• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Attempting To Legally Change One's Age

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
So you are 69 years old, but feel like a 49 year old. Try change your age legally.
------------------------
Tinder user, 69, who identifies as a 49-year-old asks court to change his age

Emile Ratelband says if transgender people are legally allowed to change sex, he should be allowed to give himself a new age

A single pensioner has launched a legal battle to change his age so he can go back to work and meet more women on Tinder.

Emile Ratelband, 69, wants to be recognised as a 49-year-old because he feels 20 years younger, but his application was refused by his local authority.

He argues that if transgender people are legally allowed to change sex, he should be allowed to give himself a new birth date because doctors told him he has the body of a 45-year-old.

The entrepreneur and self-help guru, from the Netherlands, is suing his local authority after they refused the amend his age on official documents.

Mr Ratelband's case has now gone to a court in the city of Arnhmen in the eastern Dutch provice of Gelderland.

He was born on March 11, 1949, but says he feels at least 20 years younger and wants to change his birth date to March 11, 1969.

More at https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/tinder-user-asks-court-change-13548546

So you are 69 years old, but feel like a 49 year old. Try change your age legally.
------------------------
Tinder user, 69, who identifies as a 49-year-old asks court to change his age

Emile Ratelband says if transgender people are legally allowed to change sex, he should be allowed to give himself a new age

A single pensioner has launched a legal battle to change his age so he can go back to work and meet more women on Tinder.

Emile Ratelband, 69, wants to be recognised as a 49-year-old because he feels 20 years younger, but his application was refused by his local authority.

He argues that if transgender people are legally allowed to change sex, he should be allowed to give himself a new birth date because doctors told him he has the body of a 45-year-old.

The entrepreneur and self-help guru, from the Netherlands, is suing his local authority after they refused the amend his age on official documents.

Mr Ratelband's case has now gone to a court in the city of Arnhmen in the eastern Dutch provice of Gelderland.

He was born on March 11, 1949, but says he feels at least 20 years younger and wants to change his birth date to March 11, 1969.

More at https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/tinder-user-asks-court-change-13548546

Saw this chap on the news yesterday and my first thought was how stupid this was but then I realised... is it actually any more daft than people who want to be gender binary or whatever the term is?

And the answer is... no. Sadly, it isn't any dafter than that.

*shakes head in despair*

Changing your age to suit how you feel or how you are perceived has long been the province of female humans. I see nothing wrong with a male human trying to do it legally.

Saw this chap on the news yesterday and my first thought was how stupid this was but then I realised... is it actually any more daft than people who want to be gender binary or whatever the term is?

And the answer is... no. Sadly, it isn't any dafter than that.

*shakes head in despair*

Indeed.

One thing if you're Transgender, quite another if you're just being a hipster.

trans.jpg

Ratelband's gambit can't be construed as anything other than a publicity stunt, because it's utterly nonsensical from a logical or legal perspective.

There's really no such thing as 'age' in the sense of a fixed-point and purely legal construct whose value is subject to negotiation, much less change, in an abstract legal context.

Age serves as both a metric (factor subject to measuring with respect to a scale or range) and a measurement (in time elapsed since date of birth). The general notion of a metric is cited in legal usage, but it's the measurement that has legal force and implications. This measurement is prescribed with respect to external / 'objective' evidence establishing a birthdate.*

The 'age' that Ratelband seeks to change is actually an informal socio-cultural construct distinct from the formal / legal metric and entirely unrelated to the associated formal measurement.

*NOTE: Where hard evidence is ambiguous, contradictory, or non-existent an approximate or specific birthdate (for legal purposes) may be prescribed via analysis of available evidence / testimony and rendered actionable by formal decision. (In one of my former working lives I was trained / empowered to do this, I had to do it more than once, and there were people whose legally recognized age measurement was based upon my formal judgment and authorized on my signature alone.)

Here's an update to the Ratelband story ...

Dutch court rejects man’s request to be 20 years younger
Dutch motivational speaker Emile Ratelband may feel like a 49-year-old but according to Dutch law he is still 69.

A Dutch court on Monday rejected Ratelband’s request to shave 20 years off his age in a case that drew worldwide attention.

“Mr. Ratelband is at liberty to feel 20 years younger than his real age and to act accordingly,” Arnhem court said in a press statement . “But amending his date of birth would cause 20 years of records to vanish from the register of births, deaths, marriages and registered partnerships. This would have a variety of undesirable legal and societal implications.” ...

FULL STORY: https://www.apnews.com/ecc264320c614bb0ac1526a7de881aea

I'm sure I read that someone who had gender re-assignment surgery had their birth certificate amended to change name/gender on it - to me that's basically the same thing, what about those years of records?

If people can change gender, marry inanimate objects, claim they identify as a different race or they now identify as a plank of wood (maybe not that one but i've read about the others and i bet it won't be long until someone somewhere does!) then why can't he change his age if his dr says medically his body is 20 years younger? I may fancy being 20 years younger myself in the future!

Of course I don't really think anyone should be able to do that, but if people can in theory change so much about themselves then why not age as well? I think the world has gone crazy and he's making a good point, how far can you take it these days?

Maybe just my uninformed opinion but there you go!

I'm sure I read that someone who had gender re-assignment surgery had their birth certificate amended to change name/gender on it - to me that's basically the same thing, what about those years of records? ...

It boils down to this ... Name and gender category changes affect only a recognized state or status as of a particular point in time. A driver's license changes a person's legal state from unauthorized driver to authorized driver. A marriage certificate changes a person's legal status from unmarried to married. These are all socially or legally recognized states that don't have any meaning beyond abstract legal conditions or requirements.

An age (date of birth) change modifies the record with respect to time itself - a universal index or 'yardstick' against which a number of legally actionable measurements are registered.

Imagine a situation in which everyone was formally and legally categorized with respect to their relative height (e.g., 'Tall'; 'Medium'; and 'Short'). Ratelband's approach would be analogous to re-defining the units of universal measurement (i.e., the applicable 'yardstick' increments) just because he didn't like the current results, and solely with reference to himself.

It boils down to this ... Name and gender category changes affect only a recognized state or status as of a particular point in time. A driver's license changes a person's legal state from unauthorized driver to authorized driver. A marriage certificate changes a person's legal status from unmarried to married. These are all socially or legally recognized states that don't have any meaning beyond abstract legal conditions or requirements.

An age (date of birth) change modifies the record with respect to time itself - a universal index or 'yardstick' against which a number of legally actionable measurements are registered.

Imagine a situation in which everyone was formally and legally categorized with respect to their relative height (e.g., 'Tall'; 'Medium'; and 'Short'). Ratelband's approach would be analogous to re-defining the units of universal measurement (i.e., the applicable 'yardstick' increments) just because he didn't like the current results, and solely with reference to himself.
Thank you for clarifying, lots of food for thought here

If people can change gender, marry inanimate objects, claim they identify as a different race

Change gender - yup, can legally be done.
Identify as a different race - usually a scam or sometimes a desperate measure to escape persecution.
Marrying inanimate objects - not allowed in any culture. Such 'marriages' are stunts.

Back