his brown Nik. Jon returned briefly a few days ago, wrote a guest article on the main page - and now look whats happened.

I knew this would happen.

But i can't reproduce the sensation of foreknowledge under laboratory conditions and my predictions can be discounted as cold-reading and within expected bounds of statstical deviation.

Generally very silly that threats are made over such matters.

Of course some people will take against BadPsychics and any other overly sceptical site since there's a lot of money to be made in the medium business. This might also be the work of some rabid MH/Derek Acorah fan who has taken their support much too far.

People don't like being made to look a fool or gullible.

sonofajoiner said:
And I thought mediums were supposed to be all about love and light .
so did i but it seems not .I am in a paranormal group and one of our members made the mistake of critsizing a medium .Our message board came under attack for many weeks from this so called medium and their minons won't say who they are they are not worthy a mention on this board. The lies and abuse this person put on their site about us was totally shocking especillay coming from a person who claims to be love and light .
I'm outraged and disgusted at the actions of other so called followers of love and light never thought bad psychics would close tis a sad day :(

Perhaps a few of us on the FT message boards, or at FT Towers, could bail out and run Badpsychics?

sonofajoiner said:
And I thought mediums were supposed to be all about love and light

The genuine ones probably are but Bad Psychics exposed and critisized the charlatans of the industry - they are the ones who have no doubt been doing the harrassing because they consider they are being attacked.

it's sad though to lose such a fantastic site - I've only just discovered it really.

corpsechaser said:
The lies and abuse this person put on their site about us was totally shocking especillay coming from a person who claims to be love and light .
Happens a lot, unfortunately - all of the mods on here have been singled out for attention at some point or another, occasionally with justification, but more often with a mixture of exaggeration or outright libel. Just comfort yourself with the notion that those who rail need to do so to feel good about themselves and get the attention they clearly lack (and 99 times out of a hundred would run a mile rather than say it to your face) ;).
DrPLee said:
Perhaps a few of us on the FT message boards, or at FT Towers, could bail out and run Badpsychics?
Somehow I don't think Dennis would run with it: it's hard enough to get them to sort their own MB out :hmph:. Had I the time I'd certainly help, but TBH this MB is about all I can manage (had to resign modshp elsewhere as I couldn't devote the time to it).

stuneville said:
corpsechaser said:
all of the mods on here have been singled out for attention at some point or another.

mate...i would take it as a compliment that person or persons have put you on there "Tall Poppey" syndrome list and want to cut you off at the knees to bring you down to there level.

for them to percieve you as a threat tells me you are doing your job with the success...kudos mods,kudos.

for any mob to attack you just goes to show that all the agro they feel was due to "unforseen circumstances" on there part...ergo, they are frauds.

Revenge

sonofajoiner said:
"And I thought mediums were supposed to be all about love and light."

One very-well-known and highly successful later 19th Century London seance medium, female, was accused of hiring an assailant to throw vitriol into the face of a much younger and gloriously more attractive competitor.

Fortunately, the police seemed to have gotten tipped off before the act actually transpired.

"Love and light."

Back