Astronomical News

Schrodinger's Zebra

Increasingly unlikely

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Within the next hour, Earth is again landing on Mars. EDL stands for Entry, Desent, Landing. The whole world's watching, no pressure.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Another live stream .. just over 40 minutes and we should be on the surface of Mars. As you do.

INT21

Justified & Ancient
Well, they did it.

If you think on what has just happened it is mind blowing.

I can sit here in a room in the UK. go onto the World Wide Web. Connect in real time to NASA, and watch the process of a lander arriving on Mars, also in real time. (with 8 minute delay).

Twenty years ago few would believe it even possible.

INT21.

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation
Well, they did it.

If you think on what has just happened it is mind blowing.

I can sit here in a room in the UK. go onto the World Wide Web. Connect in real time to NASA, and watch the process of a lander arriving on Mars, also in real time. (with 8 minute delay).

Twenty years ago few would believe it even possible.

INT21.
That reminds me of my grandfather. We sat up to watch Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin step on the moon and he said to me "When I was your age the Wright Brothers first flew and now I'm watching this."

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
If you're referring to CN's post ... There aren't any links - he posted an unlinked image.
Rather than posting four direct links, no need to take up that bandwidth!

(Did I just say, 'bandwidth'! - have to remember I grew up with the early days of modems, where bandwidth was precious!).

Jim

Abominable Snowman
Rather than posting four direct links, no need to take up that bandwidth!

(Did I just say, 'bandwidth'! - have to remember I grew up with the early days of modems, where bandwidth was precious!).
If it's a link to video i.e.: you tube then it takes a moment to load. However if it's just URL's to say an article they take up no to little time to load, hence virtually no extra bandwidth needed. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
If it's a link to video i.e.: you tube then it takes a moment to load. However if it's just URL's to say an article they take up no to little time to load, hence virtually no extra bandwidth needed. Hope that helps.
Yes, cheers for that!

Last edited:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Totally worth the pain of perusal, quite a long history of black holes, also some very recent findings.

The newest idea seems to be that the event horizon is not a surface or the equivalent of a surface as we'd think of it so nothing interacts with it.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient