• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Astral Projection & The Christmas Tree

blacksekhmet

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
As much as I would like to say this happened to me, it didn't. This is my mother's tale, recounted a few times to me (under duress, mind you), so I'm posting it here via her.

This happened when I was about 5 years old. It was late January, and it was snowy and cold. The now old Christmas tree was propped up outside in the back garden waiting to be chopped up for firewood. It was a big tree, nearly 9 foot, as it always is every year. We have a very high ceiling in our family living room, it being an old coaching house.

Mum was tucked into bed one night when she said she felt a sudden urge to go and check on it, because she had this feeling it was going to fall over. Irrational, yes, but that's my mum for you. She says she got out of bed, clambering over dad in the process, went downstairs and hurried out to the back garden. She says that the door was unlocked, even though it's always locked in the evening.

She got outside and wandered about in the snow until she reached said tree. Now my mum is allergic to pine sap, but it never stops her from cutting down, transporting and putting up the annual festive centrepiece. I guess she can be a bit of a Christmas masochist. Anyway, the urge to secure the tree grew too much, and she grabbed hold of it, causing the whole thing to fall on top of her.

This is where it gets a little strange. As she and the tree hit the ground, she found herself waking up back in bed with an almighty start. She was freezing cold and says the bed around her was cold too, as though she hadn't been in it for a while. This she is definitely certain of, and she always makes a point of saying it, because she found it so odd. Despite the events, she passed it of as a vivid dream and went back to sleep.

When she woke in the morning, she obviously went to check outside to make sure she hadn't been sleepwalking. Sure enough, the back door was locked and the tree was where it had been left.

But mum found she had a very sore and swollen eye. A little poking around later, and she discovered, yes, you guessed it, a half-inch long pine needle lodged under her eyelid.

Of course, this could all be coincidence, but it's a nice enough tale to tell here. Mum's never been one for serious flights of fancy, so I've always been quite fascinated by this story.

Great story!

I don't know a whole lot about astral projection, so bear with me. If it were truly astral projection, would a pine needle really lodge in her physical eye, which presumably had been in bed the whole time? Especially since the tree didn't actually fall or anything... Or are apports common with astral projection? (if I'm using the term correctly...)

I agree this is a fascinating thread.

BlackSekhmet (marvellous name - appeals to my Egyptian soul), in your - or rather your mother's - account, the tree fell on her and they both hit the ground.

Might it be possible that she did go outside and did move the tree, but when it struck her it caused a very minor concussion, that she then 'acted on auto pilot' - came in locked the door and when to bed, but remembers nothing about that part of it? It's a long shot I know, but I'm sure we've all experienced the habitual drive home, then suddenly realise you have no recollection of certain parts of the journey that are so familiar your mind blanks them out.

Feeling cold would also suggest she did physically get up and go outside, and the bed lost is heat when empty.

Do you know if your mother remembers seeing her own footprints in the snow next morning?

Best

PK

Blacksekhmet,

This is interesting. You said that your Mother recounts this 'under duress', and that she wandered about in the snow. if you can pick a good moment to ask her whether the snow was till on the ground the next morning, and whether there were any signs of a struggle with a christmas tree (I would imagine there would be a scattering of needles around) in the snow we should be able to move this investigation on.............. 8)

blacksekhmet said:
This is where it gets a little strange. As she and the tree hit the ground, she found herself waking up back in bed with an almighty start. She was freezing cold and says the bed around her was cold too, as though she hadn't been in it for a while. This she is definitely certain of, and she always makes a point of saying it, because she found it so odd. Despite the events, she passed it of as a vivid dream and went back to sleep...

But mum found she had a very sore and swollen eye. A little poking around later, and she discovered, yes, you guessed it, a half-inch long pine needle lodged under her eyelid.
Could the dream have been an externalisation of anxiety about the stuck pine needle? Perhaps her subconscious knew about it, particularly as she seems to have a allergic reaction to the stuff... almost like her body could have recognised it.

The other thing that occurred to me, even if she had been alone in bed rather than with your old man, was that on waking the bed should have felt warm to her if her body temperature had actually been lower than usual. Does sound like a sensory dream remnant (tm) - does your old man recall anything about that night, whether she left or any change in her temperature upon waking?

Back