• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Artworks That Predict The Future

There's a pic of the painting in question at the bottom of the article. Not sure I'd rush to see his interpretation of it mind...

anthony_quinn_facets_of_liberty_embed.jpg
It's uncanny. How can you NOT see the event of 9/11 in that future-predicting piece of art?!

There's a pic of the painting in question at the bottom of the article. Not sure I'd rush to see his interpretation of it mind...

anthony_quinn_facets_of_liberty_embed.jpg

He fully intends to keep the original painting but that is a limited edition print, not it. You can faintly see the edition number in pencil at the bottom left of the picture, along with the signature of the artist to the right. I can discern a couple of zeros but that's all, it's one print out of a run of maybe 100, 200, 1000?

At a conservative estimate, let's say each print was $500 and that there were only 100 of them. That's $50,000. But I doubt they are that cheap, or that they are so few in number. Just think if they cost $1000 each and there were 900 available for sale.

Limited edition prints are basically either a scan or a high quality photograph of the original artwork that is then printed on demand. If you like the artwork, then fair enough, but it's worth it but bearing in mind that all you have is a very good computer print and not an original piece of art.

God forbid the painting should have been a marketing tool for the book! :eek:

I think the book might be a marketing tool for the print run.

I'm not saying that the artists signature isn't genuine - this type of printing was well established before he died.

Most people on here will be familiar with the correlations between Morgan Robertson 1898 book Futility or The Wreck of The Titan and the real life sinking of hte Titanic 14 years later. (A giant unsinkable transatlantic passenger liner called the Titan goes down after hitting an iceberg in the north Atlantic, most of the passengers being loss due to a lack of life boats)

But less well known, I think, is that the very same author wrote a story called Beyond The Spectrum about a Japanese surprise attack on the USA at Hawaii, the Japs being eventually defeated by an ultraviolet light weapon. Robertson, for the record died in 1915 long, long before Pearl Harbor. ...

Even less well known is a short story entitled “The White Ghost of Disaster”, published in Popular magazine and appearing on newsstands only about a week before the Titanic's sinking.

Not unlike Robertson's Futility, this story described a massive new ocean liner striking an iceberg and sinking with massive loss of life during a transatlantic voyage while sailing too fast for the ice conditions and ignoring warnings.

In the wake of the Titanic disaster "The White Ghost of Disaster" became a sensation owing to the coincidences.

This short story's author - one Captain Mayn Clew Garnett - turned out to be a pseudonym for disgraced writer Thornton Jenkins Hains. Hains had been a well-known author during the last years of the 19th century, but had become something of a pariah for having been involved - and tried, and essentially acquitted - in two murder cases years apart.

Hains' / Garnett's story is almost as weird as the coincidences between his 1912 short story and the Titanic disaster a week later. Read all about it in this Smithsonian Magazine article:

Twice Accused of Murder, This Writer Later Foresaw the Sinking of the Titanic
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/hist...foresaw-the-sinking-of-the-titanic-180979911/

Back