• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Attacked By Aliens (YouTube; "thepolishedknob")

Total bullshit. The guy gives it away with his overacting. The footage itself isn't bad. If he'd just shut up, or remove the sound, it would be a lot more believable.

"thepolishedknob" 's belief in the alien weapon is very reminiscent of the way a cat will chase a laser pointer across the wall. ;)

I have to say that I am easily fooled but then on the other hand I pride myself with very good people knowledge. Having watched all three clips, these points jumped straight out IMO:

Pro:
- I think the swearing is no indicator of anything, that's just the way teen boys express themselves ;)
- The way how the camera holder has to ask where it has gone and his friend giving him directions.
- All camera movements are those I would expect someone to do if confronted with something they are not sure about where it is. [Meaning that if it was a hoax, you'd know where it is and even if you'd try and disguise the fact that you know, it would show.
- The fear of going out after the thing shows its light source. Camera boy stays in a safe place behind the doors and is reluctant to go out.
- Short showing of friend, who looks worried, his arms are crossed and he doesn't look sheepish. There is real concern in his face.
- Trembling voice. You can hear real trembling in the camera boy's voice at some point and the way he says [swears] things sound appropriate for what is happening.
- Logical moves that are only made after a while. Such as switching all lights off. A hoax would not develop so naturally, they would know when to do what and it would be acted out in a predictable way.
- The 'alien's' light source looks like a laser in the last posted video, yet is seems big and round front on.
- Disappearance of said alien when it could be milked a little longer in a hoax.
- Camera boy's insistence that it is true and his anger towards non-believers. Often with hoaxes, the less is said the better, as you can only dig yourself in deeper.
- Alien is not CGI. Size of alien is obvious and has to be a smaller child [brother?] or indeed a small creature.

Of course we could have some very clever boys here and it could all be a hoax, these are the things that are a little too obvious:

- Alien looks too much like you'd expect.
- Alien is too good to be true.
- They swear too much??? :?
- He has a night vision camera handy when this happens.
- The two seem 'home alone' and hence a hoax would be easier to pull off.

Do I believe or not is impossible to say at this stage but whilst other videos in the past had me LOL because they were so obvious, I have to say this is a good one, either real [or they believe it to be real] or two boys that should be snatched up as future film makers as they certainly have the talent. I won't make my mind up yet and see what everyone else is thinking and check it against viability.
Interesting, good find!

Dingo667 said:
Such as switching all lights off. A hoax would not develop so naturally, they would know when to do what and it would be acted out in a predictable way.

I'd move that to cons, it's horror cliche. Happens in "Scream" a couple of minutes in.

I would move a few of those things to Cons. It's all rather too obvious and too well rehearsed in my opinion. The way he describes the scene as well as showing it on the camera, is more like written word than spoken.

The alien itself stays at just the right distance and covered by just enough fauna to remain for the best part hidden, thus not having to be a very good fake.

Rather than his voice being crackly and nervous, I found it to be filled with a nervous joviality, like he couldn't keep in the fact he was pulling the wool over people's eyes. There was no apparent fear, or sense of danger, in my opinion.

With the sound off, the video is a lot better and a lot more believable. But even then, I think the alien is a little too classic-grey.

One of the big tells for me, was at the start, when he's talking to the cat and videoing it. His voice is already building up, like something is about to happen. He flicks the camera to the left much too soon, when all the cat has done is look in one direction for a split second. It was as if he was waiting for the cat to look in that direction at all, and when it did, he jumped the gun and immediately took the opportunity to get things going.

For me, personally, I think he makes the mistake of an amateur actor. He overacts everything, thinking that the overreaction will show the emotion as stronger and more intense. Instead, it just makes it all look false and put on.

DieDieMyDarling said:
Total bullshit. The guy gives it away with his overacting. The footage itself isn't bad. If he'd just shut up, or remove the sound, it would be a lot more believable.

Yeah, too much use of the F word gives it away a bit.
And the crappy, Blair-Witch style filming that never shows very much.

The video with the first encounter had too much "fuck" for me to take it seriously.

I actually quite enjoyed these. I like the way they're asking viewers to suggest ways to communicate with the thing and direct what's becoming a neat (if silly) little story. I think it's more a couple of kids making a Blair Witch-style fake series than really trying to pull the wool over people's eyes. The way their page and everything is set up it feels more in keeping with some of the older is-it-or-isn't-it-real web dramas.

So a bit of both CS/BS in my book :)

(Although this kind of stuff doesn't really help anyone who's seriously trying to study these kinds of tales/phenomena...)

Why is this 'alien' still hanging around this guy's house?

Mythopoeika said:

He must have some strawberry ice-cream, everyone knows they love strawberry ice-cream.

DieDieMyDarling said:
Mythopoeika said:

He must have some strawberry ice-cream, everyone knows they love strawberry ice-cream.

Hey. But I like strawberry ice-cream!

Oh, shit...busted!!!

Spookdaddy said:
DieDieMyDarling said:
Mythopoeika said:

Hey. But I like strawberry ice-cream!

Oh, shit...busted!!!

I had wondered if there was at least one alien out there on the FTMB. Now we all know who it is! :D

sherbetbizarre said:
And after a quiet few months, the Reticuli Greys turn up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU9Am-D_2_c

Not that fellow again.
It's a bit like 'Most Haunted', but with 'aliens' instead of ghosts!

There's a lot of panicky running about, overuse of the 'f' word and nothing is ever seen.

I like them, I think he has done well.

He could really cut down on the swearing though, really no need for it.

I love one of the comments:

"are we going? to get a christmas special?"

:rofl:

Moooksta said:
Why doesn't he cut the grass?

Because it hides the wiring to the lights he set up to look like 'aliens'.

Mythopoeika said:
Moooksta said:
Why doesn't he cut the grass?

Because it hides the wiring to the lights he set up to look like 'aliens'.

Aaaaaah..yes I see.

Actually looking through a few of his videos there is one where the grass has been cut back but alas no follow up to it.

There's another where he claims they tried to abduct him which features the lad floudering hilariously in the grass.
He also attempts communication with the "entity/puppet" to the effects of "Hullo", "What do you want?", "Where do you come from?"...though no reply is given.
One of the vids has a zoom into the things eyes which are quite well done.
And another which features his dear old mother being roused from bed to escape the tall ones.

He's really going for it.

Are there awards for these kind of videos?

(Edited due to stoopid stubby fingers)

Does this guy actually make any money from this?
If he is, I might start doing this nonsense for a living.

Mythopoeika said:
It's a bit like 'Most Haunted', but with 'aliens' instead of ghosts!

Exactly what I was thinking!

And I'm also thinking "boring."

SameOldVardoger said:
The video with the first encounter had too much "fuck" for me to take it seriously.

I don't know about anyone else, but if I encountered an alien skulking around my language would be a lot worse lol

disgruntledgoth said:
SameOldVardoger said:

I don't know about anyone else, but if I encountered an alien skulking around my language would be a lot worse lol
Well, yeah at first. But after a year's worth of these "attacks" I'd probably just start waving "hi" on my way to work.

Of course, if these were real aliens, they'd have actually done something other than stand in the grass, or moved on to their next target.

Yessssssssss........decent footage y'say..... :sceptic: .....hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

That said....if the kid's acting...he's bloody good. Listen to how he controls his breathing at one point.

Not convinced.

Back