• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Are Tesco delivery vans actually Asda?

Ermintruder

The greatest risk is to risk nothing at all...
Today I was in close and extended proximity to a Tesco home delivery van ('seasonal traffic congestion').

At least that's what it looked like, at first glance.

A conventional cubical refrigerated Tesco van, with what appears to be the standard red/blue/white-and-photos colour scheme. Except this wasn't painted-on, it was as if the whole vehicle had self-adhesive van-sized signage.

The back sticky panels of this one were flapping in the breeze. And guess what I could see underneath? Well, you know already, because of the thread title....but seriously, all I could see under the detached sticker was the green & white colours of Asda!! I couldn't see the actual logo of the competing company, but the exact tint/shape/feel was of an Asda truck, covered over!!

Which inevitably forces me to wonder...(as you are, too)...are Asda vehicles also really Tesco underneath their (presumably) stuck-on personas, as well?

Do they shed their skins, and defect to the opposite opposition, perhaps on exposure to heavy rain, or a set number of delivered fish fingers??

Really odd. Anyone got an insider perspective on this?

Are there deeper dimensions to this? Might you be secretly aware that Sainsbury vans are perhaps actually Morrisons under their orange facade?

Or, that BT Openreach wagons are actually Greggs pie-vans in disguise??

Last edited:
Different stores perform differently in different areas (no shit sherlock) It could be that Tescos has done better in your area than ASDA and so ASDA has sold their surplus delivery vehicles through an auction house and Tesco bought them.

Or it could be both Asda and Tesco outsource the job to the same delivery company.
But if so, 'they' manage to convincingly condition the drivers into believing that they're working for the respective supermarket company that they are personally (and automotively) badged as.

Most likely, it'll be a shared van supply company. One size fits all, and sticky signage gets slapped onto the side. Sometimes, it'll get layered. Maybe a van's gone rogue, sometime, ignored a written warning, say, and they've just shunted it onto another supermarket's home delivery department.

Or they could be selling drugs, like the ice cream vans do.

These ice cream vans are totally without a moral compass.

They think they're cool and sweet, but we've heard what they've been playing at. Asprin nougat wafers and Alka-seltzer ice-poles....plus, legal highs such as Callipos and half-melted Mivvis. Hanging around kids' playparks and at the beach....they constantly try pushing their coded confectionary- ha, 99, eh? A likely story. Probably a tramadol slider, with hundreds and thousands....

Round my way, they do a cracking screwball

A friend of a friend claimed he once saw inside the back of a TV detector van and there was absolutely nothing there...
That's the transport for the heavy mob. They smash your doors and windows to effect entry, and arrest you if you're there. If you're not, they drink all the beer in your fridge!

:evil:

Supermarkets usually lease their fridge van fleets from a hire company for roughly 3 years. After which, the hire company will either sell off some vans(usually high-milers) through auctions or they will send the vans back out 'on hire' to another supermarket. Depending on the company, the vans' graphics will be removed(usually vinyl wrap) or covered with another logo.

A friend of a friend claimed he once saw inside the back of a TV detector van and there was absolutely nothing there...
No, there was certainly equipment in them, at the peak of their use. It was a direction-finding receiver, similar to the WW2 Abwehr spy-finder trucks, but with 1960s technology.

Yes, they genuinely could detect someone receiving tv transmissions (which is like me being able to hear you hear me) by detecting the screen scan timebase oscillator up at 15,625Hz (if I remember correctly).

But they *couldn't* rely just upon this in court, I believe, unless the target suspect house was all by itself, say sitting on a hill or a country estate. A block of flats would've resulted in ambiguous readings, resulting in the desirous situation of a full confession from the miscreant.

I think in Denmark many of them were empty, as the equipment was expensive. They used the vans for show and they knew that if someone hadn't registeted a TV, chances are they had one anyway. So they just needed to bluff.

Depending on the company, the vans' graphics will be removed(usually vinyl wrap) or covered with another logo.
Bingo! What exactly is 'vinyl wrap'? Could a car thief instantly change the colour of a vehicle with it? (more easily done by stripping, than fitting it, I expect)

Bingo! What exactly is 'vinyl wrap'? Could a car thief instantly change the colour of a vehicle with it? (more easily done by stripping, than fitting it, I expect)

Custom-fitted vinyl wrapping has become a cost-effective alternative to repainting vehicles. It can be done in a day, and it can be removed so to leave the underlying paint job relatively unscathed. The cost has decreased to the point that some folks do it for strictly aesthetic reasons (i.e., a cheaper way of getting a custom paint job appearance).

For example, see this 2013 overview:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/g1105/how-to-vinyl-wrap-a-car/

Custom-fitted vinyl wrapping has become a cost-effective alternative to repainting vehicles.
Never heard of this!! If it becomes all loose and flapping-in-the-wind, like the covert delivery van I spotted, it may not last long in the popularity stakes. Thanks for the extended explanation.

Back